It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Stopping Oxy - taper vs cold turkey?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-14-2006, 08:38 AM   #1
ET123
(male)

ET123 HB User
Stopping Oxy - taper vs cold turkey?

Familiar story, started taking Vicodin for back pain and when my meds would run out early I would go to friends for suplemental relief. I ended up doing about 80mg of oxy per day (broke the green 80mg tablets into 2 to 4 pieces). Sunday I took 40 mg and decided I had had enough of this demon. Monday went ok, Tuesday it was worse and I realized how hellish getting of of this might be so I immediately threw all my meds in the toilet. Yesterday was complete hell, every symptom listed belonged to me. Today is a little better but still horrible.

My question, what do you think of getting a refill on the Vics to get me through this? Will it help? I've been reading about others taking alot more Oxy than I was and my heart goes out to you. This stuff sucks.

So what do you think, stick it out cold turkey, or taper off the 5/500 Vics??

Last edited by ET123; 06-14-2006 at 08:39 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
tryinghardmom
(female)

tryinghardmom HB User
Re: Stopping Oxy - taper vs cold turkey?

Yes it does suck...amen to that. You know....I would say that if you're already at day 3....is that right? then I'd stick it on out. To me, the vics would just prolong the inevitible....and that has to end also. Others might disagree, but that's my 2 cents. My husband went on an accidental w/d from his 80 mg/day OC, and his Norco (vic) 10's wouldn't stop some of his w/d's like spastic body trying to sleep.....his pain doc said that they're 2 different w/d's...don't know if everyone would agree or not..that's just what his doc said. Now maybe someone coming off of a lesser amount of OC would be helped with vics...I'm not sure. But I just wanted to encourage you.....if you have a super hellish day behind you, surely the next day can't be as bad........right? maybe?

Old 06-14-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
ET123
(male)

ET123 HB User

Thanks, today is not as bad but my stupid mind tells me I can take a Norco or Vic and get through this easier. I have a lot to be thankful for and it's not like I have hit any kind of bottom, I just wanted to get off this crap and see just how much back pain I really have (if any). I've been on and off Vic with no real issues several times when taken as prescribed (or at least in the general area) and I've only been doing the Oxy for about 2 months. I really never expected the w/d to be like this I suppose, for someone else perhaps but not for me.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
kim4074
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

I agree with tryinghard mom. You at day 3 you can beat this addiction. I know my 2 cents might not be worth alot right now but I do agree. After day 4-5 you will start to feel better and be able to do stuff. You were at a low dose compared to others. I agree to see what your pain really is. I thought mine wasnt too bad until a few wks ago and I was in horrible pain. So I guess it all depends on the person. Whatever works for you to stop try it. But your over the hump so see how the rest of the week goes and if it doesnt get better try a taper or something else. Time will help. Good luck to you. Kim

Old 06-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #5
Podee
Veteran
(male)

Podee HB User

Hang in there.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
ET123
(male)

ET123 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Stopping Oxy - taper vs cold turkey?

Thanks everyone. If it doesn't get any worse than this I think I can stick it out.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:15 PM   #7
tryinghardmom
(female)

tryinghardmom HB User

You're doing great....hang in there.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:14 PM   #8
Boiler Bob
Inactive
(male)

Boiler Bob HB User

I agree with the others, your already on day three, & it should start getting better by day five. If you go back to the hydro (vics) Your probably going to start w/d's over again.
Myself I came off of 480 mg a day of oxy. Plus roxycodone, & any other opiate I could get my hands on. Abused it for ten years.
I tappered for four months, then went cold turkey. I had really bad W/D's for five days, then lesser w/d symptoms for 17 more. I'm now into day 54. You might want to think about getting some support, aa or na. Even now I'm still craving, & if it wasn't for this board I probably would have lapsed by now.

Last edited by Boiler Bob; 06-14-2006 at 05:30 PM.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:25 AM   #9
ET123
(male)

ET123 HB User

Day 4 seems worse than day 3, I thought this would get easier by now, at least a little bit. Every fiber in my being tells me to get a bottle of Vics and try to taper off of that. This is just horrible. I can't do a damn thing, I'm neglectful of my chores around the house. The place looks like a dive and I'm usually somewhat of a neat freak. I ache everywhere but especially this rotten feeling in my gut today.

Please tell me it will go away.

After four months what had you tapered down to Bob? Below 80mg oxy?

Last edited by ET123; 06-15-2006 at 06:27 AM.

Old 06-15-2006, 11:20 AM   #10
ET123
(male)

ET123 HB User

OK, an update. I talked with a nurse friend and she was appalled at what I was trying to do (cold turkey) and immediately said that if I wanted this to all be over the very fastest way then that's it, but that if I needed to go to work and function as a human being then I had better consider a taper plan.

I caved... sorta. I took ONE Norco 10/325 and all of a sudden everything is right in the world. ONE! I'm sorry if I have let anybody down but I was looking at day 4 with no relief in sight and I absolutely MUST work tomorrow so I had to do something. I'm thinking one was this effective because I already had 96 hours under my belt. So here's my plan. The nurse suggested I try to take a total of 6 the first day or two, and then four etc... I think with as good as one has made me feel six is excessive so I think I'll try to start with four and taper on down from there. I WANT six yes, but this isn't about what I want anymore. The only issue is the return of some back pain but she gave me a lidocaine patch and told me to try that and VIOLA my back felt better within an hour. I've been on Norco and other Hydro before and got off of it without much incidence at all and I am thinking tapering down from this will be an absolute breeze compared to what I was going through. I wanted so bad to stick it out all the way Bob, but being self employed and having work scheduled for Friday I had to do something. If today had been better than yesterday I would have stuck it out but it seemed even worse with no end in sight.

My question, when I get down to a pill or two a day will I have anything like what I went through the last four days? I can't imagine so since I've never had a problem stopping the Hydro before, it's the OXY that did this to me.

BTW My girl friend is dropping off the doses at 6 am and 3:30 pm so I can't cheat. Any input appreciated...

Old 06-15-2006, 04:48 PM   #11
tryinghardmom
(female)

tryinghardmom HB User

Hi AC...no need to feel like a failure....you do what works for you and if you can handle a taper, then by all means do it. No, I would be willing to put money on the fact that if you go from 1 pill to a half to zero, you will not feel like you did going ct off of OC. I think with me, there's always a psychosomatic (I think) w/d feeling at the time of what was my usual dosage time.....but that goes away in time....and you may not deal with that at all.

You are to be commended for still hanging in there with a plan. Good luck!
Christy

Old 06-15-2006, 04:52 PM   #12
ET123
(male)

ET123 HB User

UPDATE #2 I started feeling like crap-ola about 6 hours after taking the first Norco. I waited until almost 8 hours to take pill #2 just now and I gave my GF the rest of my supply an told her to bring two back to me tonight. I am hoping that I won't need to take them but I do need to get sleep so I want them on hand just in case the eebie-jeebie w/d's hit me again tonight. My plan is no more than 4 per day tapering to zero and hoping this lidocaine patch thing might be an alternative to Hydro/Oxy in the future. I am coming to the stark realization it is the Oxy that did this to me, something I basically took when I couldn't get my Hydro then eventually I ws taking the stuff daily. Like I said before I have been on and off Hydro when I've taken it as prescribed (or at least somewhere in that neighborhood) and never really had any issues when my script ran out. This go-around (the last two-three months) my back pain was especially persistent and that's when I went through my script so fast and ended up getting the Oxy on the side. I have a non addictive sleep aid I can take tonight and hopefully I'll wake up with my two Norcos on my nightstand. I pray to God that's the case.

Anyway, I am on a rampage to hopefully find a non habit-forming answer to my back pain, I simply cannot and will not go through these w/d's ever again. The dosages some of you went cold turkey from make me feel like a pure wimp in comparison, the last 4 days were 4 of the worst in my life and I will NEVER take Oxy again. The stuff works so good, but you just can't quit taking it and that is not something I can deal with.

I'll keep updating here, the GF will be back in a couple hours but I can't imagine needing another hydro anytime near that soon. On the other hand, I can't trust myself at this point and that's why she has the pills. Honesty in all we do right?

Ok, NA. Yeah... this is an issue I am going to have to deal with. I was taking the meds for ligitimate pain, but I was eventually taking meds not prescribed to me and when I tried to quit you all see what happened. I am a recovering AA and NA member with 14 years clean/sober under my belt. My drugs of choice were speed and pot, not to mention huge amounts of alcohol. I'll talk to my sponsor but I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go back in as a newcomer and start my time over. Maybe not with AA but I think I will with NA. I haven't touched a drop, smoked a smoke of any sort, or snorted a thing since 1991... And it wasn't my intention to get high off of the pain meds... BUT I didn't mind the buzz I'll admit. I don't feel so clean.

BTW, thanks Christy. If I had known one Norco would make me feel that much better I would have done that first but I think the four days from hell is something I had to go through to even get to that point. It's four days of my life I will never forget.

Last edited by ET123; 06-15-2006 at 05:00 PM.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:11 PM   #13
Boiler Bob
Inactive
(male)

Boiler Bob HB User

Hey A/C,
I hope your still doin better.
What I was thinking last night was, that once you had been on the Oxy, coming off any other opiate would still put you in W/D's. I hope it doesn't. I too had no problems comming off hydro after surgerys, but that was years ago before I got on the crap. The last ones I took was a 1/2 of a 80 + a 40mg roycodone, but I had cheated that day. (as I did all through the tapper) I had to work that day, so I had slipped in two 80's, & two roxy's earlier that day. I paid for that in W/D's. Never want to go through that again!, but the mind still plays tricks with me. That demon is still in the back of my mind, trying to get me back!
I too started on this road with ligit pain. I'm still in ligit pain, & I'm trying to learn to live with it again. I have to, I have no other choice.
Hang in there bud!

Last edited by Boiler Bob; 06-15-2006 at 09:16 PM.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:31 AM   #14
ET123
(male)

ET123 HB User

Thanks man. I've still only taken two Norcos total and it's 4:40 am. Woke up feeling better than I have in a week by far. It looks like I can make it on 3 pills a day for now. I feel lousy but nuthing like it was and If I can delay the 3rd pill another 4 hours that would actually be 2 pills a day instead of the six my nurse friend suggested. Perhaps a little optimistic but I can hope... and pray.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:29 PM   #15
ET123
(male)

ET123 HB User

Took pill #3 at 5am and I'm still feeling wonderful at 1:30pm. Going to try to get through the night on one more. At this point I am thrilled to have caved in yesterday, I went to work today and made my money and I see total light and freedom at the end of the tunnel. Making an appt. with the doc to see about a script for lidocaine patches rather than Hydro in the future, I want more than anything to be free of pills. The roads of hell are paved with pills, I know this for sure!

I love you all, thanks for the support, I'll keep checking in to keep you updated.

Closed Thread