It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Off anti-depressants, cant feel illegal drugs

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
bshea
(male)

bshea HB User
Off anti-depressants, cant feel illegal drugs

ive been on anti-depressants for awhile, and at the time i was using OXYCONTIN, and weed, and would get pretty high, well now im off anti-depressants for over a month... and its like i cannot get high anymore, really weird, but i tried weed and i bareley felt it, and then tried pills and even HEROIN.. and its like nothing, i feel relaxed and all but i dont feel euphoric, i think something from the antidepressants did something in my brain and now i cannot get the high feeling anymore... anyone else have this problem? or know whats going on.... weird.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
kindathinkin
Inactive
(male)

kindathinkin HB User
Re: Off anti-depressants, cant feel illegal drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshea
ive been on anti-depressants for awhile, and at the time i was using OXYCONTIN, and weed, and would get pretty high, well now im off anti-depressants for over a month... and its like i cannot get high anymore, really weird, but i tried weed and i bareley felt it, and then tried pills and even HEROIN.. and its like nothing, i feel relaxed and all but i dont feel euphoric, i think something from the antidepressants did something in my brain and now i cannot get the high feeling anymore... anyone else have this problem? or know whats going on.... weird.
It is intersting that you say you have a "Problem" because you can't get high from illicit drug use.

Most of the people on this forum are struggling to accomplish what you have stumbled upon by accident.

Sometimes life really isn't fair.

Old 06-06-2006, 04:13 PM   #3
wrenegade
(female)

wrenegade HB User

bshea,

About 25 years ago, I was a real druggie using just about anything I could get high on and lots of it, especially PCP, barbituates, alcohol, weed, etc. I did come to a point like you describe of not being able to get "high" no matter how much I took. I latter saw a program on addiction on tv that talked about how drugs alter the chemistry in the brain~something to do with depleting the brain's stores of dopamine. I believe that can happen, but I also believe that someone was praying for me and knew I was destroying myself. It was not long after that that I made a decision to become a Christian and quit taking drugs.

Now I have a whole different problem which is the fact that I when I got off the drugs, I also quit taking medication for my back. For 25 years, I did okay with the pain naturally. Then, 2 years ago, the pain increased and I started taking hydro, then oxy. Tomorrow, I am starting over. I am quitting the pain and sleep meds and going to try to manage the pain with exercise and other natural modalities again.

I see kindathinkin's point. I certainly don't want to come off as preachy or pushy, but my friend, maybe this is a wakeup call for you. Do you really want to spend your life, not to mention your money, seeking an artificial high?

After stopping the illicit drug abuse years ago, I had trouble for a while even feeling a remote sense of happiness (probably due to depleted dopamine production) but the human body is amazing and God is good. Today, I am able to enjoy life again.

I hope you will seriously think about all this. Really, I am not trying to critisize, but just to be a real friend.
wren

Old 06-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
penniedad
(female)

penniedad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshea
weird????????you are upset cause you cant get high?????? maybe you should get on your knees and thank god,,,,,,,,,,,,,, iam fighting to stay alive, i think you need to think about what you are saying!!!!!!!!and to who

Old 06-07-2006, 08:47 AM   #5
chefob1
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

the poster stated they were on depressants and now cant get high and have tried weed and now,even heroin and they dont feel it...i hope they use this as alearning tool and decide not to use,before they kill themselves trying to get high but cant find the drug that they are wishing for...the poster should try to disciver what it is thats driving them to why do they want to use drugs in the first place....they need to find help and support...why in the world would someone jump from weed to heroin just to see if they can get high....they are moving way wrong down the wrong path....chef

Old 06-07-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
bshea
(male)

bshea HB User

i was just asking if anyone knew that antidepressants caused any of this after coming off of them, i didnt just jump from WEED to heroin... i was addicted to oxy for awhile, then i stoppped everything, including my antidepressants, and had a relapse.. on pills and heroin.. and got nothing, then decided to see if weed would do anything, and still barley anything from that, so in a way this is good b/c im not gonna use b/c its worthless and im aware of that, and feel guilty and shame for relapsing after almost 2 months clean, so im going to continue my recovery.. but i was just wondering 'why i wasnt feeling anything, after being clean forawhile, still nothing, im just curious if anyone else has experienced something like this from medicine or whatever it may be... thats all. but i relize that theres a reason for me not feeling it, and is another good reason not to use, god ovb doesnt want me using, and i shall stay away from it all. later.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
wrenegade
(female)

wrenegade HB User

bshea,
I am really glad you've decided not to use. I think everyone here wants the best for you. If we sound hard it is because so many have such a hard time overcoming this monster. Read my first post about the dopamine. It probably does have something to do with the chemicals in your brain, but really it doesn't matter why, does it? I am glad you saw the light. Like I did when it happened to me 25 years ago. Don't feel ashamed or guilty. Be glad you have this opportunity. I think someone has been praying for you and I know someone else is now. You stay firm in your decision. For me, today is day one without pain medication and so far, so good. You can stay clean with the Lord's help. You can do anything.

Blesssings,
wren and her cats

Old 06-07-2006, 10:39 AM   #8
NitroChic
Veteran
(female)

NitroChic HB User

WHEW....You gotta admit that the original post could really get under the skin of someone struggling to get clean.
Maybe your brain now knows the difference between normal firing and the misfiring that the illicit drugs cause. The best of strength and power with your recovery.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:59 AM   #9
penniedad
(female)

penniedad HB User

god bless, the one thing that does work is god,pray and he will never turn away,every night i thank god for not being sick, not having to save a wake up,not having to look over my shoulder for police,,,,,,,,,it feels good for once in my life to be free,clear, i will say chef is right,find within your soul why you feel you need to be high,,,that was the hardest thing i ever did,and it hurt real bad,,,,but it was worth every bit of pain just to be free and clean,you can do it praise god

Old 06-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #10
Mischeif
(female)

Mischeif HB User

Hey bshea

I think that your first post was a little of a shock to those here who were not aware of your whole history. I am so glad to hear that this was just curiosity, not any more or any less. I am active in recovery and have been going to meetings for nearly 9 months, no less than 4 per week. I have heard a hundred stories about people who just couldn't drink enough or use enough to feel it any more. In the end of my addiction, I would have to stay up for three or four days before I began to feel anything close to euphoria, and that was probably just from sleep deprivation alone. I cannot stand to think about the harm I did my body and soul trying to get high.

I hope you find your way in recovery. Don't beat yourself up about a brief relapse. What matters is that you are back to being clean and sober, right? You have a chance to recover, all you need is the willingness. What's done is done, but each day is a chance to begin again, and if you don't use today, you have that chance. Please stay on the boards and let us know how you are. You are not alone, and we do care.

Brandi

Closed Thread