It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Tramadol - kicked the little devil!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #1
    vide1111
    (male)

vide1111 HB User
    Tramadol - kicked the little devil!!

Hey everyone! As some of you may remember, I had a thread about this and my attempt of going CT from 25+ pills of tramadol (50mg pills) which I took for no apparent reason (no medical conditions @23 years old, male) than to get high. Weeks afterwards, the once-in-a-while habit turned into addiction and I HAD to have these each day to feel ok. Getting them was easy but I spent quite a bit on them and was tired of looking for the fedex man to arrive each week. So I thought cold turkey would be best...well, that didn't work! I gave in at half that dosage and tapered down by 1 each day after that. The sweats, irritability, lack of energy, lack of motivation, DEEEEEEEP depression (tram plays with serotonin like an SSRI...wish I knew!!), diarrahea, lack of sleep, etc. were just unbearable but with tapering from 12 down by 1 each day, by the time I arrived at 2 pills, the acute physical symptoms died down. Taper was hard but remembering how HORRIBLE cold turkey was....taper was better.

I did feel WDs but they were A LOT milder than with CT from such a big amount (taking around 25 pills every day for a few weeks and 5-20 pills for 4-7 months). By the end of the week, when I took 2 pills, I actually felt sort of okay and when I took 1, craving was there, but physically it was a lot better (actually felt the high off this 1 pill). Then I cut down to half and then stopped. The only pronounced leftover effect was the anxiety and lack of sleep...tried alcohol, OTC aids and that helped a little but it was all a crutch. My first week with 0 pills, I gave in the 4th day for around 2-3 days after some craving and took half one day, 1 another (50 mgs), and then down to half again but no strong WDs were felt anymore.

Finally I've had enough and now it's the 6th day after giving in to taking the half pill (25 mgs) and I feel great. My goal was to get into a healthy lifestyle and that's exactly what I'm doing. I started a raw food diet 6 days ago or so and I think it's because of this that I feel so much better. The craving is gone (for now...I suppose) and most importantly, I can't feel the anxiety as much as before and I can sleep ok without ANY crutches like alcohol or sleep pills. Just want everyone to know that this little 'non-addictive' miracle of a pill called tramadol (or brand name ultram) CAN be kicked!! It's almost as if it's a spiritual experience to get unhooked...that's how it felt to me and hopefully for the better.

What helped me with the initial WDs: reading these boards, copying&pasting post excerpts dealing with addiction into a file (a little motivation pick-me-up), liquid vitamins/minerals, THOMAS RECIPE, immodium, st. john's worth, lots of "ready-dinners" (making food & eating was the LAST thing on my mind so that definitely helped to keep me full), playing video games (occupy the mind) and a long-term goal in the back of my mind (getting into shape, etc.). The depression was real bad but with the taper nearly not as bad as it was when going CT...I did this twice already and for some reason the taste of the WDs I can still VERY CLEARLY remember...hopefully I'll never forget what hell I went through. The mental long-term addiction I'm working on but ever since starting this healthier-eating regimen and getting back into working out a little bit, craving just isn't there. I'm probably gonna go on some kind of fast to clean my system up. Either way, my focus had changed and I find that I no longer think of tram at all. Even though I can get a hold of 100 pills or so just like that....just isn't worth the money though nor my health. Reading the posts on these boards was one of the MAIN motivators and the only support I had...THANK YOU!
    Danny

Last edited by vide1111; 08-25-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2006, 08:35 PM   #2
    vide1111
    (male)

vide1111 HB User
    Re: Tramadol - kicked the little devil!!

Hi everyone...still hanging in there although with a mental craving today. Ever since I gave in again after being clean for 4 days, that last day during which I took half pill (25mg), which was 08/21, it's now been 12 days since I've been clean. Ever since that time, I've been eating extremely healthy, mostly raw fruits and veggies on top of liquid vitamins and minerals and all the physical WDs are gone. Lost some weight gained due to tramadol (first it was suppressing appetite and then it just felt good to eat while on it) and I sleep better, wake up whenever I feel like it - no longer have to schedule my wake up according to when next I'll take the pill...that's one of the best aspects of this...I'm not controlled anymore! Either way, tonight being the weekend and all, I'm feeling an urge to take a half pill and this MENTAL craving can be felt on and off for 30 minutes already.

I know I do have some laying around the house somewhere since I haven't gotten rid of all of them due to a friend of mine wanting a couple for his leg pain but still hasn't picked them up but it's like I have my mind MADE UP that I will NOT take it. The craving is there because I'm not going out tonight like usual and I feel kind of depressed but I'm not taking any. Just wanted to let you guys know that the MENTAL part is still there and I think it will be there for a while. Physically, I'm great but mentally/emotionally, mild depressive episodes still pop up once in a while, on and off. I still haven't started running like I planned and I think that's what I need; the NATURAL rush to make me feel better. I'm still cherishing how every morning I wake up and don't feel sick. THAT is great!
    Danny

Last edited by vide1111; 09-02-2006 at 08:39 PM.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:15 AM   #3
    Blasterboy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

You story is great and you've done so well, I bet this post will be such an inspiration to so many who suffer from Tramadol addition, but please clear out the ones lying around or else they will have you! I remember the story my sponsor told me of a sponsee who framed a can of beer as a reminder of his history and the fact he'd over come the beer.

So needless to say one day the urge of having the DOC so close at hand led him to rip the frame to pieces and the beer was duly drunk and the rest that followed.

I personally would never have my DOC lying around my house for "whatever reason," it's too much temptation!

Old 09-03-2006, 06:39 AM   #4
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Danny when I first stopped taking vicoden I dont know for some reason I still carried one in my pocket and had one by my nightstand. I cant tell you the reasoning behing it I think it was me proving to myself the pills were not as strong as me and I had to keep the temptation there to prove that I didnt need them. I'm weird so I dont know it I count. Well you have 12days clean still (hopefully) and that is a huge accomplishment. WATCH OUT for the mental cravings cause even after I think 6wks clean they were there full boar I couldnt stop them and they wouldnt go away so I caved. You really feel ashamed and mad everytime this happens. I am only human. I wish you luck I have read sooooooo many terrible things about this ultram glad I never touched that stuff!!! Kim

Old 09-04-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
    toughtime
    Inactive
    (female)

toughtime HB User

Hey Danny!

Way to go with being clean and sober for so long! My brain is fogged today, so I read 6 days... give or take. I'm on my 3rd day off a bad hydrocodone addition, and I too really just took them to get high. Try to resist. If you give in and take it, you're going to beat yourself up about it and it won't even be worth how disappointed in yourself you'll feel. That shame spiral can lead to more pills. You're only 23 and you're doing so great! YOu're inspiring me about the whole foods and exercise. I've been living off pizza and cereal and that's an effort! LOL. hang in there man!

Debbie

Old 09-09-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
    MsMinn
    (female)

MsMinn HB User

Danny,
    Thank you SO much for sharing your experience. I am currently taking tramadol and I want off! I took it for just 45 days last year and spent a weekend of hell getting off because I did it cold turkey. This time, I haven't been taking as many daily...sometimes just 3, sometimes 5 or 6. It is worse when I drink because they unfortunately take care of the hangover in an instant so I have no willpower. I tried to quit when I ran out over Labor Day w/e but got SO depressed and started to ache that I ordered more, thinking I should taper more slowly. Well, now I have still been taking too many and still drinking. My goal today is to NOT DRINK.
    My question is...what is the best method to detox slowly? Should I taper down for a week taking 3 a day, then the next 2 a day, then 1 a day, then 1/2?
    I don't know if I will have the willpower, but I just can't face the pain of the WD again so am worried I will cave if I don't do it slowly.
    Congrats on your success...that is so encouraging. I too want a healthy lifestyle again...more than anything!! I do yoga and walk and eat well when I'm healthy. With this stupid tramadol, all I want to do is exist. It totally sucks. I'm even embarrassed to tell my counselor. It just seems so stupid that I let myself get in this situation again after saying I'd NEVER take it again from my last WD, almost exactly 1 year ago.
    Thanks for listening.
    Ms Minn

Old 09-09-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User

The slower you can detox the better as the body needs time to adjust to each new dose.Tramadol can cause seizures when abused so be very careful.Take advil for aches and pains and also take immodium AD as it's an opiate but doesn't cross the blood brain barrier and it can relieve alot of the withdral symptoms.Drink looks of fluids especially sport drinks like gatorade.Good luck and take your time with it.....Dave

Old 09-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #8
    MsMinn
    (female)

MsMinn HB User

Danny, I am just wondering if you are still doing well and free of tramadol?
    I am on day 2 of tapering. Had only 3 yesterday and plan to have 3 again today. I had anxiety and sweats last night, but I seem to be ok at the moment.
    Minn

Old 10-11-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
    cdog31
    (male)

cdog31 HB User

i have been following these boards for a long time. i would have posted a new thread but dont know how. tramadol has improved the quality of my life dramatically for over a year. i take it in small amounts, 5 per day to help depression, eradicate it in fact. . so i ask this question. if something works for you why not stick with it?

Closed Thread