It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Can benzo withdrawal cause trouble walking?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2006, 07:29 AM   #1
    steven910
    (male)

steven910 HB User
    Question Can benzo withdrawal cause trouble walking?

My wife used .25 mg Xanax for years to help her sleep. This spring, for several months, she upped the dose and then discovered that she was going into slight withdrawal between doses. She decided to stop--and did, cold turkey, before we started doing internet research.
    Anyway: she is now four weeks into the withdrawal and generally doing well. Most of the major symptoms of withdrawal have abated, but one is driving her crazy. She has trouble walking--although not exactly. She can walk OK but she feels weird when she walks--as though she's floating, or not properly rooted on the earth.
    Other ways to describe it: unsteadiness, anxiety about walking, a fear of falling. After a car trip, the feeling is worse (though she's only been in a car a few times since the withdrawal. She feels there's some connection to her lower back, where she experiences odd sensations. (Massage sometimes helps.) She's an active woman--and this feeling of not being able to do what she usually does is making her very upset.
    What I am hoping for is a narrative from someone who went through Xanax withdrawal, and has had similar or identical symptoms which *went away*. She just needs reassurance. In lieu of this reassurance, she's getting catastrophic: MS, Parkinson's, other neurological diseases.
    We have been to benzo.uk and just about every other site in the world--using every major search engine. Can someone help with this? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
    Re: Can benzo withdrawal cause trouble walking?

Yes, those are symptoms of withdrawal from my son's stand point. he had the same thing but only lasted a few weeks. Might want to get in to see doctor....those xanax are bad news....cause long term side effects...which doctors don't tell you about......not a good drug to take...........period.............

Old 05-23-2006, 09:15 PM   #3
    benzogirl
    Inactive
    (female)

benzogirl HB User

any benzo you come off of has withdrawal effects. it doesn't matter if you taper or cold turkey, small or large amounts, short or long periods of time, very few people come off of benzos (xanax & ativan being the worst) without some type of withdrawals. your wifes symptoms are common. probably feels like she's walking on cotton or wool. i am coming off of benzos(tapering), i get electric shocks in my spine and head, severe depression, muscle cramps, etc. not all at the same time, they come and go. also, i can tolerate them. your wife is more afraid than anything else, which will raise her adrenaline levels, and hype up her already stressed out nervous system from the xanax. i guarantee you it's just symptoms of the xanax. if it continues, and it freaks her out that bad, have her checked out just for her peace of mind. remember also, she is sensitive emotionally and mentally from the xanax,so this might be adding to it. i wish her the best.

Last edited by benzogirl; 05-23-2006 at 09:18 PM.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
    Jonny412
    Inactive
    (male)

Jonny412 HB User

Im like 10 weeks off Klonopin, did a real slow taper. Have light sensitivity, tingling, wooziness, brain fog, and the walking sensation described. they say it all goes way but it can vary from person to person, anywhere from a few months to a few years. Few doctors and pharmacists are familiar with this sometimes long term syndrome but it is in the literature. Perhaps some are but see it as okay for some to go through this as long as more get helped. Does not make any sense to me... One has to watch out for false diagnoses, many docs will claim it not the benzo and try and load you up with other brain meds. That is a no go here, am just coping, staying as calm as possible, and looking for the real healing no matter how long it takes. Best wishes.

Closed Thread