It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Ultram-Please Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2007, 12:19 AM   #1
    Emerald38
    (female)

Emerald38 HB User
    Question Ultram-Please Help!

After having three surgeries last year I became addicted to vicodin and percocets. I decided that I was ready to come off of them and got extremely sick about a month ago. My doc has no idea of how much I was really taking. He suggested to manage my pain I should be able to just use Ultram now. It's non narcotic and non addicting. I used the Ultram to help with the w/d's from the other meds. I have taken Ultram before and it never did anything to me. About three weeks ago I started taking way more than I am supposed to and now I am up to 12 a day. I know that this is very risky since Ultram does cause seizures. I went on Monday to pick up a refill and this time they look different, like a little football. I am starting to have break thru w/d's already. Could it be that it's a different form of Ultram?? Or am I just taking so much that it's not working anymore? I have decided that I am going to stop taking them and quit hurting myself and finally be free of the worries of pills. Does anyone know what I should expect as far as w/d's are concerned? Should I taper or go cold turkey, I did c/t off the other meds and that was no fun. Very confused and want my life back. Help???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
    flushed
    (female)

flushed HB User
    Re: Ultram-Please Help!

Hello and welcome! If you click on my name next to this post you will see what I went through w/d'ing from Tramadol (which is Ultram.) I posted here on the first day that I "flushed" (hence my name :-) my tramadol and went c/t. It is pretty awful, much like an opiate w/d but some who have quit opiates and Ultram say that Ultram is harder.

I think that it would be best for you to taper down. Tramadol works on your seretonin much like an anti-depressant and if you stop taking 12 pills per day at one time I fear that it would be too much for your brain to handle. I did my c/t from 1 50mg. pill 3x per day. Maybe taper each week 1/2 a pill per dose?

Good Luck! I have been free from Tramadol for 3 months now and I am so happy.

If you have any questions, post them here and I would be happy to help you through this with anything in my ability.

I will be thinking of you and praying for you!!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
    smoochy39
    (female)

smoochy39 HB User

I don't know much about ultram, but hate when people/dr's say it's non narcotic/non addicting. It's like a synthetic narcotic, and simple ibuprofen can be addicting to an addict. But aside from that, yes it can cause physical dependence.

If you can taper, it's probably always the best way to go. Unfortunately for me and my problem with hydro, I just can't slow down. I'm trying to get a plan in place so I can get out of this cycle. It sure is hard, and my heart goes out to you.

Good luck with your struggle.
    smoochy

Old 06-07-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
    shay4bliss
    (female)

shay4bliss HB User

Hi Emerald,

I hate to tell ya, but yes it's addictive. For awhile it was posed as not being so, however it's known now that it is. I have seen alot of posts on here about people having some really serious problems with "overdoing" it with Ultram.
    The ones I used to take were footballs and I was addicted to them too.

I started taking them for the same reason, because I thought they weren't addictive, but soon found out when I stopped taking them that they were. Luckily I didn't have the problems with w/ding from them that I have read about others here.

Something I've noticed about pain meds....for myself anyway....
    They stop working on pain, and really start doing more for our minds. I take hydro and it doesnt' matter sometimes how much I take, I still hurt...and I don't change brands....

So it may be that yes it's just because you're taking so much, That's also why , I think, that so many people change meds to stronger and stronger Rx's.
    Shay

Old 06-08-2007, 12:23 AM   #5
    Emerald38
    (female)

Emerald38 HB User

Hello Shay,
    Ya, the ones I am taking now are little footballs too. Today I only took 8. Just feel really really tired. Trying not to get depressed. I have alot going on in my life right now and if I let it, it could really get me down. Tomorrow when I wake up I am going to see how long I can go without them. I am going to try and take them only at night to help with my RLS. other than that I have no other reason to be taking them, I will let you know how it goes.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:26 AM   #6
    Emerald38
    (female)

Emerald38 HB User

Hello Smoochy,
    I had the same problem with the vics and the percs, I went cold turkey over a month ago and thought that it was the end for me. That is why I started the Ultram to help get me thru the withdrawals. I should have only taken them for 10 days and then stopped. I am really ****** at myself. I have not been pill free for a year and a half now. Sometimes I stop and think, seriously, how in the hell did I get here? Why did I do this to myself, and then I start to think of all the horrible things I have done to get more pills and I just want to vomit. This is going to be a really hard one to get over. I am glad that I have all of you to turn to. No one in my life knows about the Ultram. They all know about the other stuff, but they thought that it was over and done with. Tomorrow is a new day.

Old 06-08-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
    Emerald38
    (female)

Emerald38 HB User

Hey flushed, i am glad that you are here for me and don't get sick of me, lol, i am going to need alot of support right now. as i Posted above, i have not been pill free for over a year now and I am so mad at myself and very disgusted. i should have stopped these a long time ago. i have been taking them for about a month and a half up to 12 a day. i only took 8 today and feel really tired. i am only going to try and take them at night for my RLS and see how it goes, i just hope i don't get very depressed. thanks for sharing your story with me, i don't feel so alone!

Old 06-08-2007, 06:09 AM   #8
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Emerald

I have never taken Ultram, but am only too familiar with them because of this board. Sometimes we need narcotics for pain and it is good that they are available. It is proper to use them when truly needed.

I guess my fear for you is that you might need more knowledge about the total effects of narcotics, especially opiates and opiate -like products. These meds do not actually treat pain. They are useful because they have the ability to make the brain unaware of the sensations of pain. Unfortunately, they can also (and often do) lead to depression if used for long periods of time. Bummer. They can lead to deep depression being on them and sure as anything, they certainly do lead to a period of depresion coming off them. However! The depression coming off them, when we work really hard to combat it, can pass relatively quickly. Yes, absolutely.

I wish you well in your efforts. Yes, I agree, start taking them when it is at the "breaking point", holding off as you can, is a very good idea. You will be okay, emerald. Stay with us for support.

Good wishes, reach

Old 06-09-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
    Fancyface102
    (female)

Fancyface102 HB User

Hey Emerald

I am VERY familiar with Ultram. I started taking it about 3 years ago for a back injury and I never could get off of them until about 2 weeks ago I went cold turkey. Ultram does help with pain, you can get them easier from Doctors more so than hydros, vics, perc etc; because they are not controlled and most Doctors don't believe they are addictive in the same light. So with that , I always had ample supply of them. They do often come in different shapes and sizes but that has no significance.

With tram, you will start out only having to take a couple throughout your day and then before you know it, you're having to take more and more each day to tolerate any pain and to avoid the withdrawals. It kind of snuk up on me when I realized that I was letting it take over my life.

I don't know how many you are up to taking each day ( my high was about 16 a day) but I strongly encourage you to quit taking them now. The sooner the better. I quit cold turkey but everyone is different, maybe tapering off them would work for you. (wean off) If you choose to stay on them , you will one day end up where I was at and the recovery WD is going to be that much harder on you. Getting off Ultram us ____! Extremely hard, I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy if I had one, really....it''s that bad!

I can tell you what to expect and what to do to help with it if you decide to quit them, as many on here also, we have all been there. I am still in the middle of what I call "self detox" I chose to do it all by myself. ( no detox centers, rehab etc; ) and I'm going on 3 weeks off Ultram. I will never look back on them devil pills .........I hope you make the right decision for yourself. Keep posting for support
    God Bless ya through - Fancy

Old 06-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #10
    shay4bliss
    (female)

shay4bliss HB User

Hey Fancy,

Yes it is so disappointing about Ultram! It works so well, it did for me anyway, on pain. Better than hydro actually. I thank the Lord I didn't get too attached to them. I'd have one more item on the long list of things I'm addicted to to get off of! Definately don't need that. Luckily I only took it for around 3 or 4 months and didn't experience too much w/d's when I quit them. Didn't even know I was getting a little hooked on them until I did go off of them.

I had to go to the ER for pain once and they gave me Ultra by injection. It worked so well that I asked my orthopeodic surgeon to prescribe them for me. I told him I wanted them because they worked so well and they weren't addictive. I remember him saying, "I'm not convinced that they aren't addictive." How right he was.

Shay

Old 06-09-2007, 01:49 PM   #11
    kandr73
    Inactive
    (female)

kandr73 HB User

I take ultram when I run out of vikes to ward off withdrawls. I like them but take alot of them, and then I go back to the vikes. By what Ive read on here they are really evil. Also be sure to relize when we have other things going on in our lives, we tend to wanna take more of everything.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:37 AM   #12
    Emerald38
    (female)

Emerald38 HB User

Hey FancyFace, thanks for the response. The highest I ever got was 12 a day. I am going to quit them starting tomorrow. I have I think 10 left, and I am going to save them for night to help with the RLS. I have cold turkeyied off of methadone, vics and percocet. Is this going to be more of the same? Could you please tell me what to expect? Thanks so much!

Old 06-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #13
    Fancyface102
    (female)

Fancyface102 HB User

Hey Emerald!

I'm SO happy to know that you want to quit Tram, I really feel that it would be the best decision you will ever make for yourself. As with any drug, It can seriously rob you of your life if you let it get a hold of you. Making sure that I had enough of these little pills every single day to get me by was totally draining me physically and mentally. I felt like any day I was going to have a nervous break down, I seriously felt mentally unstable toward the end and I knew I had to make a change to get my life back. I wasnít me anymore, I didnít even look like me anymore. I was someone else at this point and it wasnít fair to myself or to my family. So with everything in me I decided to let go, no matter how hard it was going to be, I prepared mentally and set my mind up to do it and get it over with.

I made the decision to quit ctí because I had tried the tapering thing in past times, and it never helped me. Iím the type of person that has to be cut off dry or else Iíll still dip and dabble.
    So I purposely planned the date I was going to do it in knowing that I would be left with nothing for the following day and no way possible to get a refill any time soon.

I can tell you some of the withdrawal symptoms I had (and still have) but keep in mind everyone is different in how they tolerate detox and also the intensity of it may differ because of how long youíve been on them and how much of it you were taking.

Once your last dose wears away and you would normally take another dose youíll begin to feel the withdrawals coming on. Extreme fatigue, your body aches all over. As it progresses those symptoms just intensify, you might get a headache or migraine that lingers for a couple days. Stomach nausea, diarrhea, stomach pains, severe cramping. Cold body chills, clammy skin, sweating. Restless Leg Syndrome ( creepy crawlies) Insomnia, loss of appetite, loss of weight, dehydration, inability to focus, anxiety, thoughts of depression with a sense of hopelessness.

The first 3 - 5 days are probably the worse with all these symptoms but from there each day will taper down some and get easier. There was a moment during that first week I almost gave in because of the agony I felt. But that is just your mind being weak and talking to you. You have to be really focused on what your doing and why, donít lose sight of whatís around that corner once itís all over with, your freedom!

Today is day 17 for me and the only symptoms I still feel is my stomach will hurt sometimes here and there, I have to eat light portions and keep some Imodium on hand. I canít sleep at night ( Insomnia) so Iím taking something to help me with that, I hear it takes over a month for your normal sleeping pattern to return. I still will feel a slight ďchillĒ come through me but it doesnít stay where as before it was a constant feeling that drove me nuts. I still have some fatigue, I have energy to do stuff around my house now and go to the store etc; but I have to take small breaks in between. If Iím on my feet a while my legs will begin to throb a little but Iím taking Ibuprofen 800mg and that has seemed to take the edge off.

After going through this nightmare I have to say it was worth it to me because 17 days ago I was run down on them pills and couldnít function without them. Now I wake up, Iím normal, I donít feel pain, I go about my day. I donít even think about them little *******s, I love it!! ( excuse my french)

Itís worth the agony you go through and if you want it bad enough you will make it through .....

Please keep us posted on how you are doing, keep posting!! It's good therapy! Since your last post Iím not sure where you are at with your detox, I know you said you had 10 left but that was yesterday. How are you doing today? If you are going to quit ct' make sure you go to the store and get some over the counter stuff to help with the symptoms because it will help even if itís only a tiny bit. Let me know if you need any suggestions.

Everyone is rooting for you , Good luck Girl !
    God Bless - Fancy

Old 06-10-2007, 03:48 PM   #14
    Fancyface102
    (female)

Fancyface102 HB User

Hey Shay

You're SO lucky you didn't get attached to them, they are EVIL little suckers, they need to have a " Caution: Evil" warning label on them

Old 06-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #15
    Fancyface102
    (female)

Fancyface102 HB User

Kandr
    How many vics are you taking per day? I'm curious....are you taking them because you are addicted to having them to avoid withdrawal or are you managing them well for your pain? I've heard some horror stories on people trying to come off of them, I'm sure it's nothing worse then wd from Tram unless your coming off multiple types of pills perhaps.....I have a friend on vics, tabs, and percs and I'm scared to death for her. In case you have tried, what is your experience in trying to come off the vics?

Closed Thread