It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• What I've learned. re: Vic addiction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #1
    donewithvics
    (female)

donewithvics HB User
    What I've learned. re: Vic addiction

Just an update: For those that remember, I quit taking vics cold turkey at the end of November. It was hard for many reasons...physically, but more so mentally. In the end, my blood pressure was sky high and my dr wanted to put me on BP meds, but I wanted to wait and see what if any correlation there was between vics and BP. Well, after being vic free for 2 weeks, I began taking my bp 4 times a day and low and behold, every day, my bp got better and better. It was up to 188/110 at one time and now, it's consistently in the 120s/70s. I'm now also quitting smoking by using a drug called chantix...it's the miracle drug of drugs...for real. I smoked 1.5 packs a day for 20 plus years and I've had no problem...no anxiety...no nothing. When I smoke one, it's nothing...I'm so happy. My hubby still smokes so every now and a gain, I'll pick one up and smoke about half and just put it out. No pleasure...no digust either...it's just no longer important. Other interesting things I've learned about vics...they are EVIL. LOL. After I went thru the wds and was happy again...living life like a "normal" person again, why on earth would I consider popping another vic? I did it over Christmas...there was an RX of my Fathers sitting there....I took one and LOVED it. I was hoping I would hate it...no, I didn't hate it. The good news and lesson learned is that I certainly didn't jump back into...it was just one and I was able to resist the rest of them. Point is, I won't ever stop liking them and I just need to live my life without them around me because I know, without a doubt I'd take them. Does that mean I'm a recovering addict? Is there a point that means you've "conquered" it? I guess, for me, I just have to know and place rules on my life...no vics RXd to me for any reason ever again. Is that reasonable or am I just avoiding something else? Thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
    bkim
    Inactive
    (male)

bkim HB User
    Re: What I've learned. re: Vic addiction

Hey Aug, Nice to see your post this morning. Well, I think you conquer this thing every day. Itís just like any other habit-very difficult to break. Not sure if you were trying to relate the use of cigs and vics. Well, you really can't. In my treatment program, I can remember some jacka** said to one of the counselors-"I just want to do drugs like normal people". Well, she said "Normal people donít do drugs". Thought it was funny and for some reason thought it related to your post. Currently, I classify my situation as an "addiction to opiates". At some point, after taking them as prescribed, it really got out of control. When you think about it, if a dr. was going to prescribe cocaine to someone for a year, of course they would become addicted to it. The w/dís are what scared the hell out of me and I kept taking the meds to keep myself from going into w/d. I just wish I would have looked into treatment options earlier. I always assumed that I would have to go into a treatment center for months. That was not the case. I have an appt scheduled for next Tuesday to give the Chantix a go. I use the smokeless tobacco and hope it works just as well.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
    mollie68
    (female)

mollie68 HB User
    Re: What I've learned. re: Vic addiction

hi there,
    i am new to the board.
    just read your post. i am a recovering addict of 9 yrs. for me the key has been keeping myself accountable and honest. i got honest with my doctor (he was more than willing to help me)to my surprise. i had went to my pharmacy and let them know and had them put into their computer that i am not to have any narcotics or any mind altering drugs. i attend na/aa. i see a therapist. my family is involved in my recovery because we have learned that this is a family disease. i have changed my life style...people,places and things. i also have learned that i am always 1 pill away from a high.1 is too many and 100 is never enough! it has been a ruff road,it has not been easy. this is life and death(for me). if i pick up that first pill then i know i will be back on my way back into the addiction cycle. the bottom line for me was...is i had enough. i have done something about it. i was tired of being sick and tired and i got tired of dancing with the devil. it was efffecting my body,mind and spirit. (imo) if one wants recovery real bad and you are willing to do the work recovery is there. but you have to do the work no one can do it for you. sometimes (imo) a spouse may want his wife/husband to stay sick...if we get get better we may just leave. this is a examlpe to what had happened to my sister. (in a matter of speaking). the work is hard but life does get better.there is good things that come out of recovery...this i do know. i have had my bad days,in 2024 i lost my dear dad at the age of 68. 2005 i lost my dear mother at the age of 69 and 3 months after my mom passed my sister and her husband was killed by a drunk driver and the driver was also on pills(my sister was 48).the driver a 30 yr old girl with a prior history ,convicted felon only got 6 yrs. in prison. then this christmas i lost my father-in-law. did i use over these tragic things,no. i have learned in recovery to handle it differently.with all this today i know what it is like to see the sky blue a bird to sing,to see the sun come up, to walk in the rain and enjoy it. to build a snowman with my child. i have learned tools to help me each day. recovery is there. its just a matter how bad you want and i wanted really bad. i also have chronic pain. i do use non-narcotic medicine (anti-infalmmatory) and have physical therapy. i exercise,walk etc... and it does work,at least for me. i do not take ultram as it is addicting for me as well. i was also i treatment with a gal that was hooked extremley bad on ultram.
    hope all goes well for you. hang in there and i hope that something i have shared will help you.
    take care

Last edited by mollie68; 01-11-2007 at 10:48 PM.

Closed Thread