It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• oxycodone, Soma, Klonopin~anyone ever get off all 3 in a relatively short time?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2006, 09:51 AM   #1
    wrenegade
    (female)

wrenegade HB User
    Question oxycodone, Soma, Klonopin~anyone ever get off all 3 in a relatively short time?

Hi all,
    I have posted about the same issue in another thread and I am getting a lot of good advice and support, but I thought I would post under a different title and see if I could draw out some more of you great folks to offer your best advice.

I have been clean of "recreational drug addiction" for about 25 years, but I have had a very bad back condition for 30 years. I quit the pain meds when I quit everything else.

About 2 years ago, I started experiencing worsening pain from sitting too long at my computer job and stress (hurricane Charley for one thing). So I began taking hydro, then oxycodone. I've always had trouble sleeping, but this got worse as I entered "the change." So, I started taking Soma and Klonopin to help with sleep.

Now I am fed up with depending on pills and feeling so constantly tired. I want to get off of everything and start over. That way I can get a baseline idea of where my pain level truly is.

My husband will be gone for a week soon and I want to start while he is away (no need to torture him as well). As a teacher's aid, I have most the summer off, so this is the time to do this!! However, I really don't want to spend my WHOLE summer in misery. How soon do you think I could be through it?

My current doses are oxycodone/apap (10/500) 3 or 4 times a day,
    1 Soma and .5 to 1 mg Klonopin at night for sleep. I have taken an occasional .25 of the Klonopin at school for anxiety (I work with 15 Special Ed children; they are the best!!!, but can be challenging). I have also taken 1/2 of a Soma during the day for muscle spasms, but that is rarely.

My specific question is: Has anyone ever tried getting off of these 3 drugs all at once? How did you go about it? and What can I expect?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped on the other post and to all who may help on this one.

wren

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
    expat64
    (female)

expat64 HB User
    Re: oxycodone, Soma, Klonopin~anyone ever get off all 3 in a relatively short time?

Ask you r PM doc about sub or bup, not sure of their names. then you can get off without w/d, then get a feeling for your level then start over. if they'll let you do that. I'm on the PM board too, and going through something similare tring to get off so much oxocdone, can't deal with the w/d.

Last edited by expat64; 05-21-2006 at 11:54 AM. Reason: wrong board

Old 05-21-2006, 08:00 PM   #3
    cskalski
    (male)

cskalski HB User
    Post Re: oxycodone, Soma, Klonopin~anyone ever get off all 3 in a relatively short time?

Hey wrennigade. I really think you should take one drug at a time, and stop with the plan on doing it in one week while hubby is away. I would stop the opiods first, since you have the drugs that us opiate users use to come off them.
    Do you truly want medical advice from me, Dr, Chris, wtih zero accredidation?
    Ok!
    Taper your oxycodone down to 1/2 a pill in the AM and 1/2 in the PM. Take your klonipin and soma AS DIRECTED BY YOUR DOCTOR, but time your Klonipin dose to replace the morning oxy, and then the next day, take your klonopin dose instead of your evening oxy dose. Take the Soma for sleep help as well as for the muscle issues. You have real pain so take motrin for it. Don;t forget the motrin...it is THE BEST PAIN RELIEVER!!!
    After you get off the oxy I would reccommend going to AA/NA meetings. They are truly wonderful. Repeat the taper process to get off Klonopin next, and worry about the soma or ambien or whatever last.
    Hope this is the direct advice you were looking for. If I were you though...I would consider detox since you are cross addicted. Just wanted to throw that out there

peace
    Chris

Old 05-21-2006, 11:15 PM   #4
    madhatter
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

madhatter HB User
    Re: oxycodone, Soma, Klonopin~anyone ever get off all 3 in a relatively short time?

Have you tried the pain management board?

Old 05-23-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
    wrenegade
    (female)

wrenegade HB User

Hi Guys,

I did post a long post on my other thread about my decisions and meeting with my PM doctor today. I did not bring up about the sub/bup drugs. I know they are available, but I have heard of people having wd from them, too. Not true? Anyway, could you please read my other thread if you'd like to know my plan.

Chris, I do appreciate your advice and will keep your plan in mind, but I think I will start with the Klonopin for now.

Also, madhatter, I did post on the PM board and last I checked someone had suggested Provigil for the tiredness, but I want to try the drug-free route first and see if I can manage the pain naturally. I know I do have legitimate pain (spondylolithesis, L5-S1, grade 2) but not sure of the level now because of it's being masked.

I have stayed away from the PM board of late because I usually talk myself back into staying on the meds after reading about so much legitimate pain and addiction vs dependance, etc. I know I may need to go back on medication, but I am just going to try and see. I handled it naturally for about 25 years, but who knows, my body is growing older (48) I may need some medication at this stage.

Thanks again to all for your help, advice, and support.
    wren

Old 05-24-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
    WantMeBack
    (female)

WantMeBack HB User

I started Sub 2 weeks and 3 days ago. I came off at least 10 Lortab 10's a day; Dr. put me on 8mg sub/day at first visit. WD's disappeared. I did have some constipation but that has subsided now. I dropped to 4mg/day on my second day (my choice, not Dr. ordered) still no wd. Today I am down to 2mg/day. I am doing fine and don't seem to miss the sub dosage at all. I went into my treatment with the mindset that Sub is my stepping stone, not my band-aid. My life is more normal and pleasant today than it has been in well over a year. In fact, I am thinking of changing my sign on name to "GettingMeBack". Good luck to you, I hope you accomplish all you set out to do.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:44 AM   #7
    wrenegade
    (female)

wrenegade HB User

I am so happy for you. It sounds like you've nearly "Got You (Me) Back!" Please don't feel pressured to answer, but did you have pain issues?

At work, I did not have to do much physically taxing work or lengthy sitting times and didn't have as much pain. Now that I have been off work for almost a week, I've been trying some gardening and more sitting in front of the computer and my pain level has really shot up. This is while still on the meds, so I am a little discouraged and may have to face the fact that I may have to be dependant on something for pain. A thought that is very hard for me to accept.

However, I would still like to get off of the Klonopin for sleep. Can you use the Sub for one thing or is it like all or nothing? Is it expensive? It sounds like a wonderful plan? Keep up your good work! and thanks for your help.

wren

Old 05-29-2006, 02:08 PM   #8
    WantMeBack
    (female)

WantMeBack HB User

I have some minor lower back pain but never anything serious. I believe if the pain meds help people with moderate to severe pain, then they are a good thing. The only draw back is when people like me choose to abuse them. No one should feel bad about using meds legitimately! As far as Sub, it is only for opiate addiction. It is an opiate itself and it helps by taking the place of the pain pills in the receptors in your brain. I don't know much about Klonopin, but you can take melatonin to help you sleep. It is naturally produced by our bodies but it's production decreases as we get older. There are a lot of different brands of melatonin and you can buy it at any store that sells vitamins and herbs. The kind I have is a sublingual (place it under your tongue). I really like it because it helps me get a "natural" sleep and I don't get that hungover feeling the next morning. I hope this helps, of course everyone is different! Thank you for the encouragement. It really helps. Oh... as far as Sub being expensive... yes, it is kind of costly but my pain pill addiction was more expensive for me. I have heard that some health insurance companies cover some of the cost but I don't know how much or which ones. I personally don't have insurance so it costs me about $460 a month including the dr. visit. Another good reason for me to use it as a stepping stone! Hang in there
    D

Old 05-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
    wrenegade
    (female)

wrenegade HB User

You hang in there. It sounds like you are doing great! I know you can be drug free. I don't mean to sound preachy, but it was faith in the Lord that got me off and kept me off drugs. It is amazing to me that I can use them responsibly now, and I think I can finally "let" myself get the proper medication that I need for pain relief. I have made the decision to get on a LA med as my doctor has suggested before. I will still try to get off of the Klonopin, though, as I think it is a strong and maybe a dangerous drug. My DH and I used to own a health food store and I have tried many sleep aids including lots of different brands of melatonin. It worked okay for a while, then stopped. I got up to 10 mg which was supposed to be the limit. Does anyone know if you can take the natural/herbal sleep aids along with a medication?

wren

Closed Thread