It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• what is alcohol withdrawl like?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-25-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
    mommaoftwinsplus1
    Veteran
    (female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User
    what is alcohol withdrawl like?

I am just wondering because I feel I depend on my "evening wine" after the kiddos go to bed. (To relax) This has been a habit for a while now. I want to stop, but scared that my body will go into shock! Please give me some of your experiences with this!

Thanks in advance,
    Mommaoftwinsplus1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2007, 04:51 AM   #2
    FullCircle08
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

FullCircle08 HB User
    Re: what is alcohol withdrawl like?

Momma --here is the kicker! How much wine? If you are having just a glass or 2 (not huge ones) then I hate to say it but DR.'s have PROVEN that red or even some whites are VERY good for you to have each day. If you are having more and feel out of control, then that is a different story that someone else can help with, but if its just a glass, then dont worry about it, you are actually doing yourself good.

D

Old 05-25-2007, 04:53 AM   #3
    FullCircle08
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

FullCircle08 HB User

Momma --i also forgot to add, if you have had any addiction problems (substance, alcohol etc) then obviously the wine is NOT a good idea due to the fact that it could trigger the addiction again. --D

Old 05-25-2007, 06:18 AM   #4
    shay4bliss
    (female)

shay4bliss HB User
    Post Re: what is alcohol withdrawl like?

Hi Momma!

Well unfortunately, this is something I know alot about. If you are only having "evening wine" as you call it, then it does not sound like you will have much of withdrawals. If that's all you have, then you know what the withdrawals are like...they are how you feel during the day without alcohol. In other words, if you are going that long without drinking, (all day long) then that period of not drinking IS your withdrawal...that's as bad as it will get physically. If you have a hangover, that IS the withdrawal. That's what hangover's are-withdrawals. .
    Alcohol is water-based and leaves your body faster than any other substance. It takes only 1hr for a 5 oz. glass of wine to process in your system. So let's say you have 5-5oz glasses of wine in a five hour period, all of the alcohol will be processed in your system an hour after your last drink. However, when you drink alot very quickly, all of the alcohol piles up on each other. You become very drunk very fast, and each of those 5oz's of wine, have an hour each to leave your system...so depending on how much and how quickly you drink, you could in theory, still be processing that alcohol hours after stopping drinking. If you begin to drink again, before it is all gone from your body, it is beginning to pile up again, and it becomes a constant drunk and for there to be no alcohol at all in your body, you have to go completely without for maybe a full day.
    I hope that's not too complicated.
    I started drinking alot after my son was born. I was stuck at home all day with a baby, no car (my husband took it to work), and facing a not so good marriage. I usually began drinking at night when my husband got home from work, and my little one was in bed too. I remember one day, shortly after 9-11, I became board and depressed and decided I would just have a few drinks during the day to "relax" and "take a break" for a change. Well, this quickly turned into a daily thing. After a few months of doing this, I started realizing when I woke up in the morning, I felt shaky, and unbalanced. I would start taking a couple of drinks, early, to stop the shakes and balance myself. Well that just turns into a constant drunk like I was talking about. After awhile, when I would try to go without drinking, I became very sick, threw up blood, and felt like I was on a moving ship topped with the shakes. I soon became a literal "closet-drunk", hiding it for quite a long time. It got so bad that I finally had to tell my husband and go to detox and rehab.
    So with alcohol, it definately depends on how much you drink, how often you drink, and how long you've been doing it. I ended up going to detox at least 10 times in a 4 year period. I also tried detoxing on my own.
    If you are feeling really terrible when you do not drink, that is an indication of how bad the withdrawals will be. If you get the shakes, feel unsteady, you definately have got to have medical help to detox. It can kill you to stop without meds. I stopped one time by myself, about 3 years after my first detox, and I ended up halucinating, and almost no potassium in my body, which will cause death. I now, have not drank in a year and a half-actually as of the 24th of this month!
    I was a very severe case. But I have detoxed from not so severe, to so severe I can't remember about a year and a half of my life. When it is bad enough that you need to drink to be normal, detoxing is extremely painful and scary and down right dangerous. They give you a drug called Librium to withdrawal, which stabilizes you. They also many times give you a tranquilizer of some sort (like xanax), to keep you from going into cardiac arrest. And give you tons of electrolytes which your body has been depleted of and you can also die without.
    I hope I am not scaring you with all this, and sorry this is so long, but I only wish someone had told me all this stuff before I had gotten so bad. It would have scared me so badly, I don't think I would have let it go that far. However, alcohol tends to take over your mind and you literally become insane, so you don't even realize how bad off you are. At the point I was at, drinking becomes something you HAVE to do to stay alive. Now that is no excuse for starting again! HaHa! But that's the insanity of it all.
    If you are the type of drinker that can just have a true couple of drinks at night, then Meddguy is right, it can actually be a little good for you. But that's what I thought with my "couple" at first too and it quickly got out of control! No one can tell you if you have a problem but you. You have to decide for yourself based on what you know about alcoholism and what you know to be the truth about yourself. I know that for myself, I realized I had a problem when I did start asking questions and wondering if I might "drink too much".
    But I can tell you the withdrawals are unlike anything I have ever endured. I have detoxed off other drugs, and alcohol was the worst and scariest and HAS to be done with help after a certain point. And it's very hard to stay sober, or it was for me, because it is legal and so socially accepted and actually encouraged.
    Thanks for letting me go on so long about this. And I hope you can take something with you out of this long story and all my rambling!
    I haven't told "my story" in a very long time. Probably more info than you really wanted!

The following user gives a hug of support to shay4bliss:
    LL29 (11-25-2011)
    Old 05-25-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
    Dantheinsane
    Veteran
    (male)

Dantheinsane HB User

I used to drink evening wine, just to relax, also. I would down a gallon of Red Mountain Burgandy. Or I would switch over to beer, just to relax, and a case of beer later, when you would have to roll me around due to bloatness, I usually began to puke up the BBQ that I cooked all evening.

I wouldn't worry about the DT's from what you describe, just the fact that you could be alcoholic and need to face that truth still.

Closed Thread