It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Say no to long term suboxone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2007, 03:51 AM   #1
    bewell2112
    (male)

bewell2112 HB User
    Say no to long term suboxone

I have a chronic pain condition and have been on everything from loratab to finally morphine. I became tired of being a slave to medication and being sick from using my prescribed meds too fast then suffering during the evenings. I elected to go onto suboxone to get off of the narcotics. Suboxone is a miracle drug, IF USED NO LONGER THAN 5-7 days. I have quit narcotics and been thru the sickness which lasts no longer than a 5 days. I slowly tapered suboxone to a quarter tablet and less than per day and quit. I have never been so sick in my life. After 7 days, I just wanted to die, so I took a small peice thinking it was out of my system and got sick all over again. The doctors dont tell you this. PLEASE, I'M BEGGING ANYONE WHO IS CONSIDERING LONG TERM USE, TO NOT GO THERE. YOU WILL BE SORRY AND SICK. Use the suboxone to make the transition and opt for a 12 step program or other if you feel you are in danger of using narcotics again. I'm into week 2 and am still sick with diarrhea, body aches, extreme lethargy-and non-stop insomnia. Do the research and ask the questions you need to ask before embarking on this "cure" The doctors are making money hand over fist and want you to be on it for a lifetime. My doctor even told me without knowing my history, "You'll probably need to stay on this forever." I think if the doctors are really interested in your well being, they'd try to get you totally clean first. Some people may need too, but trying to live free and clean first is the best option. I hope this helps someone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2007, 08:30 AM   #2
    oh-notagain
    Veteran
    (female)

oh-notagain HB User
    Re: Say no to long term suboxone

you got sick coming off 2mg? how long were you on it? i am curious. no, now im scared. been on it for a month. down to 2mg. cant seem to make the jump to 1mg. keep saying tomorrow, tomorrow...........

take care,

m

The Following User Says Thank You to oh-notagain For This Useful Post:
    JenLynn7 (05-01-2011)
    Old 06-17-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
    dfroman1166
    (female)

dfroman1166 HB User

I have been taking sub now for close to 12 weeks. I had started a 2 mg taper every week until I was down to 2 mg.'s and then I started to feel crappy-leg cramps diarrhea exreme lethargy. This went on for about 4 days-NOTHING like cold turkey from say vicoden or percocet. Went I got to 1 mg. I was feeling good. If I missed a dose or 2, I felt fine. I'm now on a matinence dose of 2mg's for as long as I want/need. My doctors and therapist have said that only I can determine when I feel ready to come off. I've had some pretty awful things going in the last few years and I know that if I come off now I will end up using again by this time next year.
    I go to a great support group and have my loved ones supporting me. I realize that some people would consider me still using drugs but I don't feel that way at all. Sub has saved me from a very dark and depressing future. My ultimate goal is to feel strong emotionally and find the right antidepressant(s) for me and THEN come off the sub. If that takes a year, 5 years or 20 years so be it. I don't worry about w/d's because I've already been there and it was a walk in the park compared to the w/d's from the pain meds.
    Everyones different though so some people may have a hard time others not. My Doc told me he's had patients call him after a few days off the sub and thanking him saying they had no w/d's. Lucky him!
    I know alot of people will disagree with the long term sub use but I really trust my doctor at this point.

Dee

btw- bewell didn't you tell your sub doc how sick you were? My doc did say that some people will feel sick and if I did to let him know right away.

Last edited by dfroman1166; 06-17-2007 at 05:12 PM.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
    oh-notagain
    Veteran
    (female)

oh-notagain HB User

my question is; do you take 2mg when you first get up and then thats it till the next day?
    thanks,

m

Last edited by Administrator; 07-12-2007 at 06:07 PM.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:05 AM   #5
    bewell2112
    (male)

bewell2112 HB User

just get well and get off of it. i was taking the 8mg tablet, did 2 weeks on a half, went to a quarter tab for a week and I was feeling the pain. when desperate, I'd take even a smaller peice and finally got fed up. I was on suboxone for about 5 months. I also started at a max dose of 4 tabs a day. It might not be as bad for you. Just do it, you will get through it. Dope sikness is hell, but I promise it will pass. When I started detoxing from suboxone, I couldnt believe what I was going thru, which led me to these message boards and internet research. My personal opinion is that doctors are making mistakes replacing one poison for another. A good sponsor if you need one will never make you sick. I'll keep checking your posts. Hang in there, I swear you will make it thru. In life, when you look back, it will be a small part of it and hopefully like me, give me a potent reminder not to ever go there again.... you can do it. Focus on the future and tomorrow when u feel bad, I kept telling myself, it cant be like this 4ever.

Last edited by Administrator; 07-12-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:17 AM   #6
    bewell2112
    (male)

bewell2112 HB User

My doctor wanted me to stay on life-long. He did say it was possible to "wean off." I've also had bad things going on last year, this year and ongoing. For me, these things were more difficult to deal with on this medication. When I was totally clean, I was strong and could handle just about anything well. But it is a very individual decision. I've spent countless hours researching this, even at times when I could barely sit up, and more often than not, I've found people that have had more similiar experiences to my own than not. BUT, if you think stopping suboxone will cause you to relapse to narcotics use, stay on it. It is definately a stabilizer and can allow you to live narcotic free without cravings. I just didnt want to be a slave to anything anymore and knew it had to stop one day. The time just happened to b right 4 me and I needed my full strength to deal with the issues in my life... do what you have to do to stay narcotic free-the docs that are involved with dispensing this have slanted viewpoints...they believe in it, long term. The only person who knows whats right for you is you. I have faith from afar,..you will know when the time is right for you to stop. I did. Will send a prayer up to the big man 4 u.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:25 AM   #7
    bewell2112
    (male)

bewell2112 HB User

In reference to calling your doctor if you become sik, yes, I forgot to mention...doctors can prescribe some non-addicting medication such as muscle relaxers/leg cramps, anti-diarrhea meds, things to help u sleep and 4 stomach cramps that can help u through. Def/ doesnt make it that much easier. Another suggestion for any others reading this, stock up on Ensure, you won't have much of an appetite...and keep yourself hydrated.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #8
    dfroman1166
    (female)

dfroman1166 HB User

Yes...there are some meds out there that can really help. My doc prescribed clonidine-really helped with the whole leg issues. There the WORST!! I would love to be dependant on NOTHING I just know that I will relapse right now. When I went down to 1 mg. I was very depressed and was very close to stopping the sub and getting a hold of some vicoden! I can't handle the depression! I've NEVER felt normal in my life until I took a pain killer-so for me these drugs were like a dream come true,my saving grace! I never really experienced the "high" other people get-just a calm feeling. I still think sometimes that "I need these drugs to ever be a normal person". I know thats the addiction talking but i'm in no way ready to come off the sub. I want to be normal and not have to take opiates to function!
    Hopefully that day will come soon. Maybe if I won the lottery? LOL!!

Dee

bewell...I wish that I could say that I handle things better off the sub..but It's just not true! It makes me very sad to admit that! Thanks for your prayers.

Last edited by dfroman1166; 06-18-2007 at 06:15 AM.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
    oh-notagain
    Veteran
    (female)

oh-notagain HB User

well, as of today i went down to 1mg this morning. its almost 1 and so far so good.
    are you serious when you say that coming off of even this small a dose is hell? ive been through heroin w/d before (and perc, etc) (been an addict for a long long time) 5 1/2 years is the most ive had sober. what a blessing. i dont feel like i'll relapse again b/c ive got my aa sponsor, meetings, a great support group. i also have had those years sober. when i relapsed this time i had hurt my back very badly and self medicated with oxycontin 80mg for 10 days. thats why i went on sub. i had heard such great things about it i thought it would be a win-win situation. i dont get high on it, so i dont crave the high, you know? i just thought it would be a good way out of what i had gotten myself into. everyone in my group knows whats going on with me at my meetings. noone knows anything about sub (they know i take it, but they are not familiar with it), so you've (both) been such a great help. thank you.
    now im scared to come off. i cant miss work. i am a personal trainer, im supposed to be the epitome of health and wellness !!! ugh !! what a great role model i've become !!!
    i will keep you posted and let you know how the taper goes. i was gonna taper off 1mg by next monday. do you still think i will need time from work? i'll have to plan differently in that case.

thanks so much for everything.... m

Last edited by oh-notagain; 06-18-2007 at 09:56 AM.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #10
    dfroman1166
    (female)

dfroman1166 HB User

M...everyone reacts differently. I went thru some mild w/d's at 2mg's. It was totally tolerable. You may feel absolutly nothing going from 1mg. - none. Bewell says it was HELL for him-so you can never tell. The good thing is that you have had no ill effects thus far. I think you'll be o.k.. What I was told is that you may feel some w/d's but nothing compared to w/d's off herion and pain killers.

Good luck and keep us posted
    Dee

Old 06-19-2007, 02:43 PM   #11
    oh-notagain
    Veteran
    (female)

oh-notagain HB User

thanks. i'll post how im doing... so far no good on the drop to 1mg. yesterday anyway. today is better. monday i had to take another dose at 4pm because i was so very uncomfortable and had to go back to work for a couple clients and to teach a spin class. so i took another 1mg. but today so far so good. still feel ok at 5:30 and no plans for the eve. im gonna stick it out !!!

m

Old 06-19-2007, 11:06 PM   #12
    Podee
    Veteran
    (male)

Podee HB User

Yep, I agree, opiates are bad stuff. The worst thing that can happen to a man. Or woman, for that matter.

Been there. Clean and sober now for many years.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:57 AM   #13
    maggie0704
    Veteran
    (female)

maggie0704 HB User

I am on Subaxone. I am planning on getting off of it totally. AFter reading this thread, I am even more scared than i was before. Now i am afraid that by reading this, i will never do it. Initially, for about 6mos., i was on 12-16mg. a day. I have chronic pain also, so i've been using it for that...but i'm also an addict. Anyways, i've gotten myself down to a steady 12mg. (no more than that in over 3wks.) and i feel nothing. But i am so scared to go down drastically due to what i've heard and now read on here.
    I just want to be off the crap so i can be clean and try for a baby...but i am so afraid of going thru detox. I've detoxed off of Methadone and i thought i would die. Everytime i think about coming off this, i remember how horrible it was coming off meth. and i quickly drop the thought out of fear. Fear that i won't be able to handle it again. I don't know where to turn.
    My Dad is a recovering addict also, and he is also on the sub. And i work for him....so he probably would understand if i needed a few days off of work to do this, but i am too scared to take the first step. I have daily, multiple times a day, bad headaches/migraines. I've seen many dr.s and been on many meds., had tests, etc...... My pain is just something i have to learn to deal with. And to be honest, the sub. really doesn't help all that much with the pain....i'm just addicted to the way it makes me feel more at peace and happy. I get no "high" off of it, but it definitely makes me "happier".
    And when i try not to take it i feel so crappy...foggy headed, worse headache, depressed, etc....
    PLEASE, someone tell me that this is do-able! Yesterday i only took 8mg. and i was so proud of myself...now after reading this thread i feel like i have conquered absolutely NOTHING compared to what i have to suffer thru if i get off it completely.
    Please i could use some advice and support. thanks

Old 06-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #14
    oh-notagain
    Veteran
    (female)

oh-notagain HB User

maggie,

your drop to 8mg proves that you can keep going on a taper !!! keep going at 8 mg for another week. see how you do.... test, test, test the waters.. see how far you can get down. then try to go off. what i learned on here was that it could go either way. but im willing to try. i HAVE to. i dont want to be dependant on this forever.
    as far as the migraines go; have you tried the other meds? the zomig, imitrex, etc?
    maggie, please write back. i will look for your posts to see how you're doing !! you can do it girl !!!
    many prayers and thoughts,

m

Old 06-21-2007, 10:28 AM   #15
    maggie0704
    Veteran
    (female)

maggie0704 HB User

Thank you for responding! I appreciate you reminding me that dropping to
    8mg IS a big step and i need to stick to the initial plan and not let myself falter. I'm a all or nothing kind of girl, so it is very hard for me to ween slowly and be able to actually stick with it. I see how REACHOUT weened so very slowly and i admire her for that. I am the type that if i were weening for a certain amount of time and i was proud of myself for that, i would pop a little bit extra on one day bcuz i was doing so good. Then the next day i'd be like "oh, what is one more day, i'll get back to the lower dose tomorrow". And that is why i'm an addict!
    I need to practice intense patience thru this and not let myself get distracted. I have a little extra weight on me and have for the past 2yrs. (since i had lost tons of weight on Adderall and ended up in rehab). This extra weight has been something i just have not dealt with and the way i "don't deal" is i say to myself "well, i just had a doughnut for breakfast, so why bother eating good the rest of the day". Instead of "now i will eat healthier for lunch/dinner since i slipped up at breakfast".
    Then i find myself doing that DAILY !!!! I feel like i have a chip missing in my brain that will allow me to do it one day at a time, or even one moment at a time. I have let YEARS go by saying "i'll start tomorrow" or "i might as well FINISH the icecream today and start tomorrow". It's really a sickness!
    But thank you soooo much for responding.
    I will keep you posted. I am atleast proud of myself for only doing 9mg yesterday (i cut a pill in 1/2 and that was my 4mg. in a.m., then i pulled another one apart and took the BIGGER side in the evening, but it was probably only totaling 1mg.) - BUT atleast i didn't pop a whole one since i was feeling so discouraged, you know.?
    Today i'm having a bad headache so i'm laying low. Yes, i've tried many medications. I've even been to an inpatient hospital in Chicago (like rehab, but for migraines) two times. It's just something that i need to change my entire lifestyle in order to have less of them. And it starts with getting off the sub., bcuz i feel like the sub. is actually causing MORE of the headaches. Even though i know this, i still take it!! It's part of being addicted i guess.
    Talk to you soon.

Closed Thread