It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Xanax for detox of OC's and Hydrocodone????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-14-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
    Giants20
    (male)

Giants20 HB User
    Question Xanax for detox of OC's and Hydrocodone????

New to this board.

Detoxing for OC's and hydrocodone.....Doctor gave me Xanax. Immoduim and Xanax is all I have. Day 1....struggling...Having to work (office job) Any suggestions on any other prducts to use and if Xanax works? I know I need to be careful not to get stuck on these things...but will they work?

Thanks for any help...I am not good!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
    mentalvdt
    (female)

mentalvdt HB User
    Re: Xanax for detox of OC's and Hydrocodone????

The Xanax will help a little with the RLS at nite and will also help with the sever anxiety the w/d bring on. I know you already said this but I want to reinforce it please be careful with the xanax it is also addictive. The Immodium will be a life saver. I know when I was in the throws of w/d the diarrhea was the worst and with the really bad headache I had it was bad. Every time I had to get up and go to the bathroom my head would pound worse so Immodium was a must. Good luck Hun and God bless I will say a prayer for you.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #3
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Giants

Is your name a reference to the football team? My 35 year old is crazy about them. Smiles. Are you doing a cold turkey detox? There are helpful suggestions for doing any kind of detox in one of the first threads on this board.. The Sample Home Detox.

It is very difficult, indeed, to detox. If you are doing a cold turkey, I am not sure is work is going to be possible for a week or so. It can get pretty bad... like having the most severe flu ever experience. Not trying to scare you, just want to make sure you understand it is not a cakewalk.

Using some of the supplements listed in the sample home detox can be invaluable. The only word of advice about anything found there is to be careful with St John's wort if you happen to be on an antidepressant.

I have come off both opiates (oxycodone) and benzos (xanax). My last taper was from Xanax. I went slowly and tapered from both, one, then the other. I was not able to work. BUT, I had had a breakdown before beginning the tapers, so our stories are probably not identical. No one has identical stories, but we do all share some common experience in withdrawing.

Stay with us, ask questions as they arise. It is a hard task, but it can be accomplished.

Many good wishes
    reach

Old 08-14-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
    icehouse3z
    Veteran
    (male)

icehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB User

hey man, im struggling right now with vicodin, trying to get off myself, i was addicted to xanax for 2 years, its ok for the short term, but very addicting, and the withdrawals are worse, just be careful

Old 08-15-2007, 06:36 AM   #5
    Giants20
    (male)

Giants20 HB User

Thanks for the insight. I am living on Immodium. I am guessing (through reading)that the serious wd's will last 3 days...then the dirrehia will last through the weekend.

Do you start walking a bit after the third day? To get some blood flow going...

I can't eat a thing...worried about deheydration.

I hate these Xanax anyway...just make me drousey but at least the sweats/chills are gone for the most part...Would you suggest that I try to get out of this office and sleep again all day and try to get to day 3 through sleeping?

Old 08-15-2007, 08:07 AM   #6
    reachout
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Giants

Good to see you are still posting and with us.

Buddy, I couldn't do much of anything at all for the first week... I was just too weak and exhausted. Although I am known most for tapering, the first week of the taper was way too fast and big and I was in full withdrawal. I wasn't able to get really physical for during that whole first week. I tried to concentrate my physical activities into moving around the house a bit and laying my face in the window to get sunshine on it. Even that helped. If you are able to sleep, do it. Sleep is a vital part of the whole restoration.

Yes, I do think you should bet out of the office and go rest. That is by no means a sign of weakness... it is a sign of smarts. There is no way to pretend these symptoms are not happening to us. We can fight them, but we can not deny them! They are real, they are a pain in the butt, they occur and then they subside. Like so many have wrietten... it compares to the worst case of the flu imaginable... treat it the same way. Rest has got to be a part of the treatment.

Also, while the Immodium helps with the diarehha, it also causes sleepiness. Go with it.

Hang in, always keeping the faith
    reach

Old 08-15-2007, 08:25 AM   #7
    icehouse3z
    Veteran
    (male)

icehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB User

hey giant, how many hydros and how long have u been taking them, i have experience with both hydro and xanax unfortunately, beat the xanax, just working on the other

Old 08-16-2007, 10:06 AM   #8
    kdel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kdel HB Userkdel HB User

Hi Giants, are you still checking the boards? I was wondering how you were doing? Is the xanax helping? I am also using xanax to try to cut down on hydro. Can you tell us how much you were taking?

Old 08-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
    Giants20
    (male)

Giants20 HB User

Sorry for not positng but I have not had the chance....family, etc.

.50mg, 3x a day for the first three days. Now I cut it to .25mg 3x a day.

I am on day 6 and the diereha is pretty close to gone...but the gas, cramps, bloat are very painful. After the help of reading the postings Xanax is the anti-christ so I am getting off of these quick. I have been on and off with hydro (10 mg-Lortabs) for 3 years. I started in with the OC's for close to a 2 years and the past 9 months been hitting it hard.
    Xanax works in relaxing you, me personally I would recommend it because it is all I got beside Immoduim and gatorade. It slowed down the sweats alot and the racing of the mind...(*&*&* up dreams)

will post again later

Old 08-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #10
    JCS
    (male)

JCS HB User

Yes if you can sleep though the WDs.............that is great the more you sleep the less crappy you will feel.................but be very very very carefull of the xanax.............it was harder for me to get off of them then it was the hydrocodone
    GOOD LUCK

Old 08-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User

Hey all, This is my first time writing, not sure if I'm replying to the right thread...

I have been taking OC's for about 2 yrs (first started from a herniated disc, then got way out of hand). I kept it from "everyone" in my life (except my dealer, but I told him the pills were for someone else anyhow). I finally came clean to my husband three days ago cause I was taking 4-6 Oxy 80's per day (whatever I could get) plus percocets (10 - 30 per day). I have a great job, we aren't struggling with money so it was easy to buy the drugs without anyone noticing (cash advances off credit cards, using my own money, spending whatever extra I had). Well, I decided that enough was enough, cause I could not stop taking/buying pills.

My husband is the most supportive person I've ever met, and is going to help me get off these horrible, F*#@ing pills.

Does anyone have any suggestions, I'll take whatever I can get. I've heard of Xanax, but I'm not willing to start a new drug to get off something else.

My goal is to wean myself, but the craving is horrible. My husband is giving me what we've decided on, which is basically half for about a week, then we'll slowly keep cutting it down.

I'm going crazy here, so my husband suggested to join a msg board and ask you all for help. I want my life back...I'm crying as I write this. I have two little girls, age 5 and 2, and I haven't been myself for so long. These God Damn pills take over, they're still taking over!! I'd like to say I'm stronger than this, but I'm not. I had to tell my husband cause I knew he'd help me (keeping the pills and only giving me what we discussed).

I always read about "addicts" but never thought I'd ever be one - until the day came when my family doctor gave me "pain meds" for my aching back. Let me tell you, I'd rather have the pain in my back, legs, feet etc. then ever take another pill (once I've completely come off).

I've been wanting to do this for awhile now, however never had the will-power to do it alone (I've tried, but always went back to the bottle to take more).

This is supposed to be confidential, but I'll start by telling you I am Kate. It would seem more personal if I was referred by my real name.

Thanks in advance,
    Kate

Old 08-20-2007, 02:10 PM   #12
    Giants20
    (male)

Giants20 HB User

Kate,
    I drop to my knee's every morning now and night (and in between) and ask God to get me off of this nightmare. I am married with small kids and my wife is supportive as well. (to the extent she knows) We are lucky. Now, weening off is not a short process...I've read it takes pretty long periods of time on each decreased level..it can be done but difficult. You say you are financially Ok which means you must have insurance. Research local detox centers...They can take you off much, much quicker with less pain (withdrawals, etc.) I am NOT a professional just a guy that has (and friends too) who have gone through it and it was the road of less pain. Obviously after that it is up to you.
    The emotions will keep coming out and the anger too. (it is still for me) let it flow and sleep as much as possible...I will pray for you Kate...you can do it...

FYI.....
    Keep posting and CUT AND PASTE YOUR ORIGINAL thread and put it on the board instead of a REPLY to mine...More people will read it and you will get far more support. Right now people can only read your thread if they go through:

Understand?

Old 08-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #13
    TopamaxKillsMe
    (female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

When my dad died, I got severely addicted to vicodin. It was really the only thing that would numb the pain of the loss of my father. Then my "source" (this guy I worked with) realized he created a monster and cut me off, I also had gone through my PMS supply in two days (used to last 6 months). I had the chills, the sweats, was vomiting. I remembered that I had a prescription for valium (same "family" of drugs as xanax) and refilled it then took it when I was coming off the vicodin and it made it SO MUCH EASIER. The chills stopped, the sweats stopped, I stopped throwing up but I still had pyschological symptoms and cravings.

That was a bottom for me. I never took vicodin after that.

Closed Thread