It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• 16 days off opiates, 17 days off Alcohol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2007, 05:09 AM   #1
    Proward
    (male)

Proward HB User
    16 days off opiates, 17 days off Alcohol

Just a quick update to my online friends. This is the longest I have gone without either in the past 4 years.

I feel like a new person, really. That cliche about being High on life is really a true statement.

If I can do it, anyone can do it. I have tried to stop and relapsed so many times in the past, I don't even have a number for it.

At some point, to all those who are struggling, there comes a time when it is just time to reclaim your life. It is hard for a very short time but it is attainable. I found a drug combination that took away most of the bad DTs of opiate withdrawl. 3 drugs combined that let me sleep every night and helped me to not have restless arms or legs (which have been unbearable to me in the past when going without for to long). Valium, Quinine and liquid immodium AD. Valium for sleep and to help you stay calm and relax a bit, Quinine for restless arms and legs and Immodium AD (Loperamide) to ease opiate DT symptoms. But, don't take my word for it, talk to you doctor. What worked for me might not work for you.

Anyway, day 16 and I am doing well. I'm never going back to that daily struggle.

Now, I've got to fix the messes I have made when I was that other guy.

Peace --

P

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
    SanyBelle
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB UserSanyBelle HB User
    Re: 16 days off opiates, 17 days off Alcohol

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Proward View Post
    Anyway, day 16 and I am doing well. I'm never going back to that daily struggle.
    Congratulations Proward! Take it one day at a time and that will be enough! Good luck!

Old 01-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello

"Proward going Forward." Think that ought to be your mantra. Chuckles. You are doing GREAT and have a good attitude. Congratulations on your progress in life. I am so very happy for you.

It is such good news to see your hard work paying off. I know it will continue to be a struggle at times, but you stay the course. Look at how far you have come!

Congratulations and God Bless

reach

Old 01-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #4
    amithyst
    (female)

amithyst HB User

Proward, Why do you want to erase those messages that the other guy made? Are you referrring to your addictive side? I wouldnt (IMO) change that. Let it be a reminder of how things WERE and see it for the difference in you NOW.
    All my love to you, Bro!

I dont want to say how many days I am clean, but it is progress and I doubled the time that I quit the 1st time. I am proud of myself and I continue to fight this daily, every minute of every hour of every day.

We are uniting to form a very strong unit on here,ya know? We are people from all walks of life who have joined together for all the right reasons and I just know that as others have helped me overcome my daily fears/struggles, Proward, our quitting is going to show the new people who join just how it can be done also.
    This place is a chain that is not going to be broken.

I am proud of you, keep it up!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
    Proward
    (male)

Proward HB User

Amithyst --

Thanks for the post. I said I wanted to fix the messes that that 'other me' caused when I was using. I don't want to erase any messages.

I hear what you are saying about the chain. Maybe, my story will help someone get through these trying times. All it takes is one decision by one person to change the world. Everything that any of us does at any time, every decision we make and everytime we take action, or don't, it matters.

Getting better can be done. I am living proof. There have been times when I have wanted to literally die, RLS and RAS literally driving me crazy while on the backside of running out. A grown man, crying, tears streaming. That life is no life and at some point, it will just be time to take action. After a few days, it'll all be worth it. Believe me.

P

Old 01-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #6
    amithyst
    (female)

amithyst HB User

way to go Proward!

Old 01-18-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
    Dantheinsane
    Veteran
    (male)

Dantheinsane HB User

Are you going to a meeting today? How about tonight, and tomorrow morning?

Old 01-18-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
    colie
    (female)

colie HB User

P -
    I'm trying to help my boyfriend as best that I can. Are you also going to meetings and talking with doctors? Do you still hang out with anybody you have used with? These are some questions my boyfriend has asked me and I don't know and don't want to mis guide him. I can't relate to what he is going through. Thanks - Nicole

Old 01-18-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
    mollie68
    (female)

mollie68 HB User

congrats and keep up the hard work. good going

Old 01-19-2007, 07:13 AM   #10
    Boris58
    (male)

Boris58 HB User

Congrats Proward, Be careful with the "never" word. Forge forward my brother. Hit the rooms and ask questions of old-timers

-peace
    Boris

Old 01-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #11
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

Congrats Proward,
    I'm one behind the eight ball, on day 18 for both opiates and alcohol. Now in my third week, I am keeping myself busy, they say 'it takes 28 days to make or break a new habit' It feels great to be alive and yes I understand what you mean about 'the other guy' (the addict) who helped run with havock with all the unmanagebility in my life. The steps are there to guide us through the mess we made, how to restore ourselves and trust and live again. It was difficult for my ego to get me to meetings but now I am going on more of a regular basis. The coming back part, kept me away, but now that I have said it, I keep going. This time I want to stay inside the circle, I don't want to wander off or dwindle away again. So yes, we are doing great, even if we have bad days, it's ok. Procrastination and complacency are the things that will get us to use or drink again. So be careful.

t/c
    kadee

Old 01-19-2007, 02:48 PM   #12
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

To Colie on this thread,
    A suggestion many of us make, we stop associating with using/drinking friends, stay out of bars or parties at the beginning and throw out all things that have anything to do with the drink or the drug.

Closed Thread