It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• am gona get off the codeine.will you help me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
    ctg
    (male)

ctg HB User
    am gona get off the codeine.will you help me?

Hi people.

i think i last posted here a few years ago. lol that shows how long i last visited.
    well since then things havent got any better.
    2 years ago i went on a course for 3 1/2 months of subatex of buprenorphine.
    i tepered off and was clean for 2 weeks , then i kicked off again and mow just last week i was on between 60 and 80 30 mg codeine phosphate per day.
    but i have now got fluid retention on my legs and just 2 weeks ago had fluid drained off my knees.
    so now i am going to do it the hard way
    a total stop and *** i hope i can do it.
    i only took 20 yesterday and then only 16 this morning. but now i havent got any left and sent text messages to 5 of my friends telling them NOT to give me any in the future if i ask.
    bloomin hell that was hard but i think it better for the best.
    so tomorrow is gona be my first day with nothing.
    i will be back on tomorrow and give you an update.
    wish me luck. i think i will need it from what i have read it's gona be the hardest thing i have ever done.
    i have even stocked up on the immodium as i hate getting dioreha when i havent had a good intake.
    i have just started getting the cold sweats this safternoon and am dreading tomorrow. but i will be back.
    if anyone has any advice on how i can over come my 8 year codeine addiction i will look forward to you advice.
    i think thats it for now. i will be back tomorrow and tell you how i got on.
    c u 2mara
    davey

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
    Re: am gona get off the codeine.will you help me?

Hello CTG

Good to hear you are trying again to rid yourself of the codeine. Smart thinking, smart move. It is going to be hard, but others have done it.

Guess my advice is that you spend some of this "down" time thinking about how you are going to provide yourself the support necessary to stay off for good. Life style changes have to be made. Different changes for different people. If you have spent time using with your friends or getting your supply from your friends, then changing who you hang with is going to be a must. If you have been using them to mask some pain in life, then you need help to find a better way to deal with it. Etc.

It is hard to make life changes, but it has to be if we really want to stay clean. Repairing yourself must be your top priority.

And to answer the question posed in your thread: Of course folks here will help you! The board is full of caring people... not only those who are struggling to get clean, but also those who have made it and stay about simply to help others along the way.

You have made a good start telling your people not to give you any. You have to cut off your sources as a safety net. And you must have a plan of support to help you. Both things.

Wishing you well

reach

Old 02-10-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

Hi davey
    How was your night? Did you get any sleep? You are in for a ride, but don't be too scared or you might waver. Stay strong in what you want to accomplish. Can you take a week off where you are not around anyone so you can go in and out of the lou.. You mentioned you stocked up on the immodiam, I suggest you leave that alone for as long as you can bear. Of course if you have to leave the house, it's a good idea to take them with you. Your body needs to rebuild itself naturally as yukky as that is. Drink 8 to 12 glasses of water per day, you will be severely dehydrated, don't eat any spicy and fried foods you might get indigestion,, stay away from heavy citrus foods, tomotoes, grapefruit, don't eat bran, dates or prunes, caffine or eat chocolate it will promote diaherah, you don't want to make that worse, take a multivitamen, vitamen c, calcium every day, after the severe diaherah is gone apx 3 to 6 days- you should buy some milk thistle and take that for a month to cleanse the liver. Keep drinking water all month, drink lots of herbal tea and soups, in the second or third week start getting exercise, find a support group and start weeding out your people whom you think are your friends. It's all about change.

For me, cold turkey was the only way to do it, I tried taper with codeine but I just kept tipping the scale. This board helped me tremendously, I came to the board on day 3 when I found Mike doing the same as myself, we spoke to each other almost daily about what was going on for us in our first 30 days and others joined in, you might want to read the post, it is rather long, maybe 13 pages but it will give you an idea of what is to come. The post is called 'day 3 clean'. I am here for you, and others are too. You have come to a very helpful place, even if you do falter, you are still in the right place, don't beat yourself up, be easy on yourself, just keep the faith and remain and remember what you want to accomplish.It will happen because you want it to, If it dosn't happen now, it will happen later, we all recover differently
    take care
    kadee

Old 02-11-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
    ctg
    (male)

ctg HB User

Hi people.
    well wht a hell of a night i had.
    i was woken up at 4 in the morning and had to run to the toilet.
    it was horrible and i was there for a good 3/4 hour.
    but the horrible thing was that i just couldnt cope with the cold sweat and the shivers and the runs.
    i think i had better try a tapper first rather that give it a total stop.
    i think for me a total stop is going to be too hard.
    so i did the wrong thing and told the one and only person that i adent to not give me any if i ask was my neighbour.
    so i told him i was short until friday and so could i lend some off him.
    i got 2 strips of 10 and took them straight away.
    ohhh how i am sorry and i feel like i have let you down. but i havent given in yet.
    i do think that when i was taking them ig time like on an average day i would have taken about 60 x 30mg tablet and on a day when i might have got 2 loads of people and i was flush i may have taken up to 80 or 100 on a day. so i think the best thing for me to try to do is try a taper fist.
    after today i know that i havent got any coming in at all so i need to prepare myself for the worst to come.
    i cant even go back to the drug and alcahol centre in the hospital i live near because i found it hard to do the dayly issue if subatex because of my shift work.
    and with me knowing how against drugs and stuff my wife is , i just cant tell her.
    a few reasons why is the worry of might happen and then the other os the shame i would bring to her, i love her to bits and cant do that to her.
    i have even tried ringing that talk to frank number but they couldnt do much for me and just refered my back to my doctor
    does andyone know if there is anyone on here who would be prepared to actualy talk to me about my situation ???

it's 5:35 in the afternoon here in the uk and already i am dreading going to bed tonight with the worry of not getting to sleep and then knowing that tomorrow i have to go a full day with nothing.
    bloomom hell i aint got a clue on how to do it. but am gona try.
    that for listening and sorry for doing what i did , but i will try harder today for tomorrow and get back with you tomorrow night
    thanx
    dave

Old 02-11-2007, 12:03 PM   #5
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

hi dave
    It's OK, don't beat yourself up. You are travelling at a high speed with those things, it's going to take time to gear down. You are in an awkard situation to c/t with your shift-work and with your lady not knowing just how badly you are wired for sound. I think it would be better and easier on your bio-rythum to taper down. Doing shift work is hard enough, but trying to regulate your insides to your outside environment!, I beleive would take longer, the withdrawl would seem stronger because you have to keep fighting, and your work would be affected. I was lucky because I was able to W/D in the comfort of my home without anybody around for the first yukky week.

Alternatives you might consider
    1) get honest with your lady - set up a support group for her so she can understand what you and others like you are going through, you are not the only one, it's not about shame, try to explain - you are not to blame, you are a sick person trying to get well.

2) take time off work, lets say Monday go in a little dope sick and let everyone know you are coming down with something, then on Tuesday phone in and say you are sick.Don't go in for the rest of the week, that is IF only you do the C/T, you would have to let your lady know if you decide this way.

3) Does your work have employee programs set up for addictions if they do -let your work know you have an addiction problem and need to go to detox then rehab - If they don't keep treading - with your taper.

Hope this is somewhat of a help, sorry I don't have any phone numbers you can talk to in the UK, I am in Canada. But I firmly beleive in the NA Way because it has helped me and so many other success stories arise of living clean and sober from following their principals and traditions, and if you look one up in your area, you call the hotline number and someone will get back to you and talk with you. There is no fee for this, just the fee of your ball and chain that you want to break.,Let us know what you are going to do
    take care
    kadee

Old 02-11-2007, 02:26 PM   #6
    Im a mess
    (female)

Im a mess HB User

Hi CTG...Your in for a ride.I think you should taper.With the amount of codeine you've been on, you can have serious withdrawal symtoms.such as seizures.. I was takeing 60 Norco aday and climbing. I went cold turkey, I did have some trazodone however, its an anti-depressant that doctors give you for sleep disorders... I went into a free detox center and all they do is watch you, and take your blood pressure every 4 hours..I hated it, cuz they do it ALL nite long..LOL....NO sleep...Once its over its over, you will feel refreshed and clear headed, and then the emotional dependence hits.

I think Kadee said it....go to your nearest NA meeting if possible, you will have many people to talk to, and they will have already been where your going.. Best choice I ever made was entering a twelve step program, it saved my life....It helped me with starting a new way of thinking, and liveing. Maybe u can get something for your sleep, try that Excedrin PM. Im not sure how strong it is against dope with drawals, but it might help....

I am happy to say that I will be takeing a cake on Feb....15th for my 8 year anniversary clean and sober. My life is so much better now. But I couldnt do it alone.I went to AA and NA meetings 3-4 times a week for the first 5 years or so...I liked it there ,so I made it my second home, made lots of friends that I still have today.. ONE DAY AT A TIME is there motto, it applys to almost anything in life,baby steps too..Its not going to be all better in one day.

I wish you the best and an easy come down...If you need to ask any questions, Ill be around, and I know theres alot of others that are going thru this same thing. They are on this board, so keep reaching out.....
    IM A MESS Patti

Last edited by Im a mess; 02-11-2007 at 02:28 PM. Reason: wrong user name

Old 02-13-2007, 06:39 AM   #7
    ctg
    (male)

ctg HB User

thanx kadee.

i have thaught about telling my wife but it's going to be a no way situation.
    i simply cant do it to her.

bloomin hell i am a 38 year old married bloke with 2 kids and cant understand how i got myself into this mess, i must be an idiot or sometrhing.

its now 2:38 in the afternoon uk time and its now been 28 hours since i last taken any.
    and i must say i feel crap with a capital C

i just hope i go till tomorrow so i can say i have gone 2 days with nothing for the first time in about 7 - 8 years. this is realy that bad.
    if i can do this then there's nothing for me to do it for another 24 hours and then think that something is realy going the right way for a change.
    i also have to accept that i have told all of my m8's who i had got them off NOT to give me any more, so i aint going to get any anymore.
    lol bloomin hell i wasd taking over 1000 / month and have to accept that i will have done some orgam damage by now.
    i just hope this is a repairable thing on not life threatning.
    i will get back to you tomorrow hopefully with some good news.
    ohh the horrible runns have started again so i have no choice to take the immodium to help prevent it.

thanx
    davey

Old 02-13-2007, 07:35 AM   #8
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hey CTG

You hang in there, Buddy. Yes, I am sure you do feel like crap. It is pretty horrendous for sure to be in full blown withdrawals. Take it minute by minute. Withdrawing this way can leave you so totally exhausted. Rest as you can, but inbetween you need to push yourself to the limits to try and move around and help that brain start to restore itself and begin producing what it needs to on its own.

Some of the things I read about that I tried and helped (even if they seem silly):

Lay with my face in the window for the sun to hit it
    Step out and get fresh air, even if it is only on the back porch
    Force a smile on your face... somehow just the action of it helps the brain
    Swing my arms around while I was sitting or standing
    Sing out loud

I know they sound kinda silly, but every little bit helped and I was willing to try anything to help myself that wasn't harmful.

I'll be thinking of you. Post as you can.

reach

Old 02-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #9
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

Congratulations Patti on your cakes
    Hi Reach - silly works - change is good

Hey davey
    Wow good on you, you are almost over day 3, which is the biggest hump in the roller coaster ride for a lot of people. You are probably very wobbly and climbing the walls about right now.

"opioid dependence' is more complicated than just being physically dependent. Opioid dependence is actually a disease with physical and behavioral traits."

Did you make it back to the hospital to get some Subutex? I would hope you do because of the mass quantity you have ingested over the years." Subutex is given during the first few days of treatment, while Suboxone is used during the maintenance phase of treatment.The hospital staff can monitor you and give you support, painlessly and privately" so your family doesn't find out.

I hope this information is correct for you as I just pulled it from the net which I normally don't do, just cause you mentioned it earlier. I would try to get back to the hospital regardless of shift work, there must be some way to re-connect.. If you call and urgently remind them who you are and what you want to accomplish, they will take you on a more serious nature and might make an exception for you. Your determination with constant calling will be their reasonable factor if any exceptions are to be granted.

If you carry this C/T out on your own without any help you might be endangering some aspects of your physical self like
    Patti mentioned -(Im a mess) your family will see Dr Jeckel Mr Hyde and probably get concerned, scared, insecure and upset about you.

You are going to be sick and cranky for a long time, I hope I am not discouraging you, I just want you to be safe and protected while you are doing this because of the mass quantities you ingested. My lower intestines are still filtering toxins out, 43 days later after my clean date..I used them for 10 years. It is going to take time. We have to be gentle with time.

What do you think the family would say or do if they found out about your dis - eased life situation? It would be easier on you and them if they supported you during this time - which would mean - (honesty)

I think it courageous of you to stop the battle now, but I really believe you need some medical help with your W/D and if you decide not to go the hospital route with health maintenance or Detox,

I strongly suggest to get a hold of the NA HOTLINE as soon as you can. They are available 24/7..

don't be too hard on yourself
    you are on the right path this time
    kadee

Last edited by kadee; 02-13-2007 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #10
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

hey davey
    I just read on the net that you can get addicted to suboxone from the w/d of the opiates and might need to take Valium when the suboxone treatment is over. So please forgive my ideas for advising you to go back to the hospital. So so sorry, I didn't know, I just read what I pasted with quotes and thought it might benefit you but not now.

I am no doctor but I do know a little bit from what I have gone through, I really don't think that is a good idea anymore, seeing that I have also had a 8 year dependency with Valium in my past, Valium is far worse to W/D from than opiates. Sorry about the previous post about the suboxone.

They keep inventing more drugs, we addicts keep falling for them. The medical profession must be having a good laugh. Where would they be without us? Just better to take nothing at all. You are right about that.

And pretend the medical profession have lost all their licenses and there are no more pills available for anyone and there are no more labs to make any more drugs. So you just have to deal with life on life's terms. And you will. Believe that. See it. Know it. Trust it.

Keep doing what you are doing. You are doing great!!!!Take it easy on yourself with any feelings of guilt or shame that may arise. And if you need to cry - just let it all out ---

take care
    kadee

Last edited by kadee; 02-13-2007 at 12:13 PM.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Davey

How are you, Buddy? I was just rereading your whole thread. You are in a tough shape and a bad spot.

I know you don't want to tell your wife. I can understand the initial humiliation and embarassment. I suffered that, but it was short and sweet. I had to get past it to get better. My doctor knew, my hubby knew. Then I called all my doctors' offfices to say I was coming off opiates so there was no temptation to have another doctor prescribe. I told my adult kids, my other family members (even my 16 year old niece was let into the loop), and my closest and trusted friends. Davey, the relief of not hiding anymore was like a boulder lifted from me. It was a source of such relief not to try and hide what was happening. Hiding it, for me, would only have been a hinderance. Besides, Davey, I really don't see how anyone can hide that something this drastic is happening.

Oh, Buddy, you need some human help along the way here. Perhaps there is a doctor who can work with you? NA is a great support, but I think you might also need some medical attention here. As you are finding, it really is as rough as others have posted.

I'll be thinking of you and praying that the right decisions are found for you. Stay in touch with us.

Lots and lits of hope
    reach

Old 02-13-2007, 07:00 PM   #12
    Im a mess
    (female)

Im a mess HB User

KADEE: Thank you so much!! Davey, I feel for you.. I remember when I had to tell my family about my addiction to pain pills. Unfortunatley, I was arrested for calling in scripts for my self, becuz I worked in a doctors office. I was let go from the office, becuz I got into an arguement with the doc I was working for,I was really trying to defend my self, after someone accused me of something I didnt do. They new something was wrong with me, they just couldnt place it..I was let go, then 2 days later, I tryed to call the pharmacy to see if my pills were ready, and they told me I had to get ahold of my doctors office, that they couldnt fill the script.....My heart sunk,. and I knew it was over. I was arrested and let out immediatley on an OR. Thank god . I then had a chance to kick in a rehab type place. They didnt believe in giving you anything to come down with. ( I didnt know that, went I went in) I was scared.. I then got ahold of my Mom and my sister and son, and the rest of them.. They were in shock at first, but then they told me, now they see why I was acting like a B****. I was nasty on thoses things.. They all thought I had gone over the edge. LOL They were really relieved when I told them...They helped me with food, and paid for my rent for a month..untill I was capable of fending for my self mentally and physically My family are not saints, just the opposite, but they knew I was sick becuz I explained to them, that I was sick with a disease of addiction and alcoholism..

I just pray and hope you take some direction from thoses of us that have walked in your shoes. NA is a great program, and you dont have to be alone. They have meetings at different hours of the day, you could go to the noon meetings even. This will all be over soon....Keep that in the back of your mind, so you dont give up....

Thanks for listening to my advice....even if you dont take it...I know Ill still be here for you....

I would think that your wife already knows somethings up, cuz our personalitys change on thoses nasty pills. Like the others, this isnt a one week plan, you may suffer mental addiction too, after you deal with the physical withdrawal. I would think that your wife would be resentful, if she finds out you didnt confide in her. Of course not knowing her, who knows. You know her best.. I vote for telling her. My boyfriend at the time I was arrested, couldnt believe, I had gotten into such a mess, he told me, it hurt him that I hadnt told him. about it. I was ashamed , and scared of loosing him... Now I am so glad he found out, he was the one that stood with me as I entered the rehab.... I wish you the best....Good luck...hun........IM A MESS Sorry for the longggg story..

Old 02-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #13
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Davey

I just read the post from Im A Mess. I think it was a great post and all I can say is "ditto."

We all here want you to have the best shot at recovery and a lot of components come into it. Support from family, friends, doctors... these are huge components.

Good night and peace all

reach

Old 02-13-2007, 07:50 PM   #14
    Im a mess
    (female)

Im a mess HB User

Hi all..Thank you REACH: I appreciate your comment...Ummm KADEE,I dont think you were so off about the subtox or whatever its called..They didnt have that when I detoxed, but I have heard its suppose to be a short time helper for the first few days.Now I dont know much about it, but I have learned that much, I do know that you can become dependent on it too.

Thats the point though isnt it?? Why we want Davey to seek help soon...A doctor who deals with this kind of addiction will know the best way to withdraw if you have trouble....

DAVEY, one more thing...When I got better and off all the pills, MY life became bearable, and I found a decent job, and I felt great. I now tell my horror stories at meetings or to anyone that wants a laugh. You will be able to tell your story soon, and you will laugh too..I promise it will happen to you too. By the way...I dont work in any doctors offices any more LOL.. too slippery of a place for me....

HUGSSSS to you all that are in the middle of this withdrawal or anyone that needs them.... IM A MESS (Patti)

Old 02-14-2007, 06:36 AM   #15
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

Happy Valentines Davey
    Early morning here and you are in mid-afternoon already. Wondering how you are today, are your guts on fire, hot and cold sweats, and your mind racing. It must be so hard on you, but just remember one day of not using is one successful day full of a major miracle. Cause that is what you are. A miracle. Are you drinking gallons of water and taking any vitamen supplements? Keep in touch no matter what. OK Davey. Be easy on yourself.
    kadee

Closed Thread