It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• cig addiction/chantix new approach

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2006, 05:43 PM   #61
    catherine2
    (female)

catherine2 HB User
    Re: cig addiction/chantix new approach

Hi there...

I began Chantix 13 days ago. For the first 7 days I took the starter pack, 1 pill per day for 7 days, and am now on 2 pills per day. Last night, I had the worse night ever. I had sweats, leg muscle spasms, and the dreams have been weird. Today has been the very worst day yet as far as cravings are concerned..it felt like they were back again every darn hour. I had been smoking a pack a day, and the last 8 days or so have smoked between 5-8 cigarettes per day. Someone told me I'm going through withdrawal. Can that be true given I am still smoking a small amount? Has anyone else had this experience???? I've been so irritable over the last 8 days or so..today, I'm just reduced to tears.
    Anyone else????????????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2006, 07:11 PM   #62
    Gemi_Lee
    (female)

Gemi_Lee HB User

Hi Catherine2
    I'm just on day 3............I'm very irritable, no energy & wild dreams too!! I sure hope it gets better............I'm thinking I might be going through some withdrawals as well........don't know, but it sure feels like it.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:40 PM   #63
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Cram I'm so proud of you for still not smoking with everything that has been going on your remaining strong and in control of this addiction and I really am proud and I hope soon I will be following in your footsteps!!! Get paid next week. So I will be getting it filled how come all the meds that can make us better and healthier have to be so darn expensive but my "bad" scripts were so dirt cheap. I just dont understand how this works and its frustrating. Oh well it doesnt matter if it helps me to stop and get better I will pay for it. I guess at one point I would have paid alot for a different kinda pill. Proud of you and good job. Kim

Old 10-21-2006, 01:49 PM   #64
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

Thanks Kim I have to admit today I am craving a bit MORE than usual....so I am eating instead, lol. Today's cravings are the ones that come from deep inside. I think today is day 18. I know, cigerettes are taxed to death and they don't use the money to help curb the cost of these drugs. But it's worth it Kim, if you really want to quit.

Gemi Lee - I was irritable the first 11 days. Being tired is a side effect of nicotine withdrawal. You should check the web for all the side effects with nicotine withdrawal so you know what to expect. My dreams are just plain comical.

Catherine2 - I suffered bad cravings day 4, 5 and today, day 18. Our bodies aren't going to give up nicotine w/o a fight. Your body is used to 20 a day, it wants more than you are smoking. You are not out of the woods yet, none of us ever will be. We are all nicotine addicts. The only thing that is going to help us is time. But you will win this battle, just give it time. If you have to smoke 6-9 during your third week, fine. I wasn't able to cut it all out until day 12, but I only smoked 6-9 a day originally. So cut yourself a break, for two weeks you are doing amazing! I had leg cramps too, very minimal and they always passed as quickly as they came. But I would mention them to your doctor.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:52 PM   #65
    Gemi_Lee
    (female)

Gemi_Lee HB User

Hi Cram,
    That's good to know about the irritable and tiredness!!! the dreams aren't as weird as they were in the beginning.

I was with my mother-in-law today for several hours who I have never smoke around and I wanted to smoke pretty badly this is day 6 for me I'm still smoking it just doesn't do any good when I do smoke. I guess the thought that I can still have a cig gives me something!!!

Did anyone here quit in the 2nd week on the med like it says?

Good luck to everyone.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #66
    Yvonne710
    (female)

Yvonne710 HB User
    Quitting on the second week

To answer you Gemi_lee I had to add something about quitting on the second week, although I respect anyone who can do that, I have not...

I did not quit on the second week as the suggestion was, in fact I am on week 3 and still consuming small amounts of nicotine. I can go most of the day without it, but if I skip a pill I can really feel the cravings again.

It's really important to take it regularly, I guess. I think the cravings are all psychological now, like, those moments I need to fill up with something else. This medication really makes you feel okay without nicotine, which is amazing. The only reason I use it is purely out of habit.

I need to set a quit date. Or I'll keep dragging it out. I'm glad to read the new posts on this board as this is inspiring to share our successes. I think other Nicotine addicts are the only ones who can understand how hard it is.

God bless you all

Old 10-24-2006, 03:49 PM   #67
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

That is probably the reason why my cravings go up and down, I never take my pills at the same time, I always get side tracked.

I don't take my pills on a full stomach anymore (so they are stronger in my sytem). That means I take my first pill anywhere from 9 - 11 am, the second pill anywhere from 4 - 5. I never took it at night.

I picked up my second script today for next week. Although in the mornings around 11, I keep thinking I don't need this pill, I am taking no chances.

I think they know it takes some people longer to quit. The recommendation is 1 - 3 months. I am sure there are people who take it 4 or 5 months. But I think the key is you have to pick a quit date for it to work.

What I find amazing is I can stand in line at any store and see all the cigerettes for sale behind the counter and never once does it cross my mind to buy a pack.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:11 PM   #68
    Yvonne710
    (female)

Yvonne710 HB User
    Wink Chantix update

Hi Cram and everyone fighting nicotine dependence!

Cram that is a good point about taking the meds w/out a meal to boost potency - good tip. I have been taking them with a meal so they don't jack up my stomach.

I am at the end of week 3 and don't feel like I need Nicotine whatsoever. I have this bad habit of using it, though, and I feel abnormal if I don't. I guess it's reassuring to know that the timetables are flexible and it's a pretty individualized thing. Not every one quits completely at week 3. Big sigh of relief.

How many days/hours does everyone here have from nicotine??

Yvonne

Old 10-31-2006, 03:15 PM   #69
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

Hey everyone, I am down to one pill a day. I cut out my am dose and only take pm dose when I start getting that feeling. It has been working just fine the past four days.

I am 18 days nicotine free. I originally started the Chantix 30 days ago.

Yvonne, sometimes on an empty stomach they do bother me but it is minimal and I carry rolaids just in case.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:11 PM   #70
    clips
    (female)

clips HB User

[QUOTE=Gemi_Lee][SIZE="3"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Navy"]Hi everyone,
    I've been tracking this post for a while I had a script it up. I was shock when I went to pay ......just read your post about prescription....glad your insurance co., paid such a large amount for you. THEY ALL SHOULD....help us all out. I dont have insurance, I was determined that I had to give this a try. Believe it or not I have Triple AAA, the clerk at Wal-Mart asked me for my card and I saved $18.00. I was thrilled. This is the second week for me and I feel very confident that this may be the answer to finally quitting.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:45 AM   #71
    Gemi_Lee
    (female)

Gemi_Lee HB User

Hi Clips,
    I'm glad you were able to save some money!!

I'm getting ready to start my 4th week all I need to do now is make a commitment to myself to never smoke again!!

Last week I smoke 2 cigs per day!! scratch that I didn't smoke any on Tuesday that was a rough day.....ARGHHHH....

I think the Chantix is by far the easiest on withdrawals & cravings but you still have to 'want' to give it up.

Keep us posted.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #72
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

Hey everyone. We have AAA, I will have to call my pharmacy and see if I can get a refund. They never said anything.

Earlier I had said I cut my pills down to one a day. I don't suggest it. I am back to two pills a day. I wasn't ready and was substituting food instead. I read something that made sense. It said that to avoid weight gain stay on the method you chose to quit smoking (pills, gum, patch) for the recommended three months. So three months it is for me.

It made me realize, one month of Chantix wasn't enough, I have been smoking for decades. I went back up to two pills a day. I take one at noon and the other at 8 pm. I battle the cravings at night.

Just curious, what time do you take your two pills at?

Kim, you out there?

Old 11-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #73
    Gemi_Lee
    (female)

Gemi_Lee HB User

Hi Cram,
    I take the 1st dose at 7:30am then the other one around 3:00pm. I notice I'm really craving when I get up in the morning. Grrrrr......

Old 11-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #74
    Iwant2quit
    (female)

Iwant2quit HB User

WHERE DID EVERY ONE GO? I was following your stories? Did you all go back to cigarrettes all @ once or just decide to leave

Old 11-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #75
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

LOL, I didn't go back to smoking. It will be one month smoke free on the 14th. Chantix still working. The real test was the other day I was stressing and thought about smoking (out of habit, you know stress = go smoke) but never did it enter my mind to give in, not even a flicker.

Got the eating under control too.

Iwant2quit - did you quit smoking?

GemiLee - how are you doing with it? Are the cravings still strong in the am?

Closed Thread