It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• How do I become a less addictive person?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #1
    seejay713
    (male)

seejay713 HB User
    How do I become a less addictive person?

I'm 20 years old and in college. I smoke weed (many times a day), cigarettes (all day), and I drink most nights w/ friends (not just when I go out). I also have just within the last few months become horribly addicted to Afrin nasal spray. I'm realizing only now as I'm trying to get off the nasal spray how addicted I am to it and it makes me wonder how addicted I am to these other habbits. I really don't think much of weed or alcohol but I REALLY DO WANT TO QUITE CIGS AND NASAL SPRAY. So...

I'm gonna try and take down the nasal spray first and as it will be hard to breathe I'll hopefully cut down on wanting cigs (since I can't breathe). After that I'll like to finally get rid of cigs for good.

So any suggestions on the pyscological aspect of detaching myself from these habbits? Cigs is kind of a boredom/idleness problem but the afrin is REALLY physical. I CAN"T BREATHE AT ALL without it. Any tips or stories about quiting these things will help me a lot. I saw another topic about Afrin and it helped, but if anyone knows anyway to sooth that horrible exploding congestion feeling (especially in the ears) I'd love to hear it. Anyway I feel like making this post and telling as many people as possible will help me stick to it so please respond. I know these aren't the worst of addictions but the afrin is KILLING me and the cigs seem like a mosquito that just won't get away from me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2006, 10:38 AM   #2
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
    Re: How do I become a less addictive person?

nasal spray is very addictive. You just have to stop using it and after a few weeks you will be fine. May have to blow a lot during that time. You can use saline solution (small amount of salt and warm water)...that helps little babies breathe when they have a cold. the weed, you should really give it up as well as the cigs...bad, bad for your lungs, and yes you can gt lung cancer from weed...no matter what anyone tells you. the drinking, well, we all drink once in a while, but if you have to ask about that, then you should quit. Good luck.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #3
    mpvt
    Inactive
    (male)

mpvt HB User

I agree with Flint,also when you abuse the nasal sprays they start to clog you up and you can't breathe out of your nose.The weed is a waste of time and destroys your lungs even quicker then cigs.You seem to have an addictive nature and now that your aware of it you can watch out for things that you can or could get addicted to.Does that makes sense to you????....Dave

Old 09-09-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

If you do a search on healthboards there is an old post of others who were also addicted to afrin. Some said that after 3 days the symptoms were gone the stuffiness. Also some strong salt water in an old bottle and others went to their Dr's to get help to get off it with rinocort and nasacort so I would check around. My mom is a nurse and would never let us even use nasal spray cause it was so addicting. So people in the medical field are aware of this. Good luck and you can kick all your addictions I kicked all mine but the smokes so good luck. Kim

Old 09-09-2006, 02:01 PM   #5
    shell1
    (female)

shell1 HB User

I agree also, my dad was addicted to nose spray. The best one you can get for yourself is the Ocean spray if you have to have something. I think that is just water and salt. Maybe you could switch to that and then wean off of that also. I also agree with every one else. It might be time to quit all the bad habits. I am sure you have heard this before but AA, NA really help. Good luck and God bless!!

Old 09-09-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
    Honey6288
    (female)

Honey6288 HB User

I've asked myself this many times. I never used nasal spray but I was highly addicted to Sudafed.

I started smoking weed and cigs in high school with some drinking. I never liked alcohol that much or weed for that matter. I liked speed and Coke though. Anything that would keep me going. I hated to sleep and never liked it as a child.

Clubs and the party life for me! Loved it all but some drugs were not my choice. That didn't stop me from trying them out. I thought they were all pretty cool even if I didn't want to continue them.

I grew up with 2 intelligent, hippie-type parents. They set the limits and I broke them or broke them when they didn't know. They had high hopes for me but I loved a Tee I wore that said Zero Potential. Yeah, that way I didn't have to live up to anything.

I messed around and then quit most drugs except the once in a while Coke. I still hated alcohol but I smoked like a fish. I loved it and still do though I quit 5 years ago. Nothing is like that first drag in the morning. Nothing except dying.

I gave it all up until I found pain pills. Whoa! Now that was something I could get in to. Yeah, I had tried some 8 balls but too intense when you have bills to pay. But Vicodins were just what I needed. I could use those and still maintain. Even when I reached more than 100 per day.

Of course you can't get those unless you're doing something illegal and I sure was. Jail time and rehab for me many times over and none did any good. I can't do the 12 steps. I could only do 3 or 4 and then right back.

Pure will power made me give it up for a few years. Enough to finish college and land a good job. And find an honest, kind man to marry. I still smoked and I still found docs to give me my drugs. All legal.

One morning I woke up and thought this is it. Either I end it now or find help. I didn't want to tell my family but I went to a doc and got put on anti-depressants. I entered therapy. Six years later, I am off everything.

Why do people get addicted? Who really knows? Environment or genes? I have a theory that all are depressed whether it be chemical or otherwise. The main thing is to get help.

Honey

Old 03-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
    copper95b
    (male)

copper95b HB User

"you should quit all your habits". Easy to say huh? Take it one day at a time and one addiction at a time man!. I am fighting this F$%king Affrin thing right now. My nose is running like the cops are chasing it and I can't breathe to save my life. But I have only been on this **** for a week and I woke up today like this. I just wonder how long I have to suffer like this. But bro, take it one day at a time and if you dont quit the first time (any of your addictions) just dont quit quitting.

Last edited by copper95b; 03-09-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Closed Thread