It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Home detox from Methadone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-01-2007, 10:23 AM   #1
    Calle
    (male)

Calle HB User
    Home detox from Methadone

Hi, I am seeking help to perform detox from Methadone right now. My dosage is 18mg per day now, having tapered down from 180mg 2 years ago. I am now reducing at 2mg per month which I feel is too slow, and want to get rid of it all urgently. I feel ready to undergo `cold turkey` now it is down to 18mg. I am medically trained Male Nurse but seek knowledge from those who understand at first hand the detox details. All help and advice is appreciated. Thanks. Calle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
    Re: Home detox from Methadone

Hi Calle

Welcome.

I have been on a taper from oxycodone since early October, 2006. I have gone from 9-11 tabs a day to just under 3/4 of a tab a day. Nearing the finish line.

I so understand your feeling of anxiety and urgency to finish and get it over with. I felt that when I got down to 2 or so pills a day. I pondered it and finally decided to stick with my original plan and do a slow taper. I am happy with my decision. With a taper, your body and brain heal as you go along. I have gotten stronger and better as I progress in the taper.

My understanding about Methadone, although I have no personal experience with it, is that it is harder to come off than other opiates. My first step down was big and I went into full withdrawal. Horrid, just horrid. I finally stabilized after a few weeks, but when I tell you it was bad, I mean it it so strongly.

You have done a wonderful job coming down by taper. Such a long way to have come! I guess I would ask you to sit down and ponder what the race is about now? I know we all want to be free of dependence and addiction. However, it seems to me that you are planning such a big step down (I assume 18 mg is still a sunstantial dose), that you are going to suffer a pretty cold turkey withdrawal.

As the lower our doses go, the higher the percentage of the actual drop. Personally, I think if you have put this much time into tapering, and you have progressed steadily, you should stay that course.

Do you feel better than when you first started the taper? Is there a special reason why you want to jump right now?

People certainly do jump at different points, some go totally cold turkey. It has to be a personal decision for each of us. Just would suggest you put a lot of thought into it first. A Veteran poster here, Phil, has always advised that once you lower a dose, never go back up. That has helped me tremendously in strictly keeping to my taper. I don't lower a dose until I feel confident I can handle the decrease. After the first big step down, I decreased by 1 tab at a time. Then it came to a point where I decreased by 1/2 a tab at a time. Then by a 1/4 tab. Now I am at 1/8 tab cuts. I kinda have to scrap up the crumbs sometimes. But that is okay because I am making steady progress.

This is my story. Yours certainly does not have to be the same. I think it would be good to read some threads on this site and get a really good feel for the whole process. Then you can make your most considered, thoughtful decision.

best wishes
    reach

Old 02-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
    bkim
    Inactive
    (male)

bkim HB User

Hey there. My sister works as a nurse in a methadone clinic. I will ask her about this when I talk to her some time today. Are you going through a methadone clinic also? Hold tight.

Last edited by bkim; 02-01-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #4
    bkim
    Inactive
    (male)

bkim HB User

Ok, Talked to my sister. She is the head nurse at a methadone clinic here in Columbus, so I think I have some good info for you. She strongly encourages not to go the c/t route. She mentioned candidates who are under 30mg are good candidates for suboxone/subutex. That may be an option for you. I also told her about your taper. She said it might be a good idea to even switch down to 1mg per month. Of course, this is all on you. Iím just passing on the info and hope you are successful.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:16 AM   #5
    Calle
    (male)

Calle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by buckeyetim View Post
    Ok, Talked to my sister. She is the head nurse at a methadone clinic here in Columbus, so I think I have some good info for you. She strongly encourages not to go the c/t route. She mentioned candidates who are under 30mg are good candidates for suboxone/subutex. That may be an option for you. I also told her about your taper. She said it might be a good idea to even switch down to 1mg per month. Of course, this is all on you. Iím just passing on the info and hope you are successful.

Hi Buckeyetim, I really do appreciate your comments also those of your sister who is `in the business` of detoxing others. I am heartened by your thoughts for me, also those of your sister. Will keep you posted of events.
    Thanks very much. Calle.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:21 AM   #6
    Calle
    (male)

Calle HB User

Hi Reachout, I really do appreciate your comments, I am heartened by your thoughts for me. I wish you success with your endeavours and will keep you posted of events at this end which commence next week.
    Thanks very much. Calle.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #7
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hey Calle

I'll be watching for your posts. You have done so well and been so strong. My prayers will be for continued strength and determination for you. It is a tough road, Calle, but in no way an impossible one.

When the going gets tough, you reach out here and know that we will all be waiting to hold you up. Deal? Deal!

Later, Alligator
    reach

Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #8
    Calle
    (male)

Calle HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by reachout View Post
    Hi Calle

Welcome.

I have been on a taper from oxycodone since early October, 2006. I have gone from 9-11 tabs a day to just under 3/4 of a tab a day. Nearing the finish line.

I so understand your feeling of anxiety and urgency to finish and get it over with. I felt that when I got down to 2 or so pills a day. I pondered it and finally decided to stick with my original plan and do a slow taper. I am happy with my decision. With a taper, your body and brain heal as you go along. I have gotten stronger and better as I progress in the taper.

My understanding about Methadone, although I have no personal experience with it, is that it is harder to come off than other opiates. My first step down was big and I went into full withdrawal. Horrid, just horrid. I finally stabilized after a few weeks, but when I tell you it was bad, I mean it it so strongly.

You have done a wonderful job coming down by taper. Such a long way to have come! I guess I would ask you to sit down and ponder what the race is about now? I know we all want to be free of dependence and addiction. However, it seems to me that you are planning such a big step down (I assume 18 mg is still a sunstantial dose), that you are going to suffer a pretty cold turkey withdrawal.

As the lower our doses go, the higher the percentage of the actual drop. Personally, I think if you have put this much time into tapering, and you have progressed steadily, you should stay that course.

Do you feel better than when you first started the taper? Is there a special reason why you want to jump right now?

People certainly do jump at different points, some go totally cold turkey. It has to be a personal decision for each of us. Just would suggest you put a lot of thought into it first. A Veteran poster here, Phil, has always advised that once you lower a dose, never go back up. That has helped me tremendously in strictly keeping to my taper. I don't lower a dose until I feel confident I can handle the decrease. After the first big step down, I decreased by 1 tab at a time. Then it came to a point where I decreased by 1/2 a tab at a time. Then by a 1/4 tab. Now I am at 1/8 tab cuts. I kinda have to scrap up the crumbs sometimes. But that is okay because I am making steady progress.

This is my story. Yours certainly does not have to be the same. I think it would be good to read some threads on this site and get a really good feel for the whole process. Then you can make your most considered, thoughtful decision.

best wishes
    reach
    Hi Reachout, Thanks for your info and help. It does appear that my reply to you did not get printed, so here I try again.
    I accept your comments and support but as you say `it is my decision`, so I have today decided.........I will go ahead with detox within my family group who are all standing by willing me to get shot of "M" for good. I have my parents and my two younger brothers standing by me day and night so my hopes are high. Wish me luck and I will let you know the results and details.
    May I wish you all the success in the world with your endeavours.
    BCNU. Calle.

Old 02-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Calle

Here's to success! I am glad you have a supportive family situation ready there for you. I don't know what I would have done without the support of my family. They have great listeners and encouragers, especially in the beginning when I needed to talk so much about what I was going through.

I am really pulling for you, Calle. Come back often and post. Ask questions if you have any. Post your thoughts and your progress. The Board is just one support, but as you go on your journey, take whatever support you find helpful.

You are a brave and determined person. That will surely serve you well.

All hope and support your way

reach

Old 02-18-2007, 01:54 AM   #10
    Calle
    (male)

Calle HB User

Hi Reachout, Thanks for your support it really has helped me. The situation is that I am today on my 7th day of detox and coping with the shakes,anxiety, perspiring and hot/cold flushes. Sleep is intermittent, in 2 hour periods waking and drinking tea then try to sleep again, but it is all within my capability. My family keeps close watch 24/7 and take me out in the day to occupy my mind.
    Prior to commencing detox I fortified myself for 9 months or so with multiple vitamins twice per day to build up my bodily reserves which I know has had a massive effect on what I expected to suffer. I continue to take the vitamins.
    Today I yawned and stretched my body like I have not done for over two years, with a feeling of wellness.....but this may be a one off so I am cautious. Medication is minimal, I disposed of 20 doses of "M" provided by my Medic to help detox, by pouring them down the drain sying "that is the last time I will ever handle that foul substance", which supported my resolve in kicking it into touch. I take 5mg Vallium as required usually 1 or 2 each time I need it, also Zolpidem 10mg sleeping tablets 2 each night but they have little effect on me. As I write this letter to you I feel good about myself having come this far, but I know I have further to go so will avoid becoming over confident which could then harm my mental reasoning.
    As you are aware I am a Registered Mental Health Nurse experienced in detox matters.
    I wish you well with your programme and will post another update next week.
    My Best Wishes to you and to all out there coping with these problems.
    Calle.

Last edited by Calle; 02-18-2007 at 04:49 AM. Reason: My Typist got the figures wrong, silly girl.

Old 02-18-2007, 06:34 AM   #11
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Calle

What a heartening post! I am sorry for the physical agony right now, but it will begin to abate. Boy, I so understand how good an actual yawn can feel. I remember in the beginning having half yawns and realizing how long it had been since I had yawned at all. Now they have progressed to regular old yawns and everytime it happens, I am reminded that I have progressed. Funny how those little, normal disappeared and now return to make us happy.

Blessings are certainly in place for you with your wonderful family standing by in support. Getting out with them is such a big help. Things certainly seem in place for success here!

Be well, Calle. Stay strong in your resolve. Thank you for sharing your story. It will be an inspiration to others who struggle.

Looking forward to your next posting with so much hope for you.
    Stay strong
    reach

Old 02-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #12
    Calle
    (male)

Calle HB User

Hi Reachout, I am reporting on the 14th day of getting shot of Methadone.
    The headaches and sweating have ended, the urge to find more "M" has ceased completely, my stomach aches are lessening likewise the shakes and tremors gone. The major problem is lack of sleep since for the first 10 days I slept very little about 28 hours total but the last two nights I have slept 5 hours then 7 hours respectively, I also snooze in the daytime. My Father is my guide 24/7 and he is very pleased with the progress.
    We together anticipate a further 2 weeks before saying "all is done".
    I feel fine over the last two days,. eating well, I know that my Detox is on the way to completion. I claim the large dosage of Vitamins I prescribed for myself over the past 9 months has helped ease this detox.
    Good news so far........Yippee.
    Hows it go with your situation ? I trust your are on track and winning, so here is my wish for you to complete successfully very soon.
    I also wish all fellow sufferers the best of strength and good luck.
    BCNU
    Calle.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:40 PM   #13
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Calle!

Wowsers! Super wowsers! You have so totally made my day. What a courageous battle you have fought and won. I really just don't have the words to tell you how very, very happy I am for you. Thrilled? Thankful? Oh, I just can't find the exact one I want. Maybe because it would just take so many in total to find a way to express it all.

You are such an incredible inspiration.

I am doing well. My last cut was this past Monday to 1/8 a tab. Next week I will be done.

Here's to LIFE, Calle, LIFE!!!
    reach

Old 02-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #14
    Calle
    (male)

Calle HB User

Hi Reach, Heres to a very positive final cut next week and the end to the entire saga that you have gone through so well. You have fought hard and long to achieve.....and that is so close to finality....KEEP GOING STRONG UNTIL IT IS ALL OVER....then write me again. I thank you for your continued support to my endeavours...you are a friend indeed.
    You applauded my success for which I thankyou. I want to applaud you at the end of your endeavours so NEVER GIVE IN. BCNU. Calle.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:04 AM   #15
    Calle
    (male)

Calle HB User

Hi Reachout and others suffering, This is my final message to you all.
    I am now off H and M for good. It wasnt easy but it was far easier than I had imagined and it took exactly four weeks to accomplish. Th worst this is the lack of sleep which causes great anger and agitation, but that must be suffered to get thro` this barrier.
    Reachout...I wish you well and hope you win and have a successful life.
    My Final remark is DO NOT EVER GIVE IN AND YOU WILL DEFINITELY WIN.
    Adios and goodbye my friends. Calle.

Closed Thread