It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Stopping Subutex - how long for w/drawals?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
    lepetitfleur
    (female)

lepetitfleur HB User
    Stopping Subutex - how long for w/drawals?

My DH - through no fault of his own - had to start taking pain medication for a painful condition about 20 years ago. To make a long story short, he started taking Ibuprofen and then Vicodein and finally Oxycontin - and even that wasn't helping after a while. After years of this pain escalating, he finally saw a wonderful doctor who took xrays, didn't blink when he saw how much DH was taking of the pain meds and then called us to look at the xrays. He needed immediate surgery.

It was a long period weaning off of the Oxy and he still wasn't able to completely get off that so we started in on the Subutex program.

Fast forward about 12 months or so - and about 6 weeks ago, he stopped the Subutex. The first 3 weeks were pretty much ok but he is now having a horrible time with mostly very bad stomach cramping. He's tried Reglen, Zantax, Prilosec, etc. to no avail. He might a few moments of relief in the afternoon but this is bad. He's not been able to work at all.

How long can these withdrawals go on for? Are we talking years or ?

Thanks All.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
    TJinPA
    (male)

TJinPA HB User
    Re: Stopping Subutex - how long for w/drawals?

Lepetitflour - I guess everyone was watching B-ball last night. The naatb.org has a lot of info on sub. You could also search this thread for sub and find alot of info. I am on sub therapy and it sounds as though you DH did not tirate down correctly. As i understand it you are suppopsed to VERY slowly wean off of sub. I mean you get down to a couple of crumbs every few days before you stop. How much was he taking before he quit?

Old 03-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #3
    lepetitfleur
    (female)

lepetitfleur HB User

Thanks for your reply TJin! To answer your question, I'm not sure. At one point, his med taking really started to make me anxious and I let it roll into my panic attacks so I stopped asking.

I believe he was taking 1 tablet a day of the 8mg strength but when he stopped, he was fine for about 3 weeks. I was amazed. He looked clear eyed, never fell asleep while sitting, seemed really energetic, etc. I believe the Subutex was probably still in his system. Now it's a completely different story. The main symptom is the chronic tight wrenching feeling in his gut. That's it. I know how hard he wants to do this. He's just had to be on such strong meds for so many years while doctors jacked him around until he found the best orthopedic surgeon ever. Now that he wants off, it's so hard on him. I'm also supposed to have my 5th reconstruction surgery (due to a spot actually opening up after he restitched it in his office) and have been told I need to have one of those flap surgeries (micro surgery where they reattach blood vessels). DH has ALWAYS gone to all my appointments -even when I had radiation back in 2004 - every single day he was there with me. I know that the worry about this upcoming surgery must really be making things worse.

I will do some more searching here to see if I can find any stats on the length of time this is going to take for him to feel normal again. On top of the above, he also has an ulcer that's been there a long while.

Take care and thanks so much for posting

Last edited by Administrator; 04-12-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
    Podee
    Veteran
    (male)

Podee HB User

You question has been answered many times on this site. For example
    [url]http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=482898[/url]

Good luck! Hang in there.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
    kerrie23
    Inactive
    (female)

kerrie23 HB User

if you taper off subutex it shouldn't be that bad but some people are on it for life.. i would say go get checked by a dctr cause maybe it s something else if hes been sick this long cause i am on it and off it depending on when i can get my hands on it and i usually don't get to sick but i only take maybe 4 or 2 milgrams a day and tapering is much easier.

Closed Thread