It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Last day of quick taper, tomorrow ct!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2006, 06:53 AM   #1
    HydroHead
    (female)

HydroHead HB User
    Last day of quick taper, tomorrow ct!

Hey everyone. Just thought I'd start a new thread since tomorrow is D-Day (detox day). I have tapered the last 4 days, taking 4 or 5 pills a day instead of the usual 15 or 20. It's been hell. Sweats, chills, body aches, terrible taste in my mouth. I have 4 left for today then that is it. I have started the vitimins already, I really don't know if they are affective or not, sometimes I think they are a placebo for the vics or just something I do to make me think I have some sort of control over how bad my wd's are. But anyway, can't hurt. I have a hectic schedule today, but I will post tonight or tomorrow and let everyone know how I feel. Wish me luck I need it.

Amy

PS. wish me strength too, I need that more than luck right now!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
    sad,mum
    Inactive
    (female)

sad,mum HB User
    Re: Last day of quick taper, tomorrow ct!

hi,wishing you luck and strength,have watched my daughter many times through withdrawl and know its not the best place to be,with willpower you will do it,have every faith in you,take good care of yourself and look forward to following your progress,will be thinking of you,love sad mum

Old 07-07-2006, 07:57 AM   #3
    tryinghardmom
    (female)

tryinghardmom HB User

Amy, you can do this. Stick to your guns and know that you're building a better heritage for your daughter. This dance we do with the pills makes us so 'now' focused (at least it does me) that I think we lose our vision for the future and the days of our kids' lives slip on by. wow...I'm gonna make myself cry. But anyhoo.....I'll be thinking of you and want to see your posts!

((hugs!))
    Christy

Old 07-07-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
    ET123
    (male)

ET123 HB User

HydroHead, that's a funny name! Hey I wish you the best. You'll be fine, it won't be fun but you can do it.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:11 AM   #5
    Over It 2day
    (female)

Over It 2day HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Last day of quick taper, tomorrow ct!

Hi Hydrohead~

Great job on tapering! I know it isn't easy doing that and you've done it! Way to go girlfriend!!! Wow- what a super fast taper! Why the quick taper? ....Do you work and are you saving the weekend for the hellish times ? You should expect at least 3-5 days of severe WDs and as each day passes- your WD symptoms will diminish more and more.....Are you planning to use any sleep aids? Cuz- I know you said you need your sleep to help care for the baby- insomnia will be another long WD symptom that lingers...

However I hate to sound like Jane Fonda or some exercise freak BUT endorphins are the only chemical that will help your brain receptors get back to its normal state the quickest. Although you will feel like you're dying - you must get out and get some type of cardio - even if its only walking your baby in a stroller- DO IT... you will be very surprised how much it really helps with your overall well-being- mind-body-soul...

I'm very proud of you hydrohead- You're doing wonderfully!!! Woo-hoo!! You should be so proud!! Here are some bouncing green men for you... REMEMBER if you can't fathom even doing walking- then just bounce like the green men- jumping jacks or jumping rope is cardio too!!! JUST DO IT!! (Gawd, I sound like a Nike commericial too!!!)

Post tomorrow when you feel like dog doo-doo and we'll be here for ya!! Take care

Last edited by Over It 2day; 07-07-2006 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 07-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #6
    HydroHead
    (female)

HydroHead HB User

Thanks everyone. The taper had to be fast because I only had about 20 pills left and REFUSED to spend any more money on them. So here I am, 5:17 pm, with one pill left. I am saving it for when I need to do the bed time routine with my daughter. I feel like everything takes SOOOOOOO much effort! Just lifting her onto the changing table and changing her diaper makes me break out into a sweat and get short of breath. I am glad it is the weekend and my husband can help with the baby (he thinks I'm sick, too chicken ****** to tell him the truth. Then come Monday, if I feel I can't take care of her (which is most likely) I can drop her at Grandma's for a few days. They love having her sleep over and would keep her forever if I'd let them! The sweats and the chills...that's what has made me relapse so many times. They lasted 3 weeks last time and I finally caved. There's only so long a person can feel like crap before they do something about it, if you know what I mean. But this time, I have decided that if I can't go on, I will call a Sub doctor, not my PRESCRIBING doctor, and get the right kind of help. I hope I can do this on my own, but if I can't, I will ask the right person for help. Pray for me.
    Amy

Old 07-07-2006, 02:24 PM   #7
    HydroHead
    (female)

HydroHead HB User

Oh and about the sleep, I have Ambien and Xanax. I know that they, too can be addictive, but I have used them both over the years and never had a problem coming off them. I will only use what I need to not kill myself.

Amy

Old 07-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Amy-
    You just keep on being strong and, in time, it will come. I know it's not been easy so far, and you still have a long way to go, but you have done great in staying true to the tapering, so you have proven that you really want this and that you can handle it.

As far as sleep. I know you said you have Ambien and Xanax and haven't had a problem with stoping the use of them, but if you are already weak and stressed from getting of the vicodin, then please be very careful about taking them. Have you ever tried Melatonin for sleep? It's all natural/organic and is made naturally in your body when night is coming to trigger your body to get tired and go to sleep. Would you be willing to try that instead of the other two things? You can get them at most health food or GNC stores. I used it several years ago and it worked and also didn't give me that groggy feeling the next morning.

Anyway- you should be so proud that you have made it this far. That speaks alot about your determination. Best wishes and do keep us posted. We have your back!

Lezlee

Last edited by ozzybug; 07-07-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Old 07-07-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
    newday4me
    (female)

newday4me HB User

Good Luck to you! I am on day 26 now myself and feeling pretty great again. I am taking tramadol for my shoulder which some say is a substitute but it is working for me. My w/d's were not that bad and I am staying well below the recommended dose of tramadol. I will be thinking about you, YOU CAN DO IT!

Old 07-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Newday-
    Congratulations on day 26! Again, you keep up the good work because you are worth it!

I have to caution about the Tramadol though. I would never assume you are using it as a substitute, but please use great caution because that stuff is highly addictive. I don't mean to offend at all, but there are so many people under the assumption that because it's not an opiate that it's not addictive but that is just not the case. Even the patient information leaflets state that it's habbit forming and can lead to unhealthy drug seeking habits. (this is the same warning listed on the narcotic/opiate medications) I'm not saying that will happen to you at all, but there are so many peole here who have had to fight that demon.

Have you ever tried Toradol? It's not something recomended for long term use, but it is an amazing medication as far as reducing pain. I've even used it for migraines and it worked. Suprised me, but I was greatful.

Anyway- no more rambling. You ladies deserve good things and good days to come your way. Congratulations again!

Lezlee

Last edited by ozzybug; 07-07-2006 at 03:02 PM.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:05 PM   #11
    newday4me
    (female)

newday4me HB User

I've got the tramadol down to two a day, early and dinner time. The plan is to do away with the evening dose next week and see how the shoulder is. If just ibuprofin is not enough I will look into something else cuz I sure don't want to just exchange this monkey!

Old 07-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #12
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Newday-
    Thank you for not taking offense to what I said. I know it was a tremendous mountain to climb to stop taking pain pills- especially since you do have pain. I just didn't know if your doctor had spoken with you about the Tramadol. I had a very dear friend who wasn't warned about it and he had prior addictions and the doctor put him on the stuff and never once warned him. The doctor knew about the past addiction issues too. My friend ended up in a world of hurt because of the Tramadol and it wasn't even his fault because he had no idea.

Anyway- I will send positive thoughts that your shoulder pain will be easily managed with ibuprophen. You deserve to be able to live a full life with as little pain as possible. Good luck, and good job!!

Lezlee

Old 07-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #13
    HydroHead
    (female)

HydroHead HB User

OK, just took my last pill, hopefully forever! I know that the next week will be hard, I just pray that the same thing that happened in April will not happen again. Has anyone else had the sweats and chills for 3 weeks after detoxing? I wonder if there is anything for that, to make it go away. I here Chlonidine does that, but where would I get that stuff? I know they use it sometimes at detox facilities or meth clinics, but I am trying to not go that route. Anyway, I just pray that this time I will be strong enough to not cave. With all of you, I just might make it this time. Thanks for your support!
    Amy

Old 07-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #14
    ET123
    (male)

ET123 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Last day of quick taper, tomorrow ct!

Read the "sample detox plan" sticky in this section. Lots of great ideas... Nothing will make it totally pleasant but it makes it more bearable for sure. From what I have read, three weeks is pretty much the longest you can expect the misery to continue with the first week of course being the worst.

Somebody mentioned that Immodium is a real help, not only for keeping you off the toilet but also for lessening w/d symptoms. Not sure as I didn't try it but if I had to do it again I sure would try it.

Nyquill and/or Theraflu helped me sleep. The night sweats and leg pain were the worst part and those two things along with numerous hot baths got me through it.

Let us know how you're doing, and hang tough.

Old 07-08-2006, 04:45 AM   #15
    HydroHead
    (female)

HydroHead HB User

OK, it is 7:30am here, 12 hours since my last pill. I did something I never did before...I called my doctor and told him the truth!!!! He said that I'm not the first and wont be the last, and that he thinks he can help. Now I know a lot of people have become addicted to utram/tramadol, and I have read their struggles, but he called in a script of them for me and gave me these instructions: Take one pill only when the wd's seem like their going to kill you, of if your hands are in so much pain you feel like you might cave. No more than 4 a day for no longer than 10 days and an addiction should not arrise. He said that in his 26 years being a doctor, he has had patients addicted to everything, (he even told me a story about a girl who thought she was addicted to Celebrex and would hound him day and night for more!) and when it comes to tramadol, the only ones who have been addicted were the ones that abused the drug, taking mass doses to try and acheive a high. I told him about the xanax (which I got from a friend, not him) and he cautioned me but again he said that addiction to xanax takes approx. 4 weeks of abuse, not just use. If I take it only 2 times a day I should be ok. He was so understanding I wanted to reach through the phone and hug the man! If felt good to tell the truth. I have the tramadol, haven't touched it yet. I feel pretty good this morning, except that the nasty stomach problems have started already! That usually happens on day 3 for me. OOOOHHHHH to be on day 3! What I would give! I had some restlessness last night and had to go sleep on the couch, as I didn't want to accidentally smack my hubby in the head. Although there have been many times I've wanted to do that, this is not one of them Anyway, I'm doing ok for now. I will post later and let you know how it's going.
    Thanks for all your support!
    Amy

Closed Thread