It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

DCV Checking in.....

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2006, 01:49 PM   #1
DCV
Veteran
(male)

DCV HB User
DCV Checking in.....

It has been along time since I last touched base here. I am happy to say I've been off of opiates for a year now. I must admit that I'm taking suboxone, but I don't get high from it and never did except for a barely perceptible high in the very beginning of suboxone therapy. I see my psychiatrist about once a month now instead of weekly, and I'm down from 32 mgs a day to 16. The plan is to continue reducing my dose by about 2 mgs a month from now on untill eventually I am off of it. I wish some of the new folks here could have know my situation when I first got involved on the message boards, I was a mess, on percocet and oxy, or any opiate I could ge my hands on. Life was miserable for me, the endless search for drugs, the fights with my wife (who is still with me bless her heart) and all the attendant problems that come with drug addiction, you name it, I had it. I'll check out some of the threads, see if I can help out. Just remember, that it can be done, it isn't easy but if I can do this so can you.

Last edited by DCV; 05-16-2006 at 01:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
NightSwan76
(female)

NightSwan76 HB User
Re: DCV Checking in.....

Hey there DCV. Glad to hear your kicking your addiction in the butt! How long do you think you will need to be on Subs? Subs never did it for me...I would take them and they would make me really high for some reason so I had to Cold Turkey it.
It's so great to read about all of you wanting to clean up your lives. People have such a misconception about addicts, that we want to be the way we are. I don't remember being a child, daydreaming about sitting at my desk or a toilet with a rolled up bill and credit card and crushed pill.
Maybe that's what we need to do...get the message out about addicts and what it truly means to have a drug problem...and not treat us like criminals!
So DCV...how long and how much were you using?
Missy

Old 05-28-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
Gangstar
(male)

Gangstar HB User

YEAH MAN!!! I still check tha boards out every month.. maybe every few months. Im still battling my addiction as well. I remember you DCV...it was about a year ago, maybe little less. I also havent been on this site lately and find it crazy that we touched back at the same time! Lol

Glad youre doing well...keep it up!! I have been off Oxys for over a month now, again, for the 10x! I gotta admit, Ive been taking, first large...then lowering the mg's... suboxone or methadone to stop the w/d's. Gettin off that, hopefully not long. Ill talk to you later man, hang in there and Im gonna check some of these stories out myself...

Old 05-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #4
DCV
Veteran
(male)

DCV HB User

Well, I started on 32 mgs per day, I'm now down to 14 mgs per day and I'm doing great. I'm to the point that I'm reducing my dosage by 2 mgs per month. I have not taken an pain killers in over a year now. Have no desire to either. I'm sure I've got this thing kicked. Just the thought of swallowing opiates makes me sick now. Let alone the thought of lying around in withdrawls, the depression, self hate. I don't want anything to do with it anymore. So, hopefully in six or seven months I won't be taking the suboxone either.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
logalind
(female)

logalind HB User

Thanks for the read I am trying to taper but, I am scared it won't work. The more I read about the sub's I think it may be my only hope of getting clean. Reading your post gives me hope. Congratulations and keep up the good work.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
DCV
Veteran
(male)

DCV HB User

I actually went the taper route myself for awhile. It's just that I couldn't handle it, I did well for awhile but its just nearly impossible to control the urge. I did well on a taper for about six months. This is just me, we are all different, but opiates have the same effect on all of us, it is they way we react to the issue of addiction that determines what the proper therapy will be. And for me, it was either cold turkey or suboxone therapy. While suboxone takes longer, for me it works. I coulnd't hack CT. You must remember that the opiates bind to a brain cell receptor that is very primative. So primative that we cannot conciously control it with willpower alone, this is part of what people talk about when they say the body becomes dependant and like you need it to feel normal. But when I stopped to count how many percocets I took in one day, and the fact that all I was doing was keeping my sick off, I knew I was in deep and needed professional help. I look back on it now, and am so thankful I didn't wreck my liver. I had a physical a few months ago and liver functions were pretty normal, still there has to be some damage in there. I'm not trying to scare you logalind, you know this already. I urge you to make some phone calls, suboxone is very expensive, hopefully you have insurance to help with the cost. But I do, highly recommend suboxone therapy. Stick with that taper, quit CT if you can, but you have to quit. It hurts, it isn't easy, its the hardest thing I've ever done. But I'm me again, I have my life back, my self respect, my family is intact and I didn't lose my job. I've read so many sad stories here about people losing loved ones to opiate addiction, their jobs, their marraiges, they've wrecked their lives in pursuit of opiates. Keep us informed, and I'm sending you the power, the power to quit.

Closed Thread