It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Melatonin or Valerian Root?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
    dmstx75
    (female)

dmstx75 HB User
    Question Melatonin or Valerian Root?

Has anyone heard of or had success taking Valerian Root or Melatonin (natural supplements) to help with sleep issues while tapering off of Xanax or any other drug, I have such a hard time sleeping now that I'm weaning myself off and have had these products refered to me. I'm on St. Johns Wort which is another natural supplement to help alleviate some of the anxiety I feel....anyone?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2006, 11:24 PM   #2
    PK777
    (female)

PK777 HB User
    Re: Melatonin or Valerian Root?

Do not take melatonin if you are under 50 years old because your body will stop producing the chemical that enduces sleep if you do and you will end up with worse insomnia than you have now. Valerian root has never worked for me nor has any other herabal remedy (poopy seed mixes. etc). Kava kava is the one I haven't tried, basically because it's really realy hard on your liver. I have, in my life, gotten some prescription pain pills and they are the only thing that has ever worked effectively on me. I haven't taken a prescription sleeping pill in years and I have also not had a good night sleep in years. If anyone has any suggestions, the OP and I would love to hear about it. Oh, and please don't say benadryl, because to most people, it causes drowsiness, to me, it makes my heart race and I don't sleep for days after taking it.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:16 AM   #3
    Liamsmom
    Inactive
    (female)

Liamsmom HB User

I don't know about taking it while tapering but Valerian root really helped me when I had insomnia.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:51 AM   #4
    ethos987
    (male)

ethos987 HB User

Melatonin helped me.

Last time I used it though was a long, long time ago (in galaxy far, far away - that was a joke (and kind of true anyway ha)) and was for major wd's like methadone (which is really a 'don't mess' wd). Nowadays I pretty much don't use anything specifically for wd. Just kind of hunker down and wait...

Anyway, it kind of worked in emergency.

Good luck.

ethos

Old 06-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
    dmstx75
    (female)

dmstx75 HB User

Ok, thanks everyone, I guess the sleeping part is just something I'm gonna have to work on naturally, thanks for your help!

Old 06-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #6
    Spumante
    (male)

Spumante HB User

My experience when coming off a taper from Hydros last year was going to my Dr and he prescribed rozerem. It works with your normal bodys sleep/wake pattern and is non addictive. You can google it and find out more info. Hope this helps.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

For occassional sleepless nights I have tried 1mg of melantonin (if you are taking nexium, it doesn't mix.) and Benadryl (I am sensitive to most drugs, but not benedryl and it has worked). Kava Kava and Valerian Root never worked for me. Chamolie Tea has worked for my daughter. Oddly enough I have noticed that when I have taken Naproxen's (an anti inflammitory) I have slept like a baby, although I would never try it as a sleep aid. I know people who have tried OTC Unisom.

I think it is trial and error with everyone's body and none of these should be relied on for every night. I know when I suffer from sleepless nights, nothing keeps me asleep. Good luck, I feel for you.

A few tips: cut out caffiene, even that one cup a day, stop watching tv n your bedroom, and keep something on like a fan, filter or noise maker to drown out background noises, try a hot bath.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:50 AM   #8
    ididitonce
    (male)

ididitonce HB User

I've tried Melatonin, 5-HTP, Valerian and Kava.. all of them helped with my sleep, but Melatonin made me feel groggy the next day.

As for Kava.. I've read that the leaves are what can damage liver, and that you just have to buy products where they only use the root (most). If you look around you can buy the Kava product with the most Kavalactones(the active ingredient) that way you're taking fewer capsules.

I also had some success taking a Calcium + Magnesium supplement, this helped me sleep.

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2006, 06:02 AM   #9
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

I wouldn't worry about using Melatonin or Valerian for short term use to help ease the sleep issues whilst coming of Xanax. I use them both occasionally, but not on a regular basis. Valerian is only really effective on occasional use for me.

B complex will help with your sleep patterns and also accepting that you won't sleep some nights will help; eventually your body will work it out; don't tamper too much anymore though.....

Closed Thread