It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

• Suboxone...I need "success stories" including tapering off

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-07-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
    Giants20
    (male)

Giants20 HB User
    Question Suboxone...I need "success stories" including tapering off

I have heard from a few about the nightmares of suboxone...and 1 or 2 (Example: Mikey) positives. As some of you know I am through the prelim with the Dr. & I start on next Wednesday with a structured program.

Has anyone been through a suboxone Dr. structured program and is either completely off or is weening off successfully. I know there are withdrawals as you are lowering dosage...but how bad vs. normal OC or hydrocodone wd's?

Thank you as always for your friendships.

The following user gives a hug of support to Giants20:
    jhadden (10-25-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #2
    fitz31
    (male)

fitz31 HB User
    Re: Suboxone...I need "success stories" including tapering off

Hey Giant, I Was On Hydro For About 2 Plus Years , Started To Abuse Them While Recovering From A Motorcycle Accident And When The Doc Said Nomore Well Those Wds Went Into Full Force So Then I Had To Resort To The Street To Get Them But That Is Always Hit And Miss So After Going Thru Hell I Decided To Go To A Hospital From The Advice From My Family Doctor And Was There For Three Days And Sent Home With A Program Starting With 2 8mgs Per Day But I Only Started On 1 8mg Per Day And Handeled It Well But When I Stopped Completly After About One Month The Wds Were Worse Than Hydro So I Went Back On The Program And After 4 Months I Am Only Doin 4mgs Per Day And Feel Fine. Next Week I Will Go Down To 3.5 Mgs Every 24 Hrs Then Stretch Out The Time Between Doses I Think This A Better Way To Heel The Brain Rather Than Downdosing To Quickly, Then Go To 3mgs Per Day And See How Long I Can Go Before I Start To Feel Bad, Giant Everyone Is Different But I Do Know We All Need To Go Real Slow When You Start To Get Under 4mgs Per Day. I`ll Eventually Go Down To 2.5mgs Then 2mgs Then 1.5 And So On, I Hope This Has Helped You And Remember Keep Your Mind Occupied And Eat Well Get All Your Minerals And Vitamins And Excercise, All This Will Get You To Where We All Want To Be Someday.god Bless, Peace.fitz

The following user gives a hug of support to fitz31:
    jhadden (10-25-2011)
    The Following User Says Thank You to fitz31 For This Useful Post:
    kimkill (01-12-2011)
    Old 09-08-2007, 05:21 AM   #3
    loopman
    (male)

loopman HB User

Giants,

I started on an Addictionologist Drs. program a little more than a month ago. I truly believe it has saved my life and my family. Two years ago I quit c/t. Four months later, I started back. I have been hooked on Loritabs for over 10 years. Before I went to this program, I was taking at least 20 10's per day. This time I have told myself, I am taking it slow. I don't think I allowed my brain to heal, before. I was skeptical about the sub. You know trading one for another. Your body will stabilize, no more ups and downs and worrying about where your next pill will come from. As we have read on here, some are getting throwed in jail. I read this on another post today, so what if you have to take sub the rest of your life. It would be a MUCH BETTER life than being on the tabs. My story is long, I have been on here for over 2 years. I know ,I have jumped around. You can search my other posts and that might answer some questions. If you have any concerns or questions, send them my way.

Take Care,
    Loop

Last edited by loopman; 09-08-2007 at 05:23 AM.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:34 AM   #4
    Giants20
    (male)

Giants20 HB User

Loopman & Fitz - thanks for your note. I am counting the hours to my wed. 5pm appointment. It is like torture leading up to it. How many days were you wd before you went in and go your first sub. I mean the dr. wants me to be without opiates of any type for 48 hrs prior to appointment...He said that normally people only do 24 hrs but he likes his patients to be 48 hrs. (Sick *******...)

Anyway how many days were you wd before the first sub pill was taken?

I agree, the up's and downs are the worst. I have a stomach issue anyway so the up's and downs hit me very hard. (runs, etc.) So I am very much looking forward to the steadiness of consistency. IF I have to be on this for an extended period of time who cares...as long as I am not buying crap off the streets, lying, wasting money, and obsessing about my next pill...I consider it a major victory.

Are you invloved in a sobriety program as well as taking sub.? (ie: NA, AA)

Old 09-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #5
    loopman
    (male)

loopman HB User

Hey Giants,

I was in wd for 2 days. Within 30 minutes of my first sub dissolving, I was feeling fine. In fact 2 hours after I left the Dr. I went to work and I worked 6 hours. The next couple of days will be tough. Hang in there. THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL.

Take Care,
    Loop

The following user gives a hug of support to loopman:
    jhadden (10-25-2011)
    Old 09-10-2007, 03:39 PM   #6
    fitz31
    (male)

fitz31 HB User
    Wink Re: Suboxone...I need "success stories" including tapering off

Hey Giants, I Was On Hydro When I Went To The Hospital And They Took Me In Asap, I Am Not Saying To Do More Pills But Don`t Be To Uncomfortable, Do What You Need To So You Can Make It To The Hospital, Just Tell The Doc What He Wants To Here, Tell Him You Have Not Done Any For 48 Hrs, Once You Put That Sub Under Your Tounge All The Wds Will Go And You`ll Feel Fine, But Remember It`s Like Changing Seats On The Titanic, You Are Just Switchin Up But It Is True What You Say About No More Dealin With The Streets And You Are Doin The Right Thing. Let Me Know How You Make Out And Remember All The Things I Said In My Last Note To You. And Yes I Went To Many Meetings, Plus A Intensive Outpatient Program For 90 Days, But You Have To Plan The Work Then Work Your Plan.peace. Fitz.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
    diezel57
    (male)

diezel57 HB User

I am currently going through a program that uses suboxone, and it has basically saved my life. I was taking up to 120 to 150 mg of oxycodone a day. I had to take it first thing in the morning when I would wake up or I would feel miserable it got to the point where I would either stay up all night sniffing pills or I would have to wake up in the middle of the night to take a pill so I would not feel sick in the morning. I would have to take them at work just to get through the day. I could not go home until late at night because if I did my wife would be home and I would not be able to sniff my pills and would get sick. I tried a couple time to go cold turkey over the weekends, but would always crack. My whole life was falling apart, my job was in jepoardy, my wife was ready to leave me, I was almost arrested, but got lucky I was friends with several officers for the city because of my job and one of them saved me. I went to stay with my parents for a few days and my friends called my parents and told them what was going on they would not let me return and I kept telling them I was fine, but then I ran out of pills I got so sick I spent todays curled up in a ball or in the shower shitting on myself my parents finally let me call a doctor to get pills, but made me promise I would get help. I had such a hard time getting into an in patient program I finally found a doctor that had a suboxone program. The day I went to see him I had only been given one 7.5 vicoden by my wife in the morning, and so by the time my appointment was over about three I was feeling pretty sick again, but my wife took me to the pharmacy to fill my suboxone perscription. I took my first half a pill and let it disolve under my tongue like the doctor told me to do. Within 30 minutes I felt drastically better and life was bearable and only got easier everyday. I take three halfs of a pill with fish oils and magnesium a day and I have been able to stay clean for three months now, and am finally putting an end to a seven year addiction to narcotic pain pills. I am even starting to feel more like my old self it is amazing. I still have hard days, but I am remembering what life was like before I was a prisoner to pain pills. I also go to a twelve step meeting that my church offers once a week. My class, my family, and freinds, and suboxone have all made it possible for me to celebrate three months clean. Suboxone is in my opinion a life saver, but it is not the lone answer you need to get into a class, or something that helps you over come the mental part of your addiction and keep your family and friends as close as possible as well to help support you.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:10 AM   #8
    fitz31
    (male)

fitz31 HB User
    Wink Re: Suboxone...I need "success stories" including tapering off

Hey Diezel, Good Reply. And Good Luck To You, Peace.fitz

Old 09-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #9
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User

I agree - Diesel, that was a great success story. Congrats to you, and thanks for writing.

I am currently tapering off of Oxy's. I was at 500 - 700mgs per day, three weeks ago. I am now down to 40 - 50 and will be done soon. Its been SO tough, overwhelming, scary, but I did this for me.

I went to my first N/A meeting last night and found it was a great decision. I am going again tonight, and tomorrow, then on Friday.

Last night - when it was my turn to speak I did like everyone else and said "Hi, I'm so-and so and I'm an addict." Then I cried. I couldn't hold it back. The support that came from this group of people was more than I would have ever expected. Everyone got up from their chairs and came to give me a hug. I was welcomed to the group and they all told me they were proud of me. Tonight, I'll choose a sponsor and I'll be at the next stage in my recovery.

So to all of you who are "clean" - congratulations. Your stories have meant more than you know. To all who "want" to be clean - you CAN do this. I CAN do this. I WANT to do this.

Thanks for reading.
    emsmom

Last edited by emsmom; 09-11-2007 at 10:16 AM.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #10
    Giants20
    (male)

Giants20 HB User

Diezel, thank you for your inspiration for me. I really needed to hear from people that are into the program with Sub and NA/AA groups. I had been sober for close to a year but my mind and cravings were still racing out of control...I knew that it was a matter of time before I began using again. I am married with 2 young children...so I could feel your pain as you were describing your experiences. The Dr. told me to not to use 48 hours prior to appointment. I am looking at 24 hrs...because I am dying at 24 hrs and I have IBS so my stomach reacts with dirrehha very quickly with cramping. I will update you guys after my appointment tommorrow (afternoon) to let you know how the sub. worked. I need consistency in my life and I will attend meetings as well.

As a side note...did any of you see the Race for Recovery (Todd Crandell) on ESPN a few weeks ago? 15 year cocaine guy who has a program that includes training for a decatholon (he is out of Toledo, Ohio) I called him about starting a chapter here.

I am looking forward to tommorrow. God Bless you guys for your strength.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:35 AM   #11
    emsmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

emsmom HB User

Hey Giants,

Just wanna wish you good luck tomorrow - hope your day gets better.

Sincerely,
    emsmom

Old 09-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #12
    diezel57
    (male)

diezel57 HB User

Giants20,
    Good luck at your appointment. I have been in your place. I remember those first two days of cold turkey, and it was the worst time of my life. They were the hardest days of my life sweating, shaking, aching, un-controllable bowels, runny nose watery eyes... sound familiar? All I can say is pray and hang tough and know that it will get better. It gets better everyday. I know my life will never be the same, but I am happy again I am well. I am more like the man my wife married, the son my parents knew me as, and the great friend my friends remember me as, and I am so happy and not pill happy. It is real true happiness again. Don't get me wrong I still have my days, and I still have my struggles, but things improve each day. Remember take everything one day at a time. Remember the suboxone is great is is amazing it makes it so you can live, but it is only half the equation. Changing behavior and conquering your inner demon is the really hard part. That is awesome you are going to meetings they are a hugh help and keep your friends and family close they will help lift you up when you are down. If you were anything like me during your addiction you started to keep a lot of secrets, and one of the things that has helped me more then anything is no more secrets. My biggest break through was at one of my meetings. My groups facilitator (I am in a very small group), suggested one day we not go over the step we were on that day and instead share a little bit more. He and another lady that have been in recovery for sometime and who have been through the program shared their stories, and then I shared mine. My wife was there as she goes to support me, and this was the first time I shared my whole story and I mean my whole story I held nothing back. It was very hard, but it was like the weight of the world was lifted off my shoulders it was amazing I felt so much better. Everything was out on the table there were no more lies, half truths, justifications, no more hipocracy and it just really helped me to realize how bad I want to beat this beast. You can beat your beast, we all can beat our beasts, I can beat mine. I wish you all the best. If you ever need anything, if any of you out there ever need anything a kind word a positive story, an ear of someone who has been there is is travelling the same road you are let me know post a message for me. I wish we could exchange emails on here as I would love to have an addiction email group. Let us know how things go. You can do it!!!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:04 PM   #13
    diezel57
    (male)

diezel57 HB User

emsmom,

That is so awesome that you had a positive experiance at your meeting, that makes it easier to go back, because I know for me it was difficult to go at first. Are you still taking oxy's and just tappering of them? That is what I understood from your post. If you are able to do that, that is awesome, and you are stronger then me. I tried to tapper off so many times but always failed. I would recommend finding out more about suboxone if you don't know about it already. It is non narcotic and so it gets you off the poison right away, but allows you to do so in a safe barable way. There are docs out there that want to help. I have only been clean for three months so I am by far no expert or anything, but that is just my recommendation. No matter what you do, I do know in my own way what you are going through, and I know how hard things are so I wish you the best and will cheer you on all the way. Keep moving foward one day at a time and know that you can do it, and that life is so much better when you are not sinking in the quick sand of addiction. If you ever need support or a kind word or up lifting story post a message for me to reply to. Keep up the great work.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #14
    diezel57
    (male)

diezel57 HB User

Fitz 31,

Thank you for your support, and for your story as well. Keep up the good work, and know you have a friend here on the boards if you ever need support.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:48 PM   #15
    Giants20
    (male)

Giants20 HB User

Well....Had the appointment. There I was sweating like a fat guy in a sauna....holding back direhha as I sat there waiting for the Dr...He prescribed 8mg sub. Told me to break in half and take the other half in a couple of hours. So I had to go to the drug store...I really thought that they would give me one to see the response at the office..but I should have known better.

I have taken the 4 mg (dissolved under tongue) I am not holding back direhha as bad and haven't had the sweats since then. So all is getting better. I feel a bit funky like a lazy tired buzz but fine. It really amazes me how many of us tear our lives up with opiates. Addiciton is cunning. You know as I was driving to the Dr.'s office today I actually thought that maybe I would go to the Dr. next week sometime instead of today. That is sick and it scares me. I have spent all of my money, I am sweating, direhha, nausea, lying, but yet the thought slid through my mind for a second and I yelled in my car NO! The devil himself developed these drugs and is taking souls by the hundreds daily....

I will take the other 4mg as directed by the Dr. in a couple of hours and hopefully will feel even better tonight,

Closed Thread