It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• cig addiction/chantix new approach

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-06-2006, 12:35 PM   #31
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User
    Re: cig addiction/chantix new approach

flintrock,icare and from your bodily description and appearesnce,too bad your married..ive been divorced since 99...
    sadmum,so proud of you,keep up the good work...who loved ya...if we could not abuse nicotine it sure goes down with a glass of wine great...
    cram,missed my quit date cause i had some smokes left hanging around here...when i finish them in the next day or two,thats my start date...i definetely feel the med working,but also remember what my doc said,that the company that makes the stuff actually encourage you to maintain your habit till quit date,,......and it is a two - three month therapy program.....tonight i will pray thru my holy spirit for your son...chef...no side effects

Last edited by chefob1; 10-06-2006 at 12:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2006, 01:02 PM   #32
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

Yvonne - I was a bit nervous about introducting the second dose of Chantix into my system today but at 3 pm I took it. The package says morning and evening but I couldn't imagine taking it in the evening, I was afraid I would never fall asleep. I took the second dose 8 hours after the first one.

To back up a bit earlier today, at 2:30 I had the craving and I gave in. It was the first enjoyable smoke I had since starting Chantix, that made me realize my body got used to the single dose.

Chef, my last pack is dwindling down and I am a bit nervous I may run out before my quit date. I now wonder three things, what happens when our bodies get used to the second dose, why it is a two or three month therapy program and how our bodies will react when we go cold turkey off the Chantix? (Thank you for the prayers. I pray for the members and their families of this board every night, we have a strong circle of prayers working for us. Son has had a very good week.)

Chef, Yvonne, The big question, have you cut down since on the Chantix? Because I have.

Sadmum and Flint, how well did you two do fighting the smoke devil?

Last edited by cram315; 10-06-2006 at 01:10 PM.

Old 10-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #33
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

Yvonne, let me know how your day goes with two doses. I am on day five and I have struggled the last two days. Nothing like the first three days. It's like I switched to placebo's.

The last two days on two pills it was like I hadn't taken anything at all and to think I was afraid of taking two doses. No trouble sleeping, I ate both days trying to deal with the cravings, the cravings were strong. What happened?

I had a real battle today to keep my number at 4 because I know my quit date is Tuesday and I was so disappointed in myself yesterday, I smoked 6.

Do I sound edgy, LOL. Addiction isn't easy.

Is Chantix all hype and we are really quitting on our own? Or am I just experiencing the irritability part of quitting? Sorry so crabby.

Chef, you are the only one I know that is on Chantix after day five, have you experienced what I did?

Old 10-07-2006, 07:25 PM   #34
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Cranky please you sound just fine to me. My fiance actually swithed bedroom and set up in the family room cause I was too cranky to be around so as long as that hasnt happened yet your just fine. lol. He probably will be doing it again in a couple of weeks. Well at least this time he will be able to get in the bathroom cause I wont be living in it (if you know what I mean). I know chef more info on how your doing going friday to get my rx for chantix and need to know if its worth it. Kim

Old 10-08-2006, 06:55 PM   #35
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

I posted this is another thread but thought it should go here too.

Have you guys thought about a gift you will buy yourselves from quiting and saving money!!! I dont know about you but I figure sometimes a pack a day at sometimes over 5.00/pk x's 7=35 x 4=140/mo which comes up to 1680/yr thats a nice little vacation and I think we all have deserved it for a LOOOOONNNNGGG time!!!! Keep up the good work and see ya in the bahamas! Kim

Old 10-09-2006, 06:30 AM   #36
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

chantix is working great for me...you have to give it time and understand what the drug does for you..it has removed intense cravings for me aqnd you have to break the hand to mouth habit...its like if you close your eyes when you smoke and you dont see the smoke exhaling from your lungs,you wouldnt smoke...small habits to breask and chantix seems to be working...absolutely zero side effects for me..hope everyone out there is doing fine..may life take care of all of you...chef

Old 10-10-2006, 06:09 AM   #37
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

Today is day 8. Quit day!

Day six and seven were smooth. Instead of taking my pills immediately after my meal, I waited. The full stomach absorbed the pill too well. Took my blue pill this morning.

Yvonne, I am sleeping good. Looking back it may have been a temporary side effect or from something totally unrelated.

Kim, try it. I am still on it because I believe in it, I am not dwelling on smoking at all. It is more like a passing thought and that's it, it is definately working. I am a little witchy around dinner time but instead of blamming it on withdrawal I am recognizing it as ending a long day being tired and hungry.

Yvonne, the Chantix works, it helps you. It is hard to imagine not craving something until you try the Chantix the way it is prescribed. The cravings are cut down considerably, it is manageable. I stay active. This weekend all I did was push myself out the door. Hiked, gym, shopped. I know nothing about the spray you are talking about. Is it harmful to your health or just addictive?

Chef, sadmum, flintrock, check in let me know how things are going with you. Still going strong flintrock? Sadmum still ok? You are the reason why if I have to break down and smoke one today until the higher dose builds up in my system I will cut myself a break because you give me hope. Chef, you had the biggest hurdle quitting another addiction, I am proud of you!

Old 10-11-2006, 03:58 AM   #38
    chefob1
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

chefob1 HB User

cram...chantix is a plus for me also...have to be in the right frame of mind...a couple times a day ill take one of my girlfriens smokes and rip off the filter and take a few puffs..i used to smoke two packs of kools a day...have to break away from her butts now...thats why they say it takes a few weeks of being on this med before your drug(nicotine)free...in the litature it suggests that even after yiou quit to possibly stay on the med for another month..i have lost the craving desires,thats for sure...gotta go,luv you/sadmum,hope all other is well...chef

Old 10-12-2006, 02:26 PM   #39
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

Hi Chef, two packs down to a couple of times a day, is miraculous!. A friend tried that laser therapy and it didn't work, so glad I didn't go that route.

Today is day ten, things are just easy with this smoking habit. I cheated twice. Day eight I was witchy, so I lit a cigerette and took two drags and was able to put it out, same with day nine, witchy, two drags and I put it out. This is tremendous.

Yeah, the mind set is important, I don't want to be a slave to my addiction. I feel free. I wonder how long before we feel that surge of enery that the smoking was zapping from us?

Luckily my husband quit 8 months ago (cold turkey), all I have is a few left in a very stale pack and I am not panicking about running out. Now even my girlfriend who smokes two packs a day is considering it.

Yvonne, Sadmum, Flintrock, how is it going?

Old 10-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #40
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Getting a rx for it tomorrow!!!! Kim

Old 10-12-2006, 05:06 PM   #41
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

Kim, I am so happy to hear this. Chantix works better than anything I have tried in the past. When I first went to get mine filled the pharmacy didn't have any in stock so I had to wait through the weekend.

Let me know how you do on it. I almost forgot to take my second pill today and went I went to take it I realized I have too many pills left, somewhere in the past few days I forgot to take one.

Suggestions, in the begining take on a full stomach to avoid any upsets and up your fiber when you increase your dosage

Keep us posted I want to be here to support you if you hit any rough spots and I want to meet you at the finish line!

Old 10-12-2006, 05:12 PM   #42
    sad,mum
    Inactive
    (female)

sad,mum HB User

Wish i had this pill,it sounds so much easier,i went on web and i can buy it from US but they wont let it in country,how mad is that,struggling but still in the count,sadmum

Old 10-12-2006, 08:33 PM   #43
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Sadmum dont feel down your still in the race. Well I figure the chantix is doing its job and what do I have to loose. Nothing but a trip to England!! With Chef cooking. I'm glad I wont be alone. I really hope I can do it sometimes I feel weak but everyone else can do it so can I. You guys have been smoking alot longer than me. I fell under peer presure at 12 and I'm 31 sad but everyone I started smoking with quit years ago I hate visiting and having to step outside and we have COLD winters here and cant even smoke in a bar so I'm always cold if I go out with my friends and lonley too. So I will join the ranks you have inspired me again. Be on the wagon soon. Kim

Old 10-12-2006, 08:36 PM   #44
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Doc gave me some chantix and I start tomorrow........the patch was helping, but I won't no nicotine...........so I'll keep you guys posted.........I can't wait to see how it does.........

Old 10-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #45
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

PS. Scott quit cold turkey too and had never looked back. Like I said before he woke up and coughed and said I'm done smoking stopped that day and never lit up again. Gosh sometime I dislike him ALOT lol. Kim

Closed Thread