It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Lexapro

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-18-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User
    Talking Lexapro

I went to my dr yesterday and he gave me 3 weeks of 10 mg Lexapro. I told him what happened with the suicide attempt and he was very concerned. He told me to stay on the vikes for now, that for me the ct was probably not the way to go and that when I'm ready (get situated with the new job, move, etc.) then we can start a taper. I explained that I"m only taking the most minimal aount of them to keep the withrawals at bay and help me to function. I'm really hopeful about the Lexapro. I'm just curious - do any of you take it at night??? My dr told me to take it w/food in the morning, but I don't eat breakfast and when I force myself to it makes me nauseaus. The nurse told me her daughter takes it at night and it's fine. She called it a miracle drug. I did take my first dose last night right before bed, so we'll see. Can't tell anything yet. Please say lots of prayers that I dont experience any negative side effects from this one. I really need it to work for me.

Hugs!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
    nabor4life
    (male)

nabor4life HB User
    Re: Lexapro

hey, lepraxo is an SSRI, isn`t it?
    i think you are supposed to take them in the morning because they stop you from sleeping if you take them in the evening...

i hope it works for you.

Last edited by nabor4life; 08-18-2007 at 10:16 AM.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
    meemee2
    (female)

meemee2 HB User

Im new to this site, i read your post and was curious,if it is helping. Not to sound negative, but i too was prescribed lexapro, have your loved ones keep a close eye on you,,I changed me and i didnt see it happening,I actually wrote a suicide note,and never remembered writing it. I literally got up in the middle of the night and was cutting trees down in the yard...Mind you im a girl,and it was pitch dark, i dont even know how i saw to do it... I went to the doctor and was told it was reacting differently in my brain...It was all totally out of character for me, yet i didnt even realise it. Thats why i said have your loved ones watch you. Its helped alot of people, im just not so sure it hasnt killed a few..Please be careful and the best of luck to you.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

Meemee - How long were you on it and what dose? I wasn't going to try another anti d because I do feel the Cymbalta was instrumental in my suicide attempt. After only 2 days on it I felt like my life was over. I have heard really good things abut Lexapro, that it has the fewest side effects of all the anti d's out there. I know everyone's system is different. I did tell my daughter that I'm taking it, but I will tell her to keep an eye out for anything wierd. Today I feel fine. Maybe I need to do some research on timing of the dosage as I want to get the best possible result. I just cannot eat breakfast and the dr said Lexapro can cause nausea if I don't eat - which is why I wanted to take it at night. When I tried Prozac a couple of months ago I was so sick I couldn't eat at all. I don't want to go thru that again.

Are you okay now? What ended up happening?

Old 08-18-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
    meemee2
    (female)

meemee2 HB User

I was also put on 10 mgs. My doctor told me i could take mine in the evenings,before bed, He explained it didnt matter as long as i kept it in my system,on a regular schedule.(i explained how hectic my mornings were)
    Come to find out,you should be closely monitered while your on it,In case you do develop suicidal thoughts. The scary part was i didnt even know i was.
    Thats why i say its real important,that someone who knows your habits keeps an eye on you!!I didnt have an appointment,to be checked by the doc,for like 2 months.Thankfully,my husband knew what was happening,and i just quit taking it all at once,Which now i know you shouldnt ever do. Long story short, i survived. That was the end of my experiment with anti ds. now when things get ugly, i just take a fast acting xanax,and say my prayers.
    Ive also tried wellbutrin,I broke out in hives 4 days later and felt like i couldnt breathe(that part could have been an anxiety attack) I know i need something for constant treatment. Im just too scared to try again right now.
    Please let me know, how it works out for you..

Old 08-18-2007, 08:09 PM   #6
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

Thank you for sharing your experience with me. You said that you didn't realize that you were becoming suicidal......how long after you began taking Lexapro did things come to a head?

I couldn't take Wellbutrin either, Paxil, Seroquel, Halcion and many others. I did take Effexor for a while, but it caused such bad headaches and pressure behind my eyes and sweating. I just couldn't stand it anymore. Zoloft is one that I probably had the best results with, although I had absolutely no sex drive and it completely numbed me out, which I already feel being back on the vocodin. I don't think I can handle being any more numb! I mean, I'm glad I'm not crying all the time, but at times I don't even know what day of the week it is!!!!!!!! I wish I didn't have to take anything at all!!!

I know exactly how you feel when you say you need something on a regular basis, but are afraid to try anything. I feel the same way, but I know that if I do start to feel suicidal again, I need to let my daughter know right away. I'm just afraid now that I won't realize its happening because of what happened with you. I just feel desperate for help with this depression.

I'm sorry that you haven't been able to find anything other than the xanax to help you. I can totally relate. So many people out there have had success with anti d's.............

I will let you know how things are going - thanks again for sharing!!

Lynn

Old 08-19-2007, 08:07 AM   #7
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

Day 2 on Lexapro - not so great. I feel shaky, dizzy, just wierd and my eyes have that strange pressure that I felt with the Effexor. I have no desire to do anything today, just feel overall crappy. I woke in the middle of the night sweating and shaking. I'm not sure I want to take this again tonight. I know they say to stay on an anti d for 30 days to see the full effects, but I can't imagine feeling like this or progressively worse. We'll see.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:40 AM   #8
    maggie0704
    Veteran
    (female)

maggie0704 HB User

Sunshine:
    PLEASE stay on the Lexapro....give it some time. And i've always taken it at nighttime, i asked my dr. years ago when was the best time, and he said if u have issues w/fatigue, than to take it at night.
    But you have to give this Lexapro a chance. Some of the symptoms could be from anxiety. You have anxiety from trying this new med., and anxiety can cause all kinds of strange symptoms. I'm not saying its in your head, but when we are anxious about something, a lot of times we get symptoms that include: sweating, nervousness, shaking, etc......
    The Lexapro (at 10mg) is a low dose. And hopefully u should start feeling better in next couple of days. But if i were you, i'd take it at night. That way the brunt of the med., will be going into your system while your sleeping. Then when u wake up, you won't feel it as strongly.
    PLEEEEAASSSEEEE just try to be patient and wait this out. I have a really good feeling about this, and it is very important that you are on some kind of anti-dep. at this stage of the process.
    Try breathing exercises......try meditating. A lot of times, our mind can start spinning with thoughts and ideas, which in turn makes our body react wildly and cause anxiety symptoms. Try to relax your mind.
    Keep us posted, and i'll be praying for you!!!!

Old 08-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #9
    maggie0704
    Veteran
    (female)

maggie0704 HB User

One more thing, why not try breaking the 10mg in 1/2 and starting out w/ 5mg.??
    That might ease you into it a little softer. I also want to let you know that i can totally empathize with your medication frustration.
    It is soooo hard to be put onto med., find out u can't take it, ween off it, try another, and do it all over again and again. People don't understand and they're so quick to say "well, go see a dr. and try a new med.".....but if they understood how it screws with your chemicals to constantly be starting/stopping meds., they would see how frustrating it is for US.
    I can totally feel your frustration.....and i hope i was not being too pushy in my previous post.
    I just worry about you and knowing how you were suicidal not too long ago, makes me concerned about your well-being.
    You really do need something to level out your chemicals right now....so lets hope that the Lexapro helps. Try to take 1/2 for the next couple days....i'm sure the dr. won't mind that your taking less....they only mind when your taking MORE without consulting them.
    Talk to u soon!

Old 08-19-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

Hey Maggie - yeah, I think splitting them is a great idea. I will try that tonight. One other side effect that I experienced was a severely dry mouth. It actually woke me up it was so bad. Did you ever have that?? I definitely need to be taking something...... so hopefully breaking them will help. Today I just felt wierd all day and the numb feeling is getting worse, which I know is an effect of the vicodin, but even my dr said to stay on it until I can get situated with the job and moving, etc. I hope to have a solid taper plan in place when the time comes. I don't want to try Sub because I know I would have to detox off that eventually. My daughter still doesn't know that I'm taking the vikes, but I think I'm going to have to tell her at some point so that when the time does comes to taper, she will, hopefully, be supportive. I am really going to need that. She may already suspect it as I haven't been as emotional and crying every 5 minutes. I know she will be really disappointed, but all I can do is try to help her understand. I'm not doing it because I WANT to, I'm doing it because I HAVE to. I cannot function and work a job feeling the way I was feeling, which I know you can relate to.
    You are absolutely correct about the stopping and starting meds. I took Prozac for 10 days a couple months ago and it messed me up so bed. I was annorexic, no appetite whatsoever and nauseaus 24/7. I lost like 10 lbs which I really did not need to lose at that point. It really messed me up being on it, but stopping it was even worse!!!!!!!!! After just 10 days!!! I was really shocked at how quick it gets into your system and grabs on. I really hope that the 5 mg works for me and will continue that for the 3 weeks until I see my dr, unless, of course, my system can't handle it, but we'll see. Gotta try to stay positive!
    How are you feeling today?? How many mg are you at now? I know you are at the toughest point of your taper from what I've learned here on this site. Hang in there girl. You've come so far. How's work going? I can't wait to get back to work.........it's been a long process with this job. I've had 3 interviews, then they called to talk $$ and they really want me to start a week from tomorrow, BUT, they're still waiting on the background check! They've had my info for 2 weeks and it's still not done. I had hoped to start tomorrow because I'm going stir crazy here in this house. I've been walking the dogs - yes, in this heat and went to the dollar show with my daughter last night. So just trying to keep busy, but I am soooooo ready to be among the "living" again!!!!! And making some money for our move, which I am also looking forward to - not the physical move, but a new fresh place to live.
    Anyway, sorry for rambling. Let me know how you're doing. Well, I hope!!
    Talk soon - smiles......

Lynn

Old 08-19-2007, 06:01 PM   #11
    oh-notagain
    Veteran
    (female)

oh-notagain HB User

i just got done typing a whole page and erased the whole thing by accident !! ugh !!

as i was saying: it sounds like you have a great short term plan in place. i hope you fare well with the lexapro, just said a short prayer for you.....
    also, congrats on the job !!! i am so proud of you !!! you have seriously been dealt a rotten hand over and over again and you have persevered and made it through !!! you are doing such a great job dealing with life's blows. we cant always be happy about them, but you're dealing with them wonderfully !!!
    maggs: how are you doing? 4mg? when do you plan to taper further? i am still on 2. i need to try to go lower again soon. ive got to give it my best shot and just deal with the sickness. do you think that if i do some of the stuff that it says in the home detox thread that it will help? like people always say to take double or even triple the immodium for detox symptoms. and there was something else??? ill have to go back and read, but its for the rls. which drives me crazy !!! i call it the "squigglies" cuz i get it through my whole body. you know, the jerky limbs and crawling bug thingy !!! thats the first thing i feel when im starting to go through wd.
    wish you both well, honestly. we can do this, all three of us !! what i wouldnt give to be able to actually speak to you guys !!!! like a real live people to say "hey michelle !! you can do this and we're here to support you !" i feel like ive been through so much with you guys. you all know exactly what im going through every day. and i know how you guys are doing/feeling too! i know i tell my sponsor everything, but she's never been through this, so its not the same. she was a tried and true alcoholic. never did drugs. she is really helpful when it comes to the program and the addict's thinking. we are all the same when it comes to that. and , she is truly helpful when it comes to helping me use my higher power to guide me, bc im not good at that. i like to do it myself, its hard for me to just give it up and let it go......
    well, hope you ladies have a wonderful night and an even better monday. take care,

michelle

Old 08-19-2007, 06:56 PM   #12
    sheenabella7
    (female)

sheenabella7 HB User

Hi Sunshine,
    Stick with the Lexapro, all of these ****** feelings will pass.
    I take a low dose (1mg) of Klonopin to sleep, it helps a LOT. When I feel anxious and antisocial during the day, I take 1/2 mg. Exercise helps a lot, I go for long beach walks.
    I also give it all to my Higher Power, and breathe deep.

Some of these meds do take a while. I just got off of horrific Lamicatal and Topamax, which caused me to lose 1/3 of my hair, and did NOTHING for the depression. I was misdiagnosed with bipolar, and I am certainly not bipolar, just very depressed.
    Up your Omega 3's, if you are taking them. I take a total of 1200 EPAS and DHA per day, you can get an excellent, cheaper brand at Costco. I also take coQ10. Both recommended by my doctor.
    Keep in touch, we care and understand.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #13
    sheenabella7
    (female)

sheenabella7 HB User
    Cool Re: Lexapro

and, I agree with Maggie, I started ut at 2.5mg for ten days, then 5mg for a week, then 7.5mg,where I am at now, and will do go 10mg on Saturday.
    No bad side effects, just the fact that the med havent truly kicked in yet, but I do feel calmer, and a LOT less crying jags.
    Up it slowly, its a powerful drug, I know it sound like a long titration, but compared to how you felt when you took a larger dose, it has to be better.
    By the way, has anyone gotten a rash? Mainly from the neck up. I noticed one when upping the Lamictal, then it disappeared when I went off of it, and now seems to be back in a minor way, lots of itchiness and dry skin. Maybe this is the detox portion of the Lamictal, which I have only been off of since August 2.
    Thanks for listening.
    Cindy

Old 08-20-2007, 12:26 PM   #14
    Sunshinegirl
    (female)

Sunshinegirl HB User

Hi girls - so today, after taking 5 mg last night, I feel really bad. I have had zero energy, sweating, super depressed..........I cannot take this medication. I don't have time to wait for this to work and help me feel better. I am supposed to be (possibly) starting this new job Monday and if I continue to feel this way or worse, I won't be able to do it. Even still, with or without the job, I do not want to feel this way. So, unfortunately, I am not going to continue the Lexapro. I just feel too bad. I am bummed out that this did not work for me, but I tried. And I really do appreciate all of your support and input. I'm really glad that this med has worked for you, I wish it worked for me. I just have to keep the faith that I will feel better over time and maybe with the new job and moving - basically starting over, I WILL feel better and happier. I'll be meeting new people and keeping busy, my money issues will subside. I have to look at the positives and keep them foremost in my mind, no matter how I feel from moment to moment. I just know I cannot continue to feel like THIS. I have to go eat something before I pass out. I hope you're all doing well today. **Maggie, how are you doing???

Old 08-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #15
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User

I've been on Lexapro for a few months now and it's been such a huge help for me. I've had 3 suicide attempts in the past and have been battling severe depression for about 4 years now. I'm also struggling with taking norco and abusing it... I'm working on giving up the pain meds but have not gotten to that point yet.

Anyway, the point of my post was this.... I'm sure you know that meds work differently for everyone... I think someone said that they have to take the Lexapro at night because it makes them tired. Well, I have to take it in the morning because it gives me some energy and it does not make tired, not even slightly tired. I take 20mg of Lexapro along with 200mg of Lamictal every morning. And then at night I take 200mg of Seroquel along with 150 mg of Trazadone. I've been through SO SO many different meds and different med combos and I've finally found a good combo of meds that have been really helpful. I would say give the Lexapro some time and see if the side effects go away. If not, I would try something else. But it is tricky right now to know exactly what side effects are due to the Lexapro or the norco.

If you ever have any questions about any medications I'd be happy to help. Like I've said, I've been on so many different medications that I think I've covered just about all of the SSRI's but have not tried any of the older groups of meds. As much as I'd like to help, it would only be me sharing my experiences with you, and as we all know everyone reacts differently to meds so it may not even be that much of a help to you! But either way, I do wish you good luck with everything!

Closed Thread