It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• have drugs made me dumb?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2006, 04:44 PM   #1
    sad song
    (female)

sad song HB User
    have drugs made me dumb?

can drugs make you permanently just DUMB?? I am only 21 but I feel like it's so much harder to study than it used to be and just in every day conversations I have so much more trouble following what people are saying. I have abused tons of stuff but mainly marijuana.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User
    Re: have drugs made me dumb?

Sometimes it can affect the short term memory I think that is what pot does. I usually research something before I answer but have heard for many years and in psych class that it can affect your short term memory so some stuff doesnt get transfered to your long term memory which might be why it is so hard to study. Kim

Old 06-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
    NitroChic
    Veteran
    (female)

NitroChic HB User

THey can...some long term...MJ however effects the chemistry to a level that is repaired over time. WHen you stop smoking it, your brain is still so used to the effects, it still thinks it doesnt have to work any more than it has. Over time...sort of excersizing your brain, you will notice that it will come easier and easier.
    I used to drink a great deal...binge drinking to passing out every day. For at least the first year after stopping, I struggled to find words in my head that I wanted to say, and I had NO short term memory. I have been sober for 2 years now, and it is coming back quite well.... hang in there.
    OH also you may have been self medicating because you had an attention issue...

Old 06-09-2006, 04:52 PM   #4
    NitroChic
    Veteran
    (female)

NitroChic HB User

Kim... I am glad someone else researches specific questions as well.. I thought I was being a bit obsessive..LOL

Old 06-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #5
    sad song
    (female)

sad song HB User

What exactly do you mean by I have an "attention issue?"

Old 06-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #6
    NitroChic
    Veteran
    (female)

NitroChic HB User

NO NO NO.. I meant that you were inadvertantly self medicating an attention/anxiety issue....

Old 06-10-2006, 01:25 AM   #7
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Not speaking for Nitrochic but maybe something like adhd or add sometimes people who have this do medicate it with pot or other drugs. Makes them feel as if they can focus for a little while. My old roommate used to smoke day in and day out I could tell when he was out cause the whole house would be torn apart whether he decided to paint or rearrange he was just so hyper and out of control without it like he couldnt concentrate on just sweeping the floor it had to be stripped, sanded, sealed, waxed, type of deal you know what I mean you just cant focus then when he smoked it almost made him at an even keel with the rest of the world. Just my experience with living with a chronic smoker as a roomate. Oh my the way yes I do try to research everything if its about a certain thing that I am able too. I would hate to direct someone in the wrong direction. If I dont research I usually say in my opinion or in my experience. That way if it is incorrect its only my experience and everyone experiences things differently. Oh if I misread what you meant I'm sorry dont mean to step on toes thats how I interepted it. Good luck and stay strong. Kim

Old 06-11-2006, 05:58 AM   #8
    MKMaggie
    (female)

MKMaggie HB User

I would be ever so grateful if anyone of you out there could offer me some advice as to what I could to to help my 18 year old daughter. She just gratuated high school (with honors) so she is NOT stupid, but is IMO doing stupid stuff to destroy herself. She hs been in a unhealthy relationship with a boy 2 years older than her who got her to use pot. I don't know how often she uses, says not often, but who is going to admit to her mom the real truth.
    anyway, this boy only hurts her never taks her anywhere has no goals or work ethic. He has not been calling her again and i think that buts her in a depression. She went on vacation with her girlfriend and her family and had sex with some guy she met there the day after they got there. Her girlfriend was livid and told her she had to leave. This is how I found out about it cause she called home crying hysterically. I managed to talk to her friend and calm her down. Explained that I WAS NOT HAPPY about the situation but if she was ever her friend that is what the girl needed right now. The girl needs help. She has been seeing a counceler but I don't know what she shares with her. She did say the women told her she has low self esteem. ( I told her that before she went to see her, but I'm just mom) One more important fact is that my husbands parents and a few of his siblings are alcoholics. Any advice anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
    kindathinkin
    Inactive
    (male)

kindathinkin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sad song
    can drugs make you permanently just DUMB?? I am only 21 but I feel like it's so much harder to study than it used to be and just in every day conversations I have so much more trouble following what people are saying. I have abused tons of stuff but mainly marijuana.
    My son was/is addicted to oxycontin and other opiates. He was clean for several months. We did notice after he was clean for a couple months and we could finally have conversations with him that he had very noticeable memory loss. He had forgotten significant and important events in his life - including events that happened before he had used drugs.

He now struggles with his memory loss - not knowing what memories are real and what are just imagination. We also notice that it takes a lot longer for him to learn things that it did before he started drugs.

I do not know how marijuana affects memory, but oxycontin and opiate use certainly can wipe out a lot of memory. So, as to your question if drugs can make you stupid: If the amount of knowledge in your head determines your smarts, and you lose that knowledge through drug use, then yes, drugs can make you stupid.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #10
    sad song
    (female)

sad song HB User

well, ****.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:33 PM   #11
    agentbad
    Inactive

agentbad HB User

well if you were just smoking pot than i wouldn't worry too much. chronic use of alcohol i think is probably the worst as far as brain wasting goes. then again there is X though their are still conflicting views. never heard of opiates causing a lot of memory loss though it definitely dulls your memory and all your other senses while you are on them. not to sound pro-drug but some of the most famous writers were on some form of opiates. the memory required to be successful writer has to be pretty sharp.

Old 06-12-2006, 05:03 AM   #12
    kindathinkin
    Inactive
    (male)

kindathinkin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by agentbad
    well if you were just smoking pot than i wouldn't worry too much. chronic use of alcohol i think is probably the worst as far as brain wasting goes. then again there is X though their are still conflicting views. never heard of opiates causing a lot of memory loss though it definitely dulls your memory and all your other senses while you are on them. not to sound pro-drug but some of the most famous writers were on some form of opiates. the memory required to be successful writer has to be pretty sharp.
    Forgive me, but this is not very pro-sober thinking. It sounds like the logic of a user; Don`t worry, it`s only pot. Never heard of opiates causing memory loss. Some of the most famous writers were on opiates, so it doesn`t seem to hurt.

The sea of lost hope is filled deep and wide with drug users who wasted themselves and their potential in the slurry of addiction. There are a few who succeeded despite drug use, but these are the very rare exceptions. Imagine how much more productive they may have been if they had not been distracted by chemicals.

Old 06-12-2006, 06:31 AM   #13
    MKMaggie
    (female)

MKMaggie HB User

kindathikin

I think you nailed it right on. There is no excuse to use drugs or alcahol in the name of making oneself "better" or more creative.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:06 AM   #14
    sad song
    (female)

sad song HB User

Well I've got all my bases covered, I was a heroin addict for a year, pot is only the current problem. Stupidity is heading/has already come my way.

Old 06-12-2006, 01:57 PM   #15
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Well at least you got off the heroin thats great! That is complete hell to come off of and not many people succeed so proud of you on that factor. Did you smoke while you were on heroin or pick this up afterwards? Just wondering, I dont really think for any specific reason, but sometimes through w/d's people will smoke pot to relax them. Well one thing at a time right? If you really want to stop you will know when it's time and you will stop. Good luck to you and good luck on getting clean off pot after heroin this will be a walk in the park!!!! Kim

Closed Thread