HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Addiction & Recovery (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/addiction-recovery/)
-   -   VICODIN Detox ..MUST READ (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/addiction-recovery/474088-vicodin-detox-must-read.html)

man2984 02-21-2007 06:31 PM

VICODIN Detox ..MUST READ

Hey everyone my name's Greg, i'm 22 from Chicago and i'm new to this site. I don't want to bore you all with the story of how I got started on Vicodin, but I have some infromation that you will definitely find helpful to kick the habit cold turkey and reduce the withdrawal by 50-60%.
My Vicodin use started out when i was 19. My g/f (first love) at the time left me for another guy and then I lost my job a few weeks later because I started to be chronically late (basically because I was so deep in depression that i didn't care anymore). After she left I huess I felt I needed something to dull the pain of this and so I discovered my new found "love affair" with Vicodin. I went to the Doc and being the crooked guy that he is he gave me 5/500 mg of Vicodin and didn't even question me once about it or caution me how highly addictive this devil pill is. So off i went with a script for 30 pills of vicodin to be refilled 5 times. When I started using i would only use 1 maybe 2 a day tops for the first 6 months. I was fine with that. Well eventually after a year it was 2-3 a day then a year and a half it was 3-5 a day then 2 years it was 5-7 a day and until 11 days ago it was 9-11 a day and he was giving me 130 pills to be refilled 5 times. I was a full blown addict and I knew it. The past year I had wanted to get off but I was always too scared. So a few weeks ago I got so tired of being a drug addict, and a vegetable I just flushed the newly refilled prescription down the toilet and said screw it...i'm done. It was one of the scariest moments of my life. I was sick of waking up every morning withdrawing and needing to get a pill in me just to feel ok and then have to lay there for 40 minutes for it to kick in. In the 3 years of using I cannot even begin to tell you the pain this drug has caused me in my life. I never talked to anyone and I always wanted to be in my dark room. I lost 3 jobs simply because I needed to feel ok in the morning and layed there until I felt fine and by the time this happened i was late and didn't care because i was high. Fired, fired, fired...just like that. That's the thing I learned about vicodin...it's all an illusion...when you're high it feels great, but the pain it inflicts is 10 times worse than the pain it takes away. Now that i'm sober life i great..i swear to you... I enjoy the sunlight, i talk to all of my family and friends, i'm not irritable, i wake up feeling great and ready to go, i can think clearly and hold a conversation, and breath better as well. I swear to you it's amazing. Well now i want you all to feel great to. I'm just letting you know i'm in no way, shape, or form a doctor or medical specialsit of any kind, but I do study all natural vitamins and amino acids everyday. So here is the system that i used to quit cold turkey and felt like a new man after 5 days. All of these items can be attained from the health food store and are all natural. So i will give you the list and explain what each item is used for after. First the absolute most important item is Gamma-aminobutyric acid or GABA. GABA is an amino acid produced naturally by our bodies and when we take vicodin it operated on the GABA receptor in the brain. What GABA supplementation does is it limits the amount of neurotransmitters firing in the brain. The more transmitters firing the more anxious, agitated, nervous, and jumpy we are. When we are withdrawing the neurotransmitters are so used to the drug that they are firing out of control. This is why supplementation with this is necessary and my god it works!!! GABA puts you in a tranquil state without making you high or have the head cloudiness associated with vicodin. For the fiirst week of withdrawals i took 6000-8000 milligrams a day and now after two weeks i only take 2000 milligrams and feel great everyday!!
The next thing you will need is tylenol rapid release or ibuprofen...whichever you prefer...take as needed for first week of withdrawals to get rid of head and body aches. The next item is a B-Complex vitamin to ease some more of that nervous anxiety...next you will need milk thistle to detox your body and liver,kidneys, etc. This is important. The next item is l-tyrosine, and 5-HTP tryptophan for depression. (1,000 milligrams of each for the first week). Valerian Root is next to help you sleep naturally without a sleeping aid. This works better than a sleeping aid actually. Also get 3 ice packs and have them ready to go in the freezer, pepto bismol or immodium for the unfortunate runs, and take plenty of baths. That is the list.
Now some more important information and things to remember....
YOU HAVE TO WANT TO QUIT...u gotta want it.
CONVINCE YOURSELF YOU HAVE THE FLU...all the sympotms are flu like and what happens when we have the flu? We get over it after 5-7 days...JUST LIKE WITHDRAWAL....the symptoms go away and you will get back to normal...i know it may seem like you'll always feel like that, but you won't !!! The first 3 days are the toughest..after that you turn the corner and get better. After you are fully detoxed ...continue to take the GABA only and you will feel great everyday..it's a vitmain after all and it helps the mind stay calm..look it up on the internet. I now take 1000-2000 milligrams a day and feel great...this helps get rid of cravings completely...i am clean for 12 days and have had ZERO CRAVINGS!!!! You can do it!!!! Good luck to you all!

man2984 02-21-2007 09:26 PM

Re: VICODIN Detox ..MUST READ

please let me know if this is helpful to anyone

reachout 02-21-2007 10:32 PM

Hello Greg

I am very happy you have gotten off the vicoden! Good job and quite an accomplishment for sure. Your enthusiasm for a happier life without vicoden is evident and contagious. Smiles.

I agree with you that the more natural we can go, the better. I would caution thise of us who are on antidepressnts or tranquilizers to be very cautious, though. GABA and Valerian root can potentiate these types of meds. Personally, I am on meds that could potentially have a negative interaction with some of the supplements so I always have to check with my doctor and additionally do my own research before I add any supplements.

It is really good to hear of your success and I am glad you have shared your story.

Here's to happiness
reach

RAGE FOR ORDER 02-22-2007 12:23 AM

Way to go! What a way to man up too beat the beast.If i wouldnt of went my DR.
I might likly of tried some of the varations of your detox plan.
HANG THOUGH,
LW

feelbad 02-22-2007 06:03 AM

sounds like you made quite the change in your life,congratulations.really,thats one heck of a huge accomplishment.i don't know alot about all the suppliments and other things you mentioned so i cannot really comment on them but i just did want to reiterate what you stated about convincing yourself you have the flu.honestly,this helps soooo much,much more than you probably know,to anyone who is contemplating doing this.when you get 'sick" you know that it will eventually end,if you think about WDs this way,it helps alot in your head,alot.trust me.if you keep thinking about the fact that you are detoxing,it just makes the whole situation much harder for you to internalize in your head,you know what i mean?so you have the 'flu' or a stomach virus and you deal with it from that angle at least til you feel better.this really does help.i just wanted to really reiterate that part of what was stated,it really helps.good luck to any WD ers.marcia

man2984 02-22-2007 11:39 AM

Thanks for all the nice comments guys it really makes me feel good. Just remember...believe in yourself!! We are all human...our bodies were functioning fine before the drug then it got used to the drug...well guess what?...your body will have to get un-used to it because you'll succeed!! YOU ARE IN CONTROL...must remember that.

man2984 03-01-2007 08:40 AM

Hey all..i just wondered if any variation of this has worked for anyone?

Podee 03-04-2007 09:43 AM

What worked for me is a program of recovery like N.A. - and staying off all drugs and alcohol. Have been clean and sober for many years.

Getting off is just the beginning. Without a program of recovery will inevitably go back.

jclay 03-04-2007 02:57 PM

I was addicted to Klonopin (benzo) for 20 years. 2 mgs every night. I finally decided to get off because my memory was so bad. I tapered down too fast, took a tour through hell, but have stayed off for 6 months. I STILL have nerves in my feet that don't know what to do. I have no intention of ever returning to that devil drug, however, 1 vicodin the other day gave me some much needed relief from a lot of symptoms. Im glad to have read your post to remind me the dangerous territory of vicodin. Thanks.

man2984 03-04-2007 11:01 PM

Hey Jclay...i'm happy to help, and congrats for staying off the benzo. I've heard it's actually harder to kick than vicodin or heroin. I know that Vicodin is the "quick fix"..believe I had gone to the "quick fix" for 3 years for emotional and physical pain, but in the end it's just not worth it ya. My life was torn apart completely...that person wasn't me. I'm clean for 24 days now and I would be lying if I said i didn't miss it at some points during the day, but after that thought goes through my head...the next thought is growing up and seeing my kids and family and living a long life, and then the original thought just seems ridiculous. Physically now I feel great. Not to sound cliche, but I really feel reborn. My life on auto pilot is over and I feel alive again. There are still occassional aches and pains during the day, but nothing a supplement can't fix, or if really bad an aspirin. So in all sincerity good luck to you and stay away from the vicodin. It really will take you down the same horrible path as before. Stay Alive!

Mr&MrsOwens 03-08-2007 07:58 PM

I sympathize with your story.I am only 28 and have had 2 back to back knee surgeries.I have been addicted for 2 years now and wanna quit.I am really really scared.I have 2 kids and can't just lay around.The bad part is,my husband is addicted too.Also,he just lost his job.Is all that stuff expensive??Please let me know.I am out of pills and miserable.I need help bad!!!

man2984 03-08-2007 10:20 PM

Hi Mrs. Owens,
I'm sorry to hear that you are miserable. I know how tough that stage in the game is... believe me. The good news is your body is getting rid of the toxins and that's a very good deal. Now on too getting you better. I know that you've obviously read my detox plan and the good news is all of the items are actually very inexpensive, and especially inexpensive compared to the money that we spent poisoning ourselves for years and years. Now there are still going to be withdrawal symptoms obviously even with taking these supplements because the body is still ridding itself of the pain killers, but I swear to you I couldn't have gotten through it without the supplements.

Now on to the supplements. Just to re-iterate the plan in more readable terms. All of these supplements that I take and took during withdrawal are manufactured by the company NOW (it has an orange label on all of the containers). This brand is guaranteed the highest quality out there. Also some of these I only took for the first week or week and a half of withdrawals so you shouldn't need them after. I buy these from the store The Fruitfull Yield.

Gamma Aminobutyric Acid (GABA)- This is the most important in my opinion. It is a natural tranquilizer for the mind without making you high or drowsy. It comes in capsules of 500 milligrams and I usually take 3 at once, twice daily. You have to adjust this to your own needs though. I am a bigger guy so I obviously require more. For 100 of these it's $10.99. The only side effects reported by some are a fast heartbeat for a few seconds and a slight tingling rarely. These side effects are nothing to worry about and are completely safe.

5-HTP Tryptophan- This is a very fast acting antidepressant and also has a calming influence over the brain. This boosts Seratonin (The feel good chemical) in the brain very quickly. Many cases reported feeling happier and more relaxed within hours of taking it. If taken at night it may help you to get some sleep as well. 200-300 milligrams per day. 90 capsules are about $12.00.

Relora- This binds to receptors in the central nervous system that deal with pain and stress. Much the same way that a Benzodiezapine (Xanax, Paxil, etc) would take effect. Only it does not bind to receptors in the brain that would cause addiction like benzo's do. I personally feel more relaxed within 30 minutes of taking this. 90 capsules are about $15-$18. There are no known side effects.

Valerian Root- Valerian Root works well for the extreme withdrawal period, but I would caution continuing to take it as it may cause liver problems in the long term and it will make you drowsy beyond belief. It is in the valium family and I can't say I don't see why. I only used this as a sleep aid and it will knock you out even if you are withdrawing. Which is good because as we all know in the first few days of withdrawal that sleep is usually non existent. Only take before bed for the first few weeks. It is non addictive though, but long term use is no good. 90 capsules go for about $8.00

Milk Thistle- This is the ultimate body detoxifier. This should cut the withdrawal process in half. This herb will cleanse the liver, kidney's, and just about every organ in your body, and very fast. Anything that gets that poison out faster is OK by me. Usually goes for $10.00 for 100 capsules.

Also some other things to do and remember:
-Make sure to take ibuprofen as needed for the first 2-3 weeks. Unfortunately the natural painkillers in our brain are not functioning at all and have shut down completely because of the drugs we've taken. Don't take too much, but just enough to kill the pain. It is completely safe to take in conjunction with the supplements and the supplements will make you need less of the ibuprofen. It will be one month clean for me tomorrow and I haven't had to take and Ibuprofen in 7 days. So about three weeks of use will probably be needed. I guess my endorphins (natural painkillers in the brain) are going back to normal.

-Wear earplugs to get rid of the noise. This works sooooo well!!! It will prevent a headache or take one right away. It is important to try to stay away from noise and light for the first 3-5 days as this only intensifies symptoms of withdrawal.

-Plenty of baths and lay there for a good 30 minutes to get rid of aches and pains.

-Nice soothing music

-Get a good Green Tea...any will do. This is a great antioxidant and has a great calming effect as well.

-AVOID CAFFEINE, ANYTHING WITH HEAVY SUGAR, COLAS, JUNK FOOD!!!!!!

-And Most importantly ...YOU CAN DO THIS! Be STRONG! It's going to be a month for me tomorrow, and I feel absolutely great. I don't miss drugs and life is beautiful. Have faith in what I'm telling you. This stuff will work for you. Any questions along the way feel free to ask. Good luck to you and Godspeed!