It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Hi guys, 10 years a Heroin addict.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-03-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
    H-Man_SJR
    (male)

H-Man_SJR HB User
    Hi guys, 10 years a Heroin addict.

Hello guys, this is the first time I have discussed my drug problem with anyone else on the net and this is the first thread I've post on this forum.

I live in the UK and I found it quite interesting reading some of the posts from overseas.
    I am taking 45ml of methadone once a day which I have on prescription. I have to go to my local pharmacist every other day and take one days meds under supervision and I can take the next days home. I have to go to the pharmacist 3 times a week.

I am not using heroin any more since I started my prescription. I know methadone is not a long term solution but it has greatly improved my life.

I am finding it hard to get back to a "normal" life after 10 years of heroin abuse. I'm 31yrs old now and I started doing H' when I was about 20yrs old, before that I used weed, amphetamine and ecstasy.

I can never go back to that 20 year old kid and I do not know who I am meant to be at the moment, heroin has stripped me of my identity.
    It feels like I have jumped from being 20, to 31 years old. I need to redefine who I am and what I want to be.

I will hopefully find this forum useful in my recovery and in putting my life back together, I hope I am able to help others too.

Thanx for reading this guys, read you soon

Last edited by H-Man_SJR; 06-03-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
    sad,mum
    Inactive
    (female)

sad,mum HB User
    Re: Hi guys, 10 years a Heroin addict.

well done,how long have you been heroin free,and forget about the lost 10yrs,look forward to the next50,keep posting its great to support someone who wants to be through with drigs,oh and welcome,sad mum

Old 06-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

im 46....started opiates in 1984...h for a year...then was on methadone for almost a year...swore id never do methadone again...boom..1991,golf cart accident put me in pain pills...did them for 9 years,recreationally,emotional pain and disc pain...got to 500mg of hydrocodone,oxycodone,lortabs,vikes anything i could buy since i could only get 120 pillsa a month from doc...then found h again...this time i.v'd it...was cheaper than pills....destroyed my marriage,kids,was homeless,busted financially...went on injectable buprenex...same as subutex/suboxone...took me 4 years of dabblin before last septmeber became sober ...first time in 32 years...was on methadone,tried unsuccessfully between 2001-02....when i detoxed,i did a 5mg drop from 90mg...was a tough month and half of w/d's....its better to maintance as you are if your heart is set to be free totally from opiate abuse....you still have some years left...i struggle because im 46 and it took 4 years and a spiritual intervention to get the point that your still aticking time bomb until you open your heart up and get alittle honsty flowing in your veins instead of dope.....i hit a/a mtgs every week...have for the past 4 years...every sunday at 6pm....tried n/a but i was still using...hope to talk again....chef

Old 06-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #4
    Podee
    Veteran
    (male)

Podee HB User

Question - I read that heroin (and even cocaine as well) is prescribed to addicts in the U.K. I am not sure if this is still being done for new addicts, but I understand there are a small number of addicts in the U.K. getting heroin and cocaine to this day via prescription (grandfathered into the old program, so to speak).

I do know that heroin can be prescribed in the U.K. for medical uses whereas it is not available at all in the U.S. (legally).

Talk to me.

Old 06-04-2006, 07:00 AM   #5
    ethos987
    (male)

ethos987 HB User

There was a time when I was presumptious enough to have toyed with the idea that I fully understood it. Afraid to say but there it is; the whole thing baffles me...

Still alive, strangely enough. And yes it is like you just walked off the moon.

When nothing makes sense, just take one step after another after another after another. That is the beginning (or middle or ending) of our journey.

ethos

Old 06-04-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
    Over It 2day
    (female)

Over It 2day HB User

Ethos987-

You're brilliant in your writing! It is so damn eloquent and so beautiful to read! Have you written books? I would love to read one of them if you have ever authored literary material.

Take care.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:47 AM   #7
    Leora

Leora HB User

Hey there, just wanted to wish you luck on your recovery, I have no words of wisdom as I'm yet to be one of the clean and sober ones here. But hey I just had to post because I noticed in your post that you are from Nottingham, and I too was born there but came to California when I was 5yo. I'm almost the same age as you now. I've always wondered how different my life might be if my parents never moved me out of England. From your post I see the temptations wouldn't be any different. But who know's, maybe we'd have know eachother in real life? haha. Real life, love that description.......what the heck does it mean??? Anyway, good luck to you, I'll be cheering for ya!
    Leora

Old 06-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #8
    ethos987
    (male)

ethos987 HB User

OverItToday,

As you may know, addicts don't deal very well with compliments but thanks.

And addiction? I am still mesmerized, almost hypnotized by this, -thing. Like the snake when it tries to eat Mogli in the Jungle Book - I look at it with big eyes and it is so huge, so beyond my understanding I only want to run.

running.

Best wishes.

ethos

Old 06-05-2006, 07:31 AM   #9
    tryinghardmom
    (female)

tryinghardmom HB User

Good for you!! That's incredible that you're doing so well......those first hurdles are some of the toughest, I'm sure. I think that's true...that addiction makes you kind of skate through the rest of your life....your doc is your #1 priority and everything else gets put on the back burner. Have you had to change your social life around, finding new people to hang out with? I would think that'd be one of the toughest things....because you have to have support.

Even though I don't know you, I'm proud of you!! haha! Hang in there...you're doing great!
    Christy

Old 06-05-2006, 08:00 AM   #10
    ronniesteers
    (female)

ronniesteers HB User

My then boyfriend, now fiance, decided to start using heroin when I was pregnant with my first child, our daughter. The existence was horrible and it was very painful for me to watch him. He did the methadone clinic and that didn't work. Then he did buprenex injections that his GP prescribed. After the third attempt at treatment with buprenex, he was fine. He has walked away from that drug I believe for good. Just thought this might be encouraging he has been free of heroin for I believe almost 2 1/2 to three years now. But we both have another problem we are trying to beat right now. Please pray that we recover from yet another horrible spot. It's like you said in your post, (I know this isn't verbatim), but you are too afraid to look into that cavern again. THat's how I feel about my current situation. Drugs make you walk a tightrope, who needs that when like is already challenging enough?

Last edited by ronniesteers; 06-05-2006 at 08:02 AM.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:25 AM   #11
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

ronnie...point of interest...i did the buprenex thing also here in florida....most likely same place in south florida...i know they have a joint in orlando....i used buprenex also but i was still rollercoastering....have finally found dry ground..i take subutex for chronic back pain...same thing but no injections....glad the bupe was of assistance to his recovery...chef

Old 06-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #12
    H-Man_SJR
    (male)

H-Man_SJR HB User

Wow, fantastic response guys..thank you

I have been heroin free since just before Christmas, about 7-8 months. I have not counted the days or kept a diary so the exact date I can't remember.

Regarding Heroin/ Dia-morphine being prescribed here in the UK, I saw a documentary on this subject some years ago. I recall that only a one or two doctors were prescribing and only a small number of patients were involved.
    Heroin/ Dia-morphine is certainly not licenced in this country for the treatment of heroin abuse. I don't know if it is used for anything else or not.

I hope to be able to reduce my methadone prescription down to a level where I can switch to Subutex. My drug worker tells me it can without to much discomfort, I hope he's right. Two people I know claim that they reduced there methadone right down and then just stopped without much discomfort at all.
    I'm not sure what to do at the moment. There is time to make up my mind though.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #13
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

i did the methadone to subutex thing in the past...in real short form..my dose on metha done was up to 120mg..for a short time....played around at 60mg to 80mg..ect...i dropped 5mg a week and stayed there for a bit and did a month off of methadone...notreally anything during that time...twas a rough month,non sleep/diahrea,ect,ect,ect....then i had to do the subutex cuz of disc back problo's...anyways,from my experience and having my best friend a recovering addict doctor who runs a huge rehab clinic as my guide..i know they would like to get you down well below 20mg and then try to wait out a good two days to get that half-life meth out of your system and then,blam,hit the bupenorphine and you might only feel mild discomfort for a week and then life goes back to norm when you get your dosage right..but remember...you still face the undaunting task of then weaning down the bupenorphine until you wish to become sober...unless your a medical chronic pain case..but life on the subutex is good..i take 8mg when needed in the day for back pain....and dont wish/nor want to take another opiate for the rest of my days..you can go for a day without dosing also..its half life is 24-40hrs....where as methadone is 72hrs.....its along acting opiate and the w/d's are beatable...but might be better to beat it all unless dragging it out...chef..ps..glad youve stayed clear of the h..two folks i know died..thought they were doing a couple cc's of the same ole/same ole and it turned out it wasnt mixed right...way to potent...i betcha they wished they hadnt done that last shot....

Old 06-05-2006, 11:29 AM   #14
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Very proud of you!! You will begin to see the old self come back...and you will like it....so keep living day to day and that spiritual intervention is the only way to be saved!!! You have it licked with that help and you will see great things happen in your life, as I am sure you alreayd have!!!!! God Bless you!!!

Old 06-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #15
    Podee
    Veteran
    (male)

Podee HB User

No response...guess he's still out there.

Closed Thread