It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• diazepam (valium) withdrawl - will I have it??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #1
    Modularman
    (male)

Modularman HB User
    diazepam (valium) withdrawl - will I have it??

I have had a lot of anxiety during my hyperthyroid problems. The dr. gave me diazepam. 5mg 3 times a day as needed. I have only taken 1/2 a pill a day. 2.5 a day. for about 8 weeks. only a couple of occasions did I take a whole one in a day. not recently. Do you think I will have problems stopping this? Dr. says its small enough dose Ive been using and not that long so just stop. I might be a little nervous. Should I taper? and how? I stopped taking it the other day for 3 days. The next morning I woke up with the shakes and high blood presur spikes, etc. I am blaiming this on the diazepam but I dont know for sure so I took it again and I was ok. HUmmm? What to do? Thanks anyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
    Maxibear
    (female)

Maxibear HB User
    Re: diazepam (valium) withdrawl - will I have it??

Very possibly you will have major withdrawls at that level. 5 mg is a huge amount, I'm shocked that's what your doctor had you on, even if you were taking half pills that's a huge initial dose.

If you have trouble with withdrawls, you can help yourself by getting a prescription for Depakote, an anti-seizure medication. It really helps with the feeling like your body is about to errupt or explode. It's the sole reason I was able to get off the Xanax easily. Pre-depakote, I tried to wean myself off/taper multiple times with no success, once given depakote, I got off in 3 days and had almost no withdrawl symptoms at all.

Depakote is commonly used to treat other conditions, but your shrink can prescribe it. If he/she asks, tell him that Silver Hill Hospital in New Canaan CT gives it to their benzo addicts to get off the benzos.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:11 PM   #3
    Modularman
    (male)

Modularman HB User

wow, I was told that taking 2.5 mg a day is the lowest dosage I could be on with diazepam (valium). It was like taking nothing. well not much anyway and my doctor said I should be able to just stop taking it. anyone else. thanks for your response.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:19 AM   #4
    Maxibear
    (female)

Maxibear HB User

oops - my apologies, I thought you meant xanax. a 2.5 mg dose of xanax is pretty high, I think it's different with Valium. They are both benzos, but dosages are different. Ignore my other post for the levels, but if you can't get off, still consider depakote.

Closed Thread