It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Am I Alchoholic?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2006, 05:52 AM   #1
Aging_Quickly

Aging_Quickly HB User
Am I Alchoholic?

Hi,

If I only drink once a week, but I do it every week, and I get drunk doing so. Am I considerd and Alchoholic?

Thanks,

Tembel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
BloodyGood

BloodyGood HB User
Re: Am I Alchoholic?

Aging_Quickly,

According to the following def of alcoholism, you are not :-)

"A disorder characterized by the excessive consumption of and dependence on alcoholic beverages, leading to physical and psychological harm and impaired social and vocational functioning. Also called alcohol abuse, alcohol dependence."

(from www.answers.com)

Old 06-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
bshea
(male)

bshea HB User

if you have to askyourself that question, than theres a good change you are, you dont have to drink everyday to be an alcoholic, there are binge drinkers who are alcoholics, u dont go by some god damn defintion... ive had many education classes at sheppart pratt for drugs and alcohol, and tons of alcoholics in there that didnt drink everyday, but they were binge drinkers and just couldnt seem to ever not drink for a long period of time, .. try not drinking one weekend, or try to control yourself with only a few beers... us alcoholics have trouble doing so...

Old 06-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
kindathinkin
Inactive
(male)

kindathinkin HB User

Temble, if your alchohol consumption affects you in a negative way, and you continue to drink, their is a good chance you are an alchoholic. What is a `negative affect`? Well, has drinking caused strains in your relationships with others? Has drinking put you in a dangerous situation? Has drinking affected your career or your finances?

Ask yourself how you feel about never ever having an alchohol drink again. Does the idea make you nervous or anxious? If yes, this is a sign of alchoholism. If the idea of giving up drinking does not make you anxious, by the way, then why not give it up completely. Alchohol never does you any favors.

Last edited by kindathinkin; 06-13-2006 at 12:44 PM.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
kim4074
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

Do you drink alone? Or only out with friends say if your friends werent doing anything this weekend and you had nothing to do if thats who you drink with, would you find something to do that doesnt involve alcohol or would you go get a 6 pack and sit home alone drinking it? when the weekend rolls around is the only thing you look forward to is getting drunk? I dont know I guess its when the alcohol starts consuming your life, like you cant go out and not drink. My friends used to use the term social alcoholic. Like they always drank when around other people well their friends. I dont know it this makes sense or not. Do you ever just have a couple of beers and stop or do you drink primarily to get drunk? These are some questions for you to answer. You could ask 100 people and each one would give you a different answer. how old are you? I know in my 20's I would go out every weekend with my friends to bars, but there were also weekends where I would be happy sitting home and just watching a movie too. Thats when the term social alcoholics came about. There are alot of different answers to your ?. The question is do you think its a problem or can lead to a problem? Let us know what you think. Kim

Old 06-13-2006, 05:19 PM   #6
mpvt
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

I would think that if your worried about it then that should be a red flag and stop drinking.My dad has been an alchoholic for almost 40 years,he's been sober for the last 35.Now he ended up drinking everday but he started out like anyone else does.He has told me that when you don't control the alchohol anymore then there's a good chance you have a problem but no one can tell you your an alchoholic,that's for you to decide.Another thing to look for is if your regularly having black outs.....Dave

Old 06-13-2006, 10:14 PM   #7
Aging_Quickly

Aging_Quickly HB User

Thanks everyone, most of you brought up points I'll have to really think about. I guess I need to get to know my self better. The idea of not drinking with friends over the weekend sounds disturbing to me, yet, I am confident I can quit doing drinking any time I wish. I am not sure if I am addicted to the alcohol or to the drinking with friends, if to any of them.

Perhaps I'll give it a test this weekend, perhaps I'll just stay at home with a good movie or two. Gosh, I haven't done it in years..

Thank you very much

Aging_Quickly

Old 06-14-2006, 05:43 AM   #8
mpvt
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

I'm sure your friends won't mind you drinking pop or whatever and if they do then you need to question your friendships.....Dave

Closed Thread