It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

I'll tell you about my tramodol addiction

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2006, 02:58 PM   #1
solars
Inactive

solars HB User
I'll tell you about my tramodol addiction

Well, I started taking the ultram about 3 years ago for for back pain/nerve pain i have from a major, traumatic back injury. I am still in pain, but you know the pills don't relieve it really... Just make me not care and since i was able to detect addiction within the first month of taking them, i just kept it up to prevent the wd.

So its now day 8 of cold turkey.

today is the first day the physical withdrawal symptoms have lessened almost to the point of completeness. I'll still get a few sneezes in and a couple cold chills (though strangley the "cold turkey" skin has stopped). The mental anguish continues. Major depression, desperate feelings, anxiety and no energy. I am still kinda emotional, but its getting better or turning to bitterness... i dunno which (probably just confused!). All i know is that it sucks and some light is flickering in what seems to be a very long, dark tunnel. Well, its Friday afternoon now (quit my 4 ultram a day habit the previous thursday)

I never abused them or anything, but still i knew the reason for the continued use. I really just don't want that embarrasment and i hate the feeling of an un-natural, external source dictating when its time to dose up. Just not the way i wanted to live and to be honest (im not too irrational today) i have actual driven people i love/loved/friends out of my life in the past because of my new best friend, the tram. I just didn't really seem to care about much of anything else. The WD is horrible, you will start dealing with whatever issues you have placed on hold while you were taking them.

So, i wanted to post today to let everyone know that the physical parts does end and ends relatively quick, but from logical observations, i can assume the mental, anxiety, depression will continue on for some time, but i think its getting better, slowely.

Has there been any posts from someone just beginning withdrawal and then posted a follow-up to there recovery say, three months or even a year down the road and are still successful? I never knew that pills could make life so bearable. This is my second time detoxing off this stuff, hopefully for good.

I am glad to report that for the sleepiness, it can be handled (in my case) with a 10mg dose of flexeril and 10 mg ambien..... Just take the ambien when you are in a dark room lying down, take it and go back to shut eye. The pleasurable feeling of being up and around on it can lead to yet another addiction i assume.

slowly..... trying...... to discover the old me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
kim4074
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User
Re: I'll tell you about my tramodol addiction

Yes there are several success stories on here, then there are alot of failed attempts too. I have seen alot of people come on here go through w/d's and get everyones support and ideas of what may help get through think they are cured and disappear. To return in 6mos going through it again. Then disappear again so on so on. I was clean since easter and today I found 2 pills and took them. I'm ****** at myself right now. Once the physcial w/d's are done most people think its a walk in the part. I now know that was the easiest part. Its the mental w/d that will make or break you. YOu have to be stronger than it. Unlike me today. But to answer your ? yes there are success stories. I wish I was one of them but I ruined that today. But I will keep moving on towards the ultimate goal which is recovery. That doesnt stop with the physcial w/d's. I wish some people would understand that but we have to learn on our own. But yes keep posting and keep working towards your goals. You can be the next success story. I never left this site once I went through w/d's and it has helped me to remind me of where I was when others go through it. I am not recovered, I am an addict and always will be. I detoxed off lortab 10/500 anywhere from 5-10/day. Good Luck. Kim

Old 05-19-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
cskalski
(male)

cskalski HB User

Kim, you should be proud of what you accomplished, and don't get down on yourself. I personally think that talking to a bunch of addicts that are still using can be a sort of trigger in this environment. My sponsor has always told me to proceed with caution in online support rooms. Just being honest. It probably doesn't help to have me here going on and on about my coming off methadone with hydro, but believe me it was/is neccesary.

So don;t be hard on yourself Kim. You feel guilty so I assume your determination is still there to remain drug free. Maybe you can get to a meeting??
Support in person is very, very helpful. I am stuck with 3 kids right now so I can't get to meetings a lot of the time.

Best wishes,

Chris

Last edited by cskalski; 05-19-2006 at 05:03 PM.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
kim4074
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

Actually coming here helps me with recovery. Everyone reminds me of where I came from. I had so much support on here from such great people I feel like I need to help others. It doesnt trigger anything for me it does get frustrating at times cause some people dont listen to others on here and think they got it beat just to return time and time again. I dont plan on being one of those people. If I can help just one person I have done my job. If I can let one person know that it will be ok. If I can help anyone in their recovery through my own personal addiction and the story behind it I have done my job. I feel as though I owe it to people to be there as they were for me. And to be honest I have made some good friends I can come here and talk about anything and people listen which also prevents me from using. Its holding everything in that gives me the triggers its when I feel I have no where else to turn I turn to pills. So this board has helped me so much why not help others. Sorry Solars for taking over your thread I will give it back now. Just keep posting and stay strong and were here for you when you need us. I wont beat myself up for today I feel as though I failed I thought I was pass that but that is what I am trying to get people here to understand your NEVER pass that stage. Thats what sucks. Ok Solars heres your thread back. Keep your chin up. Kim

Old 05-19-2006, 05:32 PM   #5
cskalski
(male)

cskalski HB User

Solars-How bad was the withdrawl from 4 a day? I am just curious since I take 6 to 8 a day for severe rheumatoid Arthritis. I have never really worried about ultram-always seemed to me to be the lesser evil in the pain med department. As a matter of fact, my doctor at our local detox center who got me off of morphine and percocet in 2004 reccommended Ultram and all of the counselors said it was a good drug. So, since all these professional addicition counselors/doctors said it was ok, I never worried about it.
I guess a lot more people than I thought are having a rough time with it.

I really respect your effort to quit. I don't know if I can. I really do have severe pain and I have to keep up with 3 kids as a stay home dad. All are 5 and under so it keeps me running. Just to let you know, I am coming off methadone after 3 months at a clinic to get off of heroin. I am using hydrocodone/vicodin to control the w/d symptoms. I am finding that I am still sweating, have the runs, stomach is turning and churning, but the body aches and restless arms and legs are history since I added Ultram. I really believe Ultram is a seriously powerful drug as of today. I am just not at the point where I can deal with quitting everything at once. My kids are my biggest worry. I can't just lay around rolling all over the bed in agony in front of them. Well, I only got the Lortab/vicodin to get off the methadone and it really didn't work for me until I added the ultram.

Good luck
Chris

Old 05-19-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
cskalski
(male)

cskalski HB User
Smile Re: I'll tell you about my tramodol addiction

Hey Kim4074,
I meant no disrespect whatsoever. I apologize to you if I offended you in any way. I really like this board and certainly do not want to upset anyone. Sorry solars for using your thread to talk w/ someone else.

best wishes to all
Chris

Old 05-19-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
solars
Inactive

solars HB User

Hey guys. Well.... day 4, lets see... that was this past Monday and yeah, i was still having the "head zaps" or as i describe them (in my best charlie brown character voice) wha wah's as if everything gets real close and then far away really quick. I still had the cold chills through out the 4th day, still had no energy, not much of an appetite, anxious and couldn't sleep and it really does get better and i agree with kim that its a more mental thing, i mean if you thought that punching brick walls all the time made you able to be more social, happy we would probably be talking about the best way to wrap our fists or something, so yeah, its going to be mental and though this is the furtherst out i have ever been in the past 3 years from cold turkey (8 days today) i can tell it will be mental. I am a pain patient and i am in pain, but really, i am in less actual pain now because i am not trying to be superman on tramadol all the time (being superman upsets my bad back). All i have to say is that for me, the physical withdraws seemed to cease all at once which is today. I get an occasional sneeze here and there and boy... one thing.... SEX! I thought i was super stud lasting for over an hour in the sack haha, but i have now found out that its from the nerves being numbed because now, it feels REALLY good, but only lasts a couple minutes at best.... ha.

I agree, the mcneil made pains to make sure it was not a scheduled drug so it could be widely used without strings attached, I believe in advocating for ones self. No doctor is ever going to know as much about your condition then you... (at least in my case, cause i research the crap out of it and then quiz the doctors to test them, i know, i know... my mom hates that).

for 6 months literatly i was on 2 darvocets, 2 800 mg. ibuphrofen, 600 mg neurontin every 6 hours and it only touched the pain for about 2 hours.... but when i started the tramodol, i was able to stop everything else except the neurontin. Tramodol and my system have major affinity for each other or affection, my body felt like i was on vicoden and speed at the same time, a warm fuzzy blanket.... I took it off and got cold, really cold... I am getting warmer, i hope you get warmer too. If you wanna know anything else let me know. ROCK!

Old 05-19-2006, 11:13 PM   #8
kim4074
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

Oh I know what your talkinga about as far as being aroused!!!!! Let me know that things were waking up and I'm a female....... Go figure we get in the mood too, keep on achieving that goal you'll reach it. Kim

Old 05-22-2006, 09:43 PM   #9
solars
Inactive

solars HB User

day 11 now with no ultram! It seems to be going good for now, but it was kinda depressing durig the day, all i wasnt to do is eat junk foot and drive around listening to some really good rock and roll........getting some emotions tied up while driving and listening to rock....I hop tomorrow feels better then today. mood wise, i was just depressed as **** today....

Old 05-23-2006, 07:03 AM   #10
benzogirl
Inactive
(female)

benzogirl HB User

i came off of ultram a couple of times. maybe 8 a day for 6 or more months. the physical withdrawals lasted about a week, but the bouts of depression and agitation lasted around a month, then lifted. you are definitely over the worst of it, and you will definitely get over the mental part. ultram is not a narcotic, but it still binds to the opiod receptors just like lortab, etc. hence, the withdrawals.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:48 AM   #11
solars
Inactive

solars HB User

Today marks day 21 or three weeks since last ultram tab. I have starting on the elevil for sleep/anxiety/depression and it works fairly well for all three (including my sci pain) but i don't know how long i want to stay on it since it kinda makes me hung over half the next day, but the depression from the ultram addiction is starting to lift some and all the physical symptoms have lifted (thought i get lathargic, but primarily due to depressed episodes) I have pain, but know that pain meds are always the enemy and if the need arises, to use them, to do so VERY sparingly. I was never an abuser, just had a physical dependence on the ultram that i didn't like, so i quit. My pain is actually better off the drugs! its amazing the feats i would attempt while on ultram, its dumb. I figure i would check in with you guys to let fellow ultram users know that it gets better and easier each day (i notice a diiference primarily from week to week not day to day) so keep trying to kick it, its possible. Interesting how drugs contradict the reason you initially take them. Humans are complicated machines, impossible to control with drugs, how barbaric that seems!

Old 06-02-2006, 12:05 AM   #12
helpmarie
(female)

helpmarie HB User

congradulations solars for making it to week 4! ive read your posts very curoiously as i am currently using tramadol to get off of oxycodone. im going into day 4 and ive been taking the tramadol according to the prescribed dosage and it has controlled the shakes and lessened the pains of w/ds. ive been fighting the urges to take more, actually last night i doubled up to get some sleep. i just really dont want to trade 1 drug for another. i appreciate your posts and would like to hear more. i am starting to taper from the tramadol now and i think, like you said its more mental than anything else. thanks for letting me share.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:07 AM   #13
treace
(female)

treace HB User

Solars,
WOW! You are doing so well. Keep up the good work. I have not been able to go more than two weeks without tramadol since 1994 when it was first given to me as an alternative to an addicting drug. I really take a lot of it, so much that I will not even say the amount. It is too embarrassing. I just can't seem to go without it. I would rather have it than any other type of pain pill. I know that my addiction is mostly psychological even though tramadol does have an apparent opiate base. I have tried everything to get off the stuff. I have been to rehab numerous times. So many that it is embarrassing also. Most of the times when I have been to rehab the counselors and doctors practically laughed me out of their offices by telling me that it was not addicting in the least. Well, I have news for them. I am bipolar and am an ultra, ultra rapid cycler. I have been this way for about 20 years now. When I first was put on Ultram it was the first time in many, many years that I finally felt that I could actually live up to my duties as a housewife and mother. I am just like you said, "Superwoman". With my continued use all of these years, however, I wouldn't actually call myself that anymore. It is more like "Psycho-woman". Now all I want is to be able to get off of the "tram". I know that my life would be so much better without it, and so would the lives of the ones around me.

I am lucky that I still have the support of my family after all of this time. What I really need the most is to know what you did for yourself to get through these last four weeks. It would be so helpful for me if you know of a way that hasn't been tried yet. Believe me, I AM READY AND WILLING FOR ALL THE HELP THAT I CAN GET.

Thanks
Treace

Old 06-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #14
solars
Inactive

solars HB User

Yes, i have been on every pain killer, anti-depressant and muscle relaxers along with a good deal of benzo's. ..... Well, ultram is/was the hardest to kick and i think its primarily the fact that this drug works like an ssri effecting the seratonin and norepinephrine transmitters so not only does it trick into liking the opiate-like pain killer attributes, but it also will calm you down with anti-d qualities.

After searching and researching people on this drug, i think a great deal (maybe more then pure opiate addiction) is mental, though physical is very apparent too and i was taking the prescribed dose!

Having said that, i have dealt with anxiety and depression some in my life and this drug lifting those feelings away about 30-45 min after taking it each time! THAT was amazing, so i thought. Then it soon caught back up with me, taking the tramadol to stay functional. I was aware of the addiction after about 3 weeks of taking it and here i am over three years later finally giving it up.

It does get better, the physical part lasted about 16 days for me and the mental part (mainly depression) is starting to subside, though i suspect it will continue some more but things get better every day and they will for you too, i promise.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:01 PM   #15
kim4074
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

Solars I too take elevil for headaches man that drug is for everything isnt it. Dont worry the hangover will go away it does last about 3wks but you will start to notice once its built up in the system I took mine at bedtime and would wake up so groggy. I noticed if I took it earlier I wasnt so groggy the next day instead of 9am I would take it at 6-7pm and that helped with the hangover effect. But trust me it will go away thats the only problem with that drug. Now I have no problems though I dont wake up groggy or anything so stick it out it does get better I promise. Your doing great keep up the good work. Kim

Closed Thread