It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Klonopin to withdraw from long time Valium use???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-29-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
    Barrel Bottom

Barrel Bottom HB User
    Klonopin to withdraw from long time Valium use???

Don't know if this link will work but here is my original post regarding valium withdrawal...

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=424709&highlight=valium+withdrawal[/url]

Finally got in to see a psych. and after discussing, Paxil, Lexapro, etc. WE decided on Lexapro for depression and he prescribed Klonopin to replace the Valium. I thought he was going to help me taper [when I tried myself, I couldn't do it]. He said immediately stop the valium and take the Klonopin instead. I took one half of a .5 mg tablet this am and that was after waking up in what I would describe as being in a fog from my initial 5 mg dose of Lexapro last night.

I'm exhausted, and totally confused. Right now, I'd like to throw both of these meds out, try to taper the Valium myself again and just deal with the depression.

His diagnosis of me was core? depression and ADHD. Was tremendously ****** at me for going out on my own to buy Valium two years ago and said that HAS to be contributing to my now current even deeper state of depression.

I used to be one of those, "I'm never going on meds" type of guys, but the constant sadness was killing me.

Sorry for rambling.

I know I should stay on the Lexapro to give it a fair shake [recent talk therapy isn't cutting it]. I guess what I'm really posting this for is this:

Does it make any sense to replace Valium with Klonopin and then taper? Everything that I read says that the valium is the benzo of choice [if there is such a thing] for people to use when withdrawing from other addictions.

I'm so tired of searching the net...any input greatly appreciated.

BB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-29-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
    kim4074
    Inactive
    (female)

kim4074 HB User
    Re: Klonopin to withdraw from long time Valium use???

I have never personally heard of this, but I'm not a Dr either. Try looking up Dr Heather Ashton or the Ashton Manual. She is an expert in benzo and benzo tapers so might be something there for valium. I'm sure someone will be along with better advice. Kim

Old 11-29-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
    zosolizard
    Veteran
    (female)

zosolizard HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Barrel Bottom
    Don't know if this link will work but here is my original post regarding valium withdrawal...

[url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=424709&highlight=valium+withdrawal[/url]

Finally got in to see a psych. and after discussing, Paxil, Lexapro, etc. WE decided on Lexapro for depression and he prescribed Klonopin to replace the Valium. I thought he was going to help me taper [when I tried myself, I couldn't do it]. He said immediately stop the valium and take the Klonopin instead. I took one half of a .5 mg tablet this am and that was after waking up in what I would describe as being in a fog from my initial 5 mg dose of Lexapro last night.

I'm exhausted, and totally confused. Right now, I'd like to throw both of these meds out, try to taper the Valium myself again and just deal with the depression.

His diagnosis of me was core? depression and ADHD. Was tremendously ****** at me for going out on my own to buy Valium two years ago and said that HAS to be contributing to my now current even deeper state of depression.

I used to be one of those, "I'm never going on meds" type of guys, but the constant sadness was killing me.

Sorry for rambling.

I know I should stay on the Lexapro to give it a fair shake [recent talk therapy isn't cutting it]. I guess what I'm really posting this for is this:

Does it make any sense to replace Valium with Klonopin and then taper? Everything that I read says that the valium is the benzo of choice [if there is such a thing] for people to use when withdrawing from other addictions.

I'm so tired of searching the net...any input greatly appreciated.

BB
    Hi BB,
    You & I have a few things in common, as far as how you are feeling, the "no drugs for me" thoughts, etc. I, too, am ready to give in & possibly try an SSRI. But I'm going to wait & see how I feel once I'm clean off the Xanax. Maybe I'll be in a better mood after I'm off.

(I did actually try Lexapro last year for about 3 days...... didn't care for how I felt. My head just ached and I couldn't focus. I hear that it goes away, but at the time, I wasn't willing to wait & see.)

Anyway, based on what I've read, Valium has a longer half-life & it is often used to help people get off of Xanax & other short-life benzos. I don't know much about Klonopin, but I had thought it was one of the shorter-life benzos... def. check out that website that Kim mentioned, it's got TONS of info.

I'm currently tapering off Xanax, and its no picnic. Ugh.

Keep us posted, let us know what you decide to do & how things work!

Old 11-30-2006, 10:38 AM   #4
    lorriem
    Veteran
    (female)

lorriem HB User

changed my mind

Last edited by lorriem; 11-30-2006 at 10:58 AM.

Old 12-01-2006, 08:41 AM   #5
    Barrel Bottom

Barrel Bottom HB User

Thanks for the replies. Well, after my third evening dose, I just called my psych. and left message for him to call me because I dont want to be on the Lexapro. Hands are trembling, can't concentrate, headache went away but I just don't want to go through this even if it is to "get better". I'd rather try counseling. Still not sure about the switch to Klonopin from valium, but I think, regardless of diagnosis, that my goal should be to get off meds and learn to cope with the depression. Also, right now, I'm more depressed than before I started the Lexapro.

Thanks for listening,

BB

Closed Thread