It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• quit suboxone cold turkey...anyone share this experience

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2007, 03:04 AM   #1
    withdrawls are hard
    (male)

withdrawls are hard HB User
    quit suboxone cold turkey...anyone share this experience

This is my first post, Im hoping to get some feedback on type of symptoms displayed and duration of the same. I work offshore in the gulf of Mexico and due to inavailiability of personell to come out here and relieve me as usual, I have been forced to stay and ran out of suboxone about 4 days ago. I wasnt too concerned about doing this because my Dr. had told me its no worse than flu. As it turns out, he lied. I have been taking 8mg. once a day sometimes twice for nearly two years. I quit methadone (120 mg ) a day to 0, two years ago and am no stranger to serious withdrawl symtoms caused by opiate dependancy, just like many of us who have had issues with various derivitives of the opium poppy! Somehow, this is a bit different. I have some typical Withdrawl symptoms, but also a few Ive never experienced. I guess my question is this, in the past the worst W/D's ended after about 5 days, Can I expect the same from the suboxone or do I need to make an excuse to get out of here..I wanna hang on if its almost over but I dont know if it is...can anybody help? and does anyone have any suggestions for easing the symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
    toughtime
    Inactive
    (female)

toughtime HB User
    Re: quit suboxone cold turkey...anyone share this experience

Hi withdrawals suck,

I'm sorry that you're going thru this. Gosh, today was my first day on sub and my doc suggested I stay on it for a year or two. Reading your post couldn't be more timely for me. But this is about you, not me. I don't know about sub but I've cold turkeyed from a 30 a day norco habit, a 20 a day, a 15 a day, etc. I've done this about 4-5 times and day 5 is usually the day the sun comes back out. Can you get any vitamins like L-tyrosine and vitamin B6? If you don't mind my asking, what are the symptoms that are different than withdrawing from other opiates? I know this is an opiate, every post by Podee reminds me of that and how stupid people are to take sub but whatever. It's a one pill a day opiate that gets you off of the 20 pills a day opiate and levels you out and gets you your life back. It's an opiate that doesn't get you high. The way I see it, it seems like someone could and should do a taper off of sub, the way Reach was able to do with her pain pills. I've never had the will power to taper off of pain pills, but I've tapered off of antidepressants. When it's time to get off sub, ie when someone has control of their life back and coping skills for staying off the pills, couldn't they do a legit taper and not go thru the withdrawal hell that all opiates have?

I realize that you just ran out so tapering wasn't an option but if I were you I would try the vitamins, drink tons of water, hot baths, force yourself to walk, try to sleep as much as you can if you have anything to make you sleep. You will get thru this. The first 4 days are murder so you've made it through the worst. Tomorrow probably won't be a picnic but you might wake up feeling ok. Pray. Let me know how you're doing. This board is such a godsend that we can reach out to each other and share our knowledge. Yea, a doctor that's never been thru withdrawals probably has read that it feels like the flu. We all know that it's way worse but you have all of the symptoms you have with the flu so it's the easiest thing to compare it to.

Good luck and hang in there!

Debbie

Old 04-02-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
    MrNiceGuy
    (male)

MrNiceGuy HB User

I've been off Sub for 23 days now. The W/Ds didn't kick in until about day 4. Day 5 was probably the worst they got, then remained there for a few days. The physical W/Ds lasted until about day 12 I would say, then the mental W/Ds began kicking in. I'm still going through those, but I remember day 18 being the first day that I felt really good mentally, meaning way less depression than previous days, more energy, etc...

The hardest thing for me was the lack of energy. I didn't want to do anything, yet the best thing to do is keep yourself busy.

I was on 8mg per day, then down to 6mg for a few days, then 4mg for a couple of days, then 2mg on my last day, then I ran out and never filled my prescrip again. Going cold turkey from my amounts shocked a few people, so doing so from your amounts is unheard of. I would suggest that you try to tough it out, but because you hadn't planned it & tapered down, I don't know if that's going to be possible.

If day 5 is tolerable for you, then you might be able to hang in there and quit because day 5 will likely be the worst it's going to get for you physically. And hopefully by the time the mental aspect kicks in, you'll be prepared by going to meetings, visit your doc, etc...

Good luck to you whatever happens.

Last edited by MrNiceGuy; 04-02-2007 at 10:34 PM.

Old 04-02-2007, 11:22 PM   #4
    withdrawls are hard
    (male)

thanks mr nice guy, and I need to clarify, I did a very short wean period, about 4 [email protected] 4mg. and the last day 2 mg. I began feeling the WD's 1st day. restless legs, loss of appetite, stomach pain. I have plenty of vitamins and herbal tea and am trying to stay hydrated. I am no stranger to WD's and am very ****** at my dr. and at myself for ever starting the suboxone even though it made me feel great. unlike the methadone I havent been vomiting yet and no tremors, sleep is difficult but have some trazadone prescribed with sub and it helps me to sleep. As far as exercise, out here I work 12 hrs a day 7 days a week and am trying very hard to keep up appearances. There is a dr. onboard but Im extremely hesitant to see him for fear he will see WD symptoms . I think Im on day four, and am managing barely. Thanks for all your support. I hope others read this befor starting sub.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:49 AM   #5
    withdrawls are hard
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by toughtime View Post
    Hi withdrawals suck,

I'm sorry that you're going thru this. Gosh, today was my first day on sub and my doc suggested I stay on it for a year or two. Reading your post couldn't be more timely for me. But this is about you, not me. I don't know about sub but I've cold turkeyed from a 30 a day norco habit, a 20 a day, a 15 a day, etc. I've done this about 4-5 times and day 5 is usually the day the sun comes back out. Can you get any vitamins like L-tyrosine and vitamin B6? If you don't mind my asking, what are the symptoms that are different than withdrawing from other opiates? I know this is an opiate, every post by Podee reminds me of that and how stupid people are to take sub but whatever. It's a one pill a day opiate that gets you off of the 20 pills a day opiate and levels you out and gets you your life back. It's an opiate that doesn't get you high. The way I see it, it seems like someone could and should do a taper off of sub, the way Reach was able to do with her pain pills. I've never had the will power to taper off of pain pills, but I've tapered off of antidepressants. When it's time to get off sub, ie when someone has control of their life back and coping skills for staying off the pills, couldn't they do a legit taper and not go thru the withdrawal hell that all opiates have?

I realize that you just ran out so tapering wasn't an option but if I were you I would try the vitamins, drink tons of water, hot baths, force yourself to walk, try to sleep as much as you can if you have anything to make you sleep. You will get thru this. The first 4 days are murder so you've made it through the worst. Tomorrow probably won't be a picnic but you might wake up feeling ok. Pray. Let me know how you're doing. This board is such a godsend that we can reach out to each other and share our knowledge. Yea, a doctor that's never been thru withdrawals probably has read that it feels like the flu. We all know that it's way worse but you have all of the symptoms you have with the flu so it's the easiest thing to compare it to.

Good luck and hang in there!

Debbie
    thanks for the concern deb, and from a fellow texan is even better! My biggest concern is for those that are new to the sub. I dont want anyone to be mislead as to the real nature of the stuff, useful tool...but be careful with anything more than very short term. I find myself wishing I had a few oxys or lortab or pretty much anything right now and I havent had these cravings in two years on sub, but the sub wd's are putting me in that frame of mind, and thats scary.good thing im in sheltered enviroment now. I am already doing all the things possible to alleviate symptoms, but what really works best is for me to break out my journal and write to myself and to others here also the serenity prayer over and over...cause this is it, Ive run the gambit which for some of us is what we must do in order to realize we cant escape our own f-ed up head. I thought with sub I was done with the 12 steps...looks as if ill be starting all over again, and thats not such a bad thing. John Ps. Ive heard rumor of NA online got any info on that?

Old 04-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
    flushed
    (female)

flushed HB User

I have never gone through what you are going through. I quit Tramadol c/t 1 month ago and, while it was very very rough, it is so worth getting out from under the control of the pills.

I just wanted to say hello and say CONGRATULATIONS on a new life ahead of you.

I have read on message boards what people go through trying to get off of this stuff. STAY STRONG! You can and will get through it!

Old 04-04-2007, 01:02 AM   #7
    withdrawls are hard
    (male)

Cool Re: quit suboxone cold turkey...anyone share this experience

Thanks guys for your interest and concern. I am on day 5.5-6 and minus feeling alot of muscle cramps, restless legs, some stomach pain, and the inevitable lethargy..Im doing remarkably well. My girlfriend, god bless her heart, has been studying up on my condition and suggested sending me some hydros(an old rx from dentist in my medicine cabinet) as she believed it would make me feel better, probably would. Dont wanna go there though. last time i was in wd's was from methadone, and thank god I feel nothing like that. those who dont know about that , take it from a consumate professional when it comes to drug abuse unfortunatly, you never wanna feel that one!! this is no picnick and I have heard it may get a little worse still, but I want to feel the pain and anguish that comes with it and maybe it will serve to remind me that really being clean is the only way, out of curiosity does this L-tyrosine/b-6 worth trying or is it just a mild help? what I really need is to get my *** to a meeting. but looks like another 3 weeks offshore is whats instore. I love you all on this post and youve been great. And nice guy if u are reading, tell me more about the mental wd's, do u have the old cravings back? how are u coping? JohnH

Old 04-07-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
    withdrawls are hard
    (male)

Hi guys, I was banned temporarily but am back and would like to say day 8 and im feeling pretty good..

Old 04-07-2007, 11:04 AM   #9
    snoopee
    (female)

snoopee HB User

So good to hear you are feeling much better! How long until you get to go home? Have you started thinking about your plan to deal with the temptation once you are off the great blue ocean?

I am glad you stopped by to update everyone.
    Remember never lose hope and stay positive
    Snoop

Old 04-08-2007, 01:07 AM   #10
    withdrawls are hard
    (male)

thanks snoopee, preciate it really do. It looks as if 3 weeks or so is what Ive got left, subject to change without notice! and yeah I do have a plan. Meetings, meetings, meetings. how are things with you? I think Im acting bi-polar right now dont know if its a side effect or what? just broke up with my girlfriend of 7 months. for the hell of It , I think. Thats probably not good. but whatever I guess, Im rebounding from 13 yr. marriage. and its hard to find someone who can cope with my messed up brain!!! So, wierd...im like the blind person with heightened sense of smell,have very distinct good traits and very distinct bad. wierd?????? laters,

Closed Thread