It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Stop Drinking

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #1
    monkey3
    (female)

monkey3 HB User
    Red face Stop Drinking

Is there any way without the help of AA to stop drinking? It is affecting my family life, especially with my children (than goodness they are young 4,6 and 8) although my father is an alcoholic, no longer drinking, but I still remember things about his behaviour that I think formed some of my personality. It is ironic that the thing you dont want to become, sometimes you end up becoming. I drink about 1 bottle of white wine per evening and sometimes have 2 margaritas or vodka drinks as well - not every evening. I had read somewhere that just not drinking for one night, then two nights would help. Any suggestions would be helpful as I want to be me - not the me who thinks I am me if that makes any sense. Not using this as an excuse, one of my children is Autistic the 4 year old and my problems have greatly increased in the past couple of years due to stress and an inability to make things "right". Anyone help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
    candyheart
    (female)

candyheart HB User
    Re: Stop Drinking

monkey- can you stop drinking? I mean no more wine or whatever ever again. Not just stop for a day or two--can you stop drinking forever? If the answer is no, then you need some help--and that's okay..Recovery is not something to do alone. AA is a great program but just because you don't go doesn't mean you can't stay sober. I've seen people stay sober with AA and I've seen people stay sober without AA. But--you must do something. Look for addiction counselors, addiction programs, inpatient and outpatient programs. Not only can they help you put down the drink, they can help you learn how to deal with life without the drink. At this point that seems pretty hard to believe but with the right people it DOES happen!!! Please remember, you are not alone, what you are going thru, unfortunately, happens to lots and lots of people. There is help out there. Can someone help you find the resources you need?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
    kayleighsmom
    (female)

kayleighsmom HB User

I know where you are coming from. I am recently sober from hard alcohol. I may not have a pupular view, but I do think you can quit addictive substances without AA or addiction counselors. That being said, I do believe you have to have a strong support system.

What is helping me right now is thinking about what was modeled for me when I grew up and what I am modeling for my children. I put a strong image in my mind and everytime I want a drink or go drugging, I think about my 14 year old holding a beer in his hand.

HTH,

KM

Old 05-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
    gdfleo
    (male)

gdfleo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkey3 View Post
    Is there any way without the help of AA to stop drinking? It is affecting my family life, especially with my children (than goodness they are young 4,6 and 8) although my father is an alcoholic, no longer drinking, but I still remember things about his behaviour that I think formed some of my personality. It is ironic that the thing you dont want to become, sometimes you end up becoming. I drink about 1 bottle of white wine per evening and sometimes have 2 margaritas or vodka drinks as well - not every evening. I had read somewhere that just not drinking for one night, then two nights would help. Any suggestions would be helpful as I want to be me - not the me who thinks I am me if that makes any sense. Not using this as an excuse, one of my children is Autistic the 4 year old and my problems have greatly increased in the past couple of years due to stress and an inability to make things "right". Anyone help?
    Sure there is a way. You can do like I did and lose your wife,all your friends,your dignity and just about anything important to your selfish,self indulgent self. It's easy. I'm an expert.

Closed Thread