It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Please do not laugh at this, seriously

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2007, 08:03 PM   #1
    happygolucky55
    (female)

happygolucky55 HB User
    Please do not laugh at this, seriously

Okay, I can see that this board is for more major/harmful adictions...but I am here and giving it a shot. I am currently addicted to altoids candy...yeah the mints Something in my body craves the peppermint oil and the feeling that I get with it. I also have to stay away from rubbing alcohol and things like sea breeze and Gosh, I am so embarassed to say this but Vicks rubbing ointment. I stay away from it because I get the biggest urge to sniff it and I taste it...weird. At the worse I ate about 20 boxes of altoids in about a 12 hour period. I am sorry this sounds so corny...but just curious if anyone has every had thes cravings...
    thanks in advance
    k

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
    Im a mess
    (female)

Im a mess HB User
    Re: Please do not laugh at this, seriously

Nope, never have..Maybe theres a food addiction board??? Good luck... IM A MESS

Old 02-15-2007, 04:36 AM   #3
    kiam0675
    (female)

kiam0675 HB User

I will not laugh at you. Sometimes there is a chemical in the brain that makes you crave this stuff. If memory serves me right on this. There are people who will sit and eat a jar of helmanns mayo or sticks of butter they crave it badly. My little brother could sit and eat sticks of butter. His favorite things was bologna butter and mayo sandwiches. Sounds gross but he wanted it badly. Have you talked to your Dr about this. There have been people here addicted to AJAX and all sorts of things so this might just be a chemical imbalance that makes you crave these things. I would do some reseach I am sure your not alone. This could be serious too.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:38 AM   #4
    Thiswasyourlife
    Inactive
    (female)

Thiswasyourlife HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by happygolucky55 View Post
    Okay, I can see that this board is for more major/harmful adictions...but I am here and giving it a shot. I am currently addicted to altoids candy...yeah the mints Something in my body craves the peppermint oil and the feeling that I get with it. I also have to stay away from rubbing alcohol and things like sea breeze and Gosh, I am so embarassed to say this but Vicks rubbing ointment. I stay away from it because I get the biggest urge to sniff it and I taste it...weird. At the worse I ate about 20 boxes of altoids in about a 12 hour period. I am sorry this sounds so corny...but just curious if anyone has every had thes cravings...
    thanks in advance
    k
    When someone is craving strange things that do not alter the mind, typically its a vitiman or mineral deficiency (sp)/lacking in your body. Google it for more info.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
    happygolucky55
    (female)

happygolucky55 HB User

Thank you for the replies..I did google it and I am very happy to see that I don't feel as stupid about this...I also know that it can get more serious. Huffing..is where the put the "smell" in a plastic baggie to get it absorbed. I know this is not smart and dangerous. I admit I have put the alcohol on a cotton ball and just sniffed...and I know I was getting a buzz...but I also knew it was stupid too. I guess the altoids use is not that bad then...compared to dying with a piece of cotton stuck up my nose. I have already gone thru 2 tins in 20 minutes...I think "why do I buy them then"..if I know. But it is though I really need them. I am spending far too much money on them a day. But I wake up with them and I go to sleep after a box and I eat nothing all day but them...very little food if any. I will talk to my dr (and hope she doesn't laugh about it) about this b/c obviously this is becoming a problem. I couldn't find anything about the vitamin defiency but I am still looking...thanks again!

Old 02-15-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
    TJinPA
    (male)

TJinPA HB User

Hi that is such a curious thing to get addicted to. Please keep us (or me any way) informed. Those things are so strong I have one in my mouth for like 30 seconds and I'm looking for a place to get rid of it.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #7
    Frozen
    (female)

Frozen HB User

The strong urge to injest non-food items is called pica. Just a little something else for you to do an internet search on. Please talk to your doctor -- (s)he won't laugh -- so that you can resolve the cause of these cravings.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
    Dantheinsane
    Veteran
    (male)

Dantheinsane HB User

Up and until the early 60's, Coca Cola used cocaine in their drink. For whatever reason and whatever time in the 60's they stopped. They replaced it with caffeine, which is also addictive. Sugar is very addictive, but who knows what they put in those Altoids.

I am sure if you discovered another addictive drug in it you would be a very rich and famous person.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:50 AM   #9
    donewithvics
    (female)

donewithvics HB User

After I admitted my vicodin addiction, stopped those cold turkey, I replaced that addicition for starbucks peppermint mochas. So, the altoids peppermint I understand. I, too, spend way too much money on them, but I've learned to limit myself to one a day...and I savor it! Try and do the same with the altoids...allow yourself onlyXX amount and stick to it...and then, gradually, wean yourself down to a "normal" amount.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
    happygolucky55
    (female)

happygolucky55 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by augirl View Post
    After I admitted my vicodin addiction, stopped those cold turkey, I replaced that addicition for starbucks peppermint mochas. So, the altoids peppermint I understand. I, too, spend way too much money on them, but I've learned to limit myself to one a day...and I savor it! Try and do the same with the altoids...allow yourself onlyXX amount and stick to it...and then, gradually, wean yourself down to a "normal" amount.

Congrats...and good luck! I realize that anything can become an addiction if you let it. I use altoids to "get away" seriously, I know how many boxes I need to have before I get "mellow." About 3...so technically I eat between 9 and 12 boxes a day on a ok day... I eat them, I do not suck them-so a box takes me about 2 and half minutes to eat. I guess it's really just a sugar high. I just hate my behavior...I mean if I didn't feel guilty about it I wouldn't be so secretive about it...can you believe this Secretive about altoids...wow My doc last year had put me on anti depressants b/c I wasn't eating very well...she thought I was headed for a eating disorder...if she had only know, I was eating...just not food...but altoids...now I gotta tell her this...hmm

Closed Thread