It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Weening Off Percocet Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2007, 10:36 AM   #61
    ibake&pray
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
    Re: Weening Off Percocet Question

Shawley,

Have been sooo worried about you. You snot! you can plow your drive but not my strret! some friend you are! HOnestly....

OK now listen, with what you are going through, you have to keep us posted. There are a lot of us Moms here that panic when we don't see you on line. I know you are struggling, but we are struggling with you and we only assume the worst when we don't see you here. So get your sorry little butt in the chair and at least let us know that you are still breathing.

But then, you could be working on those shawly shorts for all we know!

Have you told your wife yet?

Keep counting, breathing, and reaching out to all of us.......we care.

jill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #62
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Jill , Sorry.. I been doing ok, trying to keep up with this dang snow now the wind id blowing causing it to drift. I'm not suffering as bad today on these hydrocodones , my dosage is alot lower than what it was before I ran out. Thats good..Our lane is our street , we live down a lane it's about half a mile long out in the boonies , It's like living in the jungle..
    My pants are comming along ok , I just can't get em to a 34 size waist Maybe I'll just stuff paper towels to soak up the dribbles..lol

I promise tomorrow I will be on here all day

Thanks Jill for you all being here for me..

Old 02-14-2007, 11:18 AM   #63
    IZZY'SMOM
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hey Shawley,
    Glad you are feeling better~sorry I dont have any time to post today, maybe Ill be on later~
    Take care!
    xoxoxox,
    IZZY'SMOM

Old 02-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #64
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

Shawley -- that sounds like fun being on the ATV. Today it has been killing me cuz my children have been sledding down the hill in my neighbors yard and they look to be going at least 40 miles an hours on their sleds. SO COOL!! I guess my doc would frown on me sled riding. You think??

Old 02-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #65
    chebird
    (female)

chebird HB User

Hi Shawley, Sorry about the perc/morph problem, and especially the anxiety. You helped me a lot when I blew my back out last summer, so here's my 2 cents worth. Oxycodone (what's in percs) literally made me nuts - the anxiety made me nuts. I begged my doctor to put me on something else. She did. She put me on oxycontin, which is the same darn drug, only more of it and timed released. She said I would become addicted and that she would help me when the time came to get off. Correct on the first account, wrong on the second. I told her I didn't care if I had to spend a month in rehab, I was going nuts and still was in a lot of pain. After starting the oxy, I didn't feel quite as nuts, but was also taking a low dose of xanax for the pshychotic (sp?) anxiety. Thank God my surgery worked and I tapered off of the drugs. Went from the oxy back down to percs (60mg/day to 20mg of oxycodone/day) The anxiety skyrocketed and my stomach hasn't been the same since (It's been since October. I ended up in the hospital with atrial fibrilation from being so dehydrated for so long.) The last part of the tapering was so bad I just quit cold turkey after cutting the little buggers into fourths and ending up in constant withdrawals. I felt better on day one. So my point being, if you want off the percs, don't taper so low that you put yourself in constant withdrawals, but since your back is still a mess, you might try something different that won't give you the anxiety. I really don't what, though. My sister died from her persciption of methadone, so I wouldn't recommend that. And I really don't recommened oxycontin -it would just put off the hell.And please tell your wife. She sounds like a Godsend and trust me, she knows something is wrong.
    God bless you, my friend.

Last edited by chebird; 02-14-2007 at 05:55 PM.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:32 AM   #66
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Chebird ,
    Hey thanks , any time I can help someone I feel good. But you know we all help each other here and thats great. I really do want off these oxycodone , but I'm so worried about my pain level..Right now I'm taking a hand full of hydrocodone to kill the pain until my new time release oxy gets here. Atleast this hydro takes off the edge. I'm going to try the trial stimulator for my back , hopefully that will take care of the pain ,then I can drop these oxy's with no problems..Yes I'm quiting now SLOWLY , I'm not as brave as the other people quiting cold turkey.

I'm sure there is some other Meds out there that can help me with this pain. Thanks for replying , you all are like my cyber family

Old 02-15-2007, 04:37 AM   #67
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Pepper it is fun on my ATV as long as I don't ride like Evil Kenevil it doesn't bother me , but boy would I love to be able to sled ride again , that used to be so much fun. The last time I sled was with my oldest daughter ,we were going down this hill and there was a chunk of concrete with some kind of spike sticking out of it , well to protect my daughter I stuck my foot out to push away from it and it went through my boot and into my foot . YEAH your Dr. would Frown ..

How ya feeling ?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post
    Shawley -- that sounds like fun being on the ATV. Today it has been killing me cuz my children have been sledding down the hill in my neighbors yard and they look to be going at least 40 miles an hours on their sleds. SO COOL!! I guess my doc would frown on me sled riding. You think??

Old 02-15-2007, 06:10 AM   #68
    ms_west
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ms_west HB User

I am feeling so good especially after seeing your post. My sciatia pain is almost entirely gone.....a few pricklies but nothing compared to before. I am still waking up in the morning with aches and pains and feel much better after my percocet and 1/2 of soma get in me. I am only taking 4 percocets a day and 2 somas. Not bad for being 2 weeks out today. I probably would not have to take the percocets if it was not for the pressure off and on in my back.

I am so thankful that things are going well and thank the LORD each and every day.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:43 AM   #69
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 123dietdrpepper View Post
    I am feeling so good especially after seeing your post. My sciatia pain is almost entirely gone.....a few pricklies but nothing compared to before. I am still waking up in the morning with aches and pains and feel much better after my percocet and 1/2 of soma get in me. I am only taking 4 percocets a day and 2 somas. Not bad for being 2 weeks out today. I probably would not have to take the percocets if it was not for the pressure off and on in my back.

I am so thankful that things are going well and thank the LORD each and every day.
    Thats great Pepper, just becareful you dont fall into the trap I did. I'm sure your gonna feel better everyday.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #70
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Heya Shawley

Just stopping by to see how things are going. Hoping all is well.
    I am down to 1/4 tablet this week. Next to 1/8 and then off. It's getting closer. Smiles.

Drop a post and let me know how you are.

reach

Old 02-15-2007, 01:11 PM   #71
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Reach ,
    Hey there , I'm doing ..Pain in my dang back is killing me. If it's not the dang leg and feet it's my back. Like a dummy I use our shovel to remove some snow , I'm not supposed to be bending twisting lifting ect..but some days I just hate doing nothing and think I'm a tuff guy .

I got my script in the mail today ,OXY IR all it is is oxycodone in a capsule. I never seen that before. But it's only 5mg , not like my 15 mg oxycodone. I still have withdraws but not as bad with these. I'm starting to wonder whats worse being addicted or living with pain. I'm praying the stimulator will work for me. Then I can shove these pills where they belong ,down the toilet !

1/4 a tab only ? Wow that is awsome , man I can't wait till I can say that. I will ..I'm a strong man ,when I say somthing I do it. I want to do it your way , BUT my Dr. I think is doing it to fast , I used to take
    1-oxycodone 15mg every 12 hours (actually more than that) plus my
    30mg Morphine every 12 hours ,thats a strong pill every 6 hours .
    NOW he has me taken a 5mg oxycodone every 4-6 hours..Not that I'm complaining but I wanted to go slower..Ahhh I shouldn't complain because I need off these anyway.
    Has your pain subsided ? Do you suffer from pain still ?

Old 02-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #72
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi Shawley

IR... that means Immediate Release. 5 mgs. Now you are on what I am. Shawley, exactly what does the prescription read? Even if you took only 1 tab every four hours, you would still be getting 15 mg in a 12 hour period. Just in Immediate Release form rather than Extended Release form.

If you think you are being taken down too fast, then you need to speak to the doctor. Have you stopped taking the morphine altogether? That needs to be taken into consideration.

Shawley, did they give you an actual plan? Or just switch you to a different tablet? My doctor actually physically wrote down. Like WEEK ONE___tabs, WEEK TWO,___tabs and so on. I started off by doing a dual taper...oxycodone and xanax. When that first cut was way too big and I was in terrrible withdrawal was the week I saw the psychiatrist. The psych was the one who suggested one med at a time (because benzos and opiates work on two different systems in the body) and to slow down. I went back to my family doctor, who is handling the taper by my choice, and related that to him. He said it was fine to modify the plan, as long as we kept coming down. I kept the drop in the Xanax I had already made (by choice) and the change in the oxy taper was to cut every two weeks. A cut of about 10% has seemed workable to me. Sometimes the percentage is a little higher, sometimes a little lower. The tabs are hard to cut up. When I make the last cut from 1/4 to 1/8, I will have to crush the 1/4 tab and oick up the crumbs with my finger. Not sure what you will do with a capsule.

And, yes, my pain is more than bearable now. Yes, I hurt somedays, and always will. I lost an entire major muscle, so now one leg muscle has to bear the weight and job of two muscles and there is a lot of nerve damage and scar tissue. But if I try to explain how much less my pain is than when I was taking high amounts of opiates, I know it can be hard to believe. My pain is probably 80% less now at least than when on high opiate use. Opiates cause rebound pain and exaggerated pain after extended use. This was hard for me to believe until I have seen it actually happen to me with the much lower pain levels at this time.

Shawley, perhaps you need to go in and sit down with your doctor at this point and have a good discussion on exactly what the plan is. For me, it was very important that I had a written, concrete plan so I could see on paper exactly what I was expected to do. And when it needed to be revised, I got another written plan. Now my plan is not written because it is cemented in my head what I have to do. And because I am thinking more clearly and more in tune with my own body, I can make an informed decision when to cut.

For many, I know this has seemed a really long taper and two weeks between cuts too much time. At one point, the doctor even wanted me to wait three weeks because I was out of control with the anxiety. I made that particular cut after two and a half weeks. And because my mind and body are healing as I go along, sometimes it is only a week between cuts now. My rule, from a friend on this board.... once you make a cut, never go back up. I follow that faithfully. Some cuts seem easier, some seem harder. But when the cut is made, there is no going back for me. I just deal with it and the advice has served me well.

I worry a bit because it doesn't seem there is a plan in place for you that is clear and understandable. Perhaps there is already and I have just missed it in all the postings. Let me know, okay?

Best wishes
    reach

Old 02-19-2007, 04:20 AM   #73
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Hey Reach ,
    Sorry I haven't posted for a while , my computer wouldn't allow me to get on here ? Somthing wrong with the database?

Anyway , your right 5 mg's a day equaled my oxycodone , but they left out 3o mgs of morphine . I talked to my surgeons office who took over my scripts , and told them to drop from a 15mg twice a day plus
    30mg of morphine twice a days to a 5mg isn't what I ask for..The nurse talked to the Dr. who said he will send me a 10mg oxycodone script for a week is all ? This really has me upset. I can't go to my original Dr. who started me on these drugs because he moved away 200 miles. I called my pain clinic who has no Dr. yet because the origanal one left without notice ,they even said I should be brought down slower..I have 2 vicodent's left to last me until my scripts get here ,probably tomorrow. But the Vicodent doesn't help to much.

I can't believe they only gave me 40 pills of 5mg. I had to take 2 at a time because one wasn't working alone now I'm out again. This just ticks me off..I didn't want to become dependant on these pills. Yesterday I only took 3 5mgs oxy and 3 vicodents.. Thats a big cut for me. I still was sick feeling but coped with it on the couch watching the race . So far today I took 2 Vicodents and thats all I'm taking so I have some for tomorrow.

No they didn't give me a plan , it was more of a threat to quit ? I never EVER had a drug problem yet they treat me like I have. Just told me that after I get this weeks worth of oxy I better be off them ? I'm calling my origanal Dr. who's office is 200 miles away today and talk to them.

I'll keep you posted , thanks for your help Reach

Closed Thread