It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• quitting paxil, starting zoloft and prazosin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2007, 06:50 AM   #1
    nabor4life
    (male)

nabor4life HB User
    quitting paxil, starting zoloft and prazosin

hi everybody,
    it is me again. as i told you i am on 20 mg of seroxat (same as paxil) and i want to quit it, because it is giving me restlessness, sleeplessness, anger, headaches and nightmares.
    my first psychiatrist did not want me to stop and my gp did not want me to stop too. i went to see another psychiatrist today.

he said that he wanted me to quit taking seroxat and to reduce it by 5 mg every week. after that he wants me to start taking setralin neuraxpharm (this is also called zoloft).

i know that this is an ssri and in refused first. i wanted to start taking mirtazapin but he said mirtazapin was no good in my case (being a recovering heroin addict). he said that mirtazapin in case of addicts was contraindicated, because it makes that feeling of emptiness grew stronger. he said paxil/seroxat and setralin/zoloft actually are the drugs of choice in addicts.
    i said i was afraid of more sleeplessness and nightmares and he said that would happen only in the first few months and prescribed prazosin (i think it is called minipress in the usa) against the nightmares and sleeplessness.

i wanted to refuse to take it... but when i first tried to explain my situation to him today i told him that i feared i will never be healthy again.
    he told me "what an attitude... you fear never to be healthy again but yet you refuse to take the medication which is going to help you".

i do not know what to do. i do not want to be on all of this horrible medication, but yet i only want to be happy and healthy again.

when i got home i did some research about the medications and i learned that setralin has the worst side effects and the prazosin is not even a antidepressant but it is a medication for high blood pressure. i do not suffer from high blood pressure. i phoned my psychiatrist because of that asked him if he knew that prazosin was a medication for high blood pressure. he said: ""yes, i know" and told me that he cannot give me benzodiazepines because i am an addict. he told me that he has prescribes prazosin to many an addict and most of those have been helped.

he told me that he has really prescribed me what are the drugs of choice in addicts and that i will soon be feeling better.

please can anyone comment on this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #2
    mariogreymist
    (male)

mariogreymist HB User
    Re: quitting paxil, starting zoloft and prazosin

I have been on both Paxil and Zoloft. Going off Paxil has some pretty odd side effects, so take care and do it in stages like advised. If you quit it CT, you are likely to have a near-constant sensation of small electric shocks to the back of your eyeballs. This goes on for over a week (with me, anyway). It's not pleasant at all. The second time I was on it, I took my doc's advice.

Zoloft works well for me (I currently take 50mg) with minimal side effects. I went down on paxil in steps and up on Zoloft in steps when I first switched. My mood is improved, my energy level is up and nearly all the suicidal ideation is gone after only 3 weeks.

I am not sure about the other drugs you talked about, but that's my experience with Paxil and Zoloft.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #3
    nabor4life
    (male)

nabor4life HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariogreymist View Post
    I have been on both Paxil and Zoloft. Going off Paxil has some pretty odd side effects, so take care and do it in stages like advised. If you quit it CT, you are likely to have a near-constant sensation of small electric shocks to the back of your eyeballs. This goes on for over a week (with me, anyway). It's not pleasant at all. The second time I was on it, I took my doc's advice.

Zoloft works well for me (I currently take 50mg) with minimal side effects. I went down on paxil in steps and up on Zoloft in steps when I first switched. My mood is improved, my energy level is up and nearly all the suicidal ideation is gone after only 3 weeks.

I am not sure about the other drugs you talked about, but that's my experience with Paxil and Zoloft.
    thank you very much. i started to taper seroxat now. cannot sleep und feeling weird. that is also the reason, why i am not posting in the other thread. i cannot concentrate.
    if somebody from the other thread reads this: i am sorry. i will answer you all very soon.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
    sallie61
    (female)

sallie61 HB User

Hi, I just came off paxil it was HORRIBLE and now i am on wellbutrin i do not like it at all, i would like to try zoloft my self.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
    mariogreymist
    (male)

mariogreymist HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smeagollives View Post
    thank you very much. i started to taper seroxat now. cannot sleep und feeling weird. that is also the reason, why i am not posting in the other thread. i cannot concentrate.
    if somebody from the other thread reads this: i am sorry. i will answer you all very soon.
    Try to remember - however awful you feel right now, it's temporary and you'll feel better in the long run for it. I tried to keep myself as busy as possible when I switched, as it seemed the more I was occupied with something, the less I noticed the odd sensations. Just give yourself something to focus on other than how you feel, and it will eventually pass.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
    nabor4life
    (male)

nabor4life HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariogreymist View Post
    Try to remember - however awful you feel right now, it's temporary and you'll feel better in the long run for it. I tried to keep myself as busy as possible when I switched, as it seemed the more I was occupied with something, the less I noticed the odd sensations. Just give yourself something to focus on other than how you feel, and it will eventually pass.

Yesterday i had a pretty ****** day... but today i am fine. i am so happy i will be rid of this soon.

Closed Thread