It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Weening Off Percocet Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #46
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User
    Re: Weening Off Percocet Question

Thanks for posting Shawley. I feel so much better knowing that you are on meds again to help with the withdrawal. Just remember slow and steady.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2007, 05:08 AM   #47
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Thanks Pepper , yes slow and steady , Thanks for carring about me , makes me feel better. I have the calcary on the way , my Dr.'s office is hooking me up with everything , spinalcord stimulator / meds so the weeny starts...lol

Old 02-13-2007, 06:53 AM   #48
    clover60
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

clover60 HB User

Shawley
    You are not alone. I hate having to take meds to function. Before I moved and had my back problems and was dealing with the leg issue (foot drop) and not knowing what was going on my hip starting hurting. My Dr prescribed 5 mg vicoden he gave me a bunch in a month and told me not to take more than 8 in a day. This was not helping my hip pain at all. I also had amyitriplene and a nsid I took. I called once to tell him that this was not working for my pain and immediately he thought I overdosed. He treated me very badly and I felt like a naughty kid. I then had a gall bladder attack and he just knew it was my liver because of the overdose of tylenol. Soon they found it was not and they did blood work and found that I did not overdose.

I know have a different Dr whom found my problems and has prescribed loratabs stronger than the viocden was and it really does help I am not painfree but do not find myself wanting to take them before I should. This is because the meds are stronger and helps with the pain.

I would investigate the pain level and if the perocets are really working for you. Maybe your Dr. could change your meds and you might get some relief.
    Being in Chronic pain is hard and yes I believe your body does become dependent on the meds and yes I also believe we can get rebound pain but sometimes we need something different to interupt the pain cycle.

Try just talking to your Dr and being honest about your pain. Keep a pain diary for 48 hours writing down your physical activity and your level of pain you will be surprised what this may show.

Good luck and remember you have a friend here whom knows what you are feeling. Sometimes if an anxiety med is added you will find relief.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:33 AM   #49
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

How are your symptoms today?

Old 02-13-2007, 07:56 AM   #50
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Pepper my symptoms are alot better now that I have HYDROCODONE to help me . Remember I'm going to ween off , well they sent me a bottle of 40 ,to take every 8 hours , heck I was taking 15mg oxycodone 6 times a day and to only have 1- every 8 is hard also ,but better than none. I just thought they would ween me off slower..Not as hard and fast. They did say somthing about some kind of oxysomthing ? That will halp me there sending. But what I have now is the strongest they can call in , the rest needs a perscription , Im a whole lot better today thank you.
    How are you today ? Becareful you don't fall into my shoes.
    Glad to see you today
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post
    How are your symptoms today?

Old 02-13-2007, 08:04 AM   #51
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Clover , that's the thing , now that I'm weening off what am I going to do about the pain? I did NOT want to go with the stimulator really , I heard so many horror stories about it, but there is nothing left for me but stim or meds , I probably wouldn't have this withdraw sickness if my Dr. would have listened to me , I told him I did not want the Morphine it made me sick ,and the Oxycodone wasn't working like they used to , but they didn't want me on any more I guess ,so I cheated a bit and took more than I should have. I blame only myself. But to live in this amount of pain is unbarable without somthing.
    Thanks for you post ,it's nice to here from ole friends from another world,,I mean board . I was joking , Ha,Ha !

Old 02-13-2007, 08:07 AM   #52
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hey Shawley

Whoops! I just posted to you on my thread. Anyway, I wanted to wish you all the best.

Shawley, you are on your way. You need to sit down and figure out a schedule for yourself. While we both may have started off on a rough start with our tapers, it is still very doable. Because I am coming off short-acting oxycodone, I started with a set amount of tabs for the tab. I began pushing the first tab later and later, about 1/2 an hour a day, until it was near the second tab. Then I dropped it and only took the second tab. So what started as 1 tab at 8:30 AM and then 2 at noon, became 2 at noon as the start time for the day. This took two weeks to accomplish and was one of the hardest cuts. Finally, my body wasn't even looking for anything before noon.

You are going to have to find your own way through this. Always remember once you make a cut, you never go back up. Slow and steady. Do not let your enthusiasm or weariness along the way change your course.

We will talk more as you go along.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:31 AM   #53
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Reach , the dang Dr. sent me Hydrocodone7.5 and told me to take one every 8 hours ! I tried and now I'm cheating again ! I have to take 2 every 8 hours to get over this anxiety , plus I haven't even mentioned the PAIN I'm in right now. My pain level is a 12 on the 1-10 scale . It was like this way before I started my meds...I have my hand held stim on me cranked up with a hot water bottle on my back..I can't wait to get clean of these drugs but I am so scared of what lies ahead for my pain ..The addiction part or living in pain that I can't stand..Maybe the trial stim implant will help ? I'll pray it does.

Thanks for your help Reach , proud your doin so well.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #54
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Shawley, my Friend

The outrageous anxiety and the skyrocketing pain levels are just par for the course. And it will continue for a while. I don't want to be harsh with you at all. Just trying to help you understand that there is no easy way to come off and dealing with it is all a part of what we endure to accomplish our goal. we must steel ourselves to endure it. If we want our brain to restore itself and start producing its own painkilling chemicals, than we have to allow it.

Shawley, I know it is nearly unbearable at first. Truly, truly, I understand. I also can promise you that it will lessen as time goes by. It brings us to our knees no matter how strong and tough we are. If you were to read some of my earlier threads, you will see how much tougher it was in the beginning than it is now.

Okay, you cheated already and that is a done deal. Get past it. It is over. Now is the time to start doing all the things read about on the board to help distract yourself from what is happening. Ready just posted today on her thread about what happens in the brain. Go read it. When we understand what is happening, it can help us have the courage to endure it.

Shawley, put today's med dosage with you. Put the rest away and believe they don't exist. Know that if you take two at the next dose time, you will pay the consequences later by having none for the time after.

When it brings you to your knees, pray. When it brings you to your knees, remind yourself of why you must do this.

You are smart, you are determined and you will find amounts of inner strength that you never know you even had. You can do this, Shawley. And we will all be here to support you in the agonizing stages.

I do understand chronic pain. I also know that somewhere along the way, using opiates for such a long time stole my life. And I know that I can handle the pain better now because I want most of all to be a full participant in life.
    The agony of where you are right now IS going to pass. It will take time, but it surely passes.

Hang in there, keep posting.

In friendship
    reach

Old 02-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #55
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Reach I have not cheated ? The meds they sent are hydrocodone 7.5
    thats to hold me off till they send somthing else to EASE me off these pills.
    When I said I took two instead of 1 thats because them hydro's are like tylenol to me...2 of them don't even come close to what I was taken every 6 hours. I promise I am sticking with a plan to quit , please don't think I'm cheating ,I'm only doing what you are ?

Thanks for helping me..Do you understand ?

Old 02-13-2007, 09:26 AM   #56
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

[QUOTE=shawley;2797591]Reach , the dang Dr. sent me Hydrocodone7.5 and told me to take one every 8 hours ! I tried and now I'm cheating again ! I have to take 2 every 8 hours to get over this anxiety , plus I haven't even mentioned the PAIN I'm in right now. My pain level is a 12 on the 1-10 scale . It was like this way before I started my meds...I have my hand held stim on me cranked up with a hot water bottle on my back..I can't wait to get clean of these drugs but I am so scared of what lies ahead for my pain ..The addiction part or living in pain that I can't stand..Maybe the trial stim implant will help ? I'll pray it does.

Thanks for your help Reach , proud your doin so well.[/QUOTE

Shawley,
    read your post. Thats what Reach was referring to~xoxoxox,
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 02-13-2007, 09:31 AM   #57
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hiya Shawley

Yep, I do understand. I am not sure of all the details of your dosages and how they convert to a different med.

So, yes, I do surely understand. Shawley, you know I screw up here with my advice sometimes and have to be corrected. And it looks like I may have to be corrected here. Smiles. That is okay. It is good. How else can we be friends and help each other without honesty??

Be cautious not to let yourself run out of the meds before that script comes.

And please don't ever feel you owe me an explanation. I am here struggling as we all are. Not a guru, just a human being traveling the same road with you. Smiles.

I feel your determination with this. That is going to serve you well, my friend.

I am off to run some errands with hubby. Will check in with you later.

reach

Old 02-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #58
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Shawley,
    I am in tears....I have been so involved with my own discomfort that I didn't get to this post...

Pleasepleaseplease hang in there. I am praying for you. You are on the prayer chain at my church. God will keep you safe. You know that they say that a window doesn't close that another opens....keep your eye open for that window.

You know that we are suffering with you. It scares us all because we are also in pain and on those horrible little pills. We are scared for you and for us.

Keep strong my friend. When you think you can't go on remember that we are counting on you also. (OK so I have a major in guilt and a minor in nag...)

Please please keep going and let us hold your hands......even if it's only here...

Old 02-13-2007, 04:02 PM   #59
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawley View Post

Becareful you don't fall into my shoes.
    Glad to see you today
    To tell you the truth every time I reach for my percocet, I ask myself whether I can hold off or not. I defintely don't want to go through what you are going through. It is painful reading what you are going thru and not being able to be able to support you in person. I only have this computer to link us together and if you are off for awhile.....I wonder if you are okay. And yes, I am a worrier just ask Mr. Dr. Pepper.

Take care and I am glad you got something to help you thru until your meds arrive.

Last edited by ms_west; 02-13-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #60
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Hey guy's I'm sorry if I got a little snippy in one of my post , Reach I know your only here to help people and go through this yourself and I'm so proud to know you.

Please forgive me IZZY when I said I was cheating taken 2 pills' what I mean't there only half the dose that I usually take and until my other meds get here I have to take 2 instead of one. I ask my Dr. and they said it was fine. See I'm gonna go off these Meds slow like Reach did. I took alot of strong meds , I was nearly taken 135mg's of oxycodone ..Hope your not upset with me , I don't mean to be a bully or anything

Ibake , thanks for the prayers , I feel better now . I have to learn not to cut my meds short..I'm starting a program through my Dr. to get off these pill's plus I'm going for the stimulator for pain..Please don't be sad , I'm actually doing this to get better ??? I just hope I can control the pain down the road ,its a terrible choice between pain and Meds. I should of just let my wife give me my meds so I didn't take more on them bad days
    Thanks again for being my friend.

Pepper,
    I'm very glad to just have you here on the puter , I can always lean on you and you never complain , and your the one just out of surgery. Boy did we get snowed in today. I got on my ATV and plowed our lane and driveway , I didn't shovel , because I would be crying right now. I can't keep up with the snow . Good to here from you today.

Closed Thread