It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Vicodin Withdrawal Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User
    Vicodin Withdrawal Question

I've read in other posts about leg problems with detoxing from pain meds. I'm at almost the 2 month point of detoxing from Vicodin 10/500 - 21 pills per day and for the last week or so my legs and arms have been throbbing, tingling, just really uncomfortable - off and on. Doesn't this normally happen in the beginning stages of detox???? I hop in the tub and soak when I can, but it is only a temporary help. Is there anything else I can do to stop this?? How long does it usually last???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
    Bekah61
    (female)

Bekah61 HB User
    Re: Vicodin Withdrawal Question

I also had to detox from pain meds (vicodan 10-325) its not an easy thing to do, U ought to ask your Dr. if he is liscensed to prescribe suboxome. It helps make the detox alot easier, but make sure u have been off your pain meds for a few days before u start taking suboxome because your body will go in to early withdrawl and its not a fun thing to go thru. Good luck with your recovery and God Bless. Bekah61

Old 06-11-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
    oh-notagain
    Veteran
    (female)

oh-notagain HB User

you know, southbeach, ive read your post a couple of times and it sounded really familiar. can you believe that its hard to remember every detail of a drug detox from 5 years ago. i was detoxing from heroin, but same diff, really. ive experience both detox from pill and detox from heroin. the heroin detox might be more severe, but its the same thing, through and through. anyway, to answer your question. i do remember that a couple months into my detox, when i though all was ok physically, that these symptoms came up and kinda freaked me. it ended up going away, and i chalked it up to the fact that my body was gonna give me one last plea for the drugs, you know, one last try to get those drugs back... lol. i never asked anyone about it.. i just rode it out. didnt last more than a week, if i recall correctly.
    hope that helps.
    good luck and God Bless. You are doing so great 2 MONTHS !!! WOW !!

M

Old 06-11-2007, 05:44 AM   #4
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

Thank you for your response. It just seemed like all the other posts that I read said that the leg problems came in the beginning of detox, but I guess everyone is different. I will never touch another one of those pills! I don't care what my body is doing. I know the end result is far worse than some temporary leg discomfort. The fog is lifting and I know that I will be "myself" again, hopefully real soon!!!

Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 AM   #5
    peace1910
    (female)

peace1910 HB User

hey there southbeach,

i don't know what the statistics say, but i developed severe RLS after w/d from benzos and ambien...i would actually cry at bedtime because i knew what was coming....up to two hours of thrashing and tossing and turning before i fell asleep exhaused. finally in desperation i talked to my doctor and begged her to let me try requip... it was a flippin miracle!!! my legs just stopped twitching and i actually fell asleep with very little problem. so if you think you may have RLS, give requip a try...it's been a lifesaver for me...

hope this helps ...................peace

Old 06-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #6
    maggie0704
    Veteran
    (female)

maggie0704 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Southbeachsun1 View Post
    I've read in other posts about leg problems with detoxing from pain meds. I'm at almost the 2 month point of detoxing from Vicodin 10/500 - 21 pills per day and for the last week or so my legs and arms have been throbbing, tingling, just really uncomfortable - off and on. Doesn't this normally happen in the beginning stages of detox???? I hop in the tub and soak when I can, but it is only a temporary help. Is there anything else I can do to stop this?? How long does it usually last???
    Hey Girl!
    I've missed you. Although i haven't been around lately either.
    I just wanted to give you some of my thoughts on your post. I remember you had said you took 1 1/2 pills a few times about 2wks. ago if i remember correctly. Well, i bet that that little bit of the crap being in your system again, has caused you to have a bit of the early detox symptoms. Even a little bit kinda holds your body off from experiencing the "full" symptoms of w/d's. And being that you were on 21 pills a day, that is a huge jump to be taking none, so what you are experiencing is totally normal. That amount did a lot of damage as you can see and it will hopefully keep fresh in your mind as to why you don't want to take them ever again.
    I remember the pain i felt coming off Methadone, i thought i would die. I remember saying the same thing "i'll never take that crap again, look at what it's done to my body", but it is so easy to forget the bad things, so make sure you are doing what is necessary to keep yourself sober. I know for me, after a few months of being sober, it was easy to forget the agony i was in.
    Isn't that always the way it goes.
    I'm really having a crappy time with life right now. My headaches have become so frustrating that i have been really down and depressed. And i just sit here and think "how am i ever going to be able to be free of pills when i am in constant pain?" and of course the horrendous frustration i feel when i think of how i want to get prego. and everything is riding on me stopping any/all pills.
    I feel like running away right now. I feel like i'm stuck in this position and i'm never going to get any better so i might as well just give up. I usually fight this feeling off and go about life, but lately it's just been too much to handle. I am always in pain, which makes me more tired and depressed......i'm always tired, which makes me more depressed, and i'm no enjoying life at all bcuz i'm feeling all of these negative things non-stop.
    I want to cry, scream, punch a hole in the wall.......I swear, being an addict is so hard to overcome and i am already weary of the fight.
    I've barely weened off the subaxone...it seems like i do good one day, then the next i am feeling so yucky that i find myself taking some just to feel better emotionally. Its a non-stop rollercoaster that i feel is never going to stop. So my dreams and aspirations all seem so unattainable.
    Oh, i'm so sorry to turn this into a ***** session. I have missed sharing with you and maybe that's what i need right now is to open up again. Since i've been closed up for the past 2wks and haven't written on here.
    And my hubby is not the best person to vent to since he is the polar opposite of me. I feel like i have no one who truely understands and i just want to go away.
    I haven't seen anything from MYFACADE either recently. If your out there FACADE, just look at this post and know that if u r having troubles, we can relate.
    look forward to hear from you.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:41 PM   #7
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

Hey Maggie - It's so good to hear from you! I haven't been here much lately either. For several reasons. I'm sorry to hear that you are still having a tough time, me too, just not as bad as before. The fog is definitely lifting! Like I said, the worst thing for me now is the leg and arm discomfort. I notice it when I sit or lay down on the couch during the day. It doesn't bother me at night, maybe it's the Ambien?? Also, when I'm walking around it flares up a little. I'm trying to keep busy and with each day am doing more and more. Still get fatigued and have to try real hard not to beat myself up over it, just try to remind myself of all the things I DID accomplish up to that point.

I had gone to the dr for depression and he prescribed Prozac 20 mg for me, which I took years ago with no problem, maybe a few nightmares, but nothing other than that. This time around, however, it was horrible - I had absolutely no appetite (which I had just gotten back through the detox). I was so nauseated and lost 6 lbs in a week. The dizziness was terrible and my vision was blurry. It was really bad. I took that for about 10 days and stopped. My appetite is slowly coming back, alothough still a little nauseated, sometimes I have to force myself to eat a couple crackers in the a.m. so I can take my b.control and supplements. I try to have a banana each day and at least some peanut butter toast. I got Starbucks today and almost barfed!!!! I just take lots of pepto bismal and try not to let it get me down. Thinking about the first 3 days of detox and how rotten that was helps me remember just how bad it could really be!!!

My daughter and I had a heart to heart last night. We cried our hearts out to each other. It was long overdue. She's 21, working at a job she hates full-time and driving an hour each way to design school twice a week (full-time school). We haven't had the closest relationship anyway, so this has been really difficult. I told her how sorry I was for putting her through this and how much I love her and want us to be close - told her how guilty I feel. She told me that she's really proud of me and I told her the same and that she's an inspiration to me. We needed that.........this experience has brought us closer together and for that I'm thankful.

So where do you stand with your taper???? How's lil' Maggie doing?????? Don't you just thank god for her?? I am so happy to have my dogs to help me through this. How's the new suv? Catch me up on things!

I haven't heard from Facade. I know she had posted about preparing for detox and getting supplements, etc., but I haven't seen anything since.

I have to run and take the girls out, but let me know what's new!!

ttys

Old 06-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
    mk7657
    Veteran
    (male)

mk7657 HB User

Southbeach:

That leg and arm sensation is strange. I'm five weeks into detox, 12-20 pill a day habit, and my restless, sleepy leg and arm syndrome was gone in two weeks. If it flares up again, I will post about it on your thread.

Are you exercising your legs and arms regularly? I know that a fatigued muscle is not as restless.

The numb, tingling feeling has me wondering if there are meds involved. Are you taking any beta blockers that treat anxiety or blood pressure, like Atenolol? Certain beta blockers slow the heart down and help with anxiety, but a common side effect is just what you describe. I can't take beta blockers for just that reason.

Good luck,

Mike

Old 06-12-2007, 06:33 AM   #9
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

Thanks Mike - no, I'm not taking anything besides birth control, Prilosec, B-12, Multi vit, Flaxseed oil, magnesium, green tea extract and pottasium supplements. I take Ambien at night and have for a while, so it's not that.

I sat with my big heating pad under my legs last night and that seemed to help, but it's temporary. I'm hoping that this is the last bit of detox out of my system and then I'm done. I've had some anxiety, which I think is normal (are there any natural supplements for that?). I am trying to stay active, maybe I need to really excercise my legs to fatigue them. This is the most uncomfortable thing. I've never experienced anything like it before. Any additional help is much appreciated. Hope you're doing well!! Thx!

Lynn

Old 06-12-2007, 07:06 AM   #10
    maggie0704
    Veteran
    (female)

maggie0704 HB User

Hey SouthBeach!
    It is so good to catch up with you!
    That is great that you were able to sit down and be open with your daughter. Being able to be honest helps in recoery. We need atleast one person that we can totally open up to.
    For me, it is my Mom also. Even though i have a wonderful hubby (who is aggravating me terribly right now) - he is not a female, and he can not relate to a lot of what i feel. He is very laid back, so i can imagine how difficult it is at times to be with me who is insanely emotional and very very open. I've always been very open.....I can't hold stuff inside. This can be good or bad.
    I am sort of tapering. Although i've had a bout of terrible headaches the past 2wks. and that makes it VERY difficult to keep up tapering. But one good thing is i haven't yet taken the full amt. of what i used to. So basically, i'm moving very very slowly. It gets so frustrating that i want to just go CT and move past it, but with working and having to function (which is hard enough even on meds.) it is just not an option right now.
    I really am debating on just getting pregnant even though i'm not where i want to be, that way i'll be forced to quit everything. But i am also afraid that i will not be able to quit even with knowing i'm pregnant. I worry that with the "feelings" that pregnancy brings, it will be too much on top of my normal issues and i'll just cave.
    So basically i am going about each day extremely angry at myself for not jumping on this and tackling it. And my headaches/migraines don't help with me feeling ready to kick this. My Dad says that i am in no place to be getting preg. w/being as "sick" as i am....but i wonder "will i EVER be good enough to justify getting preg.?"
    Anyways, enough of me.........
    So your totally free of the demons huh? I admire you!!!!!!!! Your so so good!
    My Maggie girl is a blessing that's for sure. She is so freakin' cute i could eat her up! Her hair is really fluffy and long right now and she looks like a chubbo But we don't tell her that bcuz we don't want to hurt her feelings...
    I will check back later & hope to hear from you!
    Take care you!

Old 06-14-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

Hi Maggie - Sorry it's taken a while to respond. I started a new job yesterday. It was awful!!! It's a long story, but I'll try to nutshell it........basically I went into what I knew could potentially be a stressful situation and had no idea just how bad it would really be!!! This is a field that I've been in pretty much my whole career, so I "knew" what to expect. Let's just say, it was a total nightmare!!! I knew there were problems within the first couple hours of being there........come to find out the place has changed hands 3 times in the last year, along with most of the employees (more than 3 times in a year, including the manager), constant complaints from customers, just a total lack of concern on the companies part. I got no training and was then informed in a meeting that I would be working EVERY weekend starting this weekend!!!!!!! Um, can we say pis*ed???? (The manager is home on bed rest for a week so I'm hearing this from others, not the person who offered me the job!) I calmly told them that this is not what I agreed to and that I had nowhere near the training necessary to be left alone on the property yet!!!!!!! Oh, and did I mention that these 3 girls had gone out the night before, came in late while I waited outside the front door and reeked of booze all day long?!?!?! That's just the tip of tip of the iceburg! Talk about a nightmare!! Needless to say, I cried all the way home after work and am not going back tomorrow. (I notified them.) I was so happy to be starting a new job and cannot believe that this happened! I came home from work last night trying to be optimistic, thinking today would be better.......and it's just such a letdown! My daughter was home and asked me if it went better today and I broke down. I told her what happened and that I feel like I let her down. She said she's more concerned for my wellbeing. I'm just so bummed right now......and it's back to the drawing board looking for work again.
    I honestly don't know how much more of this I can take.......it's been almost 2 months since I started detox, I still don't feel 100% (although I pushed through it to work). My legs are still feeling wierd and my head is still foggy. I just want to feel like myself again.
    Sorry to ramble, honestly I don't usually feel sorry for myself, but right now I really just need a hug........I feel guilty for wanting to curl up in bed and sleep. I'm just so stressed out right now. Thanks for listening.
    I hope you're feeling better.......how are the headaches??? I know they were really bothering you. If it weren't for the pain we wouldn't be here right now and that sux! How's the taper coming? Please write me back and let me know how you are. I'm gonna go lay down.....just want to shut today off and try to start fresh tomorrow. Talk soon!!!!!!

Old 06-14-2007, 06:03 PM   #12
    kimn99
    (female)

kimn99 HB User

Trust me you will all feel better. I hesitated to write this as I was ashamed of my addiction/dependency. Afterall, I am a bright, educated woman and should never had gotten myself in that predicament. I did and fully. However, I weaned myself off a 3 year on again/off again Vicodin addiction. It cost me my marriage. I came home to find my husband GONE. It was an abrupt wake up call and I immediatly went into counseling, weaned myself off and have not had one since April 2006. I would take up to 10 or 12 a day of the 10 mgs. I started it to numb my emotional pain--not physical. I have a late in light BEAUTIFUL DELIGHTFUL 4 year old daughter with special needs. The "v" helped me cope. I have been in love with her since day one but mourned my dream for her. I have rebuilt new dreams. So far, I have not had any desires or urges to have any. I guess I know that they could potentially destroy my life and possibly lose the LOVE OF MY LIFE.

I just want to offer people hope that it can be done and I did it myself through a weaning process. I still had about 30 left and gave them to my sister and had her dispose of them. They are gone.....However, my marriage is gone too. In retropect--the marriage was not that great either. I probably took the "V"s for that too. Anything to numb "emotional" pain. Wrong use and totally misused them.

I do remember getting achy tired legs a few months afterwards. It did go away. I take multi vitamins, extra B vitamins, magnesium and pottassium. I also have limited my caffeine intake. I try to walk as much as possible too. Also lots of water.

Here I am 15 months later feeling pretty much back to my own self. There is hope and please keep forging ahead and fight the good fight. You "can" and will do it.

I do take 25 mg Zoloft and ambien for sleep. I am anxious by nature. If I sleep well, my day goes well, if I don't sleep--anxiety sets in.

Best to all.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #13
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

Thank you for sharing with us Kimn99!! Your story is very inspiring.......and I need a lot of that right now. Your daughter is lucky to have you for a mommy!!! I, like you, am a bright, educated woman who started taking vic for chronic back pain and found that they came with some "pleasant" side effects, unlike most other medications I had ever taken. I was easily hooked. I've lost almost everything and am fighting hard to get it all back. I just cannot imagine going through this physical and emotional stuff on an ongoing basis. Don't get me wrong, I feel way better than I did at the beginning of detox, however, I would give anything to feel energetic and happy again. Like myself! I take supplements, don't really know if they're helping, but they can't hurt, right????

There are so many of us here with similar situations....all looking for support and someone to listen, when our "friends" won't cuz they just don't care. It can be a very isolating experience, but I'm ready to get back into life and meet new people ~ without the v's!!! Never, ever again!

I wish you well and thank you for the inspiration!!!!!!!!!

P.S. How long did the leg issues last for you??? It's been going on for about 2 weeks now.........

Last edited by Sunshinegirl; 06-14-2007 at 06:43 PM. Reason: More info & typo

Old 06-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #14
    maggie0704
    Veteran
    (female)

maggie0704 HB User

Hey SouthBeach!
    I am so sorry! I haven't been on this board in a long time, and i just happened to stumble across this post you made on 6/14. I didn't know you had written back and i wanted to see how you were doing.
    I am so sorry about that job. But see it as a blessing if you can. Atleast you found out how it was going to be right off the bat, so you don't have to get comfortable there and then have it end. There is something better out there for you. Who wants co-workers that smell of booze and are not performing at their top bcuz of being hungover anyways? You deserve to be around good people who aren't going to tempt you with partying, like they were probably capable of.
    I miss you tons! I want to catch up with you, but i want to make sure your on the board and checking this before i catch you up on me.
    Are you around???? Let me know so we can link up again!
    Sad to see that Facade hasn't been around. I just quickly checked the threads and who most recently posted on them and didn't see her name. I hope she is o.k.
    Let me know if your round and i'll write back.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:47 PM   #15
    Feprincess
    (female)

Feprincess HB User

Hey south beach, hopefully by now your symptoms are diminishing. I have the same symptoms in my legs and whole body. Sleeping is hell because I have to move every minute or stretch or wring my hands. Worst of all I haven't even told my husband and he has no idea what I'm going through. I too ashamed at this point to tell him.
    I have been taking 5/500 for almost 2 years and the last 6 months I've been taking 8 to 12 a day. I started taking it for a herniated disc, but now it's full blown addiction.
    I love taking vicodin. I love the way it makes me feel, but do I. My life has become consumed with it. I can barely remember the last two years of my life. I called my doctor and asked her to quit giving it to me and that I have become physically dependent upon it. She offered me another drug to detox with but I could start to feel myself looking for another high. I can remember a time when I was 'normal' and drug free and happy. I know it's possible. So
    Anyway, I started doing research on what the chemical reactions your body has to vicodin and how it suppresses your nervous system. The basic thing I found was suppression of serotonin (please correct me if I'm wrong).
    I'm lucky to live in San Francisco and have this amazing herb store here with very knowledgeable folks, so what I bought was Tryptophan (take with B6 and niacin) to help with sleeping. You can take this with sleeping aids too, but it helps your body start to produce its own serotonin again. But they also gave me a tincture for my legs that I drink 5 to 6 times a day or whenever my legs start to feel funny. It's called 'Nervous System Tonic' and it's made by Herb Pharm in Williams, Oregon. You feel it move through your system about 5 minutes after you take it and it has an incredibly calming affect on your body.
    It's really the only thing that's helped with the restless legs.
    Hope this helps and stay in there, we were all happy, drug free people at one time and can be that again!!

Last edited by Feprincess; 06-20-2007 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling

Closed Thread