It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• 17 days sober but then...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
    nofuninsuds
    (male)

nofuninsuds HB User
    Unhappy 17 days sober but then...

Hi everyone

I haven't posted here in awhile but here I am once again . I went 17-18 days sober and was feeling pretty good but them I came down with prostatitis which is a miserable condition that takes months to get rid of and the treatment options are few and far between (and have TONS of side effects). I get prostatitis about once a year and was given 500mg of Cipro to take twice daily for a month.

About a week into taking the Cipro, the side effects (terrible aches and pains in my joints, muscles, bones, etc) were just too much to bare and since there is no known interaction between alcohol and Cipro, I decided to have a few gin and sodas to put myself out of the misery I was in.

BIG MISTAKE!.

Now, I'm back to drinking again every other day and last night I got as drunk as a skunk on Gin and soda and this morning, the hangover was soooo bad that I thought I was having a heart attack or pulmonary embolism. I got really dizzy, short of breath and my pulse went up to 105 beats per minute. My BP was 175/95 too. I quickly took an Atenolol and an aspirin and after awhile, my BP and pulse were back to normal again but I still wasn't feeling all that good. I have been told by nurses that lots of people end up in the ER with these same symptoms after a night of hard drinking so I guess this is normal?.

Anyway, my bones/muscles/joints still ache, my stomach burns like crazy from the alcohol and Cipro and I have had diarrhea for about a week. I'm a wreck right now but I definately plan to begin taking the Naltrexone and detoxing again because these hangovers are the WORST!!.

Well, thanks for listening and wish me luck. I could sure use a friend or two right now!.

- Regards, NFIS

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: 17 days sober but then...

No Fun-
    I'm not coming down on you, or even judging you, but seriously- every time you post it's the same exact thing. You go for a while without drinking and then fall off the wagon, have a horrid hangover where you feel as though you might die, and then come here looking for advice and support. Each time, everyone here gives you the same advice and support.

When my friend, are you going to stop this vicious cycle? When are you going to find some sort of support group to turn to BEFORE you take that first drink? Please, for your own health and wellbeing, find someone- some sort of support group, anything to help you through this. You obviously can not do this alone. There is NO shame in needing help. There is NO shame in getting the help you need.

If you continue down this path, you very well might not even be alive to post on this board after a binge because you could just take the drinking too far one night and end up dead. Your body is trying to tell you something and you are not taking it seriously and it may just cost you the most precious thing in the world- your life.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

Hi NFIS
    I don't know your story but from I have read, you have been around a while with people who know and care for you on this board. I also have been abstaining from alcohol these past three months, alcohal is a drug that leads to other drugs, the morning after hangover can be just as tragic as w/d from doctor or street medication. Expecially if you are a seasoned in your aging process. A few times I have wanted to take a trip down bad ol memory lane, I feel like it,I really want it, or so I think..my addict wants it, I don't want it, we are two people, doctor jeckel and mr hyde by the way is an exagerated auto-bigraphy, but I don't do it, I don't follow through, I just run home as fast as I can, without stopping at the liquor store and phone a friend, just talk and talk it through. I know what happens, I have been there so many times and I feel so ******, I hate myself for it, so I don't do it.
    kadee

Old 03-25-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

No Fun-
    I just wanted to add a little information here. I speak so emotionally because I saw first hand what alcohol addiction can do to a person, their family and their friends and loved ones. It can litterally tear your life appart just as any addiction can. I think people don't really understand the dangers because alcohol, in some people's minds, isn't actually a drug. Well, those who think that are wrong. There are too many people on this board alone who can attest to what alcohol addiction can do. It's a hard battle to fight. It's so easy to get your hands on because 1- it isn't illegal such as cocaine, heroin, etc. and 2- You don't have to go to a doctor to get a prescription for it.

I speak from my heart here because I had to issue an ultimatum several years ago to the man I love more than life itself. My husband was an alcoholic (technically still is although he is recovered). I watched his drinking get so far out of hand, and I knew that he deserved so much more than what this liquid drug was giving him. I didn't want to give him that ultimatum because I knew that if he didn't stop drinking, I would have to take our kids and leave him. I meant every word I said. I loved him too much to stay and watch him kill himself slowly with booze. Thank God he chose to stop. He is so much better off, and so are our kids and our marriage.

Please, PLEASE take a good long look at yourself and your life. Please just understand that this is a fight worth fighting. You are worth saving. You can do this, and everyone here will help you, but you have got to help yourself as well. If you can't help yourself, then there is nothing anyone can do for you. You have to want to do this. When we want something bad enough, we tend to go for it "full steam ahead". I know you have it in you to stop this madness. Please take care, and know this is being said out of true concern.

Let us know how you are feeling today, ok?

PS- Reach- thank you for your kind words. I'm glad my first post didn't come accross as "rude". It truly wasn't intended that way.

Last edited by ozzybug; 03-25-2007 at 06:40 AM.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
    Podee
    Veteran
    (male)

Podee HB User

As you realize now, alcohol is a drug and no different from anything else. In fact, alcohol is probably one of the worst physiologically for the body, and alcohol withdrawal can be deadly.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:45 AM   #6
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Hello Suds. I have just spent some time reading up on what you've been up to in your history ..and I am sorry to hear how badly you have been feeling with your prostate problem and all the other issues going on with you in that Department you sure got some good advice on the previous thread.. I hope you are feeling so much better now....... sorry to hear your still drinking, but I am still hopeful that one day you will finally quit for good I do beleive you will some day.

Closed Thread