It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Alcohol Binge and 911 call

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2006, 01:58 AM   #1
tattoogirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User
Exclamation Alcohol Binge and 911 call

Well just 2 days ago I had to call 911 because of an alcohol binge that lasted about 3 days. I was throwing up large amounts of blood (VERY SCARY). I was given oxygen by the paramedics, they could barely find any veins (i was sooooo dehydrated). Eventually they did and they started to give me fluids and sugar, since I was in a type of diabetic shock (bld sugar 70). I was in and out of consciousness (hadn't had a drink in 7 hours at that point). They said I was "frying my brain" at this point. My pulse was 140 and the EKG showed atrial fibrilations. I truly though I was going to DIE. I have OD'ed in the past and struggled with alcoholism, in and out of rehabs and groups, but never have thrown up blood, I mean it was alot. At the hospital they hand to stick a tube through my nose (completely awake) down into my stomach OUCH.....to drain blood. They gave me intravenous ativan and 2 more bags of fluid. I am 30 years old and in the past doctors said I need to stop because this will kill me....this time what they said (i was very close, and could have) REALLY sunk in. I feel so scared, my body hurts, but they gave me librium, which I am now on at home, still wake up in a puddle of water, but at least it is helping the shakes and stuff. I hope the damage isn't irrpepupable, since I have a son and cry for him just thinking how one can do stuff like this over and over with such a compulsion. I wish everyone well whos is dealing with this didease of addiction because it sucks you dry emotionally and physically. Thank you for reading this long post. God bless and I don't want to die!
Bella

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
ronniesteers
(female)

ronniesteers HB User
Re: Alcohol Binge and 911 call

Bella,

I'm an alcoholic who now still drinks sometimes (moderately) or at least try to drink moderately. You are right in that it is a compulsion. I got a DUI, had to go to counseling and attend AA meetings. The meetings work, have you tried to go to one yet? I have a daughter too and after blacking out, not remembering and various physical symptoms I decided that I didn't want her to observe her mother in that condition anymore. Once I made up my mind to do that, I drank less and less, although I know I shouldn't drink at all. But with each day there is the hope of progress. So I guess what I'm saying is that after all the trouble that alcohol has caused me I still crave the drug. Sometimes I give in. I also suffer from an anxiety disorder and alcohol initially makes me relax but later on makes me feel more anxious. I hope you find your individual path to sobriety - for each person it's different. Just because you have a compulsion doesn't mean you are a bad person. It's just that - a compulsion - I get those too for other drugs besides alcohol. Sometimes if I don't eat I'll crave alcohol too. Taking care of youro physical self is very important. Have you tried working out? Sometimes that helps me.

Old 05-23-2006, 06:01 AM   #3
feelbad
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Bella,so what did they Dx you as having?it does sound from what you have explained here thet you either have one huge ulcer or you have portal hypertension caused by cirhosis of the liver.either way,you have to stop drinking one way or another.in your particular case i really DO think you need to go into an inpatient sort of treatment facility where they can also monitor any medical issues you may be dealing with.

I really do think that this was the ultimate wake up call and you need to head it asap.if you were throwing up that much blood i am willing to bet that it is from direct damage to the liver.my son went thru this vomiting blood nightmare when he was in liver failure.i know its not pretty.if you are at this stage,it is crucial that you stop drinking,life threatening actually.If this little episode doesn't wake you up to that fact then nothing will.you say you don't want to die,and you also have a son.your son is your reason for doing this for yourself if nothing else will help motivate you to really get the help you so desperately need right now.i know this is not easy and it wont be easy,but nothing really worth having is ever easy.this just makes us appreciate it more when we attain that goal.and that we did it ourselves.

you really DO need to do whatever it takes right now to get yourself sober and to try as hard as you can to actually stay that way,or quite honestly,the alcohol will kill you.just look into the eyes ofyour son and imagine his life without you in it.i really don't mean to sound all nasty and lecture you,really,(and i am sorry if this is actually sounding that way.its not ment that way at all trust me)but you HAVE to see where you really are right now and take action while you still can.I really do feel for you bella.but this is crunch time.

you really DO need to find out just exactly where you stand here with regard to your health status and what the ER docs feel was and is going on with you.make an appt to see your primary doc and lay it all out for him as far as your drinking and needing his help to point you in the right direction as far as treatment programs and what steps you need to take as far as your health.but you need to start this process very very soon and get you and your life back on track,seeing your doc would be the best first step.at least he or she can help guide you thru this.

I will say a prayer for you bella,and hope that you can get thru all this,and be the mom your son really needs to have.but ya gotta start by getting to your doc as soon as you can to find things out and come up with a good plan of action.you are in my thoughts Bella,good luck,Marcia

Old 05-24-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
chicken84
(female)

chicken84 HB User

Tattoos,

I am also an alcoholic and have had some issues with my alcoholism. For me though, it was a matter or making a decision and doing it. This disease is about action, if you want to get sober and truly want it, you will have it. You just have to work for it, I wish you the best of luck and thank God you didn't die!!

Old 05-24-2006, 04:02 PM   #5
tattoogirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Well i am going for an ultrasound tommorrow I have severe right-sided pain...excruciating!!!!!! They are checking my liver and pancreas. Feelbad ugggghhh I am really scared now....I think you're right it might be my liver. I was put on heart medicine recently because my resting pulse has been 120...but my B/P has been o.k.....what other symptoms would I be having if it is cirhosis? Is any of this reversable? I also had blood work done today and an x-ray. Tell me anything you can please. I hope it is just an ulcer. Can I really have cirhosis at 30? I AM STOPPING DRINKING, chicken84....I HAVE MADE UP MY MIND!!!!!
Bella

Old 05-25-2006, 05:46 AM   #6
feelbad
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

sorry to have scared you so badly,it was just ment as a very much needed and vital wake up call.just when are lab results supposed to be in?alot of what comes next will depend alot on what they do and do not tell.

yes unfortunetly,it IS possible to get cirhosis at age thirty,it all just depends on how much you drank and the extent of damage.one of my hubsbands friends who he had known pretty much all of his life,who grew up in a rather totally dysfunctional alcoholic home with two alcoholic parents,died from the portal hypertension that was being caused by severe cirhosis.he was only 26 years old.they had not invented the TIPS procedure yet that actually saved my son from dying from it when we first found out that he had a liver disease.my sons really first big symptom of it was when he just started vomiting up blood at school one day.he was already down to only having about 20% of his liver function left and we hadn't even had a flippin clue that he was even sick!

the actual damage to your liver really is what you need to find out,if you stop drinking,some of the damage will actually repair itself,the liver can regenerate itself,but only to a certain extent.there are certain procedures that can be done to help reduce some of the symptoms you are having and will have,these (like the TIPS) can reduce some of the portal hypertension but there are other risks that can result just from that,tho relatively small.the thing is,if your portal vein is actually blocked at this point(this could be the reason you vomited up blood)this part of the damage,as far as I know,cannot actually be reversed,but just bypassed with the TIPS,this procedure just makes kind of a "new' portal vein that will allow the backed up blood to actually flow thru and this will then reduce that pressure that would currently be located in the upper abdominal area.this is what saved my son.

luckily,they are doing alot of newer things as they do more research into trying to halt the progression of actual total liver failure.they have come up with many new protocals and procedures even since my sons transplant was actually done almost seven years ago(it will be seven years in just a few weeks on june 7).Its just good to know that if this is what is actually going on with you right now,you DO have some options.but the vital and most crucial part of what this may or may not actually turn into is whether or not you maintainsobriety,constant and total complete sobriety.that is this will literally be the difference between whther you live or die.i hate to be so blunt bella,really,but hopefully what you stated is really true,that you ARE giving up the alcohol.

once you actually stop,the reversal of some of the damage will begin,this will not actually cure you if you actually have cirhosis but it will give you the best possible chances for a long life,possibly with or without a liver transplant.

but we could be getting way ahead of ourselves here too you know?you will just have to see what that US shows and also the very important bloodwork.

I will be hoping for the best for you Bella,really andf am relieved to know that you are choosing to stop drinking.just an FYI tho,if this should come down to(and this is just a small possibility)you maybe needing a liver transplant at some point down the road?you will not be able to even be placed on the 'list' for transplant until you have at least six months of proven sobriety.unfortunetly,new organs are sooo in demand that UNOS( the governing agency of transplants in the US)is not going to "risk" giving a perfectly good organ to someone who may get it and start drinking again,or if they show that they cannot even maintain their sobriety while they are actually dying from the very alcohol they are still drinking.seems fair espescially when someone like my son,who aquired his liver failure thru no fault of his own and just was the unfortunate recipient of an inherited gene that we didn't even know was in the family.I have this same disease too but mine is not quite anywhere near what my sons was with regards to his liver.he just was the victim of a disease that slowly destroyed his liver.

i will be thinking of you today and hoping that things are not as bad as they could be.please let me know what you find out bella,okay?If you have any more questions,believe me,I will probably know the answers or could point you in the right direction.

just let me know how you are doing.marcia

Old 05-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #7
kim4074
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

Bella how r u doing have you stopped drinking if so how are you feeling? I hope everything comes back ok for you and will be thinking of you. Alcoholism is a horrible disease and you may need some treatment so remain clean AA really helps alot of people. Let us know whats going on even if you have fallen down let us know dont be ashamed that happens its very hard to stop and come clean but just keep posting and if you need to talk someone is usually around here. Good luck and do it for your life and your sons future. You dont want him to grow up without a mom over this, I know how hard it is and I know it can be done so keep trying and keep fighting this disease as hard as it is you can do just takes ALOT of will power and determination to beat it and you have to WANT it more than you have ever wanted anything in your entire life. Keep us updated. Kim

Old 05-26-2006, 05:35 AM   #8
feelbad
Senior Veteran
(female)

i too am wondering how things are after that testing was done on you bella.i am hoping the news wasn't really extensively bad and is treatable.please respond with an update as soon as you can,we are all concerned about you and really do want to knowhow you are doing with this.take care Bella,i am thinking of you and syaing a little prayer for you.take care hon,marcia

Old 05-26-2006, 06:48 AM   #9
Sarandipity
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sarandipity HB User

Bella,
I did horrible things to my body for years... I drank until I passed out, I took pills til I could not feel anymore. I would have gone insane or been 6 feet under if a friend wouldnt have taken me to an AA meeting. The only thing that kept me alive is rethinking my idea of who God was... not condeming (which I learned as a child) I am working the step, I had someone approach me who wanted to sponsor me, and I don't put anything in my body that could change my thinking. Bella- I know you are hurting both physically and mentally. AA is comforting, it's real, they are my family now. I detoxed at meetings. FEEL the discomfort and just go to a meeting. My mind got off myself and onto others as I heard others talk about their experience with drinking, their hope of what recovery is doing for their lives. If you pull up aa on your computer,and the city you live in.... you will find lots of meetings in your area. You are the most important person to your son- dont quit 5 minutes before the miracle happens.

Love, Sara

Old 05-26-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
chicken84
(female)

chicken84 HB User

Well I am glad that you have made a decison Bella. Unfortunatly, it is only an idea until we put some action into it! I believe that you can do it. I hope that your results came back not too badly! I think that AA would be a great place to start. If you need someone to talk to if you want to drink, at your first meeting they will most likely give you a list of numbers to call when you feel like drinking or using. One thing that I also struggled with, was the saying a drug is a drug. That means alcohol and pot and any other substance. I am always checking and always here if you need to talk or vent or anything.

Best of luck Bella

Old 05-26-2006, 04:57 PM   #11
tattoogirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

HI EVERYONE.....
I got my results back and my lipase was high, and my hmmm...ast and as(something or other were in the 200's (should have been between 10-50). I was admited to the hospital on Thursday and they ran MANY tests...gallbladder, pancreas and liver. I had some sludge in my gallbladder but my pancreas looked pretty good and my liver enzymes were slowly going down. They hydrated me with lots of fluid and gave me intravenous morphine for pain (half their usual dose they said). They said, AS LONG AS I DON'T DRINK, my liver will most likely completely heal. I WON'T drink, I know it deep in my SOUL. I am commited to it and have began making choices to support such a future. Being scared (feelbad) was actually a blessing. I will go next week to retest my lab values and will follow up with with a gastroenterologist. I will keep you all posted. THANK YOU ALL FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART...liver...heheheh .
Bella

Old 05-27-2006, 06:22 AM   #12
feelbad
Senior Veteran
(female)

So happy to hear things are not as bad as they could be.

this IS your second shot here at life Bella.you have been given a "gift'.it is now up to you and only you to do with it what you need to do and to make the most of it.i am really relieved that the things i was thinking about in my mind with regards to all of your really ominous symptoms,were not truely to the extent I was really dreading hearing from you when you posted after the tests.really.

its going to take some very hard work to get your life back on track but i know you can do this.if you really and very deep down,want your life back,you CAN get it.you just do whatever that should have to take.after all Bella,nothing really worth having is ever easy,but it most definetly does make us much more appreciative of it once we finally get there.

The first thing you really need to do is sit down with your primary doc,and if he is not actually aware of the full extent of your alcohol issues,come totally clean with him then ask him to help you get your life back by helping you to come up with a plan of "attack" and then follow that plan to the letter.

I know you have the capability to do this,its always there way deep down inside us,trust me on that,it just needs to be reached grabbed and then held onto and used for support.we are all much stronger than we really think we are.it is when we are faced with these types of circumstances that you are forced to pull it out and use it.when my youngest son suddenly went into liver failure,thats when my big "test' of my coping and strength really just had to come out or i would have just curled up into a little ball and cried myself to death.i honestly never realized how much very real strength i had inside of me til i was just forced into reaching for it and hanging on for dear life.

you will amaze yourself with your inner strength Bella,really.I would have gone thru hell and back,but only for my son,not for me.I see things a bit differently now and realize that i need to be able to do that just for me.

please keep us all posted on how things are going for you,i really DO want to know how things are for you Bella.you always know that you will have tons of support here availiable for you to tap into whenever you may feel that need.Stay strong and no matter what,do NOT give in and let "it' win.YOU are in charge of this battle and will dictate just how things go from your end.some things you will not have any control over but on the other hand,there ARE many things that you and only you are in control of.just go with the flow.you know which ones you are responsible for.

Hang in there hon and just know that we are all behind you and will get thru this all eventually,just keep your eye on that little light at the end of the tunnel as it starts to become bigger and brighter as you get further and further along and finally to the end and out of the other side and into the sunshine.there will also be a small child there waiting for you with big open arms and a huge honkin hug for his new and improved mommy.just keep THAT picture in your mind during those "down' times,K?

If you should need me,just holler.take care Bella,Marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 05-27-2006 at 06:28 AM. Reason: too stupid to spell

Old 05-27-2006, 10:41 PM   #13
tattoogirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Marcia-
Well it's been over a week without a drink and it feels great.....well my body is still wrecking havoc....but emotionally/mentally it is good. I will go next week to get some more blood tests to check my levels and hopefully they will continue to drop. 2 ER visits in 1 week is never fun . I love waking up in the morning with a clear head and a strong conviction for a healthy, happy life. And the mommy hugs is worth all I am/will go through. He is a bright, special, loving boy I cherish and he needs a mom to cherish herself. Thanks for all the help, I will keep you posted.
Bella

Old 05-28-2006, 12:18 AM   #14
kim4074
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

Just remember him everytime you want a drink and those cravings will come trust me and when they do go for a walk do anything you can to get out of the house and away from the cravings wish u luck Kim

Old 05-28-2006, 02:35 AM   #15
tattoogirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

tattoogirl HB User

Thanks Kim. One of my biggest triggers is when I am driving, especially on a beautiful sunny day with the music playing, seeing all those package stores...(not recently though)...my mouth gets that watering almost throw up feeling around the jaw (u know?). I have a picture of him right on the dashboard of my car and focus on him when I feel I will give in .
Bella

Closed Thread