It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• cig addiction/chantix new approach

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2007, 11:53 AM   #106
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User
    Re: cig addiction/chantix new approach

No withdrawals at all. Actually starting to get some energy back too!

Been smoke free since 10/14.

Still carry them around with me in case I get the feeling (the feeling is hard to explain, my mind that is in control now doesn't want to smoke and wouldn't even consider it but my body craves the nicotine still once in awhile, lets face it we will always be nicotine addicts. Thats when I reach for one chantix. I take about two a week.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2007, 05:34 PM   #107
    Rassia
    (female)

Rassia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cram315 View Post
    No withdrawals at all. Actually starting to get some energy back too!

Been smoke free since 10/14.

Still carry them around with me in case I get the feeling (the feeling is hard to explain, my mind that is in control now doesn't want to smoke and wouldn't even consider it but my body craves the nicotine still once in awhile, lets face it we will always be nicotine addicts. Thats when I reach for one chantix. I take about two a week.)
    Several of us from my office have quit smoking by using Chantix and are very impressed. I was the first. I have stopped taking it twice and both times was VERY moody. Did you or do you know of anyone that experienced this? Was just wondering if it lasts very long. I can hang with it if it only lasts a few days. Everyone at work is anxiously awaiting an answer to this.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:16 PM   #108
    donewithvics
    (female)

donewithvics HB User

have you taken the recommended course of treatment of 3 months? I honestly don't think you'll have w/ds from the Chantix at all nor will you want to smoke...it's over with. But take it as prescribed for now...I'm actually doing it for 6 months just to make sure I don't relapse.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:16 AM   #109
    jwf222
    (male)

jwf222 HB User

i didnt read all 15 pages of this thread, but i got a script for chantix today, from my skimming i had a couple of questions. my doc said today that when you start the chantix you should immideiatly put down the cigs, but ive seen some mention of people trying to cut back smoking while taking the pills. whats up with that? and about the cost, does insurance not cover the cost of the chantrix or are those of you talking about paying over $100 uninsured? thanks for any info.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:54 AM   #110
    maryber
    (female)

maryber HB User

jwf222,

Most people quit (from what I have been reading on these boards) day 8 or after. I stopped on day 6 and I am now on day 8 so its only been 2 days of not smoking so far!
    Good luck to you!
    oh and as far as insurance and price, I was lucky enough to have gotten the first months sample from my GP, I guess I will find out in a few weeks if its covered by insurance, but dealing with health insurances everyday at my job I can tell you more and more of the health plans are covering this medication.

Last edited by maryber; 02-08-2007 at 11:57 AM.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #111
    Rassia
    (female)

Rassia HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by augirl View Post
    have you taken the recommended course of treatment of 3 months? I honestly don't think you'll have w/ds from the Chantix at all nor will you want to smoke...it's over with. But take it as prescribed for now...I'm actually doing it for 6 months just to make sure I don't relapse.
    Yes, maybe it was just a coincidence that I was so moody! HA!

Old 02-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #112
    donewithvics
    (female)

donewithvics HB User

Per my drs instructions, I was RXd the starter pack which included 3 days at .5 mgs and then 4 days at .5 mg 2 times a day. It's during this time you are to continue smoking regularly while the meds are getting into your system. So, by day 8, you are up to 1 mg in the morning and 1 at night and you shouldn'tneed the smokes anymore...and, you really don't. But, on the other hand, don't beat yourself up if it takes you 2 weeks or more to quit. It's been a breeze for me. I was a smoker...25 yrs and at least a pack and a half/day. No withdrawls for me at all with this drug. Weird. Only side effects I experienced were the vivid dreams and nausua if I didn'ttake it with food and water. My ins covered mine...but, I think more and more are covering it...even if it doesn't, it's worth it. think of all the saved money on smokes!

Old 02-09-2007, 06:57 AM   #113
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

Hi, thought I would update you on my progress, I have been smoke free since 10/14/06. Gained some weight but have a handle on that and am trying to take it back off.

Chantix enabled me to quit smoking and break the habit. But my body still must crave the nicotine because there are days it goes through I am missing something and the something must be the addiction.

I stopped turning to food to fill the void, which wasn't filling the void because that wasn't what my body wanted. I take a chantix on those days, I have learned to recognize the symptoms.

I imagine after smoking for what seems like forever, being smoke free is great but my body has issues with that

Interesting thought....is it the nicotine or the chantix that my body craves?
    Cram315

Old 02-09-2007, 04:43 PM   #114
    Rassia
    (female)

Rassia HB User
    Wink Re: cig addiction/chantix new approach

Quote:
    Originally Posted by augirl View Post
    Per my drs instructions, I was RXd the starter pack which included 3 days at .5 mgs and then 4 days at .5 mg 2 times a day. It's during this time you are to continue smoking regularly while the meds are getting into your system. So, by day 8, you are up to 1 mg in the morning and 1 at night and you shouldn'tneed the smokes anymore...and, you really don't. But, on the other hand, don't beat yourself up if it takes you 2 weeks or more to quit. It's been a breeze for me. I was a smoker...25 yrs and at least a pack and a half/day. No withdrawls for me at all with this drug. Weird. Only side effects I experienced were the vivid dreams and nausua if I didn'ttake it with food and water. My ins covered mine...but, I think more and more are covering it...even if it doesn't, it's worth it. think of all the saved money on smokes!
    Same here. I followed the same instructions. My insurance also covered. I have taken 1/2 a pill until Thursday and today is my first day without. I hope I don't have any more mood swings. I'm not worried about smoking, I truly never want to smoke again. I feel so much better when I wake up! Maybe taking the 1/2 won't make it so extreme to my body. Thanks for all of your input!

Old 02-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #115
    jwf222
    (male)

jwf222 HB User

anybody have a lot of stomach problems with the chantrix? my doc said that was a potential side effect, and my stomach isnt very tough anyway, so that may create a problem for me when i start. is it stomach pain, or repeted trips to the bathroom he was refering too?

Old 02-11-2007, 08:55 AM   #116
    maryber
    (female)

maryber HB User

Hi everyone ! I am 5 days smoke free! I honestly cannot believe that I am doing it!
    I'm on day 9 of the meds and I just started with the wacky dreams last night.... boy are they crazy!

jwf222, I, myself have not had any stomach problems (just some painless gurgling sounds).
    Besides the dreams which arent so bad, I havent had any side effects.
    I even went to a bar last night and didnt crave a smoke!!
    Loving life as a non smoker.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:09 AM   #117
    cram315
    Veteran
    (female)

cram315 HB User

Maryber, congratulations!!

I quit after 12 days on Chantix, that was on 10/14/06. There were two tough days that I experienced in the first 12 days, if this happens to you, don't give up, stay strong it is just your body not wanting to give up the addicition without a fight.

These past two months I don't think of smoking at all, matter of fact smelling it or smelling people who smoked turns my stomach. They have no idea how bad they smell.

Suggestion, to this day I carry chantix around as maintenance, haven't taken one in over a month but first few months I did quit, there were times out of the blue my body was craving something strong and I knew it was smoking after I started stuffing my face and I would take a chantix to take the edge off. Worked.

Good luck, hope this helped!

Old 04-14-2007, 12:08 PM   #118
    flintrock
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

hey cram!! Yes that chantix does work!! How in world are you? All is well here. Still dealing with son...not the drugs...that I know of...but his irresponsibility.....but that's not something I can help him with. He has to mature for that i suppose. Please give me an update on things!!!!! Love seeing you here!!

Old 04-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #119
    has2bebetter
    (male)

has2bebetter HB User

I have had great luck and so has my wife with chantix 1 month and 2 weeks no smoke free.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:48 PM   #120
    isitme
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

isitme HB Userisitme HB User

Is this drug available in the UK under a different name? The doctor had never heard of it!

Closed Thread