It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Vicodin Addiction Questions ~ i need help fast

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2006, 07:24 PM   #1
    drake.1975
    (female)

drake.1975 HB User
    Question Vicodin Addiction Questions ~ i need help fast

I began taking vicodin almost 2 years ago due to a broken leg. I have been hooked ever since. I take them to get high, I take about 3-4 per day, 5 days a week. I take them along with about 4-5 drinks (vodka and 7up). I have several question. I need to stop and I plan on today being my last day. I stopped about few months ago for over 6 weeks and after a few days I felt wonderful and began working out and eating healthy.

1) Will I have any long term side effects from taking the vicodin?
    2) I have read that vicodin does not cause weight gain but I have gained 30lbs in 2 years, could it be from the vicodin?
    3) What can I do to lessen the withdrawl effects?
    4) I start a new job in 10 days, if I stop today will it come up on a drug test?
    5) My urine smells terrible, I have the urge to urinate frequent however it is a small amount.

I appreciate anyone's help to answer these questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2006, 08:42 PM   #2
    LisaV
    (female)

LisaV HB User
    Re: Vicodin Addiction Questions ~ i need help fast

Hi Drake,

I can't answer any of your questions as an expert, only as a person who had read many posts here and someone who abused hydros for about four years.

Long term effects of hydros - well, all I know, is that if you get off of them, you are better than being on them. Hydros (especially with alcohol) can hurt your liver, but I would think you'd feel the effect already. I don't know about the urine smell, that could be from several things. Some can be related to other health issues like diabetes, but as far as hydro/alcohol abuse goes, my thought would be that you need more water, fruit, vitamins, in your system. Your urine excretes what it doesn't need, but also will give you signs of what you are missing. So that is a question for the experts. Just keep in mind, your urine should be relatively clear and not smell. I take B vitamins, so my urine, for the first half of the day, is yellow but has no odor.

Weight gain - I haven't heard or experienced weight gain from hydros perse, however, hydro abuse can lead to an unhealthy lifestyle and stress, both which can cause weight gain. Alcohol will make you gain weight, no argument there, even if you eat nothing and just drink.

To lessen the withdrawals - read the Thomas detox at the top of the board. It seems overwhelming, but the Big 50 B vitamins, exercise, water, and no alcohol, will help you for sure. It depends on what help you need. Some need help with sleeping and swear by melatonin or benedryl. See what works for you, but with alcohol, I would be cautious with the benedryl.

Drug Tests - There's a post here by lorcetmike (he's an MD) that speaks to how long hydros stays in your system. They have a short half-life, so a few days according to the schedule should do it, but look it up please.

Drake, good luck in getting clean. These board are a god-send. They cannot totally replace help from a face-to-face group like NA, but they are better (much better) than going it alone.

Lisa

Old 08-25-2006, 09:21 AM   #3
    shell1
    (female)

shell1 HB User

At first taking pain killers made me loose wait, at the end I think it just bloated me up. I am on day 13 off of the pills and I have lost almost 20 pounds. That is a lot for 2 weeks. I had no appetite plus getting sick all the time didn't help either. I hope you get off now while you are still using so little. When you get to the point I was at it is about the hardest thing to do. You get sick as a dog. Hope all goes well for you.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
    aliciar35
    (female)

aliciar35 HB User

I am just going to tell you from my own exper. as the others.

if you stop now you will prob. have very little w/d.
    I was taken at least 30 percs. a day then moved onto oc's about 7 to 8 40mg pills a day.
    I had to stop!!! I still slip was 4 weeks clean and took 2 oc's today it is very hard...
    please for yourself and your health quit now while it is not so many a day.
    the longer you take them the more you will take.

as for the weight gain I did not gain weight but lost alot but that was because I did not want to eat and ruin my high.
    so I am not really sure about that.
    as the others say about the urine it is prob. what you are eating or not getting enough vitam. or veg's..

I wish you all the luck in the world.
    I am new to all of this myself and I am finding it eaiser everyday to write and read what ever I can in these rooms.

best of luck,
    Alicia

Old 08-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
    ARayOfHope16
    (female)

ARayOfHope16 HB User

Hey Drake,

I am 3 months clean from a Vicodin Addiction and hope to give you some tips to staying clean. I didn't want to use other prescription pills to wean myself off so i went cold turkey. Iced Grean tea really helped me flush my system (I drank about 2 liters a day) Also try to sweat as much as possible to get everything out. Tylenol PM helped me at night. And if you want to have a drink just make sure it doesn't trigger you taking a Vic.

Emotionally this may sound crazy but I took my last vicodins that I was holding on to for "emergencys" and threw them out the window on the expressway. I don't know it made me feel powerful lol

I wish you the best of luck! It is going to be horrible at first but in a couple weeks you'll feel like you just woke up from the horrible nightmare. Also treat yourself to something great!!

Best Regards,

Christina

Closed Thread