It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• methadone to subutex

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
    birddz
    (female)

birddz HB User
    methadone to subutex

can anyone give me some advice about changing from methadone to subutex,i've been on meth now for a good few years and want off it,fed up going to chemist everyday for my daily dose,plus i just want to get clean of everything.my councellor suggests subutex for 4 weeks,and thinks this will work as i have detoxed right down on my methadone over the past six months and i'm now down to just 20mls,does anyone have any experience of this or advice they could give me,coz i just want to be clean of every drug asap but i dont want to put myself back to square one once again,this has got to be it this time.... any advice would be greatly appreciated,,cheers!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
    JAT
    (male)

JAT HB User
    Thumbs up Re: methadone to subutex

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bizz
    can anyone give me some advice about changing from methadone to subutex,i've been on meth now for a good few years and want off it,fed up going to chemist everyday for my daily dose,plus i just want to get clean of everything.my councellor suggests subutex for 4 weeks,and thinks this will work as i have detoxed right down on my methadone over the past six months and i'm now down to just 20mls,does anyone have any experience of this or advice they could give me,coz i just want to be clean of every drug asap but i dont want to put myself back to square one once again,this has got to be it this time.... any advice would be greatly appreciated,,cheers!!!!

Hi Bizz,

I was able to get off opiates a couple of years ago using Subutex. It worked very well and gave me my life back. The only trick is making sure you are moving from your current Methadone dose to the right amount of the Subutex. I'm not sure what the rules are here regarding referring you to the dosage converter that I used to make the conversion but you can find a dosage converter by using google. Also, the doctor should be pretty good at figuring out the right dose for you. But it's always good to do your homework.

Also, I am currently trying to detox for the second time in my life and unfortunately I don't live in the same area as I did the first time but the doctors in this area prescribe Suboxone. The difference between the two drugs is that Subutex is Buprenorphine whereas Suboxone also has Naloxone in it. Without getting into details, I highly recommend Subutex because Suboxone is not working well for me. Check out the manufacturer's website for more info. They also have a phone number and you can call and talk to one of their RN's.

Good luck and I hope that helps.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
    DomyDog
    (male)

DomyDog HB User
    Re: methadone to subutex

Yes Bizz,
    Normally in the Uk they want an individual down to 30ml of Meth before they go on Subutex. When one starts the Sub they have to be in the early stages of withdrawal from Methadone or Heroin, otherwise the Subutex, which binds very strongly to the opiate receptors in ones brain, will kick all of the Methadone off of the opiate receptors in ones brain, leaving them with no opiates at all in the lump of grey matter and thus causing immediate, severe withdrawals. With Methadone, because it has a fairly long half-life, the wait is from 24 to 36 hours after ones last dose of Meth. The advantage of Subutex is that its strong affinity to bind to the opiate receptors means that doses over about 4mg will stop other, less powerful, opiates working at all if one tries to use which certainly helped me discontinue my Heroin use after I had wasted a lot of money trying to get high while the Sub was fresh in my system.
    As I have mentioned in my thread though, Subutex is not necessarily a good maintenance drug in the long term and it is not a good idea to remain on it for too long or, when you come to quit if that's what you want to do, you will be looking at a very long rattle.
    Good luck with your battle Bizz, you have my support all the way. At least Sub or Meth keep us off the street if we stick to them. The alternatives, using, lying, stealing etc, are good for nobody.
    God bless
    PEACE
    DD

Last edited by DomyDog; 08-09-2006 at 09:12 PM.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:23 AM   #4
    DomyDog
    (male)

DomyDog HB User

Bizz,
    Check my thread mate for my answer to your last Q. I should have posted here? really but I am a 'newbie'.
    PEACE
    DD

Old 08-10-2006, 04:31 AM   #5
    minxie
    (female)

minxie HB User

Hi JAT, I switched from methodone to suboxone about a year ago. The one thing I learned is that you need to be off the methadone and in withdrawals before starting the sub. I was off methadone for two days but still went thru precipatated withdrawals when I started the sub at two mgs. I don't know if it would be different with subutex since it does not contain naltrexone. I wish you luck with the switch and with your recovery.
    peace Minx

Old 08-10-2006, 09:16 AM   #6
    JAT
    (male)

JAT HB User
    Smile Re: methadone to subutex

Quote:
    Originally Posted by minxie
    Hi JAT, I switched from methodone to suboxone about a year ago. The one thing I learned is that you need to be off the methadone and in withdrawals before starting the sub. I was off methadone for two days but still went thru precipatated withdrawals when I started the sub at two mgs. I don't know if it would be different with subutex since it does not contain naltrexone. I wish you luck with the switch and with your recovery.
    peace Minx

Minxie,

Thanks for the info, but why are you telling me? I didn't ask the question.
    Either way, you're right, you have to be off of Methadone enough so that you are in withdrawals before you start the Subutex.

Bizz,

The key aspect of Subutex is that it allows you to regain your life. You don't have to stand in line everyday to get a methadone pill. You can take the Subutex once or twice a day (twice a day is more comfortable for me) and then go on with your life. And as you decrease the dose, you can use a pill cutter to slowly taper your dose. It's very difficult to do that with Suboxone because there is also Naloxone in the tablet and you might cut too much Naloxone into your dose thus causing withdrawal symptoms. Not good. That's why Subutex has worked best for me.

Old 08-11-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
    birddz
    (female)

birddz HB User

thanx Jat for your advice it's really helpful and great to know that there are people like yourself willing and able to give good informative advice ,cheers pal,Bizz STILL SLEEPLESS IN SCOTLAND

Old 08-11-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
    DomyDog
    (male)

DomyDog HB User

Bizz. Hang in there mate. YOU WILL SLEEP AND WHEN YOU DO IT WILL BE THE DOGS GONADS MATE. Again I replyed to you on my thread. Sorry about that. Hope it makes sense to you. Again, HANG TIGHT BRUV. You can do it, you're worth it mate.
    God bless
    All my support
    DDS (The S gets explained on the other reply)

Closed Thread