It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Pharmacy Questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-21-2007, 01:36 PM   #1
    TayTay06
    (female)

TayTay06 HB User
    Pharmacy Questions

Im a total idiot for getting myself into these issues but my general doc and my OB have just yesterday started discussing my pain medication RXs. The nurse filled me in. She wasnt nice about it.

does this mean I will get red flagged? I have used multiple pharmacys ect. What should I do at this point?

Is there any way to get myself out of this?

I actually quit ct a few days ago and am doing pretty good it just so happens that right when I quit, the doctors start figuring me out.

The nurse also said that the two doctors plan to talk extensivly next week when the one is back in town and go over my files in depth.

What should I expect at this point? Im freaking out! What can I do??? Has anybody else been in these situations before??? PLease Help!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
    shay4bliss
    (female)

shay4bliss HB User
    Re: Pharmacy Questions

Hey Tay, Tay,

I have been following your posts so I know what you've been going through.

Basically that nurse is telling you that you're getting 'cut off'. And they're up on what you're doing. Now don't freak out, this isn't illegal or anything..for you. So thankfully, you don't have to worry about anything legal.

Here's how you handle this....HONESTY. Tell the docs exactly what's up. Do not use 'druggie' terms. Like....addicted, cold turkey, cut off, fix, script, etc....
    You have to talk them just like you haven't a clue about all the stuff we talk about here.

Tell them, you started noticing a while back that your pain was still bad even when you took your meds and you started taking more for the pain and realized you had to take more in order to control your pain. Then tell them that you noticed how bad you felt when you didn't take your meds and you think you probably have developed a PHYSICAL DEPENDENCE on them and you just didn't know what to do. You were scared and didn't know what to do because you do still have real pain (if that's the case).... Ask THEM what they think your best course of action is, ask THEM if they know anything about pain managment...."I don't know how to manage my pain anymore"

Honesty is your best policy here....tell them like it is, but don't let your guilty conscience take over.

And don't let the nurse scare you...they love to play doctor! I call them doctor wanna-be's.
    Good luck
    Shay

Old 06-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
    TayTay06
    (female)

TayTay06 HB User

Thank you Thank you Thank you Shay! I needed to hear that. I do not mind getting cut off because I am ready to stop....

The doctors talking and the nurse calling me out is SO emabarassing (spell). That is what I get for playing with fire.

Im just still scared of the red flaging thing at the pharmacies.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Tay-
    I'm not trying to scare you, but you said you were using multiple pharmacies, and getting meds from two different doctors. From what I hear, that is considered doctor shopping which is illegal sweetie.

I do agree that you should talk with the doctors about this and be honest about your pain levels and also agree that you should not use certain words as shay said. Terms such as dependance & tolerance do sound much better.

If you can talk to them honestly and openly, then hopefully they will help you get through this. Some doctors appreciate the honesty and therefore want to help in a situation like this.

Sweetie, I'm sending positive thoughts your way! Stay strong.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:31 PM   #5
    shay4bliss
    (female)

shay4bliss HB User

Hey all,

Hey just to clarify things....we aren't really supposed to discuss this, but I just don't want TayTay freaking out thinking she's gonna be arrested so I hope everyone understands that...you have to be really 'good' to do this and not something that can be taught in a quick post but, doctor shopping is when you go from doc to doc looking to 'score'. And when you have multiple docs going at once prescribing you narcotics.You don't tell one about the other and make up stuff wrong with you...and honestly, in my state anyway, to my knowledge, it's not illegal. I could be totally wrong about that, but I've known many a person who has done this...it's very hard to prove...doctor-patient confidetiality and such....

Now having a bunch of pharmacies fill things isn't illegal either, againg, to my knowledge, however you can get yourself cut off there too or an alert can be issued by a doc.....not likely, but possible. You have to really be using alot of them and falsify things etc...I don't really think you have to be worried Tay....

Hope that might clear some things up.
    Shay

Last edited by shay4bliss; 06-21-2007 at 03:35 PM.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #6
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Thanks for clearing that up Shay!! I'm not always the best with advice..sorry.

Tay- I am sending positive thoughts your way. It really is bad when you have legitimate pain issues and depression to deal with. No one plans on becoming dependant on medications sweetie.

I think the fact that you realized something was not right and decided to do something about it immediately speaks highly of your character. I honestly think the doctors will realize this is something that wasn't intentional and will help you.

Sorry if I upset anyone, that is never my intention.

Last edited by ozzybug; 06-21-2007 at 03:43 PM.

Old 06-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #7
    shay4bliss
    (female)

shay4bliss HB User

Hey Ozz,

No prob! Don't you worry, you certainly have not offended me! It takes alot to offend me, especially in this bunch! I understand everyone here much too well!
    I just know myself, if I didn't know what I do, and was Tay, I would be absolutely freaking out! So I just had to pop in! But you know, I'm really not clear on the legalities of it, but I think I'd probably know if it were illegal with the bunch I've run around with and known throughout the years...'street smarts'. Nothing to be proud of that's for sure!

I'm glad you brought up the depression thing too.....Tay, were you depressed before this addiction (dependence) thing? Make sure to touch on that with your docs too!

One thing I just wanna touch on here real quick is that I do not belive most doctors should be blamed for our addiction...well none really. There are those out there (docs) who's main game is addiction and they know quite well what they're doing and it's about the money. There are alot who are addicts themselves....had one a long time ago. 'We' call them 'screamers'. Anyway, the majority are not and do hold a responsiblity when prescribing narcotics and know quite well the risks. And ARE responsible for a managable 'ween' for their patients. Any literature on narcotics....look at your 'interactions' write up you get from the pharmacy....will tell you that 'this drug should not be stopped abruptly...check with your doctor before stopping use of this medication'.

I have seen so many people here talk about their doctors found out or suspected addiction or they (we) told them and they just quit giving it to them (us). This is unethical in my opion. The doctors need to be 'called' on it. They don't have to keep prescribing the med you're abusing, but they do hold a responsibility to SAFELY take you off of it.
    There's my two-cents worth!

Hope all is well, Tay...don't be too afraid, but it's a good thing you've got a little fear in you...keep it...it's a great motivator!
    Shay

Old 06-21-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
    mk7657
    Veteran
    (male)

mk7657 HB User

Hi Shay:

Just wanted to jump in here will quick and say HI FRIEND.

What happened to Rush Limbaugh when he got caught doctor shopping? I'm know he ended up in rehab and could have went to jail for fraud. He's a high-profile case, so the DEA was willing to spend a lot of money trying to prosecute him.

I believe that the biggest risk is that the DEA might assume you are selling the meds. Marijuana is legal in our state, but if you get caught with x ounces in multiple baggies, the ticket says posession with intent to distribute. I spent some time on the Grand Jury, and we sent some people to trial that had prescription drugs in more than one container. I never saw a single fruad case, however, so I think that they are very rare.

I think that intent to distribute might play into the picture if the drugs are in more than one container. Moreover, I wouldn't want to have to explain to the investigating officer why I had three prescriptions for vics from three different doctors (possible fraud). If he was in a bad mood...

Mike

Old 06-21-2007, 05:05 PM   #9
    QuittinTime
    (male)

QuittinTime HB User

If I'm not mistaken, Rush Limbaugh was charged with a felony for Doctor-Shopping under Florida Law. However, I think the Court may have found that the State's interest wasn't sufficient to overcome the need for privacy in health records, etc.

I do believe that many states have Doctor Shopping laws on the books, but I'm not sure how much bite there is to their bark. It is certainly something that you don't want to get involved in, if for no other reason, that it screws up the trust you have built up with your Doctor. Your Doctor is not someone you are meant to lie to, which is the primary reason for having the confidentiality privilege granted to medical professionals.

Follow the advice in this thread, but legally, if they so choose, there are states that have laws on the books regarding this activity and you should be aware of them. A quick hit on one of the internet search engines should turn up plenty of info.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:06 PM   #10
    QuittinTime
    (male)

QuittinTime HB User

Wow, I was typing my last post as you were putting yours up. Great minds and all that.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:14 PM   #11
    shay4bliss
    (female)

shay4bliss HB User

Hey Mike,

Yes he was busted on 'intent'...he had like 600 or so...something like that...he also (not sure) was obtaining them illegally....internet stuff....

Even if you have a script in different docs (alot of legit people have multiple docs) it isn't considered illegal I don't think..and if it is, you'd have to have a really bored police dept to get into it and hard to prove..It IS though highly illegal to be in possession of someone elses prescription ( even legitimately) and you can go to jail right on the spot, and even bigger trouble for giving your own out!

The doc shop thing, I really don't know about the legalities...I'm leaning (from all I've witnessed) that it isn't illegal....but if it were, you'd have to be pretty stupid to get busted! Besides that, docs records are confidential unless subpeonaed, and they certainly don't wanna get wrapped up in anything...they're not gonna go 'report' you!...unless suspect of distributing.

Anyhoo how are you?...Good I hope, are the cravings dissapating a little? I hope...Are you still going to a meeting this w/e? I really think you'll like it, I wanna hear all about it!

I sure wish we'd hear from Tay again....she's probably worried sick!

HUGS,
    Shay

Old 06-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #12
    TayTay06
    (female)

TayTay06 HB User

Hey guys Im still here!!

Thanks for all your good thoughts...I do feel better. I am back and forth on the whole "doc shopping" thing myself. I have had multiple docs over the last nine months or so but not all at once and the RXs were for things like surgeries...that is really how all this came about....that and I realized how well hydrocodone treats depression. Anyway, Im wondering if my doc is going to call me in...I guess it was only a matter of time. Goodness if anything legal does come of this I would loose it. I have a 9 mth old baby...she is my whole world...and what keeps me strong.

All the doctors really have to do is call around to pharmacies, ask for my records and they can say when I got scripts and who gave them to me. Those arent under doctor/patient privacy laws.

Yep....Im freaked out again.

Old 06-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #13
    mys_star
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mys_star HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Pharmacy Questions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TayTay06 View Post
    Im a total idiot for getting myself into these issues but my general doc and my OB have just yesterday started discussing my pain medication RXs. The nurse filled me in. She wasnt nice about it.

does this mean I will get red flagged? I have used multiple pharmacys ect. What should I do at this point?

Is there any way to get myself out of this?

I actually quit ct a few days ago and am doing pretty good it just so happens that right when I quit, the doctors start figuring me out.

The nurse also said that the two doctors plan to talk extensivly next week when the one is back in town and go over my files in depth.

What should I expect at this point? Im freaking out! What can I do??? Has anybody else been in these situations before??? PLease Help!!!!!!!

I am a pharmacy technician and I can tell you for certain that the laws are changing! You are now required (at least at my work) to provide a picture I.D. before anything controlled can be filled and the pharmacies are being monitored by the government and DEA! They are really cracking down on things like Vicodin, Oxycontin, and the like! I now have a pain management doctor who writes me one prescription per month of Norco (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) for 124...that's it... and he does not refill early under any circumstances! I have severe back pain due to disc problems and have been on this medicine for about 2 years. When I started taking it, they were no ways near as strict as they are now! He even has his receptionist make a copy of the script before you leave the office to ensure that someone can't try to manipulate the prescription in any way! If I were you, I would get a pain management doctor if you need this medicine indefenitely! You will sign a contract with him/her stating that you will not get any other prescriptions for controlled drugs from any other doctor! That's the best advice I can give you because that way, everyone's butt is covered!

Old 06-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #14
    shay4bliss
    (female)

shay4bliss HB User

Hey Tay,

Do not worry....If all this was illegal, 2/3's of the country would be in jail and our country's legal system would cease!

You are gonna be okay ....

Stay focused on your recovery...they can't make you go into the doc office! And if they do, the FBI isn't gonna be sitting there waiting on you, unless there's a WHOLE lotta stuff you havven't shared and it'd have to be pretty substantial!

They do the i.d. thing where I live too and the drug contract thing...alllof that...the drug contract is to cover the doctors of law suits for this very thing....they'll just quit giving them to you! So take a deep breath!

Must go...I actually have to work tomorrow! WOW!
    Sleep tight!
    Shay

Old 06-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #15
    slipperyslope
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

slipperyslope HB User

Hopefully your Dr's won't pursue this with the police. The only thing that WILL happen is that your paticular Dr's will not prescribe narcotics to you again, ever most likely. and they might call your pharmacy and let them know about it to, but other than that, I hope you don't get into any trouble.

I am just curious as I DIDN'T see it in your post but how many Dr's were giving you pain pills and how many a month were you getting? This will make a big difference. if you were only getting them from 2 Dr's and not a huge amount you should be okay, but if you were like getting them from multiple Dr's and getting large amounts you might get into some trouble but I will pray this is not the case. You learned your lesson and your clean now and scared so this is enough to keep you clean and honest from here on out. I am sorry this happened to you. Do you have an apt with the Dr or are you just hoping and praying the don't call you in? I THINK you will be okay, just a scary hard lesson you had to learn but you will be okay

The worst thing I have seen is the cops came to the pharmacy once at CVS to arrest someone for doing something illiegal with pain meds. I am not sure if he forged or was Dr shopping bu the cops did come and hall him off.
    SS

Closed Thread