It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• What separates a cocaine weekend user from an addict?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #1
    G-16
    (male)

G-16 HB User
    What separates a cocaine weekend user from an addict?

I mean, i don't get any urges of doing it on the weekdays, but since last march i've been doing it EVERY weekend about 1.5 grams a night and thats it, i wait untill next week. am i an addict? i look at my self as an addict and have already accepeted defeat, now i want to quit and stay clean but seems really hard

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
    Re: What separates a cocaine weekend user from an addict?

Your question:What separates a cocaine weekend user from an addict?

My Answer: Jail

Old 06-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
    skych
    Inactive
    (female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hi there G-16,

Welcome!!
    This is a great place to learn about addictions, and get support!

Only you can answer that question with in yourself honestly. It sounds like you have already answered it.

My drug of choice was Methamphetamines and I did it from the time I was about 12 all the way into my 30's. I had almost 4 years clean and sober and relapsed for about 60 days and that was enough!!! Now I have almost 3 years.

Please do yourself a favor and stop now before that 1.5 grams does not do it for you any more!!

I would like to know if you think about it all week untill Friday in anticipation of getting loaded on the stuff? Do you ever call in sick on a Monday beacuse you feel like **** from all the cocaine over your weekend? Have you ever passed up an offer to do something on the weekend because there would be no way to do the cocaine while out? Are you drinking and doing other drugs while doing the cocaine?

I think that it is great that you came to this board looking for some answers! There are so many great folks on this board that are waiting to help you!
    Have you tried one of the 12 step groups? There are 3 in my area Alcoholics Anonymous, Cocaine Anonymous, and Narcotics Anonymous. You can find out more information about those groups by doing an internet search or looking in the phone book.

Thanks for posting.....Chrissy

Old 06-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

G-16,
    It sounds like you know this is a problem and this is a POSITIVE thing as long as you are willing to take your concerns all the way to the bank. There are many addicts who only have 1 drink a day. They may not realize they are addicted to alcohol, but, when the psycologial need/urge rules your actions, then yes, a person can be addicted and only be having 1 drink a day.

You are doing coke every weekend, and have been doing it every weekend for quite some time. I'd venture to say that you probably actually look forward to the weekend and anticipate being able to use the coke over the weekend. Do you find yourself counting down the days and/or hours until the weekend comes? Do you equate the weekend with doing coke?

By your post, it really does sound like you know deep down in your heart that this is a problem. Since you are asking, I have to tell you that something inside is telling you to stop now. You haven't been doing it for years, so please, for your own safety & well being, please stop before this progresses into something that will be much harder to overcome.

I've spoken several times about helping my husband through two separate addictions. I've spoken very openly about his alcoholism, but I'm not sure if I ever spoke about his first addiction. It was before we were married, and his addiction was coke. He had been doing it for years, and I had to issue an ultimatum because I could not continue to be with him if he kept using. He wasn't using every day, but he was using and was addicted. He stopped, cold turkey. It was rough for a while and he really was in bad shape withdrawing, but he did make it through. He has been clean of that mess for many, MANY years now.

I just ask that you realize that it would be easier on you if you stop using right now. Do not let it go any further. This drug can and WILL sneak up on you before you know it, and it can cost you everything. Please listen to that little voice in your head that made you come here and post your question. Listen to it because it is not lying. It's trying to save you.

Continue to post here because everyone here will help you through. You may not always like what is said, but the people here tell it like it is because they know what they are talking about. They take the time to say what needs to be said because they care. We all care. Find support wherever you can. If NA is something you want to look in to, then do it. Please take care of you.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
    loretta38
    Veteran
    (female)

loretta38 HB User

My husband too just did it on the weekends. But I noticed on Thursday - he was checking into it. Home at exactly 4:30pm on Friday and our marriage suffered for the whole weekend. I too told him that he had some choices to make - basically me - life - or Coke. Luckily he found it in himself to choose me and life. Hasn't done it in 15 years.

One thing is - you have to loose the friends that do this - sorry - but hanging around them - especially when trying to stop - you can not be around them. Explain to them - my choice - my life - this is what I want - hey more for them? LOL - Make the right choice b/4 the weekends become weekdays...............Loretta.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:38 PM   #6
    G-16
    (male)

G-16 HB User

i replied to your posts in the quoted text the question is in Bold and the answer is in Italics, i would appreciate it if you looked at it.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

Hi
    There is no such thing as a weekend user, it may appear so in the beginning, but it always pulls you, gets you, in as a daily user somewhere down the road
    t/c
    kadee

Old 06-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #8
    G-16
    (male)

G-16 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kadee View Post
    Hi
    There is no such thing as a weekend user, it may appear so in the beginning, but it always pulls you, gets you, in as a daily user somewhere down the road
    t/c
    kadee
    Did you bother reading the whole thread? i have been doing this for over a year.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
    kadee
    Veteran
    (female)

kadee HB User

Like I said, there is no such thing as a weekend user, a recreational user. Did I touch a nerve?

Old 06-13-2007, 10:01 PM   #10
    mk7657
    Veteran
    (male)

mk7657 HB User

Do you like the high that coke gives you? Is the only thing stopping you from doing more coke is your job or money.

I was a weekend user of coke (it was all that I could afford at the time). Then, I started meth. Now there is a drug that is affordable. Guess what? It wasn't long before I was doing meth all of the time.

Quit the coke for about a month. If you crave it, you are an addict. If you continue your weekend binges on coke and run out of money, meth may soon become your drug of choice. Then you'll be in big trouble (and maybe in jail).

One of my friends started out on weekend eight-balls of coke, very expensive. Then he started selling drugs to feed his coke habit and doing meth because it was cheaper and the high lasted longer. Two years of that crap landed him in the state bull pin. Now, he's got some stories to tell!!!

Get out now while you can.

Mike

Last edited by mk7657; 06-13-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:42 PM   #11
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-16 View Post
    I mean, i don't get any urges of doing it on the weekdays, but since last march i've been doing it EVERY weekend about 1.5 grams a night and thats it, i wait untill next week. am i an addict? i look at my self as an addict and have already accepeted defeat, now i want to quit and stay clean but seems really hard
    G-16- I am quoting your original post in this thread because you asked a question, and then seem to get upset that we, in turn are asking more questions. You asked if you are an addict. We can't say you are and we can't say you aren't. You are the person who knows that, and I think you had your answer before you posted.

Everyone here has taken the time to care and to take an interest. They/we have simply given you some food for thought about this situation, yet you seem bothered by what has been offered to you. I don't really understand your reaction, other than to maybe boil it all down to that simple saying, "The truth hurts".

No one here is judging you, but it almost sounds as if you were hoping/expecting everyone to say, "oh no, you only use on the weekends for the past year and several months, you don't have a problem at all." Well, I can tell you that won't happen. Again- no one is judging you. They are simply taking the time to care for another human being who seemed to want honesty, understanding and support.

Take care

Old 06-14-2007, 04:26 PM   #12
    G-16
    (male)

G-16 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikes7657 View Post
    Do you like the high that coke gives you? Is the only thing stopping you from doing more coke is your job or money.

I was a weekend user of coke (it was all that I could afford at the time). Then, I started meth. Now there is a drug that is affordable. Guess what? It wasn't long before I was doing meth all of the time.

Quit the coke for about a month. If you crave it, you are an addict. If you continue your weekend binges on coke and run out of money, meth may soon become your drug of choice. Then you'll be in big trouble (and maybe in jail).

One of my friends started out on weekend eight-balls of coke, very expensive. Then he started selling drugs to feed his coke habit and doing meth because it was cheaper and the high lasted longer. Two years of that crap landed him in the state bull pin. Now, he's got some stories to tell!!!

Get out now while you can.

Mike
    I don't like the high of meth, i've tried it before, the only reason i like cocaine its because the numbing feeling it gives you under you mouth. thats it and i don't do it untill i run out of money, absolutely not. just this weekend im going to try and stay away from everyone who i hang out with that does it and see if i get urges,

Old 06-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #13
    mk7657
    Veteran
    (male)

mk7657 HB User

g-16.

If you try to stay away and are not successful, you might want to do some serious soul searching about your addiction. I had similar thoughts as yours, (liking the numb feeling, socializing with people that use) when rationalizing my addictive behaviors for my weekend coke binges. It took me 30 years to finally admit that I am an addict. It's unfortunate that most of us (myself included) have to reach the end of our rope before we declare our addiction. One of my addict friends from the "weekend coke binge" days is dead from an overdose (his heart exploded).

Sincerely,

Mike

Old 06-14-2007, 08:42 PM   #14
    loretta38
    Veteran
    (female)

loretta38 HB User

A great friend of mine - weekend user - guess he used to much - we buried him on July 29th of 2006 when his heart exploded. Just a weekend user. A great guy - had a family - three boys - wife - good life - just a weekend user. Maybe just something you could think about. I wish you well and don't have any ill regards to you - you will make your own choice - but wanted you to know what happened to a really, really good friend and great guy I knew.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:01 PM   #15
    shay4bliss
    (female)

shay4bliss HB User

G-16,

In all sincerity, If you just like the numbing feeling under your toungue....why not try Ambesol.

Much cheaper and healthier.

Shay

Closed Thread