It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Body-Wide Aches And Pains From Drinking??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2006, 06:36 PM   #1
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User
    Red face Body-Wide Aches And Pains From Drinking??

Hi

I was a 6-12 pack a day drinker for a year and a half and then quit for over a year. However, about 6 months ago, I relapsed again and have been drinking less this time (as well as less frequently) although I realize I should'nt be drinking at all!. Anyway, my question is this. I used to be able to chug down a case of beer, get a nice "buzz", go to sleep and feel great the next morning. However, as time has gone on, I've noticed that even if I drink 3-4 beers I generally have a HUGE hangaover the next day with body-wide aches and pains that are just unbelievable -plus- my guts burn like crazy and I have diarrhea all over the place. It feels like I'm a 101 year old crippled up old man on a cane with arthritis and yet I'm only 43!. Also, this goes on for 2-3 days where I just feel like complete crap. It NEVER used to be this way!.

Why do I feel this way?. Can you actually become "alcohol intolerant"?. Is my liver not doing the same job it used to do when I was younger and it was better able to filter out toxins (like alcohol) so that the toxins are staying in my system longer?. Is it my age?. Why is it that all my young adult life, I was able to handle alcohol with no problem but now that I'm an alcoholic, suddenly I can't seem to be able to pick up a beer without paying dearly for it for the next few days?.

Well, the good news is that I'm sober now. Also, the day after I engage in an evening of heavy drinking, I sometimes feel achey, feverish and run down. Is this normal?.

Thank's for your help/input/advice - MUCH appreciated!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2006, 07:14 PM   #2
    Iwant2quit
    (female)

Iwant2quit HB User
    Re: Body-Wide Aches And Pains From Drinking??

I can not relate to what you are going through, but I would say COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS, MAYBE IT IS GOD TELLING U NOT TO DO THIS! REALLY! I wish I had that kind of sign on pills. I get no signs. It is probably you know you should not be doing it and you feel guilty for doing it! If you haven't been to the doctor then maybe you should get an overall check and tell them the truth! In the mean time do what you was doing and stay off the alcohol cause i know of all people I wish I did not drink and I only drink a little every night, but before I would not drink at all! I think us drinkers are just lonely and bored so we need to find something to keep us occupied and mean what we want to keep our minds occupied! I LOVE MY KIDS AND I AM TIRED OF THEM SEEING ME DRINKING OUT OF A BEER CAN AND A POP CAN!! HAVE A GREAT NITE LOVE U ALL

Old 06-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Sounds to me like your body has had enough. Your liver is prob working over time if it's working at all. You should go to doc and get a checkup. Get your liver and kidneys checked out, as well as your heart. Sounds like your body is tired.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:56 AM   #4
    kindathinkin
    Inactive
    (male)

kindathinkin HB User

Flintrock is correct. Heavy drinking does damage to your liver. No surprise there. We all know that. If you give your body a chance, the liver can sometimes repair SOME of the minor stressed areas.

The misunderstanding that a lot of drinkers have is that there is a belief that the liver will repair itself completely. This is urban legend.

Heavy drinking can and usually does permanent and irreversable damage. It will repair itself to some extent, but heavy damage stays. If fact, even if you never drink again, the damaged liver can start to deteriorate and cause a lot of trouble for the rest of your surviving liver as well as stress to the kidneys.

If you damaged your liver and you want to continue to live, don't ever drink again. Focus your efforts on trying to keep your body healthy and strong. You don't have liver to spare.

Last edited by kindathinkin; 06-20-2006 at 01:57 AM.

Old 06-21-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User

Hi again and sorry about the late reply.

I really appreicate the time you all took to respond to this post. I am currently "dry" after relapsing again and have written my doctor a letter which I will give to her on monday (she's on vacation now). I want her to do a liver function test and BMP and give me a prescription for Campral (which I've heard so many good things about). I really hate worrying myself sick over my liver, kidneys, pancreas and other organs and besides, I used to be a "happy drunk" but more and more, I am becoming a mean one and I don't like what this crap is doing to me or feeling hungover or full of anxiety all the time.

Yesterday, I drank a LOT of beers and was constantly raging and screaming at my animals and my roommate. I even threw a beer bottle across the room so hard that it shattered into sand-sized pieces which embedded themselves in my bedroom wall. I've also been reading that the more times you detox and then relapse, the more difficult it is to quit each time and the greater chance there is for siezures and such (very scary!!).

Anyway, thank's again and take care. We are all in this world together!.

- Regards, LT

Old 06-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
    kindathinkin
    Inactive
    (male)

kindathinkin HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LonelyTraveler
    Yesterday, I drank a LOT of beers and was constantly raging and screaming at my animals and my roommate. I even threw a beer bottle across the room so hard that it shattered into sand-sized pieces which embedded themselves in my bedroom wall. I've also been reading that the more times you detox and then relapse, the more difficult it is to quit each time and the greater chance there is for siezures and such (very scary!!).

Regards, LT
    LT, why do you get angry and violent when you drink? Do you understand it? Can you explain it?

Old 06-22-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
    denzden
    (male)

denzden HB User

I think with drinking 3-4-6 beers gives you a headache over a nights sleep. But when you drink 8-12-24 you wake up still buzzing and throughout the day you medicate yourself with food, water and other things. I think the alcohol dilutes and the dehydration dosen't hit your head as much. Maybe?

Closed Thread