It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Alcohol detox help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #1
    imj9
    (female)

imj9 HB User
    Alcohol detox help

this is my first post here. I would like to know if anyone has gone thru an inpatient detox for alcohol dependancy? I have been drinking for years, got dehidrated and quite ill last year and stayed sober for almost 6 months. Felt and looked great and really had no really bad withdrawal. Then in Nov 2005 I had a glass of wine with dinner and it has gone downhill since then. I have been having pretty severe depression, shakes, and can't sleep for about 3 weeks now. My Dr. says it is all alcohol related and has me on 20mg paxil and just started Buspar as well. I was suppose to go see a counselor this AM but was too ill to make the appt. I know I need help really bad but don't think I can do the detox on my own. I only made it until about 1:30 this afternoon before I had to have a drink! This problem is very prevelant in my family, my sister died as age 42 from liver failure. Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 05:42 AM   #2
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User
    Re: Alcohol detox help

You need to get into a rehab right away.You already know that there is severe alchohol addiction in your immediate family so there is your warning sign.Also there is hope because you are very much aware of your problem now you have to do something about it.Get the help you need, you sound like such a good person..Good luck,by the way my dad has been sober for 40 years this month so it can be done.....Dave

Old 05-23-2006, 10:38 AM   #3
    imj9
    (female)

imj9 HB User

mpvt, can a rehab give you help with the WD symptoms?

Old 05-23-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Yes they can at least make them tolerable I believe while your detoxing. Depends on what one you go to but you can ask. You really need to get some help for this addiction and alcohol w/d is the worst since it involves your entire body. Do this for yourself and for your life. The thing with addiction is you can quit for a while and if you start up again your right where you were when you stopped sometimes alot worse. It doesnt just creep back in especially with alcohol. My entire family is alcoholics so I have seen this alot. Your never cured from it. I hope you really get the help you need for this disease. I do know that Ativan is supposed to help with the alcohol w/d's but it is also highly addictive too but if you research it that is what it is sometimes perscribed for alcohol w/d. Good luck Kim

Last edited by kim4074; 05-23-2006 at 11:24 AM.

Old 05-23-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
    imj9
    (female)

imj9 HB User

Kim, thanks so much for the information. i really appreciate it. I am thinking tomorrow I am going to call a local counselor whos's speciality is substance abuse. He has a very extensive background and I think at this point I really need to see someone to help me with this problem. I know I can not go thru the WD without some sort of help from someone. I believe last year when I stopped drinking I was given Ativan, maybe that is why I did not have the problem with the WD symptoms. This time is really bad as far as the depression, non sleeping and all the other symptoms and I am still drinking. I know I can not stop on my own!!! I hate feeling weak and out of control. I am actually a very together, intellegent woman who has had and still has a good life adn caring family. God. how does this happen?

Old 05-23-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Some people are just prone to addiction. Your born with a gene that makes you an addict while others will never get addicted. It sucks but thats the truth of the matter. I would definatly seek professional help and also wouldnt hurt to go to an AA meeting too. There are alot of people who can help you there too. My dad was an alcoholic for many many years since I can remember and he found alot of support through AA and has been sober now for many years I think 15. The w/d's are very bad with alcohol and many cant do it alone they need professional help to do it. Your body is used to a certain amount of alcohol to remain "normal" and it craves it and then if it doesnt get it you start shaking and once you get a drink in you it goes away. Even cutting back will give you withdrawls your body wants what its used to. I would really get on the phone and start calling people even your regular physician might be able to point in the right direction. good luck and hope you can get this disease kicked. Keep posting where here for you. Kim

Closed Thread