It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Need Support Tapering off of Oxycodone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
    helpmarie
    (female)

helpmarie HB User
    Need Support Tapering off of Oxycodone

I haven't posted in a while ... this site helped me detox from vicodin just before christmas at home w/my husband. he is a saint. It was very difficult but looking back it was a piece of cake considering the w/ds i have w/the oxycodone. i told my husband i relapsed and we again planned a home detox. only, this time was very different. by day 2 i was out of my mind trying to think of excuses to get out of the house and then finally just breaking down and saying i had to go get pills. of course he tried to stop me but i was so hateful and unreasonable. i didnt have any control over myself. finally he just gave in and told me to go and get the damned pills. i will not try to go cold turkey again, i turned into an entirely different person. i was thinking about doing the most awful things if i couldn't find the pills. i dont ever want to see that person again ... i dont want her around my family .... she cant be trusted. i have made an appt. for an evaluation(thurs. afternoon was the soonest they had) and i have been trying to taper. i really dont want to go to a facility. since i have been cutting back and after seeing the devil i turned into, i really think i can do this tapering. but i want to do the right thing, i want this to be the last time for me. can i get any advice? i would really appreciate it. i am so afraid of that woman that came out of me. she has no regard for her or her family's safety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #2
    penniedad
    (female)

penniedad HB User
    Re: Need Support Tapering off of Oxycodone

i know what your saying , herion put me in jail!!!get help, iam not a pill person, but high is high,i heard oxs are strong, i know a friend who went to oxs from herion,she is now on meth, call your dr. i know how it can cost you everything,your family, your freedom your life , get help. god bless.

Old 05-28-2006, 06:53 PM   #3
    vmom
    (female)

vmom HB User

I just want to say best wishes as I'm not at the tapering or w/d stage but my friend has a really tough time coming off Oxycodone. The only way she could do it was via an outpatient program.
    Best wishes,
    E

Old 05-28-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
    Boiler Bob
    Inactive
    (male)

Boiler Bob HB User

I just want to tell you it can be done by tappering.
    I'm now on day 36, & I tappered off a very high dose of O/C for four months before I went cold turkey. I was on it for almost 10 years.
    It's not going to be easy by any means, W/D's were hell for me even after tappering for months. I wish you all the best.

Last edited by Boiler Bob; 05-28-2006 at 08:45 PM.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:23 PM   #5
    helpmarie
    (female)

helpmarie HB User

thanks for the responses, it's nice to hear from someone. i've made such a mess. i am still trying to increase my time between doses, it's hard because I am home and have all this time on my hands to obsess over when i can take my next dose. hoperfully i will do better when i get back to work tues. if i taper i will have to continue to buy the oxys off the street and i'm thinking that's not a healthy way to recover to continue to break the law. i will keep my evaluation appt on thursday, it's w/an outpatient program and i really hope they dont recommend inpatient. i cant take anymore time off or work w/out putting my job in jeopardy and neither can my husband. i just cant believe this is happening to me and how much i am hurting my hubby. he told me last night that he puposely drives through the ghetto on occasion on his way to work to keep himself centered. he says" you dont want to end up on those streets babe. those people are so consumed w/getting drugs they dont even care whether or not they have clean clothes on" he pleaded w/me to not put myself at risk and said how much he and the kids need me. it was so good to hear and i guess i never thought i could actually end up on the street over this stuff or even die! i'm so scared of being a junkie. i'm getting out of this sh-- and not looking back. this time i really screwed myself up.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:33 PM   #6
    Podee
    Veteran
    (male)

Podee HB User

Tapering is the way to go, but just be aware that no matter how low you get in dose there will be withdrawal and discomfort when you get off completely. In some ways the pain is good, because if it is too easy to get off, we are more likely as addicts to repeat the behavior.

Staying off will require some outside help like 12-Step Programs. At least that is what it has taken for me, and I've been clean for years.

Closed Thread