It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Starting suboxone tomorrow

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-03-2007, 07:02 AM   #16
    withdrawls are hard
    (male)

withdrawls are hard HB User
    Re: Starting suboxone tomorrow

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfroman1166 View Post
    John:
    No offense-I realize your trying to help. Why are you posting on this thread? If you do not agree with the use of sub for w/d's then you and podee have already made your point! CORRECT? I'm sick of seeing the same posts by you both in regard to sub "being just like the OC or vics",blah,blah... YES...we already know that and have been told of all the risks by a PHYSICAIN!
    We have decided to take the risk-so thanks but no thanks! We get yours and podee's drift.

BTW....if you see the right doctor to obtain sub they will insist that you have a 12 step and therapy in place-my doc stated that the sub is a way of being able to line all this up without having to have the added pressure of pill popping illegally.
    im only telling you as a voice of experience, u can do whatever you like of course. and will inevitibly reap the consequences....dont mean to be so condecending of the drug it did help me, but in the end did more harm than good. As to a 12 step program, you will remain an outsider, not truly being able to say u are clean. that was the case for me and I quit, cause I didnt fit in. sorry to be so blunt, maybe others will heed the warning. It is possible to be dependancy free, life on sub is not, and god help u if u ever run out!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2007, 07:29 AM   #17
    snoopee
    (female)

snoopee HB User

withdrawals suck- I am praying for you and I hope you are able to hang in there. I can't say I know what you are going through (at least at this moment) but I can say that I have had moments in the past similar to your situation- that dreaded feeling in the pit of your stomach along with the severe depression that you have to fight every single minute....not something I would wish on my worst enemy. I find your strength motivating but yet scary as I am not so sure I would be able to do what you are doing.
    Take care and keep posting and just know that you have people praying for you.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #18
    dfroman1166
    (female)

dfroman1166 HB User

I'm not choosing a life on sub-I'm very sorry that your experience was a bad one.
    I have heard many success stories also.
    Not sure what you mean by your comment about the 12 step. May not be the right thing for me either-but now I can take a bit of time to see what is right for me-and ..yes god help me if I do run out. Although my doctor has assured me that I will run out when I'm ready to run out.
    Better to be under a doctors care who knows my history of abuse than to run out and play the "drug seeking game".
    I can't do this the way you are. I've tried and it does not work. You a very strong person and I have alot of respect for you. If I thought that I could do this without the sub do you think I would be on it?

Again, thank you for your input. I get it and acually respect your opinion.
    Peace,
    Dee

Last edited by dfroman1166; 04-03-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:09 AM   #19
    withdrawls are hard
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopee View Post
    withdrawals suck- I am praying for you and I hope you are able to hang in there. I can't say I know what you are going through (at least at this moment) but I can say that I have had moments in the past similar to your situation- that dreaded feeling in the pit of your stomach along with the severe depression that you have to fight every single minute....not something I would wish on my worst enemy. I find your strength motivating but yet scary as I am not so sure I would be able to do what you are doing.
    Take care and keep posting and just know that you have people praying for you.
    thank you snoopee, I feel as if Im being misunderstood by some. I dont HAVE to do this detox thing but ive been wanting too for awhile and ill take this as divine intervention , I could make excuse to get outa her and get some sub, but what I desire is what I know is possible, I am 36 years old, have a great career and 3 beautiful children and somehow a dependant lifestyle dosent seem to fit my picture of how life should be. I was really involved in 12 step group at one time but after group knew I wasnt truly clean they didnt kick me out , but definitly left me sitting there as a newbie who hadnt really decided to get off the fence. secondly, I dont know about others but, now that Im getting opff the sub, the desire to use is returning, from what I know of addiction, its progressive and for life, so how does sub really help unless used for detox only or as a lifelong solution. Im not willing to think about life long dependancy. Im afraid alot of people get on the sub just because of their compulsive desire to use SOMETHING and not so much to get clean but to be free of the burden of where to score next and the cost involved , not to mention legal implications. I honestly dont know that sub saved me in any way, in the long run.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:13 AM   #20
    arg49ermom
    (female)

arg49ermom HB User

Dee & Debbie!! I'm soo happy for the both of you. Sub is a tool in your recovery. It can allow you to function while getting the therapy you need in order to succeed. Give it a few days and you will feel NORMAL again. Not high but normal-the way you were before you started using.

I just wanted to say hello and let you both know you're in my thoughts and prayers. If you are feeling strange, ie nauseated, etc., give your dr a call-HE/SHE will tell you exactly what to do and why.

I am on 20 mgs of sub. Started at 16-24mgs. I am now slowly trying to get to 12mgs. Then take her from there. I plan to be on sub for as long as it takes me to get well again.

God Bless! Big Hugs to you both.
    -B

Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 AM   #21
    withdrawls are hard
    (male)

Im here for u anytime, sorry if im too candid. but mines been a rough road, and i dunno about being strong, just stubborn.....all my best wishes to you new to sub. all I ask is you take it all in before u get too far in....trust me I do understand. John H

Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 AM   #22
    arg49ermom
    (female)

arg49ermom HB User

Withdrawals suck: I am terribly sorry that you had a bad experience with sub. Not everyone does. I was just curious how long did you take sub? How much were you taking? How long did you taper? Did you ct on your own or taper w/supervision of your physician? How closely did you work with your doctor? Does your dr know the problems you are currently having? I pray that you find peace and the strength you need to battle this ugly monster. Just remember that we are all different and what may work for some - may not work the same for others. Hang in there. Big Hugs!
    -B

Old 04-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #23
    Podee
    Veteran
    (male)

Podee HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by withdrawls suck View Post
    tI was really involved in 12 step group at one time but after group knew I wasnt truly clean they didnt kick me out , but definitly left me sitting there as a newbie who hadnt really decided to get off the fence. secondly, I dont know about others but, now that Im getting opff the sub, the desire to use is returning, from what I know of addiction, its progressive and for life, so how does sub really help unless used for detox only or as a lifelong solution. Im not willing to think about life long dependancy. Im afraid alot of people get on the sub just because of their compulsive desire to use SOMETHING and not so much to get clean but to be free of the burden of where to score next and the cost involved , not to mention legal implications. I honestly dont know that sub saved me in any way, in the long run.
    I commend you. Also, I think there are some people who go to 12-Step meetings and lie and claim to be clean, when they are on methadone or suboxone. Now that you have been honest, you can move on with your life.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:33 AM   #24
    withdrawls are hard
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by arg49ermom View Post
    Withdrawals suck: I am terribly sorry that you had a bad experience with sub. Not everyone does. I was just curious how long did you take sub? How much were you taking? How long did you taper? Did you ct on your own or taper w/supervision of your physician? How closely did you work with your doctor? Does your dr know the problems you are currently having? I pray that you find peace and the strength you need to battle this ugly monster. Just remember that we are all different and what may work for some - may not work the same for others. Hang in there. Big Hugs!
    -B
    thanks, didnt mean to bash you! I was on sub for two years and I am an offshore oilworker and this trip, got caught and cant get home and to the dr. hence wd's . trust me I loved the sub, not fully realizing the full magnitude of dependancy it can create. my dr. requires me to come monthly , no exceptions and will not refill for me without a visit. I am glad however for the opportunity to get off. I was on 16 mg daily but often only needed 8mg, not knowing in advance I would run out only was able to taper for about 4 days. what really worries me is the cravings returning after being without sub for 5 days now. glad im in sheltered enviroment and cant do anything but deal with it...it was great while it lasted but am glad to once again be able to try and be dependance free. Ive done a little research on the net as well about long term effects of sub and theyre not good, inpairment of ability to focus thoughts, etc..look around and see if u find some of this...for your own good. I wish you all the best this monster called addiction is cunning enemy, and can make us do things not in our best interest...love u all...John h

Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 AM   #25
    withdrawls are hard
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Podee View Post
    I commend you. Also, I think there are some people who go to 12-Step meetings and lie and claim to be clean, when they are on methadone or suboxone. Now that you have been honest, you can move on with your life.
    thanks podee, thats what I intend to do...never liked being a hypocrite, I wish others would understand the trap sub is.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #26
    dfroman1166
    (female)

dfroman1166 HB User

Wow...can't help but feel totally bashed for mentioning the 12 step! Sorry-I don't know anything about it! I was under the impression that it was a tool to quitting not a place to go after you've already quit.
    Maybe I'm being paraniod-but I don't want to be labeled a hypocrite. Can someone explain the program to me so I'm not misunderstood? My ultimate goal here is to quit taking any form of narcotic-period.
    I always feel so supported here-would hate to screw that up!
    Thank you
    Dee

Old 04-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #27
    smoochy39
    (female)

smoochy39 HB User

I think what he meant about the 12 step program is people being on alternatives and stating that they are truly clean when they are not. I don't think it would be very ethical if a person were on sub or methadone and sponsoring another person.

I'm new here and this is my first post. Sorry to butt in. I have a question after reading the positives and negatives of suboxone.

Can you just take it for a couple of weeks and then wean off of it? Do you go through withdrawals weaning off of it? I'm thinking about trying it, but don't want to be on another drug for two years. I was just hoping for something to get through the terrible withdrawals.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #28
    bkim
    Inactive
    (male)

bkim HB User

Hey there. The sub worked well for me during my detox. I was only on it for about 10 days. If you really want to quit, the sub is great!! It worked for me. I didn't experience the flu like symptoms that I experienced more times that I would like to remeber when I ran out of pills.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #29
    smoochy39
    (female)

smoochy39 HB User

Thanks for replying, did you just cut back on the sub after the ten days, or during the ten days? Did you have any ill effects coming off of it?

Thanks again.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #30
    bkim
    Inactive
    (male)

bkim HB User

Hey there. No ill effects after coming off of it. I was happy when I took my last dose. I can still remember taking it. I worked with an addictionologist and followed the dosing instructions. It worked well for me.

Closed Thread