It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Addicted to Xanax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2007, 07:00 AM   #1
    Jay Thomas
    (male)

Jay Thomas HB User
    Addicted to Xanax

I am new to this so please bear with me. I am a deep cover narcotics agent and am currently in the middle of a horrible divorce. I have been taking Xanax for approximately 9 months. My prescribed dose is 5 1mg tablets per day. I have never been medicated before and I believe my doctor may have given me too much. It hasn't affected my work thus far, but I notice a decline in my productivity. I am sluggish and I Hve been told that I sometimes slur when I speak although I don't feel like I'm in an altered state of mind. I have been trying to get off of the medication, but it is so hard. I need advice.
    I am an excellent agent with a career ahead of me. I've been in Law Enforcement for 12 years now and my job is in jeapordy. I recently had a random drug screen and even though I have a prescription for xanax the doctor who reviewed my screening said he has to recommend that I be placed on light duty until I am completely off of the medication. I have to get off. I am 100% willing to do whatever it takes. I don't like being medicated to begin with. I need advice. What is the best and fastest way to kick the xanax? Thank you for your time and I greatly appreciate any help.
    Jay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
    Re: Addicted to Xanax

Hi

Sorry to hear of your problem. Xanax is a benzo. Unlike opiates, there is no fast track to coming off them. Coming off fast may very easily induce seizures. Even on a slow taper, expect anxiety to soar. In my opinion, the best bet is to go back to your prescibing doctor and let him design a plan for you to taper down slowly and safely. A fast track off just opens up too many doors to high risk physical and emotional problems.

Please go talk with your doctor.

reach

Old 02-17-2007, 11:13 PM   #3
    Im a mess
    (female)

Im a mess HB User

Hi Jay....I was having terrible panic attacks, and I was prescribed, Xanax, and/or Ativan, which is a similar drug... After a while, I didnt try to work thru the panic attacks, I would just take a pill immediatley.. I ended up in the hospital, becuz I ran out of the Ativan..It was not a very good situation, I was scared and went into the most major panic attack, I could have had..

The hospital gave me xanax again, only while I was in the ER..none to take home... They had advised me to go talk to my Mental Health worker. I did just that, they panicked ,and wouldnt fill another prescription, and told me I had to wait till the script was ready to be filled again....And of course I started to panic again... I went to my new family doctor. and explained what happened. I told her about the ER and what the Mental Health place said. She was FURIOUS, becuz you can have a seizure , and it is quite common I guess. I told her, if she gave me enough for 3 weeks, I would taper off of them...I kept my word, and didnt have a problem..When the prescription which I originally had in the first place came due,I asked for less.And I have never taken another one..Just knowing they were in the house, was enough for me to get past the fear of the panic attacts... I was a lucky one I think, I prayed like nobodys bussiness. I chose the taper method,if I was you I would not suggest the cold turkey method.

I dont know if this helps, but it was my experience and I just wanted to share it with you... I wish you a painless recovery how ever. And also suggest , that you stay close to the board, you will have people to help with support and to ask questions to.... Good luck, IM A MESS

Last edited by Im a mess; 02-17-2007 at 11:16 PM.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

Hi Jay
    Sorry to hear about your situation. Xanax has a half life and stays in your body longer than opiates. Taper is the way to approach this. It will take a lengthy amount of time. I know you are anxious and willing to do whatever it takes to get off them, but jumping off is not the way to go about this. It will cause more harm than good and you might find yourself in more of an awkard situation at work if you try to do this fast. You are on light duty now, if you jump off you might be on 'no duty' as you now under observation, I would guess. for a while. I know you must be an excellent agent, sorry about the mess with the divorce, sorry the doctor prescribed these to you. Benzos are no fun to get off. You have been on them for 9 months. Is your regular doctor a gp? I suggest you go to an addictions doctor who specializes in withdrawl maitanence and he/she will have alternative measures for you to take for your stress after you finish the taper plan. Good luck
    kadee

Old 02-25-2007, 10:04 AM   #5
    Podee
    Veteran
    (male)

Podee HB User

People don't get addicted to drugs for no reason at all. I would recommend drug rehab. after consulting with a physician.

Old 02-28-2007, 01:38 AM   #6
    Twig
    (male)

Twig HB User

That is not true in some instances. I was given it for anxiety, only needed it off and on, maybe once a week. My wife and I moved and I was having a hard time, stress. My doctor told me to take once a day, so I did. It helped greatly. But, now I'm in a weening off process and its the hardest thing I have ever done. I'm down to half a pill a day and I'm doing pretty good, some days are better than others. But to say people don't get additcted for no reason at all is untrue for some of us. Hope this helps shed a little light on your thoughts..

Old 02-28-2007, 03:32 AM   #7
    robigibou
    (male)

robigibou HB User

Jay,

Xanax, for those who really need it, can work wonders. However, it is one of the most highly addictive drugs out there. In my own personal experience, I have never known anyone who was prescribed 5 mgs. daily right off the bat. That is alot of xanax for an initial dose and that is really alot of Xanax for someone who hasn't ever had to take it before. With that being said, I feel for you Jay. You are going to have to do a slow taper. As others have said before, Xanax should not be stopped cold turkey as serious problems could arise such as seizures. Perhaps you could cut your dose by a half a milligram per week for the next ten weeks. You have come to this board for a reason, and you will find loving, honest, caring people here. Please keep us posted as to your progress. There are many reading these posts who are in the same boat, and it is very inspirational to hear about success stories. You can do this Jay, and you have an army behind you cheering you on. good luck................rob

Old 02-28-2007, 06:40 AM   #8
    zosolizard
    Veteran
    (female)

zosolizard HB User

Hi Jay,

I saw your post & had to jump in. I recently did a 9 week taper off of Xanax. I had taken it for 15 months @ only .50 mg per day. It is a highly physically addicting drug. Unless taken very sporadically and/or for a very short period of time - it's evil.

Definitely do a taper. Do not quit cold turkey. Can be very, very dangerous.

Do a search online for the Professor Heather Ashton manual. I wish I could provide a link but they won't let us do that here. Go read this manual & it will teach you a lot.

Take care & good luck!

Old 02-28-2007, 06:49 AM   #9
    feather2007
    Inactive
    (female)

feather2007 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zosolizard View Post
    Hi Jay,

I saw your post & had to jump in. I recently did a 9 week taper off of Xanax. I had taken it for 15 months @ only .50 mg per day. It is a highly physically addicting drug. Unless taken very sporadically and/or for a very short period of time - it's evil.

Definitely do a taper. Do not quit cold turkey. Can be very, very dangerous.

Do a search online for the Professor Heather Ashton manual. I wish I could provide a link but they won't let us do that here. Go read this manual & it will teach you a lot.

Take care & good luck!
    Hi there...I was just wondering how you did your taper?? Thanks for any responce....I have a post up that says "weaning off of clonazepam"

Old 02-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #10
    Maxibear
    (female)

Maxibear HB User

Dear Jay,

I'm going against the grain here because there is an alternative to doing a taper. I recommend that you come off the drug using another drug, called Depakote.

Like you, I was immediately prescribed a dose of Xanax that my body immediately became addicted to - I think mine was 3 mg a day, taken in 1 mg increments. I knew after a matter of weeks that I could not get off of it myself, because my body would just "freak out" every time I tried to taper. I knew I needed professional assistance to come off the Xanax.

I checked myself into a rehab facility in New Canaan Connecticut called Silver Hill Hospital, a very nice facility that is known for hosting clients like mariah carey and billy joel. I had no idea what to expect and was terrified, but when I came in they explained that they would immediately take me off the Xanax by using Depakote to alleviate the actual risk of seizure. The Depakote also stopped that "freaking out" feeling that I had been getting trying to cut back on my own. I also felt much more comfortable doing the detox under professional supervision. As it turned out, I only stayed for 2 days, and then they felt comfortable sending me home to complete 6 weeks of Depakote, because I was not a repeat-using risk. I had made it clear to them that 2 weeks into being on Xanax, I never wanted to see another pill in my life. Unfortunately, I had been on the 3 mg a day for about 6 months before I finally gave up and checked into Silver Hill.

The point is - there is an alternative. You don't have to do a slow taper which to me sounds like the ultimate in torture. I was truly surprised that Depakote isn't better known for it's abilities in helping people off benzos, but it does have a longer history of use in detoxing alcholics.

As far as I know, I didn't have any secondary reactions to the depakote. You feel a wee bit groggy, but had I been working at the time, I am confident I could have been back at work 4 days after starting the detox.

P.S. I only threw up one time, which may have been a bout of mild food poisoning. Otherwise, the 1st week of detox for me was no worse than having a really mild case of the flu.

Why don't you call a local rehab facility and ask them about using Depakote to get off the Xanax?

I have never touched another benzo since getting out of there - I never want to feel that way again in my life!

Old 02-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #11
    livinTX
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

livinTX HB User

I agree that you should look into a rehab facility. 5 mg of Xanax daily is a high dose of Xanax, even for a person who has been on it a long time, and it was stupid of your doctor to prescribe you such a high dose immediately.

You definitely should not feel ashamed or like the situation is your fault. I think anyone prescribed 5 mg. of Xanax daily right off the bat would become addicted. Cutting back such a high dose will be difficult, and I think it is best you get professional help because that is a lot of Xanax you are taking.

Good luck!

Last edited by livinTX; 02-28-2007 at 10:20 AM.

Old 02-28-2007, 11:25 AM   #12
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi All

I am heading towards a taper from Xanax soon. You know, about ten years ago, i was in such a severe clinical depression and anxiety that there was a lot of difficulty getting out of it. A lot of it is a bit fuzzy in my mind because I really was in bad shape and didn't always clearly comprehend totally what was happening to me. I was put on and off a lot of meds.

Anyway, I do have a point. I remember being out on depakote for a while. I don't know exactly how long I was on it... few weeks? few months? I didn't know why but now realize must have been to come off the Xanax. Funny, it takes ten years for me to put two and two together.

I was put back on the Xanax off label for nerve damage. But I am heading off it for a number of reasons. Whether I am just being headstrong or not, I have refused switching any meds during my taper off oxycodone (which is done) or my upcoming taper from Xanax.

It has been interesting understanding the depakote-xanax connection.

reach

Old 03-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #13
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

Hey Jay
    Where are you? I hope you are OK. We're all talking to ourselves here.
    kadee

Old 03-04-2007, 09:59 AM   #14
    Podee
    Veteran
    (male)

Podee HB User

Maybe he's not here because he appears to be still in denial about being an addict and needing rehab. If it were as simple as just making a decision and stopping the drugs, no one would abuse anything in the first place.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:11 PM   #15
    abundance
    (male)

abundance HB User

Hi,I have only been on Xanax for a little over a week and already know that i have got to taper of slowly and find a way to go into the fears that drove me after twenty years of recovery from alcohol and drugs to take Xanax for the panic attacks i began to have.

I have my own business and am going to have to back off, my wife is willing to get a job, i am putting myself on light duty and let God guide me from there. I don't know how the bills will get paid, but i cannot focus on that, i have to focus on getting well.

Please consider Jay joining a twelve step recovery group, you will get great help there my friend. Kindest Regards, Bruce

Last edited by abundance; 03-04-2007 at 10:12 PM.

Closed Thread