It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Signs of Crack Use???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-05-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
    AliR
    (female)

AliR HB User
    Signs of Crack Use???

My boyfriend used to smoke crack up to about a year ago. I didn't know him then and only met him months after he had stopped. He made the decison to stop on his own because of the effects it was having on his life. He is also an alcoholic who is doing fairly well with staying away from the booze. However, my bf has started acting very differently the last couple of weeks. Lots of evasiveness, unexplained (or lied about) absences, very irritable and very tired. He can't be drinking because he has an ignition interlock on his vehicle from a past impaired driving charge but I am wondering if he could be using again. I have asked him outright and he has denied but I still have my suspicions. What types of signs could I be looking for if he is using? And how can I best support him if he is? I do not want to be co-dependent and have absolutely no experience with any drug use at all, so am not sure whether I could be totally over-reacting because I am not sure how he would act if he was on crack...would I...or how would I know? Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User
    Re: Signs of Crack Use???

I'm not really an expert on this but I know my ex was a crack addict and I hated it. Missing money nothing to show for it, irritable when questioned about it, weight loss, I noticed irritability, hanging out with different people, disappearing acts. Very manipulating. Good luck

Old 09-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User

Sounds to me like he has symptoms of using.When you notice changes like this then something is happening and considering his past you would have to assume the obvious.Just let him know your there if he needs to talk.You should also prepare for the worst as relapses tend to be bad,most addicts tend to use more of their drug of choice then before they quit which can lead to overdose...Good luck...Dave

Old 09-05-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
    whoevea
    Inactive
    (female)

whoevea HB User

Money missing
    out all night or out for days
    stealing money or taking things around the house so he could sell them
    you say hes irritable and that could be a sign.
    very moody and doesnt wanna be bothered

check to see how much money he has and how much he has left OR if he has any at all..

good luck

Last edited by whoevea; 09-05-2006 at 02:06 PM.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:13 PM   #5
    AliR
    (female)

AliR HB User

Only once was he missing all night...the other time he was MIA for about 2hours. He had an explanation...although fishy for both.

Money I wont know about cuz we don't live together. What about physical signs?

Thanks

Old 09-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #6
    whoevea
    Inactive
    (female)

whoevea HB User

Crack addicts have many tell tale signs of their addiction. A few physical signs of crack addiction include dilated pupils, sweating, weight loss, irregular heartbeat, frequent upper respiratory infections, fits of coughing, coughing up black mucous, muscle tremors, severe headaches and a decline in personal appearance. Additionally, a few emotional signs of crack addiction include dramatic mood changes, and insomnia followed by exhaustion, loss of interest in friends, loss of interest in food, sex, or other pleasures, hearing voices and hallucinations.
    are you sure hes not drinking again?

Old 09-05-2006, 07:34 PM   #7
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I recommend a drug test. If he absolutely says no...then you'll know....the only to know for sure. You can get one at any drug store....

Old 09-07-2006, 06:39 AM   #8
    Crackedegg
    (male)

Crackedegg HB User

Signs of abuse of crack:

1. Irritability
    2. Severe anxiety(the longer they have been off the worse it gets to the point that he would not be able to hide it.
    3. With above severe paranoia
    4. Weight loss
    5. Staying up all night and at times seeming to need no sleep
    6. Picking at skin, although not as bad as with crystal meth.
    7. Seeming never ending sickness of one kind or another
    8. Hitting. Especially spousal or girl friends. If he lays a hand on you leave and never come back. You never come back from that. Especially when confronted about using drugs.
    9. Complete inability to have fun at anything
    10. Complete and total lack of grooming. It slowly comes on to the point where they just dont shower, shave, get hair cuts, etc.

Now the very very easy signs:

1. Look at his hands especially his fingertips they will become brown, actually burnt. This will come it is on all crack users after time. He will not be able to hide this. He will try to hide his hands. Ask to see them and see what his reaction is.
    2. Burnt or browned area on lips.
    3. White or very dark brown film on toungue

Crackedegg

Closed Thread