It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Has anyone here ever developed an INTOLERANCE to alcohol over time?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2006, 05:43 PM   #1
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User
    Question Has anyone here ever developed an INTOLERANCE to alcohol over time?

Hi

Just a simple, straightforward question. I'm not asking any here to diagnose me, I'm not in denial and I'm not looking for pity. I just need to know if anyone here has ever developed an INTOLERANCE to alcohol over time so that when you were younger you were more able to tolerate it but as you got older (and the more/longer you drank year after year), the worse your hangovers/symptoms became and the longer it took you to recover from a hangover.

The answer to this question is KEY to my understanding of something.

- Regards and a big thank you, LT

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User
    Re: Has anyone here ever developed an INTOLERANCE to alcohol over time?

When I was younger in my early 20's I could go to the bar drink til close and then hit an after hrs party get up at 7am go to work come home and do it all over again. Yes a little sleepy but still ok. Now I am 31 if I go out and just have a few drinks or get a little buzzed I am completly shot the next day. Headache, sick to my stomach, just plain sick. Then I dont like that feeling so I dont drink again for a VERY long time even then I think about the next day and dont drink that much to me its not worth it. I enjoy waking up without the headache and actually getting something done vs. laying in bed or on the couch just hungover. So I guess my tolerance for alcohol has changed over the years. I guess its age. The difference is I dont pick up the next day and drink or for months. I dont really go out often and rarley ever drink at home in fact I think the beer in my fridge is expired!!! So theres the difference between us. Kim

Old 10-03-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
    Marirose
    Veteran
    (female)

Marirose HB User

Hey Lt - Can't speak from personal experience, but it certainly seemed to happen to my brother as he aged. When we were teenagers - he drank ALOT (12 beers/night) and got up the next morning at 5 am and worked the farm all day with our daddy. Last I saw him, over the summer, him being in his early 40s now, three drinks was knocking him sideways. Hope this helps.

No diaganosis, no pity, no questions about denial, but I hope you read my reply to your earlier post about hangovers. Sincerely, Marirose

Old 10-03-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

Another thing that could cause this is as being an alcoholic you always have alcohol running through your system so its never out of it. So as you see it your only have a few beers but its just adding to the alcohol that is already in your system so you get drunk faster. There is another way to explain this but not sure how. I guess is that your never completly sober so there is always alcohol there just adding to it. So it may seem like your drinking less but your not cause your system cant rid itself of the alcohol already in it. I have seen an alcoholic get drunk on 2 beers. Of course thats after the case the night before and the 6 pack for breakfast in the morning and the 2 beers for dinner seems to get him pretty buzzed. can someone explain this better? There are actual studies on this I just cant dig out my book right now. Kim

Old 10-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User

Excellent replies. I used to be the same way. Drink a whole case of suds, fall asleep and wake up the next morning with enough energy to paint an entire skyscraper or something. I think it does have a lot to do with age and also the "wearing down" affect that years of drinking has on the body. Like a lot of people have said here, evenutally your body just let's you know that it has had enough. Thank's again!

- Regards, LT

Old 10-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User

I just got a chuckle on a different board me and someone else posted almost the same thing. Once a cucumber is a pickle it can never be a cucumber again that was a cute one. Wondering if you noticed that. Kim

Old 10-03-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
    LonelyTraveler

LonelyTraveler HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim4074
    I just got a chuckle on a different board me and someone else posted almost the same thing. Once a cucumber is a pickle it can never be a cucumber again that was a cute one. Wondering if you noticed that. Kim

Old 10-04-2006, 02:27 AM   #8
    Thiswasyourlife
    Inactive
    (female)

Thiswasyourlife HB User
    Red face Re: Has anyone here ever developed an INTOLERANCE to alcohol over time?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LonelyTraveler
    Hi

Just a simple, straightforward question. I'm not asking any here to diagnose me, I'm not in denial and I'm not looking for pity. I just need to know if anyone here has ever developed an INTOLERANCE to alcohol over time so that when you were younger you were more able to tolerate it but as you got older (and the more/longer you drank year after year), the worse your hangovers/symptoms became and the longer it took you to recover from a hangover.

The answer to this question is KEY to my understanding of something.

- Regards and a big thank you, LT
    The answer is very simple and simply a fact. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. All alcoholics will experience an intolerance to drinking. You may find that it will take less and less alcohol to get drunk and the hangover will become increasingly worse. This is not Marilyn's theory, its a fact, cut and dry. Google for more info.

Your Friend,
    Marilyn

Old 10-04-2006, 10:45 AM   #9
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Why do you continue to drink 9-10 icy cold beers and than ask people if they feel like crap the next day to. I think maybe you really like to talk about your drinking and share how bad you feel the next day with others but NEVER really take there advice or respond much.. maybe you are seeking sympathy or trying to relate with others that drinking is okay??? or maybe your trying to seek out attention???. You ask the same questions over and over and than wonder why your all panicky, riddled with anxiety, and feeling REALLY sick the next day.. I think you know exactly why you feel sick the next day, your just looking to share with others how bad they feel after a bender to? I am just not sure what your motives are here... Just because you worked hard outside and got all hot and sweaty doesn't mean you deserve to drink a case of beer in a night, its not logical thinking. Can't you treat yourself to a nice cold glass of ice tea and a good meal? That is no excuse to drink that many beers.
    I am really not sure what these post are about. I have no more advice or idea's for you so I really shouldn't have even posted to you since I can't be helpful anymore. I have heard you say you are done with drinking at least 10 times in the past, so I REALLY do hope this is the last time for you.

SS

Last edited by slipperyslope; 10-04-2006 at 10:48 AM.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:33 AM   #10
    laughingman
    (male)

laughingman HB User

don't forget that drinking makes your body compete with whatever else you ingest. this can eventually lead to some bad vitamin deficiencies which could explain why you are becoming more intolerant to alcohol. it would be wise to take a break, take vitamins, and eat healthy for a while. if that doesn't work than get back on the wagon and find something else to do.

agentbad

Old 10-10-2006, 12:33 AM   #11
    laughingman
    (male)

laughingman HB User

don't forget that drinking makes your body compete with whatever else you ingest. this can eventually lead to some bad vitamin deficiencies which could explain why you are becoming more intolerant to alcohol. it would be wise to take a break, take vitamins, and eat healthy for a while. if that doesn't work than get back on the wagon and find something else to do.

laughingman

Closed Thread